Skyline Chili Coneys

Author
Kilroy126
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/05/11 12:40:35 (permalink)

Skyline Chili Coneys

I recently visited the Dayton, OH area nad ate (twice) at a Skyline Chili, the restaurant that serves "Cincinatti" style chili. They make a fantastic cincy style coney dog. I picked up a bunch of the canned Skyline chili at a Kroeger's supermarket to bring back to NY with me, as I want to try to make these coneys at home. The problem I'm having is trying to figure what type of hot dog Skyline uses and how they cook it. The dog was really small and pretty tame tasting (very little spices). I guess this is to not take away from the chili. Anyway, anybody know what i can buy to approximate this dog at home? And how are they cooked? I think they're skinless and steamed, but I'm not sure. Anybody in the know? Thanks.

20 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23275
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/11 12:59:13 (permalink)
    The hotdogs used by Skyline are specially made for them by Kahn's. While it's unlikely that you'd be able to buy the same ones, I'd guess than any of the Kahn's regular hotdogs will be about the same. I believe they boil them first. They keep them warm on a flat griddle.
    Kilroy126
    Junior Burger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/11 13:06:42 (permalink)
    Michael,
    Thanks very much for the info, I'll try that
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The hotdogs used by Skyline are specially made for them by Kahn's. While it's unlikely that you'd be able to buy the same ones, I'd guess than any of the Kahn's regular hotdogs will be about the same. I believe they boil them first. They keep them warm on a flat griddle.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/11 14:20:09 (permalink)
    I suggested this once before. If your local grocery has those thin footlongs, you cut them just a little shorter than the bun. They generally are a milder dog and small enough in diameter that they pass. Use a sweet onion and give it a fine chop or process it. If you cook them in shallow water until the water evaporates and you let them just get a hind of color your there. Try putting a couple in a styrofoam clamshell(cheese & all)and leave them on the counter before you go out. When you get back, eat them cold straight out of the box! Truly a Greater Cincinnati delicacy and arguably the cure or cause of many hangovers! We'll get to cold the next morning for breakfast coney's another time. If you have spent any time at all in Cincy you know what I'm talking about
    Hamburgler
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/18 14:51:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I live in walking distance from a Skyline Chili and Goldstar Chili, and they both use Bluegrass Meats which is local to Cincinnati. At least that's what it says on their menus. I don't know about the ones in Dayton, Ohio.
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5613
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/18 15:39:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forums, Hamburgler, always good to see another Cincinnatian on here :-)
    Hamburgler
    Junior Burger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/18 15:51:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Welcome to the forums, Hamburgler, always good to see another Cincinnatian on here :-)

baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/19 12:09:16 (permalink)
    The Dogs at the Skylines I worked at in the late 90s was a special made dog by kahns. Any bland small dog will do hehe. The dogs are put right on the grill from the package. Takes a bit to get up to temp , but thats how we did it. Worst times to go for a dog is first thing in morning or in middle of afternoon. Morning because its dogs left over from night before. and middle of afternoon because they have been there all afternoon. If you cant find kahns( is it a national brand?) oscar myer is basicly the same.
    Hamburgler
    Junior Burger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/20 11:02:35 (permalink)
    The Skyline down the road from me is open 24/7, and they stay pretty busy at night.
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/20 13:45:24 (permalink)
    What part of town is that, Hamburglar?
    Hamburgler
    Junior Burger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/21 15:49:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

What part of town is that, Hamburglar?

It's in Richwood, KY, just south of Florence.
    wesleyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/22 16:43:02 (permalink)
    Although i always, always prefer Skyline to Gold Star, there is only a Gold Star in my neighborhood. So I tried the new "burrito" they are pimping and it was pretty good.

If you like Skyline and are cooking up chili at home, there are a lot of other non coney things to try. Get some flour tortillas and shredded mild cheddar. Throw some chili and cheese in the tortilla and microwave for about 40 seconds. Awesome chilitos. You can get these at select Skylines only.

A good twist on a 3 or 4 way is to make the __way in a casserole dish and bake it. Awesome.

Welcome to the boards and enjoy the skyline. you can order more online here:
    http://www.cincinnatifavorites.com/skylinechili.php

wesleyman
    Hamburger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/22 16:50:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kilroy126

I recently visited the Dayton, OH area nad ate (twice) at a Skyline Chili, the restaurant that serves "Cincinatti" style chili.

Also, deviating slightly from the food talk, I notice quite often on various fourms all across the web that people will misspell Cincinnati "Cincinatti". It is almost universal that when it is mis spelled that it is done by using 2 "t"s instead of 2 "n"s. I wonder why. i have noticed it too often for it to be typos or coincidence.

This isn't criticism because my own spelling, grammar and typing is terrible.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/22 16:52:22 (permalink)
    Try a 5-Way pizza, or which ever way is your Way. A couple of Cincy pizza joints have done it. I've been doing it since the Bengals Freezer Bowl. A tip: put the chili on top of the beans and onions. If the chili is a little liquidy it helps keep the crust up. If it's good and meaty and thick no worry's.
    Kilroy126
    Junior Burger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/22 17:57:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wesleyman

quote:

I recently visited the Dayton, OH area nad ate (twice) at a Skyline Chili, the restaurant that serves "Cincinatti" style chili.

Also, deviating slightly from the food talk, I notice quite often on various fourms all across the web that people will misspell Cincinnati "Cincinatti". It is almost universal that when it is mis spelled that it is done by using 2 "t"s instead of 2 "n"s. I wonder why. i have noticed it too often for it to be typos or coincidence.

Wesleyman,
    Sorry bout the misspelling of Cincinnati. To tell you the truth I know how to spell it right, so I don't know what happened when I wrote my post. I think it may have had something to do with all the beers I had prior to posting
    wesleyman
    Hamburger
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/22 19:41:41 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by wesleyman

quote:

Wesleyman,
    Sorry bout the misspelling of Cincinnati. To tell you the truth I know how to spell it right, so I don't know what happened when I wrote my post. I think it may have had something to do with all the beers I had prior to posting

haha. No biggie. I wasn't getting on you about it at all. I just notice that at different places on the web I'll often see it spelled incorrectly and its always cincinatti. Could always be a typo I suppose.

The important thing is you like our chili. Better watch it though beer and cincinnati chili can be a combustable combo.
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/22 21:19:14 (permalink)
    Should this be on the FF forum rather than hot dogs, sausages, and bratwurst?
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/23 12:09:20 (permalink)
    IMHO: Yes, absolutely
    BUT: the mods here may disagree
    ALSO: Happy to see you in particular point this fact out
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1652
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/23 19:57:23 (permalink)
    I was joking.
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2006/05/24 07:43:58 (permalink)
    Looks like a perfectly serious post to me - no smilies or any other indications you ight be less than serious
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

Should this be on the FF forum rather than hot dogs, sausages, and bratwurst?
    twitmediacritic
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Skyline Chili Coneys 2017/01/08 13:40:50 (permalink)
    I believe Hoffman is correct for Skyline and Hamburgler is correct for GoldStar. Simply, Skyline = Kahns and GoldStar = BlueGrass Meats
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5