Helpful ReplySchaumburg, IL area

Author
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2018/05/03 21:17:06 (permalink)

Schaumburg, IL area

Hi Chicago folks!  I will be in Schaumburg the last weekend in June for my family reunion and was wondering if you have any good road food recommendations in the area.  TIA!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6310
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/04 02:19:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Michael Hoffman 2018/05/04 10:19:06
Señora Bonk,

You're visiting Schaumburg at a high point in its culinary history.  Up till recently it was nothing but chains and fast food.  But as ambitious restaurant owners from the big city to the south and east look to expand, they're opting more and more for Schaumburg.

One notable addition is the latest outpost of Kuma's Corner, Chicago's premier Heavy Metal/Tattoo Burger Bar.  The volume on the music is modulated to accommodate the suburban clientele, and the tattoos tend to be more of the tiny-rose-on-the-upper-shoulder variety.  But the Burgers are still named after Metal Bands or their song titles, and they're just as good as the ones served in the original space on the northwest side.

Mrs. Roadhouse and I have a favorite Middle Eastern joint in Schaumburg called Pita House.  Very good food served in large quantities for very reasonable prices.  In addition to the usual Hummus and Baba Ghannouj appetizers, they also serve Mama Ghannouj, made with grilled zucchini instead of eggplant.  One thing to avoid is the Turkey Shawarma.  I understand the effort to offer a lower fat/sodium version of Shawarma, but the turkey is just too dry for the dish.  Stick with the beef or chicken versions instead.

Daughter abe_froeman and I had a wonderful Polish meal at a newish place called Bacowka Restaurant.  The decor is similar to a lot of the Polish places in town; lots of bare wood, recalling an Alpine setting.  They offer all the Polish classics including Cabbage Rolls, Pierogis, and Potato Pancakes.

If you're able to get out of Schaumburg, but want to stay in the northwest suburbs, there's Johnnie's Italian Beef and Mitsuwa Japanese Market in Arlington Heights.  Johnnie's should be fairly self explanatory.  Mitsuwa is a Japanese supermarket with an extensive food court inside.  Generally very good food, and lots of fun.

There's plenty more.  It's just a matter of what your family wants to eat, and how far away from Schaumburg you're able to drive.

More as it occurs to me,
Buddy

Kuma's Corner
1570 E Golf Rd.
Woodfield Village Green Shopping Center, Schaumburg
(847) 240-1200

Bacowka
1120 S Roselle Rd., Schaumburg
(630) 283-0023

Pita House Restaurant
365 S Roselle Rd, Schaumburg
(84)352-4750

Johnnie's Italian Beef
1935 S Arlington Heights Rd, Arlington Heights

(84) 357-8100

Mitsuwa Marketplace
100 E Algonquin Rd, Arlington Heights
(847) 956-669
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/05/04 02:20:26
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3636
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/04 11:48:56 (permalink)
Lou Malnati's offers a traditional Chicago deep dish pizza(get it with the butter crust) and Wildfire for steaks, ribs, fish, and a great chopped salad. Both well known Chicago institutions with various locations and you are smack in the middle of restaurant heaven.

CSD
Mrs. Bonk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/04 20:15:24 (permalink)
Portillo's is one of my must hit places.  Lou's is good pizza (deep dish or not) too.  Even though it's not my mom's Polish side of the family that is gathering (it's my dad's Irish side) maybe I can talk them into Bacowka, sounds interesting.  Hoping I can squeeze in a side trip to Ki's on North Ave in Glen Ellyn for some saganaki too.

Thanks all!
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6310
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/04 22:23:45 (permalink)
How many days are you in town, and how many meals are you hoping to squeeze in?

If you're craving Portillo's Chicago Style Hot Dogs or Burgers, consider Big Ange's Eatery instead.  They're a newish place in nearby Arlington Heights.  Ange's is getting a lot of love from LTHForum.com.  We've been there and would choose them in a heartbeat over Portillo's.  Outstanding Burgers!

Buddy

Big Ange's Eatery
640 W.Northwest Highway
Arlington Heights, Il. 60004
(224) 248-8644
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3636
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/04 23:47:49 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

If you're craving Portillo's Chicago Style Hot Dogs or Burgers, consider Big Ange's Eatery instead.  They're a newish place in nearby Arlington Heights.  Ange's is getting a lot of love from LTHForum.com.  We've been there and would choose them in a heartbeat over Portillo's.  Outstanding Burgers!

Buddy

Big Ange's Eatery
640 W.Northwest Highway
(224) 248-8644

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Big Ange's Eatery
640 W.Northwest Highway
(224) 248-8644

I agree. John, Rocco, and Ange are proud graduates of Vienna Beef's Hot Dog University. Cheeseburgers, dogs, Polish, fresh cut fries, and home made BBQ are all top notch.

CSD
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8679
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/05 17:23:40 (permalink)
Mrs. Bonk
Even though it's not my mom's Polish side of the family that is gathering (it's my dad's Irish side)

An Irish family reunion?  I hope somebody told Binny's to stock up!
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re: Schaumburg, IL area 2018/05/11 17:59:47 (permalink)
We live at the south end of Arlington Heights, near where Arlington Heights, Rolling Meadows and Schaumburg all come together. 

All of the above suggestions are good, though I think Buddy needs his eyes checked if all he sees are minor tattoos at the Schaumburg Kuma's Corner.  It's overall toned-down from the city locations, but if tattoos, heavy metal, and maybe an R-rated horror movie on the TVs are too much for you or your dining companions, you've been warned.  If you or a family member is into beer, pay attention to their Facebook page because they frequently have beers you won't find many other places, often they make an event of the untapping.  We went there a few months after they opened and Mr. Maki asked the server how business was doing because the suburban population (especially Schaumburg, which I once saw fairly accurately described as "it's like a hotel lobby during an insurance convention manifested itself as an entire town")...they said business was great, and their location makes more money *just in beer* than all the other locations (this was when there were only two others) make in everything combined.

Schaumburg and Arlington Heights, especially, have a big Asian (specifically Japanese) population, so there's lots of options.

Gabutto Burger in Rolling Meadows used to be located inside the food court in Mitsuwa Marketplace that Buddy mentioned, but then they struck out on their own.  They have Japanese-style burgers, burgers made with shrimp, with crab, with tofu, you can get rice patty buns- lots of customization. 

Mitsuwa's food court is great, and it's a big store.  Their bakery, Pastry House Hippo, has lots of great stuff, but get there by early afternoon, or it starts selling out.  I would recommend against the sushi Mitsuwa sells there.  I think it's made by the general kitchen of the store, not one of the independent places in the food court.  They make it with way too much rice.  I don't know why, because they're pretty generous with the amount of fish inside.  The ramen place in Mitsuwa is very well-regarded.  The other ramen place we like is called Misoya, and it's actually in Mt. Prospect, but it's a straight shot east on Algonquin Rd to Busse Rd.  They only have a few U.S. locations and they chose Mt. Prospect for some reason.  Weird, but lucky us!

There's a Japanese market down the street that has better sushi- Tensuke Market.  Not as huge as Mitsuwa, but better sushi, and they have other quick Japanese foods, too.  If you're looking for a more traditional, sit-down Japanese restaurant, we like Nikko in Arlington Heights.  If you're ok with good-but-not-great/innovative sushi and just want a fun place to get it, we just started going to Sushi Station in Rolling Meadows.  It's one of the few "conveyor belt" sushi places left around here. 

We haven't found any really outstanding Thai places near us.  Bangkok Belly in Des Plaines is about as good as it gets close-by, but our favorite places are Pride on the northwest side of Chicago or Ruby of Siam in Skokie, neither of which are very close to Schaumburg.

For Chinese, we just tried Chef Ping in Rolling Meadows a few months ago and were really impressed.  They have some regional items I've never seen anywhere else.  We got a mango chicken; not only was the chicken good, but the mangoes were probably some of the best we've ever had, and it was the middle of February.  I am 99% sure they weren't out of a can or frozen.

Other than Asian, there's a Mexican place in the outlot of Woodfield Mall called Chuy's- we've been there once and it was surprisingly good for chain Mexican. 

Everything else is pretty run-of-the-mill.  The one place I wouldn't go back to is Bulldog's.  Mr. Maki has been there twice, once with me, once with his parents and the service sucked both times.
post edited by abe_froeman - 2018/05/11 18:04:53
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5