Helpful ReplyHot!So Much Pizza in Connecticut

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 11
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11502
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/01 12:15:29 (permalink)
I'm kind of partial to Pepe's.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22620
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/01 12:42:45 (permalink)
For the past several years I wondered why I'd never heard of Modern Apizza, considering that I grew up in New Haven, and had eaten pies from all the best pizzerias. Now I know why. It used to be State Street Apizza. I've had their apizza. It wasn't bad, but I preferred The Spot, Sally's and Pepe's. They were the best.
essvee10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/01 16:38:26 (permalink)
Modern is great in most ways, but they use canned mushrooms, and maybe even canned peppers. Yuk.
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/02 07:49:05 (permalink)
Ketteract

The sausage in your photos looks okay, though not in the same league as Zuppardi's.  I think all the New Haven-area establishments are good at different things, so picking a favorite depends on what you're looking for the most in a pizza.  If I want good sausage, I go to Zuppardi's; if I want bacon and onion, I go to Pepe's; if I want the best char without having to ask them to bake it differently, I go to Modern.

Ketteract, I think you said it exactly right - each one has a specialty that makes it uniquely theirs - it's hard to rate differences between 9.95 and 9.96 out of 10! It comes down to that totally subjective personal preference.
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/02 07:57:34 (permalink)
I have to share this picture, also. Modern will do shrink-wrapped pizza if you call them 24 hours in advance. My friend Ben came in from South Carolina and rigged up an insulated pouch in his suitcase to take pizza home and freeze them. We ordered 8 Modern pizzas (they'll only do small pies) and picked them up for him to ship home in his suitcase - WAY cheaper than looking at overnight insulated shipping!!

nfmoon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/02 18:05:38 (permalink)
TnTinCT
I am consistently amazed at how much great pizza exists in Connecticut. Tim and I have been going on "pizza quests" for some time now, trying new places all over the state. Ketteract has inspired me with his Connecticut Grinder thread to start a similar thread for Connecticut pizza. I'll have to back track to a few of our favorites to be sure I post them here, but will start with our last weekend "quest" - Grimaldi's of New York fame. They opened a place in Woodbridge, northwest of New Haven - with, as most of you know, some very serious pizza competition!
It sits in a strip mall right off of the Wilbur Cross Parkway (Rt 15), next to Katz's Deli (NOT of NY fame, but still 

Pizza, hot dogs and ice cream seem to be pretty much the only thing they *do* eat in Connecticut. 

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/02 18:14:26 (permalink)
nfmoon
TnTinCT
I am consistently amazed at how much great pizza exists in Connecticut. Tim and I have been going on "pizza quests" for some time now, trying new places all over the state. Ketteract has inspired me with his Connecticut Grinder thread to start a similar thread for Connecticut pizza. I'll have to back track to a few of our favorites to be sure I post them here, but will start with our last weekend "quest" - Grimaldi's of New York fame. They opened a place in Woodbridge, northwest of New Haven - with, as most of you know, some very serious pizza competition!
It sits in a strip mall right off of the Wilbur Cross Parkway (Rt 15), next to Katz's Deli (NOT of NY fame, but still 

Pizza, hot dogs and ice cream seem to be pretty much the only thing they *do* eat in Connecticut. 

You left out clams, lobster, lobster rolls and hamburgers. Oh, and they don't eat pizza. They eat apizza.

TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/02 22:00:45 (permalink)
Well said,Michael! Since this thread is specifically about CT pizza, posted in the "pizza" category, it wouldn't make much sense to post about all the other great food Connecticut has to offer :-)
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1005
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 17:12:02 (permalink)
I finally made it to BAR. Of what I consider the New Haven-area Big Five (Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, Zuppardi's, BAR), this was the last one I hadn't tried!

I don't see nearly as much discussion of BAR as the other establishments, and I'm not really sure why. It's over on Crown Street, just down the street from Louis' Lunch, and it's about as far from Wooster Street as Modern.

BAR's claim to fame is mashed potato pizza, but I'd also seen pictures of their sausage and I was curious to see how it stacked up against Zuppardi's. The choice was obvious. Behold.

You can see that wonderful requisite charring. This was a large. The strip-cut reminded me of the QC-style pizza thread. Here's another angle, to try and drive the size home.

Close-up. To be precise, this is half mashed potato, bacon, and garlic, and half sausage and roasted red peppers.

The mashed potato half was spectacular. The potatoes were smooth, herby, and buttery - excellent on their own, but combined with garlic and bacon, and piled onto a thin flexible crust, they made for a textural party in my mouth and an unforgettable pizza.

The sausage was, impressively, almost as good as Zuppardi's, and, in my opinion, better than Sally's or Pepe's. I have to say that, on pizza, I really prefer the rough bulk-style to sliced, so that may factor in.

Fennelicious.

The whole pie was done with white sauce - it was all-white, all-red, or nothing, and the mashed potato half took priority - but they gave me a side of red for dipping. Look at that oil.

I would unequivocally recommend BAR to any Roadfooders looking for a New Haven pizza fix.  It is absolutely in the same league as the other places. There's a lot of picnic table seating indoors, so it's good for groups.
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/04/20 09:26:11
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8865
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 18:52:22 (permalink)
Now that one looks good!!!!!!
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 20:40:26 (permalink)
The fennelicious side looks great.  Did you eat it with a fork and knife? 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 21:13:50 (permalink)
I'll stay out of BAR. It's a college student drinking joint with a strong police presence.
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 21:48:54 (permalink)
lleechef
The fennelicious side looks great. Did you eat it with a fork and knife?

In retrospect, I should have. With the thicker QC-style strip-cut, you can use one hand to hold the crust and use the other to support the midpoint of the slice, but New Haven crust is so thin that when it's strip-cut, that technique doesn't work. So I struggled a bit, but I was far too involved in the pizza to reconsider things.

Michael Hoffman
I'll stay out of BAR. It's a college student drinking joint with a strong police presence.

All I can say is that, at lunchtime on a Saturday, I didn't get any vibe like that. I think that during the day, this would be a fine place for a gathering of Roadfooders, or anyone. Later in the evening, maybe not so much. Ultimately, the food is what matters to me, and I'd definitely rank BAR with the greats in that department.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8048
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 21:50:31 (permalink)
A mashed potato pizza doesn't initially sound like it'd be all that great but the one from BAR sure looks good!
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/18 21:57:08 (permalink)
The mashed potato was, notably, flavorful enough to stand on its own as a topping.  The bacon and garlic went with it wonderfully, of course, but strictly speaking they weren't necessary.  

It had a nice smooth consistency, too, managing to make its texture speak up while melding well with the rest of the ingredients.  Really very well done.
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/19 15:51:32 (permalink)
I should also mention that BAR's beer selection was, as one would expect at a place with a name like that, good.  Beer 1 of 2 that I had was Berkshire's scotch ale (below).  Excellent example of the style.  Beer 2 was a house-brewed stout, with a smoky, almost meaty flavor.  Bit rich for my tastes.  There was also a sour beer on the board that looked interesting, but I figured three beers was too much that early in the day.

TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/20 09:17:36 (permalink)
@Ketteract - thanks for sharing the pics from Bar. We went several years back, and although I enjoyed the flavors of the mashed potato pie, the crust was very cracker-y and I didn't care for that texturally compared to a Pepe's or Modern. Did you find it to be crispy? I left there thinking it was simply a vehicle to get the flavorful toppings to your  mouth, but not a critical integral part of the pie like other places. I will give Bar credit for opening up my eyes to the beauty of a good mashed potato pie, and I've had a few since then (see upwards in the thread) that I also enjoyed. We also differ on the sausage preference - I like mine crumbled or thinly sliced and not chunky (although I make exceptions for exceptional sausage like Zuppardis).
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/20 09:50:09 (permalink)
Mine was a floppy, flexible crust that only became stiff/crackery toward the charred edges.  It mirrored what I'd had elsewhere.  Maybe they've adjusted things since your last visit, or maybe the sheer size of my pizza (large) had something to do with it.  In any case, I was very satisfied with both the crust's flavor and the pizza's overall construction.  
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/22 12:41:46 (permalink)
We tried a new place today - Sorella, in downtown Hartford on Main Street. There was a list of "the top 50 pizza places in the Hartford area" published by the Hartford Courant a while ago ( http://www.courant.com/hartford-magazine/cover-stories/hc-hm-pizza-july-20140701-story.html#page=1 ) , and we have been using that list as a reference to try some new places. On top of that, there was a Groupon to further entice us to head downtown.

This was number 7 on their list (bear in mind no big New Haven stops on this list). Overall, we really enjoyed the pizza. Thin crust, slightly chewy, from their woodfired oven.

Pizzas are offered in one size only - about 12 inches or a bit smaller. There are choices of pre-built pizzas, or choose your own with red or white base.  Classic pepperoni was very good - a higher quality Italian salami (milder than some pepperoni I've had), and nicely cheesy. Fresh mozzerella was offered at an additional cost, we went with the standard. It was nicely cooked with a bit of char, and nice spotting on the underside of the crust. The sauce was middle of the road - not sweet, not spicy.

We ordered a sausage pizza with mushrooms on half. This was the winner - the sausage is house made, and maybe some of the best I've had. I'd venture to say I prefer it over Zuppardi's. There were small-ish chunks - a personal preference as I don't care for large chunks of sausage - with some heat, and great flavor - fennel seeds were apparent, and this was porky and delicious. I'd actually like to go back and try some of their homemade pasta with the sausage. Tim didn't love the mushrooms - Pepe's still wins in that category.

This is definitely a winner if you are in the downtown area and looking for good pizza. Pies started at $10 with additional toppings $2 each and up depending on what you order, so it's not break the bank, but also can become quite expensive if you like a lot of toppings. The pre-built pies that offer multiple items start at $14 and up.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8865
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/22 13:55:32 (permalink)
Now those are mighty fine looking pizzas!!
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/22 14:47:52 (permalink)
TnTinCT
This was the winner - the sausage is house made, and maybe some of the best I've had. I'd venture to say I prefer it over Zuppardi's. 

Them's fightin' words!  Sausage is my all-time favorite pizza topping, and one of my first tests of any new place (the other tests being mushroom, spinach, and garlic - after establishing that their plain cheese pie is good on its own, of course).  I will have to give this place a try, which shouldn't be too hard seeing as how I live and work in Hartford.
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/22 15:04:08 (permalink)
@Ketteract - I'd love your opinion on the sausage. I REALLY liked it - there was just a great depth of flavor to it and I will have to go back to have it again.
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/26 22:28:23 (permalink)
thefoodguy

Have you tried Camille's In tolland?

@thefoodguy reminded me of Camille's in Tolland - we had been once last year, and decided to take a drive out as we had a great experience the first time.

We started with some salads - they offer full and "half" sizes which I love - here's the half caesar - it was really good - fresh, crisp lettuce, homemade croutons, a good garlicky bite from the dressing.

We also split an order of fried zucchini - the sauce was fresh and vibrant, the zucchini crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside.

Camille's, like so many other places, only offers one sized pie - so we had to get two. Thin crust and wood-fired, they offer a "classic" - with shredded mozzarella cheese, or a "marguerita" with fresh mozzarella and basil.
We tried one of each.
Soppressata "classic" with extra cheese (Camille's pies are not cheesy enough for me with their standard cheese application).

Fresh tomato sauce, and a really nicely charred pie - this was a winner.  A closer look - 

The second pie "marguerita style" had sausage and onions.

A very different experience with the fresh mozzarella (this also had extra cheese), and another excellent choice.

Camille herself was waiting tables, clearing and generally ensuring everyone had what they needed. They seem to take great care with the food based on the sides and the pizza we had, and we'll go back to try some of their other pasta entrees in the future.
Another winner on the Connecticut pizza roster!

post edited by TnTinCT - 2015/04/26 22:29:31
Storm64
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/27 07:45:22 (permalink)
I'm planning a motorcycle vacation to Nova Scotia this June. I am going to route my trip through the New Haven, Connecticut aria. I just have to try some of the Pizza in that part of the country. Thanks for all the great reviews. After pizza it's going to be seafood all the way! All the way to Nova Scotia... :)
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/27 09:24:31 (permalink)
TnTinCT- just great, great research!! I just wish I could be there with you in person!!
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/27 09:40:46 (permalink)
That's definitely some of the most photogenic pizza I've seen yet - looks colorful and vibrant!

The sausage looks good too, though I don't see any fennel. 

How was the crust?  
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/04/27 09:46:57
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/27 11:30:44 (permalink)
Storm64
I'm planning a motorcycle vacation to Nova Scotia this June. I am going to route my trip through the New Haven, Connecticut aria. I just have to try some of the Pizza in that part of the country. Thanks for all the great reviews. After pizza it's going to be seafood all the way! All the way to Nova Scotia... :)

You won't regret a stop in New Haven for apizza!!!  We were in CT last summer, went to Pepe's for clam pie and plain pie and the rest of the week it was all seafood!
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/04/28 07:20:50 (permalink)
@Storm64 - I agree with lleechef - you can't go wrong with New Haven pizza!
@ann peeples - the more, the merrier - we'd love to have company on our pizza quests
@Ketteract - the sausage was good, not great. It was a really good combination, no one item stood out as exemplary, just a really tasty mouthful of flavors. The crust was light with not a lot of pull to it - more like a neopolitan crust; really excellent bread, very thin.
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/05/02 15:29:26 (permalink)
Finally hit Colony Grill in Stamford today!

The drive down I-91 and I-95 was the total opposite of my leisurely jaunt along Route 6 to Providence (and back along Route 101) last weekend.  Down-to-business 80-90 mph traffic the whole way.  There was a section of I-95 that was under heavy construction, with narrowed no-passing lanes and multiple signs declaring a 45-mph limit that might as well have not been there - literally everyone sped through at 70-75.  "Well, guess this is what I'm doing!" I thought, and knuckled down.

I got into Stamford around 11:30, just as Colony Grill was opening.  Ample parking at that hour.

I seated myself at the bar and ordered a beer and pizza (half-stingers, half-sausage, all-oil).  The staff was friendly and conversational, the interior was roomy (dimly lit but with some decent daylight coming in), and everything gave the air of a old, loved local place, which is of course exactly what it is.

The oil was a peppery delight, coating the pizza in the same kind of heat and flavor that was more concentrated in the "stingers" (serrano peppers) themselves.  One thing I hadn't realized: this oil has, apparently, become characteristic of Stamford itself. There are multiple pizzerias in the area that offer such a thing - though I'm sure CG would still be my first choice.

The sausage, on its own, was serviceable - not as distinctive as what I've had elsewhere - but that's what the oil is for. It takes an average topping and helps raise it up.

I passed on a shaker of cheese when it was offered, wanting a purer taste for my first experience, but next time I will take it, as I imagine it would mix wonderfully with the oil.  

The crust is of special note, because, as you can see, it was quite thin... but not floppy, and not cracker-like.  It was firm, requiring no structural support from my other hand, and it had just enough thickness to retain a tiny bit of chew.  Really an interesting crust, and perfect for this pie!

I finished all but two slices, and took the rest to go.

An utterly unique experience, and highly recommended.  Good for individuals or groups; the pizza only comes in one size, 12", and it's thin enough to be easily polished off by one person.
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/05/02 15:54:14
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/05/03 06:48:49 (permalink)
Oh, apparently (as you can see from the box) they've introduced a "salad pizza".  Not my pic:

Literally just crust with salad on top.  I'm not sure what the point is - maybe it's the only way they feel that they can offer salad (since they're known for offering pizza and nothing else?).  Anyway, I'll pass on that, though the salad itself looks okay.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 11
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5