Helpful ReplyHot!So Much Pizza in Connecticut

Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22979
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/03/03 17:37:10 (permalink)
And notice the box. It's apizza, not pizza. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/03/03 17:37:10 (permalink)
And notice the box. It's apizza, not pizza. 
JoyB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/05/16 11:32:13 (permalink)
Hi everyone. I am from CT (born and raised and have lived here all of my life) and am really enjoying this thread and the grinder thread by Ketteract. I was raised in the Bpt.-Stratford area (*we ALWAYS call pizza Ah-beetz in Bpt.*) and then we moved to Shelton-Derby area so am familiar with Roseland as well as New Haven pizza. I worked in New Haven for several years and we often ordered Zuppardis or Modern. I have not tried BAR yet but  have had all of the A-Listers mentioned with that one exception.

We lived in Middletown for a while and found Krust and Mondo to be acceptable and a little take out place in Durham called Carmines Pizza.   I personally think this pizza is the closest to New Haven in the Middletown area.

Does anyone know of a pizza place in CT that uses scammorza cheese on their pizza? I grew up with this cheese on our ah-beetz and remember the tanginess being fantastic. It was called "scamozz" because I think they mixed it with mozzarella. Does anyone besides me remember this cheese on their pie? 

Thanks for a great thread!
JoyB
Junior Burger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/05/16 11:39:43 (permalink)
[tube]https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/3d4wwj/the-pizza-show-new-haven[/tube]

Thought  you all might enjoy this video. 
post edited by JoyB - 2018/05/16 11:40:53
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/05/16 15:49:57 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood JoyB. Jerry's on Pequonnock Street always used "scamotz" (scamorza). Scamotz seems to be the standard in Bridgeport.
JoyB
Junior Burger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/05/18 08:21:11 (permalink)
Thank you. There was a place on Park Ave. near Olive St. that we used to get ours from (grew up on Laurel Ave near the Klein Memorial Auditorium) that was so delicious. I can't remember the name but it was what I searched for flavor wise my whole life and really never found again. There was a place in Farmington called Rossini's Pizza that came closest but that place became Joey Garlics and now it is some other name. 

I remember the crust being chewy and a little burnt around the edges. When I was a kid, I would avoid the burnt edge but now that I am much wiser (and a tad older) I know that is flavor that I adore. My dad would come home on a Friday night with a large "scamotes" and sausage and I was in heaven. 

Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to interacting with all of you. 
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/06/03 18:48:13 (permalink)
The red potato pizza at the Willington Pizza House had been recommended to me when I first moved to Connecticut six years ago.  Only today did I finally get around to trying it, on the way home from antiquing in Putnam.

Here's the only photo I took of the place's interior, but it should be enough to communicate the vibe:

They opened in 1978, and moved in 1981 to their current location, and boy, don't they look it?  I doubt they have any intention of changing a thing, situated where they are in rural Connecticut, and that's just fine with me.

I'll let their menu speak for the pizza:

National award-winning pizza, first place for the most exotic pizza of the year. A plain crust with sour cream, sliced red potatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, chives and your choice of bacon, broccoli or both.

I have two coworkers who are from the Quiet Corner; both had tried the pizza and given it a thumbs-up.  I ordered the small size, with both bacon and broccoli, and added jalapenos.

I admit to being turned off by the topping distribution - c'mon, folks, you can do a better job than that, even on a small pie.  Other than that, it looked great.

The potatoes and sour cream were hidden under the cheese.

It was, as you see, a thicker, pan-style crust - we're not in New Haven, folks!

After the description on the menu, I was expecting greatness, and I got it.  The slipshod toppings belied the fact that the pizza was actually quite well-constructed, holding together nicely as I ate it, potato slices, sour cream, and all.  Everything combined to supply the same flavors as a loaded baked potato, but with the bonuses of pizza crust and a pizza form factor - which is to say, exactly what you'd want from a pizza like this.

Now, as to how this ranks with, say, the mashed potato pizza from BAR, or whether this is as much of a draw as New Haven pizzerias in general... well, I don't think those are terribly fair or worthwhile questions.  Like Colony Grill, this is its own thing, and worth trying at least once. 

post edited by Ketteract - 2018/06/03 18:49:36
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9638
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/06/03 19:32:45 (permalink)
Very interesting looking pie!!
JoyB
Junior Burger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2018/06/04 08:32:22 (permalink)
Thanks Ketteract.

That definitely looks worth the drive from Central CT. I bet my husband would love that pizza since he is a spud fan of the first order. I am less into novelty pizzas than most people. I am kind of a purist and really love a plain mozz best, but once in a while I admit to ordering a white pie with garlic, spinach, bacon or prosciutto, fresh roma tomato, basil and mozzarella. Now that is a great pie.

There is a place in Durham CT called Carmines who makes a very nice NH style pie and I sometimes would order that white pie from them. 

I haven't had a good pizza in a while. I work in Bristol and so far, nothing has floated my boat that is doable for lunch hour (either drive to pick up or delivery)

Does anyone know of a GREAT pizza in the Bristol, Plainville area? I know Southington has one or two good places but that is a little too far unless they deliver to Bristol. LMK if you know of any.

Page: << < ..1112 Showing page 12 of 12
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5