Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California

Author
dbor77
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/08/12 12:45:51 (permalink)

Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California

I'm new to this forum. I'm planning a road trip from Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California. Can anyone recommend some places to eat along the way that are fairly inexpensive or with a budget in mind??

Thanks,

Daisy

4 Replies Related Threads

Patti Ann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California 2004/08/12 14:02:06 (permalink)
    If you are driving down Interstate 5 stop in Coalinga, California for fantastic food at Harris Ranch. They have a coffee shop, bar and dining room so any time of day dressed up or dressed down you can really eat well. We always stop. There are two Coalinga exits and Harris Ranch is off the north exit on the east side of the road. They have gas and a lovely hotel with pool if you need to rest. Have a safe trip.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California 2004/08/12 14:06:32 (permalink)
    Hi Daisy, Welcome to the Roadfood Forums. We have had several 'threads' that recommended places along both the I-5 and the Coastal Routes between Salem, Oregon and Orange County. Look at the topics under the 'Where should I eat' Heading on the Message Boads Listing. I am sure you will find a number of threads that will help you.
    I will add one that may or may not be on the listings--
    HODEL'S on Rt 99 on the North Side of Bakersfield. A buffet, in the older countrystyle sense of the word. Inexpensive, solid and good food. Located just off the 99 at the Olive Ave. Exit (near the airport).
    Have a good trip. We have done that very ride many times, having moved my Mom from Leisure World in Laguna Hills to a Senior Living Center in Mt Olive, OR.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California 2004/08/12 23:16:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Hi Daisy, Welcome to the Roadfood Forums. We have had several 'threads' that recommended places along both the I-5 and the Coastal Routes between Salem, Oregon and Orange County. Look at the topics under the 'Where should I eat' Heading on the Message Boads Listing. I am sure you will find a number of threads that will help you.
    I will add one that may or may not be on the listings--
    HODEL'S on Rt 99 on the North Side of Bakersfield. A buffet, in the older countrystyle sense of the word. Inexpensive, solid and good food. Located just off the 99 at the Olive Ave. Exit (near the airport).
    Have a good trip. We have done that very ride many times, having moved my Mom from Leisure World in Laguna Hills to a Senior Living Center in Mt Olive, OR.

I would note that, driving from Oregon to SoCal, Rt. 99 is a slightly busier and less well-maintained road than I-5, and short stretches are not even limited access, but it's quite a bit more interesting--more development, more towns, more PLACES TO EAT along the way. Most Californians would nominate I-5 between Stockton and Bakersfield for the most boring drive on earth (with stockyard scent thrown in). So you might consider using 99 rather than I-5. They both connect Sacramento and Bakersfield.
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Salem, Oregon to Lake Forest, California 2004/08/16 10:20:57 (permalink)
    And would a princely share of that "stockyard scent" be eminating from that huge Harris yard, so proudly placed right smack next to I-5, for all the world to enjoy? Forgive me, Patti Ann, but if that gem truly belongs to Harris, it may just be the world's pre-emminent negative advertisement for beef! They may have good beef, at least they price it like it was, but each time I see it in the store, I can't help but think of that god-awful place. What were they thinking?

Our favorite CA stop on I-5 is Granzella's in Williams - there's a ton of mediochure stuff in there, but it's a great place to sample olives and to get a good sandwich. Try an Italian on a sourdough roll - good stuff! jm
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5