Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building

Author
travelmodel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2017/12/08 15:01:13 (permalink)

Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building

Hi everyone,

We are building a "Main Street" building, and it will have a really cool basement space that will extend out under the public sidewalk with translucent bricks in the sidewalk for daylight to tables below (like in NYC).  The main floor has about 2400 SF and the basement will have at least 1500 SF, but could have more. In addition, we're planning a loft on the main floor with another  800 SF for seating.  In all, it will be about 4700'ish square feet, and we'd like to divide it into two restaurants (with 100-125 seats for each).

But if both kitchens and 4 ADA bathrooms are on the main level, then the Main level is probably getting pretty tight.  We've never built a restaurant, and trying to figure out how much room the staff needs for a general-purpose kitchen that could serve up to 125 at a time. We've seen examples with interiors that are 9' x 35', but if ours has to be 35' long, then we run out of room.  Would 11x25 work? 

About half of our seating is in the basement, and the other half on the Main and in the loft.  So an alternate design is to let one Alternatively, we have space in the basement for one or both kitchens.  If one kitchen can be in the basement, then maybe 1 restaurant should also have the entire basement?  I think the downside to that is we'd probably have to install an elevator so it can be ADA accessible.  

But we're also worried that if our kitchens are on the main level, but most of our seating is in the loft or basement, maybe this will be too many stairs for servers.  Any thoughts?  I don't have great drawings yet, but can work on some.

5 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1350
    Re: Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building 2017/12/08 15:14:33 (permalink)
    While an elevator is nice and needed, I'd look into dumbwaiters if you're going to be moving food up and down floors. Your wait staff would thank you for it and you'd not run into injuries and food losses due to taking food up and down stairs.
    hpx
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 241
    Re: Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building 2017/12/08 16:47:50 (permalink)
    "We've never built a restaurant" This seems like an enormous project even for an experienced person to attempt. The costs are going to be astronomical. Have you run any of this past any official people? Checked with anyone with any sort of archaetect? Do more down to earth basic investigations before going onto the pie in the sky dreaming. Not meaning to spoil your dreams, just urging you to put alot more thought into this. I wish you all the best in your endeavor. 
    sonamwsingh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building 2018/03/07 01:10:46 (permalink)
    Hello, I think the top professional will definitely help you and manage the things best in your budget only. You may find top listed interior designers at PickerOnline.
    post edited by sonamwsingh - 2018/03/07 01:14:21
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2412
    Re: Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building 2018/03/07 18:13:05 (permalink)
    I agree with hpx above.  You need help to layout the kitchens with the required equipment for the food service planed.      What will be your menu and what equipment is needed to cook/hold the food for service?  Since you are talking 2 kitchens I presume each restaurant will have its own specialty. If not then why 2 kitchens.

Unless the building areas is already in near 'usable as-is' condition I see a minimum of $2 million investment or more for 2 restaurants as you described.  So spending $60k to $80k for space & kitchen planing is needed for such an investment.    ...   I would start with very basic planing layout for investment feasibility study; to determine if the location is suitable for your use; and to  determin if any hidden or unknown conditions may exist before making a commitment to build out the restaurants.    The study plans are likely to cost about $8k to $12k by a professional designer or engineer.  Of course the $$ stated i believe are minimums until more conditions and plans develop.

--Good Luck with your project ---
    post edited by edwmax - 2018/03/07 18:23:08
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2412
    Re: Seeking advice on kitchen sizes, general layout for two restaurants in same building 2018/03/07 19:57:18 (permalink)
    Darn I didn't see this is 3 months old already.    Anyway may be the OP found help that ne needed.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5