SACRAMENTO, CA

Author
JaneDough
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
2004/04/24 20:11:49 (permalink)

SACRAMENTO, CA

Attending conference in August. Staying near Convention Center downtown (Hyatt Regency or Sheraton). Probably won't have a car. What are the local "must haves?" Are any of the hotel restaurants any good? Where else is recommended?

18 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/24 22:37:38 (permalink)
    try this---- http://www.biba-restaurant.com/
    Not cheap----but really good!!!
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/26 17:01:56 (permalink)
    Thanks, tiki, I appreciate your reply.

Hasn't anyone else been to Sacramento? Or don't they have any other good food there? As good as Biba may be, even I'D get bored of a steady diet of Italian food! [|)] Not to mention that my expense account is government-issue, and so's my paycheck.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/26 23:08:53 (permalink)
    Jan--got t good friend here in Okla that just moved out here from Sacramento a couple of yrs ago and a wonderful truck driving lady friend that still lives there---will check with them and get back to you---theres good food there--i just dont remember all the particulars
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1416
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/27 06:13:08 (permalink)
    You're my Roadfood angel, tiki. No rush, I have til August, but I humbly await your truckdrivin' lady's word. She's probably the BEST source on this subject... Thanks!
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/27 06:17:06 (permalink)
    UH OH! I did it again... replied to a thread while logged in under CheeseWit's ID. (Sorry, honey.) The above post was actually JaneDough talking. Maybe I shouldn't go online until I've had my morning coffee anymore...
    hongry dawg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/27 17:36:08 (permalink)
    If you're able to catch a ride, there are a couple of places near Sacramento. If you can get up to Roseville ( a Sac suburb north of downtown), there's a place called Fat's owned by the Frank Fat family. It's an upscale bistro that's got so-so food, but stop at the bar for a slice of the famous house made banana cream pie.
    A more Roadfood worthy stop would be Ikeda's fruit stand. There is a location in Dixon, a shack right by the highway with great locallly made tamales and homemade pies. If you stop here, get the fresh tamales as those are made locally. They've also got tamales in the freezer section, but those are made elsewhere and not as tasty. the fruit pies made from Ikeda's orchards are also pretty good.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 204
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/27 17:54:56 (permalink)
    I used to go to Sacramento a lot on business. Stayed at the Sheraton and ate often at places nearby. Just can't remember any of them. The food must not have made much of an impression, LOL.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/04/28 07:31:26 (permalink)
    Ok---just heard from my truck driving lady pal and heres her suggestions for walking distance and short bus rides to eat in downtown Sac---
    "bummer time to come here...it's hot as hell!!!
    so let's see...walkin distance to the conv.
    center...well, if she's stayin at the downtown
    hyatt..they have a great place to eat and drink right
    in the center of the main floor....also good people
    watchin...then she should try jack's...at 19th and k
    or l...it's actually jack's real eats...buffet
    style...and really excellent...and a bus runs right up
    j street..if she doesn't wanna hike the 6 blocks
    up...for chinese...frank fats...also on j street i
    think...the oldest and the best chinese in
    town...hmmm...and for breakfast..the lucky cafe on
    21st and i think it's between i and j....lots of food
    for the buck..and there's always the broiler...on k
    street at about 12th...straight up great carnivore
    stuff...and for lunch...there's an italian deli right
    across the street from the convention center...real
    old fahioned italian deli...complete with tables
    outside on the sidewalk...mmmmm...man...now i've made
    myself hungry!!!
    that oughta keep her in eatin style for awhile... :o)"---

if i know Michael Jane--and i do --this should fix you up just fine!
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/01 16:37:52 (permalink)
    Okay, this isn't food, but at the north end of "Old Sacramento" you will find the California State Railroad Museum. Among their many fabulous displays is a dining car filled with examples of many railroads' table service. Californians, if you're near the Amtrak lines that pass through Sacto, you should know the Amtrak station there is only 2 short blocks from the Museum. There's a large restaurant full of Victoriana that faces the "old railroad station" by the river that has food this SF resident enjoys. It's:

Fat City Bar and Cafe
    1001 Front Street
    (916) 446-6768

and when all the other restaurants close between lunch and dinner, this place is still open and cooking.
    SFS Fan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/01 19:08:17 (permalink)
    Hi! As a resident of Davis (about 15 miles west of Sac) and a student at Sac State, I can make some recommendations. First, for breakfast, catch the #62 bus and get off at 19th and Broadway and then walk a couple of blocks to Pancake Circus. The restaurant is an institution in the city and the food is fair to good, serving breakfast all day. Downtown Sacramento has a burger joint that has been declared a city landmark. It is called Jim-Denny's and is located on 12th near H Street. Order the Superburger. If you are looking for a good hot dog and you are willing to take a LONG bus ride, check out Wiener Works. They boast their "regular" hot dog (which is already a meal) and a 14" dog. They also serve fries, but unless you are REALLY hungry, make sure you order the "tiny" size. Ordering a small will get you about half a serving tray of fries and the large is an entire serving trayful. If you really want to go there, e-mail me and I'll give you the bus routes. Like I said, its a LONG ride there. If you're willing to walk, stroll down J Street heading east (or catch the #30 or #62), then turn right at 21st and on 21st near Capitol Ave, you'll come to Pieces, one of the few food places open past 10pm. They serve pizza by the slice there and is one of my favorite pizza places. If you have a hankering for Tommy's burgers, try Willie's Burgers at 16th Street between Broadway and X Street. Great chili cheeseburgers and paper towel dispensers in various places in the tiny dining area. A must-go-to restaurant. If you'd like to try what's here in my hometown, drop me a line and I'll you how to get here and we can have lunch and/or dinner in Davis. Hope the above is helpful! Enjoy
    SFS Fan
    Hamburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/01 19:33:58 (permalink)
    You know, I forgot a GREAT breakfast place. Cornerstone Restaurant at 23rd and J Street is simply one of the BEST places for breakfast in Sacramento. Others like Fox and Goose on 10th and R Street, but I'm REALLY partial to Cornerstone. If you go there for breakfast on a weekend, be prepared to wait up to 45 minutes to an hour or more to be seated. Same for Fox and Goose. You'll have better luck finding a seat if you go on a weekday.
    SFS Fan
    Hamburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/02 04:42:15 (permalink)
    and there's always the broiler...on k street at about 12th

The Broiler is an OK place to eat, but they're no longer on J Street. For whatever reason, they've moved into this office building at 12th and K Street dubbed "the
    Ban roll-on" building. Food was okay, but a bit overpriced the last time I was there. Haven't eaten there since they moved though.
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/02 12:06:27 (permalink)
    I can say the Fox and Goose is excellent. And worth the wait. I used to travel so much, I couldn't remember if that were in Sacramento or somewhere else. LOL.
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/03 23:53:27 (permalink)
    You guys are the greatest! Thanks for all your suggestions. It's not til August, but when I return from my conference, I'll be sure to provide feedback on any of the places I get to try. Thanks so much!!!!!
    angelfood
    Cheeseburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/04 09:04:29 (permalink)
    Here's a link for the Fox and Goose website. I've only been there for breakfast, but what breakfasts they were. I was never disappointed. Also, for breakfast you have a choice to order free-range eggs from a local farm. They also are very environmentally responsible with recycling and water testing, etc. They've won many, many awards for their food. They're hanging all over the walls, LOL. It's a very quaint English pub atmosphere. I can't go on long enough about how good it was the times I was there. Very reasonable prices as well.

http://www.foxandgoose.com/
    SFS Fan
    Hamburger
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/07 18:44:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JaneDough

You guys are the greatest! Thanks for all your suggestions. It's not til August, but when I return from my conference, I'll be sure to provide feedback on any of the places I get to try. Thanks so much!!!!!

Y'know. Since you're headin' here in the SUMMER, a must go to place to cool off is Merlino's. They have okay burger and hot dogs and such, but what made them famous (in the Sacramento area anyway) is their orange freeze. It's really great to be slurping (or spooning) down an orange (or lemon or strawberry) freeze when the thermometer is in the high 90's or low 100's. You can also get freezes doused with your favorite soda. The address is 3200 Folsom Blvd. and you can get there by catching the #36 bus which (at this writing) goes down Folsom Blvd to 65th Street.
    SusanMcKee
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/10 19:31:27 (permalink)
    Sacramento has some terrific new restaurants all around the convention center. Mikuni's sushi and P F Chang's are next to one another on J street (and 13th or 14th). Then Lucca's a little further on J, a lovely new Italian place. For viewing the politicos, Frank Fat's at 9th & L is still hot and delicious. Arnold likes Esquire Grill, right across K St from the Hyatt. For interesting breakfasts besides Fox & Goose, try Luna's on 16th, and across the street, Simon's (terrible Chinese, but infamous bar). All along 15th and 16th are some new pklaces, tooo, most recently Sammy Chu's at 16th & R ( a bit farther, but worth the walk).
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: SACRAMENTO, CA 2004/05/10 23:24:07 (permalink)
    Don't forget Mai Pham's Lemongrass. Her "Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table" is one of the best cookbooks i own. I've never been but I bet it kicks major butt.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5