Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga

Author
Mags81
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2005/03/06 21:00:56 (permalink)

Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga

Will be in Savannah, Ga and am looking to eat on Riverstreet. I've eaten at Hueys a couple of times before and I do like their food but was wondering if there were any other restaurants I should consider trying?

22 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/06 21:14:54 (permalink)
    Havn't been down on River Street for a few years, so cant help you there. But, Lady and Sons and Bilfords are both good places to eat up in the old historic district. We looked at, but didn't try a neat looking Spanish Tapas joint across the street from Bilfords. We also went to Clary's on our last visit and had a very nice breakfast and lunch there. If you have a car and like BBQ i suggest you drive out to Pooler and try some of the BBQ joints out there, also i was advised that a place way out on Coffee Bluff has good BBQ.

Cheers, John
    jdjd1313
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 01:33:35 (permalink)
    Johnny Harris BBQ is always good, but it's unfortunately nowhere near River St. There are various cuisines there so I'd suggest a pit stop at Wet Willies and seeing what you're in the mood for. It's a very casual area and you will not be hassled walking in, checking out the menu's, etc.
    tybeeguy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 09:06:02 (permalink)
    River St. has several good places to try. More in the line of roadfood would be Spankys (Pretty good bar food, chicken fingers and potato spuds which are sliced, battered and fried), Tubby's Tankhouse (good fried seafood and some fun outdoor dining). Paula Deen's Lady and Sons is about three blocks away and should not be missed. Her lunch buffet is always great. A little pricey ($13) but in my opinion day in and day out it is the best meal of that type I have ever had including Mrs Wilkes in Sav., Smith House and Dillard House in N. Ga. For dinner there are lots of good upscale resturants in Sav., River St. having the Chart House, Boar's Head , Cotton Exchange, Shrimp Factory and others. We are gearing up for St. Paddy's Day in this area and Kevin Barry's Pub is a always fun but maybe a little more so this time of year. Enjoy
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 09:11:08 (permalink)
    If you're looking for really good food in Savannah, walk about a block back and go to Belford's. Excellent southern style food with a real upscale presentation and taste.

The best roadfood I know of near Savannah is between Savannah and the coast at a place called The Crab Shack. It's a little placve off the main road out in the swamp complete with alligator farm. Great shell fish and venue!
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 09:12:20 (permalink)
    BTW: Everything we tried on River Street was very mediocre and over prices for such faire. Might as well spend your money at a really good place.
    benjo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 09:16:09 (permalink)
    My advice: Skip River St entirely. Head a few blocks inlad to Oglethorpe Square, take a left and follow your nose to Wall's BBQ. Befitting its name, it's a real hole-in-the-wall joint, hidden down a little alleyway.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 09:29:49 (permalink)
    Completely agree with benjo. River Street is nothing but mediocre fried seafood and bar food set up for tourists. Venture a few streets over into town and it's very easy to find good food. Lady and Sons is very good recommendation, but be adventurous and look at a few menus while strolling through the squares on a nice spring day. If you only do River Street, you are truly missing what Savannah is all about!
    tybeeguy
    Hamburger
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 09:47:51 (permalink)
    Maybe my definition of roadfood is warpped but The Crab Shack does not fit it. I would classify it as vintage Tourist Trap. Sure the baby alligators are cure, so is the new plastic 16' gator hanging up and for some folks this would be a do miss attraction. However if true road food is what you are about S_B_Man18, you would have drive 17 mile to get to Crab World so go ahead and drive 2 more and try Outback Cafe on Tybee across from the Post Office. This is not THE Outback but a great local seafood place behind Chu's Minimart and Galya's Pub...Dinner only..PS Fish and Grits with Slaw and Hush Puppyis for $5.95 is roodfood.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 12:32:14 (permalink)
    Is the Crystal Beer Parlor still good? It isn't on River St. but used to have great bar food, cold beer and peanuts.
    tybeeguy
    Hamburger
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 13:31:34 (permalink)
    Ah, The Crystal Beer Parlor...Closed up about 3 years ago. Owners opened a new store on the southside of Savannah, spent too much on the building and the public did not take to this store and it took both units down. However about a year ago new owners reopened the original Crystal and they are trying to bring it back. Say they have the old recipes and are making a real effort. Has the same old feeling, cold beer and the food is good. Boy did I love the old place. I believe the new owners will make it work...
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 13:40:03 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete introduced us to the Moon River Brewing Company, 21 Bay Street, a brewhouse and cafe a couple of blocks from Lady & Sons. We stopped in there to kill some time and down a couple dozen Oysters with the samples of their beers. Nice way to spend an hour. Some of the selections of the beer were quite good, BUT the Oysters were exceptional ! We didn't save much room for dinner that evening.
    Tumbleweed365
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 202
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 14:09:30 (permalink)
    Mrs Wilkes is well worth the walk uptown and the wait in line to get in. You can do a lot of sightseeing along the way and burn up a few calories on the way back!
    River Street is fun to stroll with a drink in hand in the evening.
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 15:40:18 (permalink)
    After a few drinks at Wet Willes you dont care about eating!But I would head over to Lady and Sons.I love Savannah!
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/03/07 17:43:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tybeeguy

Maybe my definition of roadfood is warpped but The Crab Shack does not fit it. I would classify it as vintage Tourist Trap. Sure the baby alligators are cure, so is the new plastic 16' gator hanging up and for some folks this would be a do miss attraction. However if true road food is what you are about S_B_Man18, you would have drive 17 mile to get to Crab World so go ahead and drive 2 more and try Outback Cafe on Tybee across from the Post Office. This is not THE Outback but a great local seafood place behind Chu's Minimart and Galya's Pub...Dinner only..PS Fish and Grits with Slaw and Hush Puppyis for $5.95 is roodfood.

Well ok, afterall, you ARE tybeeguy.

Yea, the crabshack is a little bit hokie and it is a bit touristy. . . ok, very touristy, but the food is good, it's not too expensive and it's very unique. The kids love it and the adults have a good time also.
    Lessee, good food, unique and fun dining experience, reasonable prices. . .
    What is roadfood all about if not that?!

Oh, and thanks for the tip on Outback Cafe!
    sandymacey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/04/29 10:46:41 (permalink)
    I was on Tybee in March 2005, and my daughter became violently ill after eating crab cakes at the Crab Shack. My advise would be to skip that place altogether.
    Hunter House on Tybee is excellent for dinner, but not roadfood per say, so go to the Quarter on Tybee for the best hamburger in town. Also on Tybee, George's is too expensive, Tango is too, and North Beach Grill not that great. Pearl's on Wilmington Island is great for seafood and not far. Mrs. Wilkes is still true to form even though she is no longer with us (and the wait is nothing compared to Lady and Sons. I go to the back door and finagle lunch to go, and tip outrageously if I can get someone to spoon me up the best collards, fried chicken and rolls in Savannah. and tea.
    trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/04/29 11:10:28 (permalink)
    I agree that the food on River Street is mediocre at best and very overpriced, but one saving grace was the Chatham Artillery Punch served at the Shrimp Factory. This is a true Roadfood original, having been served at Savannah militia musters, political events, etc. since the 1700s. All of the recipes that I have ever seen for it call for gallons of ingredients and cases of champagne. The Shrimp Factory bar mixes the punch base in bulk, but serves each drink in a large iced mug (which you get to keep) topped with fresh champagne. A great way to take a sightseeing break on a hot Savannah afternoon! Do not try more than two at one sitting. This is a subtle, but powerful drink.
    smonge
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/11/16 23:30:49 (permalink)
    Crystal Beer Parlor is open and the food is as great as it always was! I recently saw an article in GEORGIA TREND MAGAZINE and savannah morning news paper, where it was chosen one of the three best restaurants in Savannah. My Husband and I enjoy their house Dixieland Jazz band every Friday night. They say that the cook has been with the old beer parlor for 35 years and is still cooking!
    koolaidman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/11/17 07:56:02 (permalink)
    Just wanted to mention this one:
    The Breakfast Club on Butler Ave. on Tybee Island
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/11/18 13:20:21 (permalink)
    I was in Savannah a month or so ago and I ate at the Chart House. The food was excellent and we had a great view from the second floor balcony of the river.

I would have to say that I would only recommend Lady and Sons if you want bragging rights that you've been there. The wait is typically 2 to 3 hours long. When we were there you could not find a local to recommend going there.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/11/21 21:16:26 (permalink)
    I second the motion on the Breakfast Club on Tybee. Get up early. Drive out there. Eat breakfast.

Use the search function on this board to find out more.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/11/21 21:21:28 (permalink)
    I tend to agree about REiver St. being mostly tourist traps. I will, however, recommend another - the Pirate House. It has been there for a long time. Robert Louis Stevenson mentioned it in Treasure Island although you may have to find a used fifty year old edition of the book to get a copy from which modern editors have not deleted the reference.
    cblomax
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Riverstreet - Savannah, Ga 2005/11/26 16:27:40 (permalink)
    I have to agree with scbuzz.. the Chart House was pretty good and pretty pricy as well as the place next door that I can't remember the name. But it was kinda neat sitting on the second floor veranda sipping iced tea and eating, watching the sun do down. Yep, they are touristy, but we were tourist!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5