Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns

Author
colossk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2017/03/18 12:00:02 (permalink)

Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns

HI,

I have a food truck that is parked in a permanent location and I want to bring in a soft serve  ice cream machine however I had a few concerns and I was hoping someone could help me.

My concern is that it is  so hot in the truck that the machine wont function properly. I don't care how the heat effects me, just that it operates and can produce ice cream on demand when needed. We have 5 deep fryers in the truck and It gets upwards of 120 degrees in the truck in the summer months when all 5 fryers are running non stop.

Will this be an issue or is there something I need to look for to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re: Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns 2017/03/19 03:54:13 (permalink)
    The first thing to do is check the operating temperature range of the ice cream machine, you could then probably add some extra forced air ventilation around the freezer compressor section perhaps from outside air, but the important issue would be the specified max operating temp.  
    kreativekvs209
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re: Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns 2017/03/19 21:09:29 (permalink)
    maybe it's time to consider an ac unit or another mechanical fan.

colossk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns 2017/03/20 21:10:29 (permalink)
    RodBangkok
    The first thing to do is check the operating temperature range of the ice cream machine, you could then probably add some extra forced air ventilation around the freezer compressor section perhaps from outside air, but the important issue would be the specified max operating temp.  

Thanks, I did not know about this! I looked it up and the maximum ambient temperature is 100 degrees. Some days it hits 120 in the truck. If I were to get an air conditioner and pointed it right at the intake valve of the compressor would that solve the issue?

Would a fan work if pointed right at the unit? I understood that it just moved hot air around, that it didn;t make it any cooler.
    RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 538
    Re: Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns 2017/03/21 00:31:30 (permalink)
    Well first thing I'd look at is determine where the compressor vents in the ice cream freezer housing are located.  Then see if they face an outside wall on your mobile unit, if your lucky you might get by with a fan venting from just outside air blowing directly into the compressor vents on the freezer.  I'd work that angle before buying more refrigeration just to cool your freezer, gets pretty ugly doing that, unless you can get a unit that would fit your rig to cool the freezer area somewhat.  

You should also be looking at how efficient your exhaust system is.  If your running that many fryers you should have a very powerful exhaust system with a balanced makeup air design.  Make up air can be difficult to control in an open environment like a mobile food unit, but by having the proper location for makeup air, you can perhaps better control the temps in your work area.  Google makeup air for exhaust hoods to get more info.
    acain
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Soft serve Ice cream in a food truck Heat concerns 2017/03/24 09:32:45 (permalink)
    Is this a commercial ice cream maker?  MOST commercial kitchens get pretty hot. Then again, those are usually closer to the serving line, serving window though.  Im just thinking that keeping the ambient air temp below 100 all the time in a commercial setting might be difficult. Even with venting fresh air in, what if it's 90 outside?
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5