Helpful ReplyHot!So Much Pizza in Connecticut

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 12
Author
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 14:53:51 (permalink)
Ketteract

Anyway, great photos and review, as always! Your last bit about putting Little City in Simsbury ahead of them... those are fightin' words.

I think is where the toppings preference has some bearing; my favorite topping is pepperoni - when it's of a high quality. Little City in Simsbury, although not quite as thin, or quite as charred on the crust, has what I consider one of best examples of pepperoni that I've had - that's why I put them over Sally's. Now - maybe if the bacon, onion, garlic combo at Sally's pans out, I might change my mind. As you say, it's all for science, right?? Here's Little City's pepperoni - spicy, crispy on the edges where it curls up from the heat.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8623
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 16:46:17 (permalink)
That's a nice-looking pizza!  I also like pepperoni and it's a big disappointment when it turns out to be "red salami".

The great thing about pepperoni that cups during baking is the pooled, rendered fat.  When I was young I loved licking it right out of the slices before digging in.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/09/07 16:47:29
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10361
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 16:52:02 (permalink)
Boy, that is a good looking pepperoni pizza!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9524
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 17:10:51 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
That's a nice-looking pizza!  I also like pepperoni and it's a big disappointment when it turns out to be "red salami".

The great thing about pepperoni that cups during baking is the pooled, rendered fat.  When I was young I loved licking it right out of the slices before digging in.

You can have my wife's pepperoni grease. She blots it off with a napkin. You'd be amazed how much fat comes out of quality pepperoni!!!!
...and another thing. I judge a quality pizzeria by how good a plain pie they put out. If they can't make that GREAT,I don't care what they throw on an inferior pie...just my thinking!!!!
post edited by leethebard - 2015/09/07 17:12:59
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8623
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 17:11:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2015/09/07 21:18:17
So are you going to mail me the napkins individually or save them until you have enough to ship in a box?
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 17:13:31 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
So are you going to mail me the napkins individually or save them until you have enough to ship in a box?

....watch for the UPS man!!
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 19:54:34 (permalink)
TnTinCT
Ketteract

Anyway, great photos and review, as always! Your last bit about putting Little City in Simsbury ahead of them... those are fightin' words.

I think is where the toppings preference has some bearing; my favorite topping is pepperoni - when it's of a high quality. Little City in Simsbury, although not quite as thin, or quite as charred on the crust, has what I consider one of best examples of pepperoni that I've had - that's why I put them over Sally's. Now - maybe if the bacon, onion, garlic combo at Sally's pans out, I might change my mind. As you say, it's all for science, right?? Here's Little City's pepperoni - spicy, crispy on the edges where it curls up from the heat.

If you head east and south, you may be able to find a linguica pizza.  With tha5t lovely garlicky Portuguese sausage on it, you'll never go back!
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/07 20:28:24 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic
If you head east and south, you may be able to find a linguica pizza.  With tha5t lovely garlicky Portuguese sausage on it, you'll never go back!

Really? I have yet to find any linguica in this area (I've only seen it in RI) worthy of a second helping, but I may have a primitive palate. Did you have any particular places in mind to check out?   Chris
FriedClamFanatic
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/08 09:25:53 (permalink)
You will have to go South of Boston.  SEMA and RI are the big places.  Paul's in Falmouth does a wonderful pizza ans sometimes linguica sandwiches.  Closed Mon&Tue yr round
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/20 16:47:33 (permalink)
Yesterday we headed to the CT shoreline for the Guilford fair, but saved our eating for post-fair shoreline pizza. We decided to avoid New Haven (shock! I know...) and headed to Clinton, CT to Grande Apizza.  Based on what I read, the original Grand Apizza in Fairhaven was started by Fred Nuzzo - the father of Mike Nuzzo, who runs Grande Apizza in Clinton, but the original Grand Apizza was sold sometime after Fred retired (and after the 50th anniversary of that restaurant), and the sons went on to open Grand Apizzas in other towns. So I guess this is the closest thing to the original Grande from New Haven. They've been in business at this location for 14 years. To complicate things further, Fred Nuzzo is the brother of Nicholas Nuzzo, who opened Modern Apizza in New Haven. Whew! Got all that?

The restaurant is right on Route 1 on the shoreline, and although there is minimal parking out front, there's a huge lot in the back, and we came in the back entrance.

You can tell this is a family affair, and that it's a neighborhood favorite. We arrived early - 415p-ish, and were the first ones in the restaurant for dinner. Shortly after we were seated, at least five other parties came in - she knew them all by name, and in 3 of the cases, they didn't want menus and just ordered. Definitely a local favorite.  We also had a nice conversation with her about where we drove in from, and then Mike came out of the kitchen later to see if we liked our pizza and we had a nice chat with him, also. He also made the rounds to many of the tables and greeted people by name.

We ordered two medium pizzas - the first - since we've been craving the combination since our Sally's visit - bacon, onion, and garlic.

It had a beautiful char, and was just slightly thicker than some of the ultra-thin New Haven greats. The bacon was plentiful and nicely cooked, the onions thinly sliced. The bacon was so plentiful both the onions and garlic took a slight backseat to it in overall flavor - if I have a criticism it was about the haphazard topping allocation - both in quantity and location on the pie. Some slices were absolutely covered with bacon, others had just a tiny piece or two. This is a very good pizza - it has a lot of the "it factor" of the New Haven greats, and just the slight extra thickness of the dough, and how it's put together puts it a step behind. 

We also ordered a sausage pie, with mushrooms on half.

When she brought this pie, she asked if it was cooked enough for us, since it was on the light side. We didn't order any kind of particular cook style, so that comment really shows how much the char is a part of the pizza culture in this part of the state. It was a bit on the light side, but certainly not undercooked, so we kept it as it was. Again - the haphazard toppings; the mushrooms appeared to have been dumped in a big pile over two slices, and the sausage was very unevenly distributed also. The sausage was very good, nice and porky, and the mushrooms were fresh and flavorful.

They have a much larger menu than just pizza - appetizers, pastas, stuffed breads, salads. It's a nice casual family place that has some excellent pizza.  Another winner in the Connecticut pizza scene - would definitely recommend.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22951
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/20 17:21:44 (permalink)
So nice.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/20 19:31:26 (permalink)
It's a piece of beauty!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/20 19:35:43 (permalink)
...Oh my...and that's 7,000 posts....can't believe I yap that much....Seriously, everyone thanks....you're a GREAT group to spend 8 years with....looking forward to many more...and to hit it on a pizza topic. Perfect for me!!!!!!
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/20 19:39:25 (permalink)
leethebard - congratulations - should we now call you sir sirloin?  I hope all my milestone posts are about pizza.

ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/20 19:42:43 (permalink)
Awesome leethebard!
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2916
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/21 02:24:46 (permalink)
TnTinCT, those pies look fantastic!  Much as I love NYC pies, I wish we had some "apizza" places here.
FriedClamFanatic
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/21 14:16:08 (permalink)
leethebard
...Oh my...and that's 7,000 posts....can't believe I yap that much....Seriously, everyone thanks....you're a GREAT group to spend 8 years with....looking forward to many more...and to hit it on a pizza topic. Perfect for me!!!!!!

Way to go! And I thought I was doing good at 2000...keep it up
Ketteract
  • Total Posts : 1072
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/21 16:08:52 (permalink)
That looks excellent!  Strange about the toppings, though.  It seems like the placement of those is one of the easiest things to get right on a pizza...
post edited by Ketteract - 2015/09/21 18:26:49
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5223
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/21 18:59:03 (permalink)
TnTinCT, The crust looks thicker than a traditional New Haven Pie.....not that there's anything wrong with that.
FriedClamFanatic
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/09/21 19:22:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2015/09/21 19:50:45
If they got put down in front of me, I'd be appreciative
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/04 06:49:40 (permalink)
I was in the mood for pizza, and didn't feel like making the trek to New Haven due to the annoying weather, so I hopped over to Plainville to try Vero Pizza, which had been on my list for a while (placed there by whom, I could not remember).

If I had to sum up the pizza I had in one word, it would be: "mild".

Half bacon and onion, half sausage and peppers are, I figure, good chances for an unfamiliar pizzeria to shine. Here, however, nothing in particular stood out - odd for what should be a set of robust flavors.

The crumbled bacon was serviceable but not noticeable, and the thin tangles of red onion, while photogenic, didn't add very much. The sausage was a thinly-shaved variety, with a taste that was almost imperceptible compared to the thick pieces of fresh bell pepper.

The crust had a nice medium thickness, and a good chew, but beyond that, it, like the cheese and sauce, didn't have much to distinguish it. That plus the unimpressive toppings added up to a quiet, forgettable pizza.

Based on some of the other reviews, it seems like I might have had a better experience with one of their specialty pies... but if that's true, then it's not entirely a positive, because equal effort should be made with the regular stuff.

I really wanted to rate Vero higher. The service was certainly friendly, and if the pizza had matched that, I imagine I'd be making a solid recommendation.

Oh, and because I can't not post it, here's the red plastic cup that takes me back to my childhood.

post edited by Ketteract - 2015/10/04 06:51:35
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/04 07:16:44 (permalink)
The crust does look fine...but poor or average toppings will always ruin a good pie, When will they ever learn....quality sauce and cheese are essential...I always judge by a plain pie FIRST...if they can't or won't get that right first...they lose my business.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/04 07:44:14 (permalink)
That is always a shame when a pizza disappoints. I remember when Bob and I ordered a pizza from a place once-looked gorgeous, smelled good, but had absolutely no flavor!
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/04 12:42:43 (permalink)
It looks like a pretty pizza, has some nice char - it's so disappointing when the taste just doesn't equal or exceed the visual presentation.   The sausage looks pretty "meh". Sorry to hear, it's always sad in the land of fabulous pizza to hit one that just doesn't cut it. That red cup always reminds us of "sit-down pizza hut", which was a highlight of our dinners out as kids.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22951
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/04 14:47:48 (permalink)
Why would a pizzeria in Connecticut put bell peppers on an apizza with sausage instead of Italian frying peppers?
FriedClamFanatic
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/05 00:46:19 (permalink)
TnTinCT
It looks like a pretty pizza, has some nice char - it's so disappointing when the taste just doesn't equal or exceed the visual presentation.   The sausage looks pretty "meh". Sorry to hear, it's always sad in the land of fabulous pizza to hit one that just doesn't cut it. That red cup always reminds us of "sit-down pizza hut", which was a highlight of our dinners out as kids.

Yep.....visual does NOT make a pie good. Pizza or dessert.  A great crust is ruined by a pretty "face". A pretty face with a great crust is  a delight..  A great crust without a nice topping is ok

post edited by FriedClamFanatic - 2015/10/05 00:47:32
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/05 09:05:57 (permalink)
They offered both roasted red and fresh green bell peppers, but roasted typically carries a premium and I was feeling cheap that day.  

My biggest topping issue was with the sausage.  I don't really care for shaved sausage, and I think it's an unwise thing to do unless it's very strongly flavored (like pepperoni).  The stuff on this pizza was almost undetectable.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/05 14:51:02 (permalink)
Ketteract
They offered both roasted red and fresh green bell peppers, but roasted typically carries a premium and I was feeling cheap that day.  

My biggest topping issue was with the sausage.  I don't really care for shaved sausage, and I think it's an unwise thing to do unless it's very strongly flavored (like pepperoni).  The stuff on this pizza was almost undetectable.

I agree with Mr.Hoffman. I'd like to see Italian Frying peppers on a pie,not cut up or roasted bell peppers. Italian food needs Italian ingredients.
Ketteract
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/05 15:37:14 (permalink)
leethebard
Ketteract

I agree with Mr.Hoffman. I'd like to see Italian Frying peppers on a pie,not cut up or roasted bell peppers. Italian food needs Italian ingredients.

Do all the New Haven places use these?
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1476
Re: So Much Pizza in Connecticut 2015/10/05 15:56:56 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
Why would a pizzeria in Connecticut put bell peppers on an apizza with sausage instead of Italian frying peppers?

Are those Cubanelle peppers?
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 12
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5