Rules to eat by?

Author
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11500
2017/12/03 12:47:28 (permalink)

Rules to eat by?

A friend told me she had eaten at Bandera in Brentwood which isn't far from me.
I looked them up on the net and found that they're one of the restaurants of the Hillstone Group.
I was also immediately turned off and doubt that I'll visit even though these rules to eat by wouldn't pertain to me.

Immediate turnoff!  

Are they trying to appear something they want to be?  I do understand some of them and agree but...  Really?

Dining Guidelines & Dress Code

Dress Code

• To enhance the experience of all our guests, we ask that you respect our dress code:
  • We suggest collared shirts for gentlemen. We consider tank tops, overly provocative clothing, boldly logoed athletic attire, and flip-flops too informal for the dining experience we provide. We do not allow hats to be worn in the dining room.

Dining Guidelines

• Our dining rooms are designed for smaller parties up to 4 and generally have very few tables that seat 5-6. Parties larger than 6 may not be able to be accommodated.
  • We don’t recommend our restaurants for young children and request you bring your own child seat if you require one.
  • While we consider special requests, modifications cannot always be honored as they can impact the flow of our kitchen and the integrity of many dishes.
  • Please notify us of any allergies. We are very concerned for your well-being and not all ingredients are listed on the menu.
  • We request any cell phone conversations be taken to the lobby or outside.
  • Out of consideration for other guests who are waiting, we may ask to accommodate your party at the bar if a significant amount of time has passed. We typically will never make this request short of 90 minutes after you are seated.

8 Replies Related Threads

plb
      Double Chili Cheeseburger
      • Total Posts : 1167
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 13:54:06 (permalink)
      Why?
      Michael Hoffman
      Double-chop Porterhouse
      • Total Posts : 22635
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 14:04:33 (permalink)
      I have no objection to "No Shirts No Shoes No Service" but they can take the rest of their rules and "Guidelines" and put 'em where the sun don't shine.
      post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2017/12/03 14:05:49
      lleechef
      Porterhouse
      • Total Posts : 11522
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 14:58:28 (permalink)
      I find the menu more than ordinary and basic.  Come on.........iceberg wedge salad and cheeseburgers?  Who are they trying to impress with their "rules"?  Not me.
      1bbqboy
      Sirloin
      • Total Posts : 5421
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 18:08:54 (permalink)
      I have to wear a hat 🎩 in public. Current Conditions require this.
      I pretty much always have shoes on.
      But I really hate collars so I'm in the nyet category.
      + integrity of our dishes!
      I love LA.
      post edited by 1bbqboy - 2017/12/03 18:12:18
      IndianaPete
      Cheeseburger
      • Total Posts : 172
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 18:37:50 (permalink)
      I think they need to be visited by the Blues Brothers.
      felix4067
      Filet Mignon
      • Total Posts : 4756
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 19:41:33 (permalink)
      I get what they're going for, and a couple of those make a certain amount of sense. But what it comes across as is incredibly pretentious. Like they'd really rather only a certain class of folks come in, but they don't seem to get that the class of folks they wish would come in aren't interested in dining with them, and if by chance those folks did happen to stop in, if they were to try to move them to the bar area because they'd been sitting too long after their meals were finished (for example), they'd run their business into the ground inside of six months simply by mentioning it while getting their hair done or over a round of golf.

Me, I'd skip it. There are 847 places to eat in LA. They'd have to offer something a heck of a lot more special than what's on their incredibly limited, rather pedestrian menu to overcome their overblown sense of self-importance and make me walk through the door.
      plb
      Double Chili Cheeseburger
      • Total Posts : 1167
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 20:33:12 (permalink)
      A couple of months ago someone here on Roadfood recommended the crab cakes at Hillstone. A few days later I tried to eat lunch at the one across the street from my dentist. I couldn’t since there was a long line for tables and a longer one for the bar. And the one in San Francisco was always crowded when I worked nearby. They seem to be doing something right.
      1bbqboy
      Sirloin
      • Total Posts : 5421
      Re: Rules to eat by? 2017/12/03 21:00:13 (permalink)
      To paraphrase Groucho, I wouldn't want to be a part of club that'd accept me as a member.
      Jump to:
      © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5