abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 928
2018/02/06 17:04:49 (permalink)

SATURDAY, JUNE 2nd- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered trip

It's cold.  It's snowy.  It's gray.

It's time to dream about summer.

AHHHHHHHHHHH.

The only thing that could make that better is Honey Butter Fried Chicken.

Looks good, right? 

And their patio...

Don't you feel warmer just looking at that??

Let's plan a trip around it, shall we?

How does June or July sound to people?  I've created a Doodle poll...PM me for the link.

Where else should we go?  I've found some possibilities.  I've limited the geographical area to this; the blue pin is HBFC:
Lawrence Ave at the north, Armitage Ave to the south, Cicero to the west, and Western to the east.   It could get smaller than that, but here are the possibilities within that area, some of which I've been to, the rest I've compiled from LTH and Yelp:

Marie's Pizza & Liquor- This one I've been to.  Old school Italian thin-crust pizza place, with the red vinyl booths and "wood" paneling.  This picture is when they're in Christmas mode, but you get the idea:

Gene's Sausage Shop- I think this place was on a previous tour, but it's a good non-food stop.  They have a rooftop beer garden that does serve food that we've never been to.  Could be fun.  I'll research other non-food stops in the area, too.

Smoque- If you were at my wedding, you had Smoque.  One of the best BBQ places in Chicago.  Excellent mac & cheese.  Could be some logistical issues getting all of us seating, but if we hit it mid-afternoon between lunch & dinner, it probably won't be bad.

Red Hot Ranch- Another repeat from previous trips.  Great Depression dogs, and CSD's favorite fried shrimp.  What's new, though, is that this location now has burgers, which their second location has had since they opened.  They're damn good.

And if we can still fit ourselves through standard size doorways, no Roadfood trip to this area would be complete without stopping at Bang Bang Pie at some point in the day. 

Other places I haven't been to, but can research in the upcoming months:

Nhu Lan Banh Mi
- Well-regarded banh mi shop.  I know MFL will be excited about this one.

Great Sea Chinese Restaurant
- Known for their "lollipop" chicken wings.  They got new owners in the last year or so and it sounds like the quality has been maintained.

Fat Rice
- We might want to pass on this one just because it looks SO AMAZING, it would probably be worth its own trip, or at least a trip where it's the spotlight.  Just reading the menu is making me drool right now.  Apparently there's a region of China that was heavily influenced by Portuguese explorers 500 years ago and there's a really interesting fusion of cultures there.  Also, any place that has printed rules like Burt's or Kuma's probably isn't conducive to our usual style of casual dining.  But I definitely think we should go back here.

Monti's- This looks more our speed for food tours.  Philly cheesesteak bar!  People on LTH say it's comparable to the better cheesesteak places in Philly, not the touristy crap. 

So, let's make some decisions on dates- again, PM me for the Doodle link.  If anyone has strong opinions about any of the places I've suggested, I don't really care please let me know.  I'm going to plan some fact-finding missions for the coming months on my own to help decide what's worth our valuable time and calorie intake!
post edited by abe_froeman - 2018/03/18 16:20:35
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6235
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/06 18:53:08 (permalink)
A few random thoughts about this and that...

Honey Butter Fried Chicken is indeed delicious and worth a visit.  Fair warning though: It is a Hipster Doofus Mecca full of young mommies and daddies who think they are the first people on Earth to procreate.  As such, their precious little darlings are the most important beings ever to grace the planet.  That said, they are generally harmless and tend to keep to themselves, however, there's a definite vibe about the place that might require an extra cocktail or two to keep you from lashing out unnecessarily.

Maria's makes a dandy Thin Crust Pizza and is the very definition of "Old School".  Good place for a dozen or so Contingencies on a food quest to split a pie or two.

Never been to Gene's, but it looks like a good place to bring a cooler with a few freezer packs.

Smoque makes killer 'Que, but if we're trying not to go overboard, this would be the place to skip.  Almost everyone in The Contingent has had their food, either at abe_froeman & Mr. Maki's wedding, or on their own, so there's nothing new here.

Red Hot Ranch, OTOH, is definitely worthy of consideration.  While we've already checked out their CSDs ona past tour, the Cheese Burger recently added to the menu may be the single best Smashdown Burger in the entire Chicago metro area.  Also, their Fried Shrimp doesn't get enough love around here, mainly due to lack of exposure.  Time to change that.

Not much to add about Bang Bang Pie.  Which location are you considering?  Also, same consideration here as with Smoque: Great stuff, but should they be a priority when you've got so many other places on the list we haven't visited?

Nu Lhan Banh Mi makes a very good version of the Vietnamese/French fusion sandwich, but it's location on slow-as-a-snail Lawrence Avenue, especially on a weekend, makes it a nightmare to get to and park.  If they make the final list, it might make sense to send a small delegation to pick up a sackful, then all meet at a nearby park for consumption.

Been reading good things about Great Sea.  I've had the Lollipop Chicken Wings, although from a different Chinese restaurant on the northwest side.  If Great Sea's version is as good as the others, they're worth a stop.  I just worry about menu overload at a place like this.

Fat Rice has been on our short list for a while, but somehow we keep forgetting about it whenever we're trying to decide where to go.  Their hours will be a prime factor in determining whether they make the list.  They're not open for lunch on Saturday's (presumably when we'd go), but do serve brunch from 11am to 2pm.  Unfortunately, they don't show a brunch menu on their website.  Might be worth doing further research.  If it's just a modified version of the lunch menu, then fine.  If it's a pre fixe AYCE menu, it might not be worth making a short stop here with so many other places to hit.

I visited Monti's once, about a year ago.  It was fine, but didn't impress.  Meat in the Cheesesteak was stringy and chewy.  Might be worth a second try just to make sure, but given all the other choice, it would be at the bottom of my list.

Please send me the poll.

Thanks for putting this together!

Buddy/Dad

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8577
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/06 19:25:05 (permalink)
I might be interested in fried chicken.

abe_froeman
Lawrence Ave at the north, Armitage Ave to the south, Cicero to the west, and Western to the east.

Does this mean it's mostly a walking tour?
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/06 20:57:39 (permalink)
We also need to add El Potosi on Elston Ave. to the list of possibilities.  It is one of Jeff's favorite taco stands in Chicago and near Honey Butter.

Danny
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/07 00:37:28 (permalink)
Looks great; please send me the poll.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/07 01:34:41 (permalink)
ChiBears15
We also need to add El Potosi on Elston Ave. to the list of possibilities.  It is one of Jeff's favorite taco stands in Chicago and near Honey Butter.

Danny

It'll need to be a warm sunny day to include El Potosi.  It is beyond tiny with virtually no indoor seating.  Its entire dining area is on an outdoor deck overlooking picturesque Elston Avenue.  That said, if the weather allows, its a pretty cool place.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5426
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/07 05:18:43 (permalink)
I don't eat poultry. How about steak and lobster.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/07 14:20:15 (permalink)
They've got a nice selection of sides you can chow down on while the rest of us eat bird.  Also Caesar Salad with Tofu Strips.  Yum.

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3570
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/16 11:35:44 (permalink)
Back from vacation and I think I'm not returning to Facebook so send me the poll using regular email please. I'm lobstered out and I found my dream Prime Rib locally so I'd opt for things porky. (Pardon my French)

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8577
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/16 20:00:05 (permalink)
Is the second pork chart from 1955?
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3624
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/17 01:32:25 (permalink)
The Red Hot Ranch on Ashland Avenue is a sit down restaurant with my favorite double cheeseburgers and my favorite fried shrimp. Recently, they've added a wonderful fried cod sandwich. I'm there for lunch almost every Monday as part of a Hot Dog University lesson on how to make that great double cheeseburger. My recommendation is for the RHR on Ashland,  not the one on Western.

CSD
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/18 12:56:08 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers
Back from vacation and I think I'm not returning to Facebook so send me the poll using regular email please. I'm lobstered out and I found my dream Prime Rib locally so I'd opt for things porky. (Pardon my French)

You buried the lead there, MFL!!  Please share!
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 244
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/23 11:03:13 (permalink)
Sounds good to me. I should be available every weekend in June & July except one.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/02/23 11:54:11 (permalink)
YUM YUM sounds good to me 
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/03/14 10:20:35 (permalink)
The votes are in, and Saturday, June 2nd is the only day where all 9 people who answered the Doodle are available.  Saturday June 9th and Saturday, July 14th were the runners up with 8 votes.

I eliminated any dates that had less than 7 people with "yeses", so last call for changes to the existing Doodle participants and if anyone else wants to put in their two cents in, PM me for the link to the Doodle.

The remaining dates are 6/2, 6/3, 6/9, 7/14, 7/21, and 7/28.

I want to make the final decision for the date by this Friday the 16th!
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/03/18 16:23:37 (permalink)
A date has been chosen! Saturday, June 2nd. Hope to see you there! I’ll be doing some research in coming weeks...anyone is welcome to join me and Mr. Maki!
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/03/22 17:21:25 (permalink)
My day off request for June 2nd was approved!

Looking forward to seeing the itinerary.

Danny
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/03/23 00:12:38 (permalink)
I'm not sure I can make it, but I'd also like to see the itinerary.

David

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/03/31 23:52:54 (permalink)

We'll be there, looking forward to it.

Q
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/04/12 18:26:56 (permalink)
I saw something about Crisp www.crisponline.com that made me think it could be a good addition to this outing
Also for some reason when I try to access this thread on my work computer it gets flagged as unsafe due to a logansquare link?
?? IDK
post edited by irisarbor - 2018/04/12 18:28:27
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/04/12 18:51:29 (permalink)
Only issues are that it's way east out of the area I was thinking of and it would be nearly impossible to park in that area and figure out how to get a big group in there.  It's a small place with chaotic, communal seating....maybe we could send a scout to go get some wings during our trip and bring them back to the group.

Mmm, now I'm thinking about their wings.  They are so good.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/04/30 22:00:57 (permalink)
Good news!  It hit 80°F today.  Ahhhhhhhh....

I'm going to be paring down the possibilities in the next few weeks.

CSD, besides indoor seating, is there anything the Ashland location of RHR has to offer over the Western location?  Anything that would make it worth extending my eastern boundary?

Crisp is only on the list if someone wants to split off from the group to go get it and bring it back, or pick it k it up on the way to join the group.

I'm striking Smoque and Fat Rice from the list of possibilities.  I've added El Potosi to the potential itinerary.  Let's just pray for a clear, not-too-hot day.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/01 00:25:11 (permalink)
Red Hot Ranch's Ashland Avenue location started offering a pretty good fried fish sandwich last fall.  I believe it's still on the menu, but not sure.  Also not sure if it's available at the Western Avenue location.  It really shouldn't affect your decision, because as good as it is, the cheeseburgers, fried shrimp, and CSDs are still the main attraction at both stores.

Buddy
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 07:29:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2018/05/03 09:18:55
Lucy,

If you get a chance, check out Pizza y Pan Pa Ya @ 3125 W. Montrose.  Its a Colombian pizza and pastry joint.  Might be worth a visit.

Thank you,
Dan
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 13:38:21 (permalink)
Just looked at the Yelp reviews, a bunch of online photos of the food, and the Google Street View of the Pizza y Pan Pa' Ya neighborhood.  Reviews are great, food looks amazing, and the whole neighborhood looks REALLY interesting.  If we can't squeeze it into this trip, it might be worthy of a focused exploration of the area.

Nice find CB15!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/05/02 13:44:49
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 14:58:11 (permalink)
Jeff,

It wasn't my find " />

KingT aka ChiBBQKing did a write up on the place for his blog.  I saw it there

Danny
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5426
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 15:07:17 (permalink)
Danny,

Can you get off that day? Want me to cover for you?

Jim
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 15:13:55 (permalink)
I am off that day and the rest of the week actually.  Flying to Florida for a week on the Sunday after.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 17:18:21 (permalink)
ChiBears15
Jeff,

It wasn't my find " />" />

Danny

You still had to find the write up; nobody else was looking for it.  Take the credit.

Buddy
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Thinking of Warmer Days Ahead for The Contingent- Honey Butter Fried Chicken-centered 2018/05/02 20:41:48 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
ChiBears15
Jeff,

It wasn't my find " />" />" />

Danny

You still had to find the write up; nobody else was looking for it.  Take the credit.

Buddy

Done. You are all welcome.
Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5