scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2355
2018/11/05 10:52:02 (permalink)

6 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4236
    Re: So You Wanna Be a Chef — by Bourdain 2018/11/05 19:29:47 (permalink)
    This was a great read!  Lisa, what is your take on it?

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9576
    Re: So You Wanna Be a Chef — by Bourdain 2018/11/05 20:02:05 (permalink)
    Enjoyed this. Thanks.

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3041
    Re: So You Wanna Be a Chef — by Bourdain 2018/11/06 09:45:14 (permalink)
    Whats funny about this profession is people go to school thinking knowledge will produce a good living. I mean, no one goes to college thinking they'll be stocking shelves at Walmart after they graduate. Life lessons from people who lived through it are great. If I handed my Son a book of rules to follow for a happy and healthy life does anyone think he would read it and follow it. Everyone has to follow their own path and learn things the hard way. I'm sure more people will read this and say " I'm different, this isn't going to happen to me". Then these same people will make the mistakes Tony talks about. Then they'll say, Tony was closer to being right than being wrong. 
      The one thing he didn't say was that if you do navigate all these pitfalls you'll be rewarded with a very successful feeling. You'll also be rewarded with a high level of feeling of achievement and self-fulfillment. There is nothing else I've done in life that gave me a bigger sense of accomplishment. Being a Chef isn't an easy road to navigate successfully. There are so many obstacles along the way. Looking back at my travels through working in or owning 25 food services. I leave it with a good feeling and happy I took the journey.......pnwchef
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11621
    Re: So You Wanna Be a Chef — by Bourdain 2018/11/06 11:45:49 (permalink)
    Being a chef is a very difficult profession.  If you have a good crew and a sophisticated clientele it is a lot of fun for everyone.  The owner of the restaurant isn't the "boss".  Your clientele is.  It's your job as the chef to cater to what your clientele wants to eat.  In my case it was fish and shellfish.  I hand-picked my fish every morning on Boston's Fish Pier.  For dinner we had a 2 1/2 hour wait for a table.  It was exhausting and brutal at times.  But I wouldn't have changed a thing.  
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: So You Wanna Be a Chef — by Bourdain 2018/11/06 12:13:58 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    Whats funny about this profession is people go to school thinking knowledge will produce a good living. I mean, no one goes to college thinking they'll be stocking shelves at Walmart after they graduate. Life lessons from people who lived through it are great. If I handed my Son a book of rules to follow for a happy and healthy life does anyone think he would read it and follow it. Everyone has to follow their own path and learn things the hard way. I'm sure more people will read this and say " I'm different, this isn't going to happen to me". Then these same people will make the mistakes Tony talks about. Then they'll say, Tony was closer to being right than being wrong. 
      The one thing he didn't say was that if you do navigate all these pitfalls you'll be rewarded with a very successful feeling. You'll also be rewarded with a high level of feeling of achievement and self-fulfillment. There is nothing else I've done in life that gave me a bigger sense of accomplishment. Being a Chef isn't an easy road to navigate successfully. There are so many obstacles along the way. Looking back at my travels through working in or owning 25 food services. I leave it with a good feeling and happy I took the journey.......pnwchef

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: So You Wanna Be a Chef — by Bourdain 2018/11/06 12:14:09 (permalink)
    lleechef
    Being a chef is a very difficult profession.  If you have a good crew and a sophisticated clientele it is a lot of fun for everyone.  The owner of the restaurant isn't the "boss".  Your clientele is.  It's your job as the chef to cater to what your clientele wants to eat.  In my case it was fish and shellfish.  I hand-picked my fish every morning on Boston's Fish Pier.  For dinner we had a 2 1/2 hour wait for a table.  It was exhausting and brutal at times.  But I wouldn't have changed a thing.  

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5