Helpful ReplyHot!So Much Pizza in Connecticut

Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Author
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/04/10 13:41:25 (permalink)
lleechef
mlm
Oh, that looks GREAT. Obviously, I'm living in the wrong part of the country for pizza and pasta.

At least you have BBQ.  We live in a culinary wasteland unless you're really into corn and soybeans.

That pizza looks fantastic!

Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1005
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/04/15 17:12:15 (permalink)
Went back to BAR yesterday for some mashed potato indulgence.

I know that place has been pooh-pooh'ed here before, for reasons that have nothing to do with the food.  I maintain that (1) it deserves its place alongside other legendary establishments in the area and (2) the key to experiencing it as a food-focused environment is to simply go during the day.  

Again, this is an excellent pie, and it's no wonder that it became their signature.  The thinnest crust out of all the New Haven places, mashed potato that's delicious all on its own and somehow not overbearingly rich, abundant bacon, delightfully vocal garlic.  

I'm a lover of cocktails, and if I want both those and New Haven pizza in the same sitting, then Pepe's, Sally's, and Modern are not options.  And BAR knows what it's doing.

That there is a phenomenal mojito with berries, ginger, and almost everything else you see below.

Loved the decor.

The bartender told me that he spent a lot of time going back and forth between NYC and Boston, taking him through Hartford, so I happily told him about Franklin Giant Grinder.  He, in turn, shared a BBQ place in Brooklyn called Hometown Bar-B-Que whose Bloody Maries can apparently include everything from candied bacon to entire short ribs.  

And, just before leaving, I was tipped off to Czapiga by a fellow patron.  I swear, I've gotten some of the very best tips from brief, random encounters with strangers.  Essential as online resources are, there will never be a substitute for word of mouth. 
post edited by Ketteract - 2017/04/15 17:22:40
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/04/17 15:44:23 (permalink)
It's been a long time since we tried the mashed potato pizza at Bar, but I do remember it being so far the best I've had of that particular type of pie.
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/22 10:06:14 (permalink)
Here is some miscellaneous Connecticut pizza that I had recently.

First, we have a slice from the somewhat generically-named Napoli Pizza in Wallingford. This is one of the most NYC-looking slices I've ever seen outside of NYC.

Also snapped a pic of this, because why not?

Next, we have something more involved from Luna Pizza in West Hartford. What you see here is half roasted eggplant and kalamata olives, half meatball, grilled onions, and mushrooms.

The meatballs were neither whole nor sliced, but crumbled in the style of bulk sausage - something that I now think should be more common; the onions were plentiful but not slipping all over the place, the way that grilled ones often do. What I really fawned over, though, was the eggplant-and-kalamata half. That was nothing short of revelatory, on par with when someone finally got me to like pineapple on pizza by pairing it with jalapenos (almost like a salsa, but that's another story). Both eggplant and kalamatas have distinct, earthy flavors that work incredibly well together.

Finally, we have a slice from good ol' Corner Grinder.

Not really NY-style, not Greek, not Sicilian, it's just... their own thing. And good.
post edited by Ketteract - 2017/06/22 10:07:58
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8865
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/22 10:30:06 (permalink)
Some gorgeous looking pizza......
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2855
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/22 16:28:31 (permalink)
Ketteract, great stuff as always, man!  Love those NYC-style slices.  The Travelin' Man has been telling me about BAR for a few years and I think I'll need to make an overnight trip to New Haven to check it out (along with Pepe's, Sally's, Modern and a return to Louis Lunch!).  I may need some partners-in-crime to help me devour those pies.  

I had lunch at Hometown Bar-B-Que for my birthday last month and it was amazing!  I'm not a tomato juice fan and not much of a cocktail drinker, so Bloody Marys are lost on me but the bar-b-que was top notch.

Here's a picture of the platter that three of us shared.  The sides, clockwise, from bottom left: Texas Style Queso Mac & Cheese, Smoked Pit Beans (with Brisket Burnt Ends), Backyard Potato Salad and Whiskey Sour Pickles.  The meats were: Brisket (center), Beef Rib (on the right), Lamb Belly (on the wax paper) and Spare Ribs (next to the mac & cheese).  I know this is your pizza Thread so I hope it's okay to post this picture narrative here.  If not, just let me know.

TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5300
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/22 17:02:39 (permalink)
oh dear lord, thats so damned beautiful!

Billy, I hate you :-)
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1291
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/22 17:17:33 (permalink)
I 100% agree with your assessment of that being the most NYC looking slice I've ever seen outside of New York.  Did it taste as good as it looked?
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/23 17:17:22 (permalink)
billyboy
Ketteract, great stuff as always, man!  Love those NYC-style slices.  The Travelin' Man has been telling me about BAR for a few years and I think I'll need to make an overnight trip to New Haven to check it out (along with Pepe's, Sally's, Modern and a return to Louis Lunch!).  I may need some partners-in-crime to help me devour those pies.  

I had lunch at Hometown Bar-B-Que for my birthday last month and it was amazing!  I'm not a tomato juice fan and not much of a cocktail drinker, so Bloody Marys are lost on me but the bar-b-que was top notch.

Here's a picture of the platter that three of us shared.  The sides, clockwise, from bottom left: Texas Style Queso Mac & Cheese, Smoked Pit Beans (with Brisket Burnt Ends), Backyard Potato Salad and Whiskey Sour Pickles.  The meats were: Brisket (center), Beef Rib (on the right), Lamb Belly (on the wax paper) and Spare Ribs (next to the mac & cheese).

Get to BAR during the day if you can - its night scene definitely isn't for everyone.  Try one of their incredible mojitos alongside that excellent pizza.

The bartender went on about Hometown Bar-B-Que at enthusiastic length, and it seems to have been justified!  The lamb belly is interesting.  I'm not sure I've ever seen lamb offered at a BBQ joint but I'd certainly try it.  The "queso mac and cheese" intrigues me, too.  Did it have a different flavor than your usual mac and cheese?

hatteras04
I 100% agree with your assessment of that being the most NYC looking slice I've ever seen outside of New York.  Did it taste as good as it looked?

I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5.  Not mind-blowingly amazing, but there was craftsmanship.  I'd have no problem recommending it to others.

Here are couple of other slices I had recently.

That one is from Harry's Bishop's Corner (so named to distinguish it from the Harry's near the West Hartford Center), who had a booth at the Celebrate West Hartford fair.  I'd been intending to go there at some point since they have a high reputation among my coworkers.  You wouldn't think that a booth at a fair would be optimal conditions for a restaurant to prepare and show off their food... but I was pretty impressed with this slice.  The sauce stood out with a loud flavor of fresh tomatoes - you can see some chunks under the cheese.  It was good enough to reinforce my desire to check out the actual restaurant.

Today I had this.

.... yeah.  That's from Woodland Pizza in Hartford, which has the distinction of being the only pizzeria within a reasonable walking distance of where I work.  It was as unimpressive as it looked, with forgettable crust, invisible sauce, and cheap cheese.  Ah well, at least I gave them a try.
post edited by Ketteract - 2017/06/23 17:27:35
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2855
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/06/27 19:08:57 (permalink)
Ketteract, the lamb belly was a real sleeper hit.  Smoky, with a bold lamb flavor that wasn't gamey.  The flavor of the mac & cheese was different.  I think they may have used Ro-Tel in the cheese sauce, an excellent choice.
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/11 23:06:40 (permalink)
Today's lunch was a couple of solid Sicilian slices from the reliable D&D Market.

I was pleased to see them using the larger style of pepperoni - that's not something I've often seen on pizza.

Last Friday's dinner was from Kent Pizza 3.  What I assume is the original Kent Pizza is out in Winsted - although I can't readily confirm any relationship that they may have with KP3, at least not online.  And I've no clue what happened to KP2.  At any rate, KP3 is located at the corner of Garden and Ashley Streets in Hartford, a sketchy area but one that's still better than even a few blocks away.  One coworker told me that KP3 was a genuine destination spot for pizza decades ago, which I found very believable, as a calzone and a grinder that I'd had from them a few years back had both been excellent.

Well, the pizza was... strange.

I ordered online, and although I checked off meatball, bacon, and onion, this wasn't like any meatball I'd had before.  I allowed for the possibility that it was like Luna's, crumbled, but it just didn't seem to have enough flavor to be anything but plain ground beef.  

I feel like this could have been one of the better pizzas in the Hartford area, but the whole pie was thrown off by an extremely odd and strong sweetness whose source I had considerable trouble isolating.  It was almost a maple flavor.  In the bacon?  The sauce?  The crust?  After several bites, I still couldn't really tell - and the flavor did not grow on me as I persevered.  For all I knew, this was KP3's signature, beloved by whatever local following they had.  I was a little heartbroken because I had enjoyed the calzone and grinder so much.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 01:45:53 (permalink)
Sure looks strange..crust almost looks formed. Generic!!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1291
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 09:11:52 (permalink)
That looks like every pizza we get in Columbus!  And some of them are quite sweet - usually it's the crust.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22620
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 10:58:17 (permalink)
hatteras04
That looks like every pizza we get in Columbus!  And some of them are quite sweet - usually it's the crust.

Yep. It could have come from Donato's.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22620
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 10:58:17 (permalink)
hatteras04

Yep. It could have come from Donato's.

Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 11:12:20 (permalink)
I can deal with sweetness - I'll happily eat the sugary sauces from Maple Giant Grinder or Wethersfield Pizza House - but this one was soooo weird.  And if it was indeed the crust, I wonder what they put in, because it sure as heck wasn't regular sugar.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 734
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 11:28:23 (permalink)
Rogue yeast? It can produce an odd sweetness...just a thought.
Uncle Groucho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 476
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 11:43:18 (permalink)
We had a local place that used a large paint brush to apply a sweet pineapple syrup to the crust before the toppings. That was weird.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5300
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 12:08:43 (permalink)
the crust looks like that of a frozen pizza from the grocer, honestly.....
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/07/12 12:49:23 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
the crust looks like that of a frozen pizza from the grocer, honestly.....

Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/12/02 17:09:48 (permalink)
The one time I've eaten at the original Pepe's in New Haven, it was just after they opened on a winter weekend morning, and there was literally no line.  What a difference a few hours makes - today's line was well out the door around 2:00.  And Sally's is dinner-only.  So Modern it was.

Half meatball and onions, half sausage and peppers.

The last time I was here, I got half bacon and onions, half sausage and hot cherry peppers.  The bacon had been overly salty, far inferior to Pepe's, and the cherry peppers were pickled - too strong for my taste.  I hoped to have a better experience this time.

Well, I can also cross meatballs off the list of toppings that I'll ever get here again.    Just look at this.

The driest meatball-shards I've ever had.  Their flavor was difficult to even taste.  For comparison, here's how Sally's does meatballs.

What a difference, eh?  No contest at all.  

I will say that the sausage and peppers half fared much better, although the sausage, while being the ground style that I much prefer over sliced on pizza, wasn't as good as BAR's or Zuppardi's.

The crust was as exceptional as ever, characteristically more lightly done than Pepe's or Sally's.  No complaints.

As long as I live in Connecticut, I'll be patronizing Modern from time to time.  I just hope that I find more toppings to like than dislike.  *sigh*
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5407
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2017/12/03 10:07:04 (permalink)
Ketteract
The one time I've eaten at the original Pepe's in New Haven, it was just after they opened on a winter weekend morning, and there was literally no line.  What a difference a few hours makes - today's line was well out the door around 2:00.  And Sally's is dinner-only.  So Modern it was.

Half meatball and onions, half sausage and peppers.

The last time I was here, I got half bacon and onions, half sausage and hot cherry peppers.  The bacon had been overly salty, far inferior to Pepe's, and the cherry peppers were pickled - too strong for my taste.  I hoped to have a better experience this time.

Well, I can also cross meatballs off the list of toppings that I'll ever get here again.    Just look at this.

The driest meatball-shards I've ever had.  Their flavor was difficult to even taste.  For comparison, here's how Sally's does meatballs.

What a difference, eh?  No contest at all.  

I will say that the sausage and peppers half fared much better, although the sausage, while being the ground style that I much prefer over sliced on pizza, wasn't as good as BAR's or Zuppardi's.

The crust was as exceptional as ever, characteristically more lightly done than Pepe's or Sally's.  No complaints.

As long as I live in Connecticut, I'll be patronizing Modern from time to time.  I just hope that I find more toppings to like than dislike.  *sigh*

Do they have a Ham and Pinapple version? :)
Page: << < ..11 Showing page 11 of 11
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5