Helpful ReplyRoadfood's latest email re: custard?

Author
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3941
2017/08/02 16:48:38 (permalink)

Roadfood's latest email re: custard?

This morning I received the latest Roadfood Newsletter: Best of the Best - Frozen Custard at its Creamiest. I read through the email, but was curious about the seeming omission of Ted Drewes in Saint Louis, as it is surely one of my favorite stops in all the land. Any reason that they may have been snubbed?
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 1142
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 06:31:45 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
This morning I received the latest Roadfood Newsletter: Best of the Best - Frozen Custard at its Creamiest. I read through the email, but was curious about the seeming omission of Ted Drewes in Saint Louis, as it is surely one of my favorite stops in all the land. Any reason that they may have been snubbed?

I have no idea! Maybe we need a Ted Drewes-dedicated newsletter to follow. IMO, Ted Drewes belongs on any excellent-custard list.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12330
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 10:57:07 (permalink)
Another great custard place that deserves attention is Abbott's out of Rochester, NY.  From the few visits I have been fortunate to make, I think they are right there with the Kopp's, Leon's and Ted Drewes of the world.

It looks like the have expanded greatly in the last few years, so who knows how good the quality is at these other locations.  Michael, it looks like have moved into South Carolina, with one in Greer and another soon coming to Spartanburg.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5161
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 13:08:37 (permalink)
The link in the email provides several more notable stops.
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 13:25:13 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner

I just got my newsletter, and I think what happened is that the "teaser" places listed are all ones of which we have good pictures. Strangely, and sadly, we have no really good pictures of Ted Drewes!
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 13:27:58 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Another great custard place that deserves attention is Abbott's out of Rochester, NY.  From the few visits I have been fortunate to make, I think they are right there with the Kopp's, Leon's and Ted Drewes of the world.

It looks like the have expanded greatly in the last few years, so who knows how good the quality is at these other locations.  Michael, it looks like have moved into South Carolina, with one in Greer and another soon coming to Spartanburg.

Now, that is good reason for a trip to Greer and Spartanburg. The ice cream / custard situation around here could use some more alternatives.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 13:53:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Michael Stern 2017/08/03 15:30:20
Michael,

Sunni Sky's in Angier NC is a must stop if you get near Raleigh. Over 100 flavors everyday. They have freezers jammed in everywhere. Our latest favorite is a scoop of lemon sorbet with one of iced tea ice cream. A DIY frozen Arnold Palmer.

They are TTM'd all winter.

Jim
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12330
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 14:37:45 (permalink)
Michael Stern
ChiTownDiner

I just got my newsletter, and I think what happened is that the "teaser" places listed are all ones of which we have good pictures. Strangely, and sadly, we have no really good pictures of Ted Drewes!

Michael, I have a ton of Ted Drewes photos.  Are you looking for photos of the custard or an exterior shot?  
Michael Stern
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/03 15:29:59 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Michael Stern
ChiTownDiner

Michael, I have a ton of Ted Drewes photos.  Are you looking for photos of the custard or an exterior shot?  

A beautiful custard shot! Exterior would be nice, too.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3941
Re: Roadfood's latest email re: custard? 2017/08/04 02:21:48 (permalink)
Michael, I have to admit, I was curious to see what photos I had, and the pictures of the custard, itself, are not at all pretty. You are, of course, more than welcome to use any that might suit you. If you need me to email you an original copy, let me know. I'd do my best to share whenever I can. 

I am sure that buffetbuster can tell you what is in both of those cups. 

Of the many exterior images I have taken over the years, this is probably my favorite:

And, while I know that the advent of Instagram and like programs, there are all kinds of filter settings for photo touch ups, this one has none - just a lucky shot. 

One of my other favorite things about the place is the nearly endless parade of bridal parties that could stream through on any given weekend. I am sure that I have better pictures of this somewhere, but this was the one that was easy to find on this detail.

The bottom line is that Ted's may be on my Top 10 list, not just of custard destinations, but maybe of Roadfood, overall. 
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5