Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast?

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
2019/08/08 16:07:10 (permalink)

Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast?

Attached Image(s)

15 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23276
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/08 16:46:21 (permalink)
    I've had sausage gravy on hash browns at the Waffle House. It was pretty good. Smoked sausage gravy on them sounds like a good idea.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2487
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/08 17:00:50 (permalink)
    That can work.   I've done the smoked sausage and sausage gravy over eggs.   ... And lately, I've been making sausage & peppers egg omelet with tomato gravy.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10361
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/08 17:45:35 (permalink)
    That's a workable idea. Will try it!

mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 12234
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/09 15:54:43 (permalink)
    Sounds good but the plating doesn't present it self well.

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7349
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/09 16:13:03 (permalink)
    mar52
    Sounds good but the plating doesn't present it self well.

Plating, schmating.
    My plate would be licked clean!

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11917
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/09 16:57:05 (permalink)
    YUMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!  That looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BigEd3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/09 16:59:48 (permalink)
    add a biscuit or 2 in the middle and it would be perfect.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5899
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/10 10:49:29 (permalink)
    edwmax
    That can work.   I've done the smoked sausage and sausage gravy over eggs.   ... And lately, I've been making sausage & peppers egg omelet with tomato gravy.

What’s tomato gravy consist of in your neck of the woods?
    edwmax
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/10 19:49:37 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    edwmax

The basic tomato gravy is diced tomato cooked down to thick sauce and flour added to thicken.    ...   A kicked up version would have diced onion & green peppers added.   ... I know preferably the tomatoes would be home grown and vine ripened. 

I cook for one now, so my quick version is made with heated butter in the skillet; 3 table spoons or more of mild tomato salsa (already has onions & green peppers); and bit more black pepper.   Only need to heat it and no flour (don't need the extra starch) .  .... It's as good as mom made when I was growing up.  

Or use a hot salsa for a Southwestern style sauce.
    post edited by edwmax - 2019/08/10 19:56:00
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/11 09:40:55 (permalink)
    edwmax
    1bbqboy
    edwmax

The basic tomato gravy is diced tomato cooked down to thick sauce and flour added to thicken.    ...   A kicked up version would have diced onion & green peppers added.   ... I know preferably the tomatoes would be home grown and vine ripened. 

I cook for one now, so my quick version is made with heated butter in the skillet; 3 table spoons or more of mild tomato salsa (already has onions & green peppers); and bit more black pepper.   Only need to heat it and no flour (don't need the extra starch) .  .... It's as good as mom made when I was growing up.  

I’ve never had that before. Lots of stewed tomatoes, and salsa, but never tomato gravy.
    Thanks!
    edwmax
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/11 10:12:32 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    edwmax
    1bbqboy
    edwmax

I’ve never had that before. Lots of stewed tomatoes, and salsa, but never tomato gravy.
    Thanks!

Not all jarred salsa are made with or just tomato based.     Some has other vegetable fillers (beets) and so I quit buying and using 'jarred salsa' 30 years ago. Those didn't taste right and/or tasted like catsup with hot peppers added. ....   I made my own or bought a brand named canned salsa (when available).    ...   This past year I found the Great Value jarred salsa to be good and tomato based.    It's just tomatoes onions and peppers.   .... So it can be used in a lot of dishes and/or soup.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/11 11:02:07 (permalink)
    edwmax
    1bbqboy
    edwmax
    1bbqboy
    edwmax

Thanks!

Not all jarred salsa are made with or just tomato based.     Some has other vegetable fillers (beets) and so I quit buying and using 'jarred salsa' 30 years ago. Those didn't taste right and/or tasted like catsup with hot peppers added. ....   I made my own or bought a brand named canned salsa (when available).    ...   This past year I found the Great Value jarred salsa to be good and tomato based.    It's just tomatoes onions and peppers.   .... So it can be used in a lot of dishes and/or soup.

We are lucky to have several local/regional fresh salsa makers whose products are refrigerated so the jarred stuff rarely sees action round these parts.
    edwmax
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/11 14:22:33 (permalink)

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3104
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/11 15:05:51 (permalink)
    Looks good Tom! I would need two red toothpicks. If I had two blue ones someone would be telling me how to eat it and how I'm killing the environment by eating pork and everything else.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6449
    Re: Smoked Sausage and Gravy on Hash Browns, BBQ Breakfast? 2019/08/11 16:19:27 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    Looks good Tom! I would need two red toothpicks. If I had two blue ones someone would be telling me how to eat it and how I'm killing the environment by eating pork and everything else.

Hey Bill, yep, and that eating is bad for your teeth!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5