Seattle: Long Walking tour?

Author
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 954
2015/11/06 11:41:36 (permalink)

Seattle: Long Walking tour?

Those that have seen some of my trip reports know that every year I do a Death March across a different city: ~20 miles of hiking and seeing the sites, trying to work in a lot of local, interesting food.  (This year was Montreal).

I'm considering Seattle this year, but my Seattle food knowledge is about 15 years old. 

Anyone have ideas for a ~20 mile walking route that includes downtown and has some interesting sites and food destinations (preferably takeout)?

17 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4778
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2015/11/06 14:45:53 (permalink)
    Seattle, despite all its gorgeous vistas ... is big ... and has a lot of industrial-ness at street level.  I lived there for 20 long years and you'd have to be quite the planner.  It would be an unpleasant walk to go from Red Mill Burgers to, say, Mike's Chili.  or Pho' Bac to Peco's Pit.

kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2015/11/09 15:42:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's challenging, but I like a good challenge this way.

(We've had to deal with this before: the San Francisco walk involved finding pretty much the one non-skeevy walking route through the Tenderloin, and the Chicago one glanced a couple of skeevy neighborhoods)

Fish_Sandwich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2015/11/11 21:35:41 (permalink)
    I'm not going to be a big help on specific restaurant recommendations, I'll let you do the research for that but I can recommend a route and some possibilities along the way.  There are great restaurants just about everywhere along the route.  Caveat - I don't know if this route will meet your mileage requirements but I'm sure you can add/modify it as necessary.

Start out at the Washington Park Arboretum and head North through Montlake to the University of Washington. Walk through the campus (be sure to visit the fountain and "Red Square" in front of Suzzalo library) to 45th Avenue and head West.  Once on the West side of I-5 there are numerous small, interesting restaurants to try and of course the iconic Dick's burgers.  Best greasy fries around.  From there head North to Greenlake and walk the trail around the lake and stop in at Spud Fish & Chips.  Continue West up to Phinney Ridge where you can try Ridge Pizza, Red Mill Burgers, Wingdome, or numerous other good cafes and eateries.  Then head South into Fremont and from there West to Ballard.  From Ballard, walk South across the 15th Avenue bridge and up and over Queen Anne Hill, along the South Queen Anne Greenbelt to Kerry Park (iconic Seattle views, there is always a slew of photographers lurking around here).  Down through Lower Queen Anne into downtown where your restaurant choices are mind boggling.  If you like Japanese I wholeheartedly recommend Umi Sake House on 1st Avenue near Battery St.  I have found some Japanese places as good but none better.  The happy hour runs from 4-8 PM at the bar and the bar menu represents the best sushi bargains in town.  From Downtown bear East and South into Rainier Valley.  This is where things might get a bit sketchy but Seattle is really a pretty tame town and if you survived Chicago you'll have no problems here.  Lots of great BBQ and ethnic joints down there.

This is where the route becomes problematic for a pedestrian - I'd suggest heading West into West Seattle via Georgetown.  Cross over Beacon Hill from Rainier Valley to S. Albro Place where you can cross the freeway and train tracks and turn North onto Airport Way.  There are a bunch of great little restaurants and a couple breweries right in the heart of Georgetown.  I'd highly recommend Jules Mae's Saloon - really good food that's not your typical pub-grub (the Noodles Gigi is fantastic).

The walking part of the route becomes a real challenge from this point.  If cheating isn't out of the question I'd hire an Uber to take me across to the intersection of California Ave SW and Fauntleroy Way SW but if you insist on walking all that way it can be done, it's just not the best walk, it's kind of a long route through a grubby industrial area and not really any restaurants along the way except the Marco Polo Bar & Grill a couple blocks North of Michigan Sreet on 4th Ave S.  Really excellent fried chicken there and a good place to watch a football game or play some pool on lumpy tables with bent cues. 

Once into West Seattle there is a really good Greek restaurant on California Ave just N. of the intersection with Fauntleroy.  Continue North along California Ave and there are numerous good restaurants including Jak's steakhouse and the most excellent Husky Deli in the "Alaska Junction" area.  Continue North from there all the way to Alki and walk along Alki Beach with excellent views across Puget Sound to downtown and the Olympic Mts.  On Alki you'll find El Chupacabra which is one of my favorite Mexican joints (Cactus, just down the street, is good too but more expensive and upscale) and Sunfish Fish & Chips which is better than Spud (the Alki Location is the original).  Spud is worth stopping into just for the historical photos on the walls and they have good milkshakes.

If you haven't racked up 20+ miles by now I'm not sure what to suggest other than maybe doubling back along Beach Drive all the way down to Lincoln Park then up the hill to Roxbury Street and East into White Center where you'll find a bunch of truly authentic Asian and Mexican joints and the most excellent Zippy's Burgers.

Well, hope this gives you some ideas.  Have fun on your trip and good luck!
    post edited by Fish_Sandwich - 2015/11/11 21:40:04
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2015/11/17 09:19:45 (permalink)
    Hey, that helped a lot.  Let me see what I can do with that route.  :)

Thanks!
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2015/11/17 09:43:26 (permalink)
    You know, looking at that route, two of our walkers are train people, so there's worse things than going by a large train yard. 

Getting from Georgetown up Marginal to Spokane doesn't look that bad. 

I'll sketch up a route and some of the Seattle People can tell me if it looks too skeevy.   Definitely reminded me of a few good places I've been up that way (hmmm, can I get El Quetzal to do takeout on a non-geologic time scale if I call ahead?)

kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/14 23:30:08 (permalink)
    Sorry, I should have kept this thread updated... but it's been a crazy busy life for me recently.

We're doing this walk next weekend on Saturday (breakfast at 8am, leaving Arboretum at 9am), if any of the locals are interested in either attending, or giving last minute advice on the route.
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/15 08:49:22 (permalink)
    I have plans to be in Seattle later this year.  Hoping you'll recap or even a Trip Report.  Enjoy! 
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/15 10:24:55 (permalink)
    I'll do a mini trip report.

Nominally, we're doing Fish_Sandwich's itinerary almost exactly.
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/15 10:27:52 (permalink)
    Enjoy!  Looks daunting yet incredible! 
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/16 08:40:43 (permalink)
    One of my big questions is, how do you navigate Pike's Market in a short amount of time?  Are there must-see, must-eat at, must-experience places both in and around the market?
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/16 09:00:06 (permalink)
    Yes

Salmon Chowder
    Pike Place Chowder

yes...

Halibut Sandwich

Market Grill
    and YES!!!

Blackberry Scone (the best of the trip)
    Three Girls Bakery
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2016/08/16 11:02:30
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/16 10:28:13 (permalink)
    While I'm happy to create a sandwich board with your pictures and walk around until some one id's me, it would be helpful to have names!  Or perhaps a copy of your spreadsheet! 
    Lurker
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/16 11:03:43 (permalink)
    See Above.

The Crumpet Shop is also in the same vicinity. We shared a solid scone but found the crumpets so-so.
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/16 12:41:45 (permalink)
    Thanks Dale...hopefully in time to assist kaszeta!
    Lurker
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/16 13:24:02 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner
    Thanks Dale...hopefully in time to assist kaszeta!

Check out my two trip reports from 2013 and 2014

http://forums.roadfood.com/Stolid-Stoic-Standoffish-Scandinavian-Seattle-m737919.aspx

http://forums.roadfood.com/The-Wonders-of-Western-Washington-m790837.aspx

Especially the second one so you can re-visit the time I almost got arrested.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/23 08:31:52 (permalink)
    I'll give a full writeup once I've uploaded my photos (may be a bit, still sorting through Scotland photos), but we ended up having a rather good  time, despite the fact we had much warmer than expected weather (94 degrees)

Here's a quick rundown of our ~23 mile walk:

1. Started at Volunteer Park Cafe near Volunteer Park.
    2. Walked through Interlaken park down to the Arboretum.
    3. Took a loop through the Arboretum up across the Montlake Bridge
    4. Cut diagonally across the University, ending up at the weekend University Farmers Market.  Discovered that most of my colleagues had never had kombucha.  Also scored some good ginger beer (from local Rachel's Ginger Beer) and some artisan root beer.
    5. Cut back down to 45th.  Dropped off farmers market score at the house I was staying, and then ducked over to 45th Street Poke Stop for some awesome Poke.
    6. Walked up Meridian to Mighty-O Donuts (and amazed that those donuts are vegan)
    7. Walked around Green Lake.  Short stop at Spud's for fish and chips
    8. Diagonally cut through the residential area to get up to Phinney Ridge.  Had a hard time ignoring roasted peppers out front of Ken's Grocery.  Ended up with a short break for some awesome ice cream at A la Mode Pies while looking at the Woodland Park Zoo
    9. Cut over on Market Street to cross the Ballard Bridge
    10.  Took a meandering route through Queen Anne to see Marshall Park and Kerry Park for iconic views.
    11.  Walked down Queen Anne to Western Ave.   Diverted through Olympic Sculpture Park. 
    12.  Briefly explored Pike Place (most of us had been there the day before as well) for Market Grill.
    13.  Walked down to Pioneer Square
    14.  Cut over to 2nd Ave to Airport Way.  This is where insurrection started to mount, since there's really no good way to North Beacon on foot, you've either got to go via a big hill from Golf/15th, or Holgate.  We did the latter, which was steep (and in retrospect, took us right through the middle of one of the homeless encampments).
    15.  Decided that due to the weather, we were behind schedule.  Cut out Georgetown proper, since we'd get there right after a few of the stops down there closed.  Directed ourselves over to Spokane St through a rather industrial area (that has a shockingly large number of indoor marijuana growing operations).  Had to stop at Burger King for a relief break, where the wheels really started to fall off (everyone was getting rather tired, and we had lost 5 people from our original 12).
    16. Discovered that two sidewalks needed to get to the West Seattle Bridge walking path were closed and we had to divert south to take Klickitat over to West Seattle.  Reviewing the schedule, decided that we'd likely get to Alki right as things were closing up. 
    17. My list of alternative destinations included Schooner Exact Brewing Company only half a mile away.  An insurrection was called, and that changed to our final destination, where we had some most excellent beers and dinner.

A few other highlights of the trip before and after the Death March:

1. Finally did the Columbia Center Skyview Observatory, which is a much, much better view than the Space Needle
    2. Most of us also did an hour-long hike over on Bainbridge, since we took the ferry round-trip to get some views.
    3. Pre-March Dinner at Orfeo in Belltown, which was awesome and handled a large group with complicated ordering and checks with ease.
    4. After-March Brunch at Icon Grill downtown, which was a mixed bag.  About half of us had really great food (my chicken and biscuit, for example)  The rest of us had so-so food (my colleague had a massively overdone crab benedict, for example).
    5. Our traditional "Wait, we're still walking more?" walk was a 5.7 mile loop through Wallingford and Fremont including Gasworks Park and the Fremont Troll.

Will fill in some more details once I have pictures
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Seattle: Long Walking tour? 2016/08/23 09:21:03 (permalink)
    I should also mention the plans for next year.

In order of preference:

1. London.  I have the walk 100% scoped out.  Almost certain to be next year's walk unless people balk at the price (which courtesy of the Brexit has dropped...)
    2. Minneapolis/St Paul.  Also terra cognita.  Basically, follow the route of any recent Twin Cities Marathon, adjusted for food purposes.
    3. Philly.  A perennial that  we've never done yet since dealing with the transit issues to get people to/from the walk was hard before, Uber works really well in Philly.

Two more destinations that are on my chronic list, if I can bring people to my side.  I'm 100% serious about these:

4. New Orleans. Seriously, Carollton to French Quarter via Lower Garden District, then up to Willie Mae's and Dooky Chase's, and over through Marigny to Bywater.  Around 16 miles.  While the first part of the walk is a bit short on great food options, the rest of the walk is choc-a-bloc with awesomeness.  And actually, there are only two parts of the walk that aren't in good neighborhoods, and nothing that a group of people would have trouble with.
    5. Detroit.  Again, not actually kidding.  Dearborn to Corktown to Downtown to Wayne State to Hamtramck to Royal Oak.  2-3 segments of this that I need to actually scope out beforehand and maybe pre-march, but doable, and awesome.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5