Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dbear
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
  • Joined: 2003/03/30 01:01:00
  • Location: Boston, MA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/15 17:02:47 (permalink)

Of all the 'really bad for you' food, crispy skin from just about anything is one of my favorites. One item that hasn't been mentioned yet, and is a favorite of mine is chicharones, which are pieces of pork skin roasted or fried; sort of like fresh pork rinds. When I lived in Austin we used to go to a little hole-in-the-wall mexican breakfast place on S 1st St called La Reyna. They had chicharone breakfast taco's; $.50 apiece. Little bit of heaven served with migas, cilantro and pepper! OK, now where did I put those cholesterol pills?!
db
#31
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
  • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/20 16:42:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dbear


Of all the 'really bad for you' food, crispy skin from just about anything is one of my favorites. One item that hasn't been mentioned yet, and is a favorite of mine is chicharones, which are pieces of pork skin roasted or fried; sort of like fresh pork rinds. When I lived in Austin we used to go to a little hole-in-the-wall mexican breakfast place on S 1st St called La Reyna. They had chicharone breakfast taco's; $.50 apiece. Little bit of heaven served with migas, cilantro and pepper! OK, now where did I put those cholesterol pills?!
db

One of my favorites too........even use them for breading. Chicharrone breaded pork chops, any one? (actually works great for fried chicken). I get them fresh from the Mexican markets here in CA----they usually have two types. I prefer the crispy ones----keep themn for snacks all the time.
#32
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1736
  • Joined: 2002/08/16 09:35:00
  • Location: Natchitoches, LA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/20 17:53:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Originally posted by Jennifer_4

"O.k. so were talkin' about a man who puts sugar in his grits.
And ketchup in chili. . . . He's from Tennessee. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone. Support groups anyone??
Speaking as an official Tennesseean currently living elsewhere, I must inform you that your husbands are now wanted for "Flight to Avoid Prosecution" in the matter of food abuse. I apologize for them, mesdames: we're not all like that.
#33
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23237
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/20 18:23:35 (permalink)
Gribenes, anybody?
#34
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
  • Joined: 2003/04/29 10:51:00
  • Location: Providence, RI
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/21 08:14:57 (permalink)
Gribenes is what I grew up with...have not had them in a long time.

I broil chicken pieces every coupld of days for my dog and when I take them out (usually chicken leg quarters) I always pick off the crispy skin. I share abit with the dog, but after all I have to keep her healthy!
#35
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23237
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/21 11:05:01 (permalink)
Keeping your dog healthy is a good thing.
#36
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
  • Joined: 2003/05/12 13:31:00
  • Location: randolph, NJ
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/21 11:38:31 (permalink)
When I am rendering chicken fat to use in chopped liver, the side benefit is a terrifically flavorful but usually a too small amount of gribeness.
#37
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
  • Joined: 2004/03/23 10:48:00
  • Location: Gastonia, NC
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/21 15:58:15 (permalink)
Something else sinful that I like is the crumbs that are left in the pan after I fry chicken. I get a slotted spoon and get them out of the oil , then I drain them on a paper towel. Wonderful!!
#38
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
  • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/22 16:02:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Gribenes, anybody?


They started me on the caloric road to ruin......

What I wouldn't give for some nice homemade ones now!
#39
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23237
  • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/22 16:15:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by howard8

When I am rendering chicken fat to use in chopped liver, the side benefit is a terrifically flavorful but usually a too small amount of gribeness.

I just buy my chopped liver. It's not as good as the stuff of my youth, but it sure beats not having it at all.
#40
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2415
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
  • Location: Newberry, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/22 16:43:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Originally posted by Jennifer_4

"O.k. so were talkin' about a man who puts sugar in his grits.
And ketchup in chili. . . . He's from Tennessee. Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone. Support groups anyone??
Speaking as an official Tennesseean currently living elsewhere, I must inform you that your husbands are now wanted for "Flight to Avoid Prosecution" in the matter of food abuse. I apologize for them, mesdames: we're not all like that.


THANK GOODNESS! Maybe there is still hope. 12 years into this marriage, I doubt it.
#41
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
  • Joined: 2003/08/31 19:23:00
  • Location: Mt. Airy, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/22 22:37:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Whenever I go for sushi I always have a salmon-skin roll. Crunchy and delicious!


Ohmigosh!!! How could I forget crispy fish skin??? That is another one that is SO good!!!


We regularly go on a very luxurious camping trip complete with a propane oven. We have on a number of occasions made Salmon in a Salt Crust. They take a sturdy tray and about 20 pounds of Kosher salt. They buy two four-pound filets of salmon. They moisten the salt into a paste, pack it on the tray, lay the salmon on top with herbs and lemon and a dressing of soy sauce, herbs, and spices between them and on top. Then they cover it with salt so that it's completely enclosed, and bake it until the salt is hard. They take it out, crack it open, and get as much salt off as they can. The resultant fish is fabulous, but the skin is almost like fish potato chips. Crisp and salty, and absolutely delightful. The fish itself is moist, with a spectacular flavor. They serve it with a sauce made basically of the same sauce they put in and on the fish. Spicy & tangy. Nummm.
#42
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1513
  • Joined: 2000/09/19 04:01:00
  • Location: Fresno, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/23 00:08:23 (permalink)
what we really need around here is a little pig smiley... oink oink oink..
#43
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4581
  • Joined: 2003/05/09 18:39:00
  • Location: Mission Viejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/23 15:08:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

what we really need around here is a little pig smiley... oink oink oink..


I second the motion! And maybe a lobster too?
#44
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2415
  • Joined: 2003/07/15 14:43:00
  • Location: Newberry, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/23 15:20:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jennie

quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Whenever I go for sushi I always have a salmon-skin roll. Crunchy and delicious!


Ohmigosh!!! How could I forget crispy fish skin??? That is another one that is SO good!!!


We regularly go on a very luxurious camping trip complete with a propane oven. We have on a number of occasions made Salmon in a Salt Crust. They take a sturdy tray and about 20 pounds of Kosher salt. They buy two four-pound filets of salmon. They moisten the salt into a paste, pack it on the tray, lay the salmon on top with herbs and lemon and a dressing of soy sauce, herbs, and spices between them and on top. Then they cover it with salt so that it's completely enclosed, and bake it until the salt is hard. They take it out, crack it open, and get as much salt off as they can. The resultant fish is fabulous, but the skin is almost like fish potato chips. Crisp and salty, and absolutely delightful. The fish itself is moist, with a spectacular flavor. They serve it with a sauce made basically of the same sauce they put in and on the fish. Spicy & tangy. Nummm.


Now that sounds great! Could you get the same effect in a home oven I wonder.....hell, I'd pitch a tent and fill up the baby pool for that! Actually we do a lot of camping and I like to think that I can cook anything while camping that I would at home. This would be the opposite scenario. What temp and time period would you use?
#45
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
  • Joined: 2003/08/31 19:23:00
  • Location: Mt. Airy, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/24 09:36:36 (permalink)
Hubby says set the oven high, about 400 or so. As soon as the crust is hard it's cooked. You don't want to overdo it or it'll overcook. It steams in its own juices and cooks very quickly.

Our camping propane oven is very very large, having been constructed for us by a friend out of big aluminum trays and corrugated aluminum for the sides, and trays for the front and rear. It's a strange-looking thing. You put an oven thermometer in it to figure out how hot it is. And that varies on each tray, and whether you're over one of the burners. Kind of unwieldy, but we've baked biscuits for sausage gravy, and naan bread for an Indian dinner in it, as well as the salmon.

But it should work perfectly well in a real oven, too. After all, Sakai does it on Iron Chef all the time. Good luck!
#46
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
  • Joined: 2001/03/28 17:31:00
  • Location: Laurel, MD
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/26 08:46:46 (permalink)


Went to a cookout over the weekend. The host did hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken legs on the grill. He asked what I wanted, I said, "I'll have the chicken--I love grilled chicken skin." He says, "Oh, I took all that nasty skin off."



I had a hamburger instead.
#47
WingLover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
  • Joined: 2004/02/21 21:45:00
  • Location: East Norriton, PA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/07/27 11:39:15 (permalink)
Oooh .. fried chicken w/the skin .. just had some last night for dinner! YUM!!!

~Jessica
#48
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
  • Joined: 2004/07/12 17:17:00
  • Location: Knoxville, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2004/09/19 00:26:41 (permalink)
KIM'S Chicken Cracklins, the best. Made in Clarksdale, MS Theyt also come in BBQ flavor which I have not tried. The originals are really good.

carl reitz
#49
larry2001
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2005/12/21 20:36:00
  • Location: W.Covina, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2005/12/21 21:11:43 (permalink)
My first time here, I posted a new topic instead of posting here.
MY QUESTION: I LOVE SKIN,EVEN, ROASTED FISH SKIN,
BUT what you do with the meat after the SKIN is gone ???????????????? LOL
#50
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
  • Location: columbus, oh
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2005/12/22 23:30:47 (permalink)
A restaurant in Islamorada used to have fried chicken skin on the menu as an appetizer..
It had a little sideline "caution, your cardilogist may not approve", and everyone always laughed when they read that.
I cant recall if anyone ever ordered it.
Although, when I was growing up, and mom made fried chicken, I would always pull the skin off and eat it before it made it to the dinner table, and then get yelled at.
Still love it this very day, but dont eat it like I did as a child.
Tara
#51
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
  • Location: columbus, oh
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2005/12/22 23:31:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

Hi. My name is Meowzart, and I am a skin-aholic. I love a duck breast with the skin scored in Xs to be extra crispy. I love roasted turkey and chicken skin. You couldn't have good fried chicken with out the lovely skin. And Peking duck...that succulent meat and skin wrapped up in the crepe with the plum sauce? So incredible! And who was it that posted a while ago...RubyRose or ocdreamr I think....about going to a farmers market and finding a stand that sold nothing but the chicken skin fried crisp? That would be fantastic! Does fatback count as skin? So rich!

Great topic!!


How many of us have our cholestral(sp)checked lately, this year..? Oh, who cares.


I shudder to think!..
(mine aint the greatest)
#52
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5071
  • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2005/12/22 23:41:54 (permalink)
I can't believe this thread has been dug up again. 'Course I guess I shouldn't say too much...

#53
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Joined: 2005/08/15 16:17:00
  • Location: columbus, oh
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2005/12/23 10:28:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart



Went to a cookout over the weekend. The host did hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken legs on the grill. He asked what I wanted, I said, "I'll have the chicken--I love grilled chicken skin." He says, "Oh, I took all that nasty skin off."



I had a hamburger instead.



OOOOh, Bummer!
But your arteries are thanking you though!
#54
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5635
  • Joined: 2003/07/01 01:25:00
  • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
  • Status: offline
RE: Skin Skin Skin Don't ya just love it. 2005/12/23 14:08:10 (permalink)
Thankfully I'm the only 1 in the house that likes the skin off of critter. I get it ALL! ALL I Say! ALL!!!
#55
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5