Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza

Author
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 429
2015/09/02 23:05:07 (permalink)

Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza

Some people here have seen me talk about a trip in October of the Northeast.. among other things it's mostly hot dog places. I'll be leaving New Jersey through a big loop.

Anyway, my question is this.. I am mapping out my trip and I'm writing approximate times I will leave here, get there, etc. Day One I am set to visit 7 hot dog places and one place for Chili (mind you I'm only eating one dog at each place, maybe 2, maybe some fries, and possibly a drink).. I wouldn't arrive to until about 5:30pm.

I hear the lines are usually long at Sallys.. do I skip it? Or do you think it's really worth visiting one of these three pizza places? Would I be better off at one of the other two for a shorter line?

After pizza, I still have 4 hot dogs left on my trip for that day, so I need to keep that in mind.

6 Replies Related Threads

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 843
    Re: Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza 2015/09/03 00:19:33 (permalink)

We have not had a line problem at Sally's Apizza, but we tend to eat at "non-peak" times.  Sally's is wonderful, as well as Pepe's and Zuppardi's Apizza.  Pepe's can get some very long lines.  Zuppardi's is almost never a problem.   While still very good, we rate Modern Apizza down one notch from the others, in our opinion. 

Glenn & Janet
    Ketteract
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1078
    Re: Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza 2015/09/03 07:54:33 (permalink)
    Glenn1234
    we tend to eat at "non-peak" times. 

I can't emphasize this enough.  Don't go when everyone else is going.  This has served me well, not just for eating at popular restaurants, but for living in Connecticut in general.  Going to the post office, doing grocery shopping, whatever - I try to do as much as possible at off-peak times.  With as many people that are crammed into this tiny little state, it's sometimes the only way I keep myself sane.

I once went to the New Haven Pepe's for lunch - around 11:45 on a Saturday - and I immediately got a seat.  

Not saying you have to do your pizza at lunch... but if you want to take lines out of the equation as much as possible then I'd reeeeeeally recommend adjusting your schedule so that you're not eating pizza at the same time as every other person that wants to eat pizza.
    phlmaestro
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1115
    Re: Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza 2015/09/03 07:59:31 (permalink)
    Zuppardi's was practically empty when we went there; can't remember the time, although it was definitely on a weekend.
    And as much as I love Pepe's and probably prefer their regular pie, for a white clam pie, I think I'd give a slight edge to Zuppardi's, with the freshly shucked clams.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 954
    Re: Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza 2015/09/03 09:08:14 (permalink)
    The line is generally less problematic at Sally's, although I've seen it be deceiving as well, since Sally's is pretty open about the fact that they play favorites.  (Pepe's does, too, when my grandfather was alive, he never had to wait in line, although they were more subtle about it... "come around to the side door....")

Honestly, I usually do the Modern since it's convenient for me (I'm usually driving up I-91) and there's almost never a line.  I get a pie that's 90% as good with 25% of the drama.
    yuppicide
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 429
    Re: Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza 2015/09/03 22:06:42 (permalink)
    Well, I don't like seafood.. I'm just going for a regular pie. I was really after trying a Sallys potato pizza as well, but I'm not all about the "favorites" thing. I don't want to actually be in a real life episode of Seinfeld where the whole episode takes place waiting for a table in a Chinese restaurant.

So if I stop it's probably Modern Apizza. I mean they've been around a long time also.

I'll admit looking at pics on the web Sallys looks most sexy to me. But all of them look like a nice thin crust well done.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    Re: Sallys Apizza / Pepe / Modern Apizza 2015/09/20 22:22:38 (permalink)
    If you really want to try the potato pie at Sally's, let me offer you an alternative. 

Go to BAR, which is right across the street from Louis Lunch. They have a mashed potato and bacon pie that has become my single favorite pie in all of New Haven - and I have been to Sally's, Pepe's, and Modern

Zuppardi's in West Haven is also very good, and you're less likely to have to wait. The atmosphere isn't quite the same as the New Haven places, but it is excellent.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5