Helpful ReplyHot!Snacks that should be brought back

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2011/08/08 19:36:58
A&P Spanish bar cake
Coke and Pepsi made with real sugar in glass bottles. yes, I know you can get it from Mexico and I do buy it but it should be available everywhere. 
post edited by ynotryme - 2011/08/08 19:39:38
ann peeples
Porterhouse
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2011/08/08 20:09:14
Om my gosh-I used to LOVE the Spanish bar cake from A&P!!!!!!!!
Eric B
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2011/08/12 15:46:52
ynotryme
Coke and Pepsi made with real sugar in glass bottles. yes, I know you can get it from Mexico and I do buy it but it should be available everywhere. 
They still have Pepsi Throwback here in the states. Forget if they had a glass bottle edition (it's usually Coke that does that).

drummagick
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/02/28 21:36:03
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/10/03 11:28:05
My list:

1. Mad Hatter Potato Chips

2. Krun-Chee Potato Chips

3. Green Onion Flavour Potato Chips

4. Neilson's Jersey Milk Treasures

Jersey Milk Treasures were like boxed chocolate but in a standard chocolate bar. The flavours of the individual pieces were strawberry cream, bordeaux, nougat, caramel, praline and turkish delight. This and the liquid Four Flavours below were discontinued by Cadbury Schweppes when they took over Neilson's in 1996.

5. Neilson's Liquid 4 Flavours

Liquid Four Flavours were like Caramilk but squarer and covered with dark chocolate. The soft fillings were chocolate, vanilla, caramel and my favourite, bordeaux! 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joadhenry/3467512872/ 

6. Neilson's Peppermints and Neilson's Caramels. Like Rolo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joadhenry/3466698251/ 

7. Neilson's Nutty.

I've already phoned in a couple of death threats to Cadbury but they refuse to reinstate the above chocolates. You just can't reason with these multi-national conglomerates.

8. Christie's Butter Tarts

Incredibly messy two packs available at corner variety stores!

post edited by Hepcat - 2013/06/26 17:13:10
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/10/03 12:03:40
ynotryme Coke and Pepsi made with real sugar in glass bottles. yes, I know you can get it from Mexico and I do buy it but it should be available everywhere. 

They have to be refillable glass bottles though carrying a deposit. Twouldn't taste right or be right otherwise.

Here are a few pictures of my kitchen pantry in which I store my bottle and glass collection:

kevaxe2k2
Hamburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/10/06 21:31:26
Nice collection! I have on similiar consisting of beer cans/bottles.
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/10/07 19:13:49
I drank milk and pop as a kid so those are the bottles I collect now. 

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/10/15 10:27:39
debdog42
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/09 03:55:20
My list:
Sunshine Lemon or Lime Coolers cookies
Original Mars bars
Powerhouse candy bars
JELLO 1-2-3
Caravelle Bars
Original Oh Henry bars-before Nestle
Morton's frozen donuts
Girl Scout Thin Mints from the 60's-still had a mint patty under the chocolate!
Special K cereal the way it was in the 70's
Hostess O's
Doo Dads
Nabisco Cameo Cream sandwich cookies
Butternut Candy Bar
Callard and Bowser anything
Eggnog Carnation Instant Breakfast
Chocolate Payday bars
Soft and Chewy Heath Bars
Screaming Yellow Zonkers
Hostess Tiger Tails
Keebler Munch 'ems
Nabisco Bacon Crackers
Mr. Salty Pretzels
Mystic Mints cookies
TOASTETTES
Lime Starburst
Golden Raisin Biscuits
Jolly Ranchers from the 70's
Nabisco Heyday bars

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/09 12:53:48
debdog42
Original Oh Henry bars-before Nestle

Try one the next time you're in Canada. Here's a picture of the current U.S. Oh Henry bar on the left with the Canadian Oh Henry bar on the right:

I have not noticed any change in Oh Henry bars in Canada!

post edited by Hepcat - 2012/11/09 13:02:14
suemo
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/11 01:24:54
Zero candy bars are still available in Seaside, CA.
suemo
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/11 01:29:41
My list:

7-Up candy bars
Marathon
Adams Sour Apple gum
Wacky Wafer
A baked treat I can barely remember and have no name for: a small chocolate cake with a cavity in the center filled with banana-flavored cream. My mother used to buy them at Safeway in the early 70s, possibly made by Hostess but I'm not positive.

suemo
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/11 01:55:38
And one more: the whole-wheat (or so they claimed) rolls KFC used to serve before they switched to buttermilk biscuits
Eric B
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/27 12:10:15
suemo 
A baked treat I can barely remember and have no name for: a small chocolate cake with a cavity in the center filled with banana-flavored cream. My mother used to buy them at Safeway in the early 70s, possibly made by Hostess but I'm not positive. 

That was the Banana Dream, by Mickey (ABC). I believe it's been discussed it this thread, and it has its own thread.

Won't it be ironic if Twinkies ends up added to this discussion! Who could ever imagine?
post edited by Eric B - 2012/11/27 22:31:46
OxDawg
Hamburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/27 12:25:29
Cajun Pringles
Ideal Cookie Bars by Nabisco

tmiles
Filet Mignon
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/27 12:58:54
I miss Dreshels (sp?) frozen cakes, and Stouffers frozen cupcakes.

I have not been a big Hostess fan for a few years, but it looks like we will be missing them, too, as existing supplies are sold out. Someone will buy the brands, and maybe improve quality. I note that the experts think that the brand names, alone, will sell for more than a year of annual sales for the former maker.

Labor said that management was poor, and management says that labor was greedy. Maybe they were both right. I doubt that the new brand owner will be looking for employees from either camp.
mar52
Porterhouse
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2012/11/27 14:10:33
Still available in England but I wish they were on the shelves locally...

Horlicks Malted Milk Tablets in the bottle.
Eric B
Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2013/01/08 11:15:58
Here's a whole Yahoo story on discontinued snacks:
http://finance.yahoo.com/...t-again-163919688.html
EliseW
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2013/07/22 22:50:21
Zero bars are still around.   I bought one at Walmart last Saturday.
EliseW
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2013/07/22 23:12:50
They need to bring back a lot of snacks like taco dorritos, jello 1-2-3, a dessert called "shake a pudding"-it had a special jar and you dumped the mix and milk into it and shook it up.  It was yummy.   There also was a diet drink called Tab and they briefly made a black cherry version that was so good.  It was in the early 80's.  I could only find it in Northern Ky.  Does anyone remember "Slow Pokes" ?  It was  a gooey piece of caramel wrapped in chocolate on a stick.  They were really chewy and took awhile to eat. 
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2013/07/22 23:20:28
I remember as a kid in NY, Sunshine Baking Company made a crispy, chocolate chip cookie with a swirled texture on the top of the cookie. I loved those cookies with a cold glass of milk.
EliseW
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2013/07/23 00:04:54
A few others I remember are "Mamas Cookies"-they may have been local here in Cincinnati.  I miss chocodiles, fruit stripe gum,  strawberry hostess cupcakes and  a peanut brittle bar.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2013/07/23 07:29:33
Elise-Slo Pokes were actually not covered in chocolate. Black Cows were covered in chocolate. I remember because I broke a tooth on a frozen slo poke when I was 10, and have a gold crown to this day as a result. They are available , still.......
TruckerGitty
Junior Burger
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Snacks that should be brought back 2014/12/09 05:26:02
A lot of the candies, that are posted here are at  And if you call them, and ask nice, they may give you a discount code for you order. And the ship fast! I always make a big order for Christmas. Nice to put favorite treats in all the stockings!
officesnacks
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/26 18:12:23
I thought a Marathon bar was a snickers bar?
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/26 21:20:34
Maple flavored Junket
bartl
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/27 14:13:18
officesnacksI thought a Marathon bar was a snickers bar?

It's a long relatively long lattice-shaped firm caramel covered with chocolate (or was; let me look it up to make sure it still exists....)

Ah! OK, the Marathon Bar was the Mars American edition of Cadbury's Curly Wurly bar (still manufactured). However, to confuse things further, there what was called the Marathon in the UK was more similar to the American Snickers bar, and is currently called that.

Bart
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/27 16:20:31
I'd say a Forever Yours bar by Mars, but I think today that's called a Milky Way Dark. Love them!!!
mar52
Porterhouse
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/27 16:39:58
leethebard
I'd say a Forever Yours bar by Mars, but I think today that's called a Milky Way Dark. Love them!!!

Yes!  They're now Milky Way Dark.  Delicious!

I wish they'd bring back the old Mars Bar that was shaped more like a playing card, nougat topped with almond halves and covered in milk chocolate.
stricken_detective
Filet Mignon
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/27 17:38:34
O'Boises potato chips
Hostess Choco Bliss
Keebler Pizzaria's chips
Krunchers Alfredo flavored potato chips
Jay's Calypso chips
Snyder's of Hanover Steak and Grilled Onion potato chips
Hula Chews
P.B. Maxx candy bars
P.B. Crunchers candy
Devil's Food Twinkies
Pepsi Light (with the lemon on the can)
Campbell's Meatball Alphabet soup
Hostess BLUEBERRY fruit pies
Life Savers Swirled Lollipops, blueberry flavor
Jolly Rancher Stix
Cookies and Cream Twix

And now I want to try Breakstones Clam Dip.
post edited by stricken_detective - 2016/01/28 00:07:01
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/27 21:15:18
mar52
leethebard

Yes!  They're now Milky Way Dark.  Delicious!

I wish they'd bring back the old Mars Bar that was shaped more like a playing card, nougat topped with almond halves and covered in milk chocolate.

All the Mars bars of the 50's were wider and flatter, especially the 3 musketeers,that had three sections, with three different flavors, vanilla,chocolate and strawberry,scored so you could break it into 3 sections and share,see "3" musketeers. Now they should bring that one back!!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/01/27 21:21:31
Like these......
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2016/12/30 01:21:23
Sunshine Raisin Biscuits (Keebler) ...
though there are traditional versions of this known as Garibaldi Biscuits that have a currant filling rather than raisin.

I've also had a craving for Stella d'Oro Egg Biscuits ... though these are still made and available somewheres, I have not seen them in any store in ages.

Been craving the original Carnation Breakfast Bars too.
sweeties candy
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/08 13:13:32
Turkish taffy is still around! We have 4 flavors 

BelleReve
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/22 13:17:46
bacon horseradish dip - I think Kraft made it

Kraft garlic cheese roll

Red Oval Farms stoned wheat thins - these may not have been discontinued, but for some reason the stores in our area won't carry them.  I can't complain too much because I just found a close substitute -Whole Foods' brand cracked wheat crackers.  
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/22 13:42:27
We still have the bacon horseradish dip here...Bob loves it! However we can only find it at one store..
BelleReve
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/22 18:25:52
ann - I'm so surprised, the closest I've come to finding it was Swiss Colony sold it in pint-sized containers at a kiosk in the mall at Christmas, years ago.  I'm thinking of making it, can't be hard and not many ingredients.   
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 08:02:57
BelleReve
Red Oval Farms stoned wheat thins - these may not have been discontinued, but for some reason the stores in our area won't carry them.  I can't complain too much because I just found a close substitute -Whole Foods' brand cracked wheat crackers.

I remember those Stoned Wheat Thins (great with cheese spreads)...didn't they come in several varieties?  It looks like you can still get them through Amazon.

The bacon horseradish dip is a new one to me, though.
BelleReve
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 11:06:24
Screaming Chicken - The dip was very good, and I can't even find another brand that makes them. 

I think those stoned wheat thins only came in one flavor but two sizes - minis, and the other the size of a saltine.  Try the ones from Whole Foods.  They're very unique, nothing else really like them and I tried a lot of others before finding the ones at Whole Foods.

stevefinn
Hamburger
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 11:36:34
Around here (Connecticut), Heluva Good brand makes a bacon horseradish dip that is sold in most supermarkets. I always assumed it was a national brand, but maybe not.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 12:40:29
Sounds good but, never heard of Heluva Good Brand here in Dallas.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 12:44:51
sweeties candy
Turkish taffy is still around! We have 4 flavors 

Bonomo's vanilla was my favorite growing up. But now at 77, my doc has told me to stay away from sugar. Baaaaaah!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 14:22:10
Brad-I get the dip at Woodmans.
eruby
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 14:37:43
stevefinn
Around here (Connecticut), Heluva Good brand makes a bacon horseradish dip that is sold in most supermarkets. I always assumed it was a national brand, but maybe not.

We have Heluva Good dips here in Maryland.

Utz even makes potato chips with their flavors.

ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 17:04:50
I would be interested in trying those!
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 18:15:31
My Dad (even to his dying day) was trying to get Durkee to make Olive Butter again, or give him the recipe....to no avail. All my life growing up it was a staple w/ "Neptune" premium Sardines in chiles on Rye Toast. Durkee stopped making it, and then Stinson's Sardines in Prospect Harbor closed (Neptune was the 'Cadillac" over their Beech Cliff brand) near our house in WH...the last Sardine Packing house in the USA. I miss my Dad...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 19:09:49
stevefinn

I see lots of Heluva Good cheeses in supermarkets around here.
David_NYC
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 22:17:53
Twinwillow

Heluva Good, which started out in Sodus, NY was always a regional brand. After the H.P. Hood dairy outfit bought them, distribution expanded. While the dips and condiments are still made in upstate NY, cheese product production is now handled by Schreiber Foods in Wisconsin. Schreiber produces most of the supermarket house brand shredded cheese sold on peg hooks around here.
Root-Beer Man
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/23 22:29:09
I love their onion dip. Goes great with the Simply Lays potato chips.
eruby
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/24 06:27:51
ann peeples
I would be interested in trying those!

If you have a PO Box, or some other mailing address you feel safe to disclose, I will be happy to mail you the chips.
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/24 08:02:43
ann peeples
Brad-I get the dip at Woodmans.

Thanks!  I don't get to Woodmans very often but I'll watch for it the next time I'm there.
cavandre
Re:Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/24 08:46:14
Twinwillow

In FL, Publix carries that brand.
tom655
Junior Burger
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2017/01/27 12:35:30
I wish Peter Paul would bring back the Almond Cluster.   
post edited by tom655 - 2017/01/27 12:37:15
RE: Snacks that should be brought back 2017/02/03 10:10:04
I wish they would bring back Penrose Sausages in the jar. They make the ones in the individual packs but they don't taste as good as the ones in the jar. After the plant burnt down that made the sausages in the jar they never opened it back up!
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6