"Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously????

Author
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10172
2014/09/12 07:48:21 (permalink)

"Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously????

While investigating some Asian Restaurants for our upcoming trip to Seattle, I came across the interesting article about "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls ..It seems that somehow the folks of Seattle are now "claiming" it as "their own"... I'm actually reading the article in utter amazement... I lived in Seattle... I have gone back to Seattle several times since I left.  If anything jumped out at me from regional perspective it was the coffee houses, espresso carts and drive through espresso shacks and of course scones as the "breakfast bread of choice" in addition to fish and chips joints (which is probably a more realistic example of the "food of the people" with Ivar's being everywhere)  salmon houses and brew pubs. I even recall a  higher concentration of Mexican Restaurants and Taco Stands.  Sure there are more Teriyaki joints than say Pittsburgh or Rhode Island...however Seattle has nothing on Los Angeles when it comes to Teriyaki joints... To claim something that Los Angeles clearly deserves the credit for as "their own" is just plain silly... I guess I'll be hearing about those Philadelphia Chowderhouses  and Baltimore Bagels pretty soon too.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/09/12 12:35:49

8 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5392
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 09:36:29 (permalink)
    I wonder what Bruce Blimes thinks?
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 09:41:16 (permalink)

Bruce Bilmes doesn't live in Seattle, I think his opinion would be moot

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/09/12 09:43:37
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2159
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 10:12:06 (permalink)
    While I love Seattle, I hate American teriyaki bowls.  Seattle, San Fran, LA, New York, all crap.  Cloyingly sweet.  I lived in Japan for 3 years, the teriyaki there is nothing like in the US. Much less sweet, much more subtle and complex.  I have no idea how this sickly sweet abomination of teriyaki came to be.
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1395
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 11:24:03 (permalink)
    I'm with you on that, War Toad. Eating Japanese food in Japan spoiled American "teriyaki" for me.

I'd rather eat Japanese meals on an airplane (Delta, United) than American "teriyaki."

Kevin CT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 12:19:24 (permalink)
    I love the sweet, sticky, goopy stuff. Not authentic, but tasty regardless.
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 12:30:29 (permalink)
    I accept that Authentic Chinese is different from  Chinese American   (which I'll accept if San Francisco takes credit for) the same being that Authentic Japanese is different from Japanese American (Sorry, got to give this to LA over Seattle)  

Actually I wonder how Ed Sails feels about all this
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4563
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/12 12:52:08 (permalink)
    It's hard for me to say much about teriyaki places. I've only eaten at Yoshinoya once, the big teri bowl chain and that was because someone brought it for us at work. They are headquartered in Torrance which has a major Japanese population. Ditto for Flame Broiler, the other smaller chain. I eat quite a bit of Japanese food in places like Honda Ya and Kappo Honda and I've never seen a 'teriyaki bowl'. From my understanding, Teriyaki in Japan is not that common and what we know as teriyaki here has been filtered  through Hawaii until it was a much sweeter sauce that you find at places like Rascal's. There teriyaki burgers and bowls have the sweeter, Hawaiian sauce on them that is superb. Rascal's Teriyaki Grill is one of the few that actually make their own sauce. So I think that's where the problem lies. So many dishes like teriyaki have been transformed somewhat by the time they become popular for the mainstream Americans that dishes like teriyaki in areas not heavily populated by Japanese use the same bottled sauce. Here's an article in 'Serious Eats' about the different sauces, pointing out 'Japanese style vs. American style'. Most places use bottled sauces, very few make their own. 
    So where's this leave us? I think Seattle and LA are both out. I give the award for teriyaki to Honolulu!
    post edited by EdSails - 2014/09/12 12:57:02
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: "Seattle" Teriyaki Bowls - really?? seriously???? 2014/09/13 00:04:07 (permalink)
    Let's have USC & Washington settle this in the New Years Eve Teriyaki Bowl! 
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5