South Carolina Barbecue

Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1193
2016/07/25 13:47:21 (permalink)

South Carolina Barbecue

I'm returning to North and South Carolima and Savannah in late August, and will be in the Columbia area for a couple of meals. I've been to Maurice's a couple of times, but I'm wondering if there are any opinions on Hudson's in Lexington, Little Pig's in Columbia, or Big Boy's Smokehouse, also in Columbia. I've already got plans to go to Jackie Hite's and Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville.

My tentative itinerary will take me to

Grady's in Dudley
Kelly's in Summerville

D & H in Manning
Shuler's in Latta

Jackie Hite's in Batesburg-Leesville
Lexington No.1 (North Carolina, of course)

Little Richard's in Winston-Salem
Maurice's or Hudson's

Hudson's or Little Pigs
Big Boy's Smokehouse (one of very few that are open until 6 on Sundays)

Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville
A.J.'s Dockside ion Tybee Island

Southern Soul in St. Simon's (unless I don't want to drive that much)
Wiley's in Savannah

B's Cracklin' in Savannah

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

David

12 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1497
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/07/25 15:03:15 (permalink)
    It's been several years, but we had very good barbecue at Bluffton BBQ (in Bluffton, obviously).
    http://www.blufftonbbq.com/#_=_

Open Wednesday-Saturday.
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/07/25 15:41:53 (permalink)
    I have been to B's Cracklin 4 times and have been very happy each time. It looks like you are set for the Tybee/HWY 80 part of Savannah but if you ever get the chance there is a really good family owned family type restaurant in the shopping center directly across from Wylie's. You cant see it from the highway but it is always loaded with locals from Wilmington and Whitemarsh Islands. Papa's Bar-B-Que and Seafood in business since 1972. They cook on a Southern Pride smoker and I have enjoyed the sandwiches as well as burgers and shrimp.
    http://www.papasbar-b-que.com/

Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/07/25 17:51:13 (permalink)
    Big Boy's Smokehouse is "legendary and blows Maurice's out of the water. I thought Shealy's was "just ok" , I've never been to Jackie Hites but suspect its much better (and I look forward to a first time visit next year) however if you do go to Shealy's  on a friday be sure to get the pulley bone fried chicken.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7336
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/07/25 18:30:06 (permalink)
    You have to stop here; I love this guy!

Southern Living loves him, too:

Davidsanders
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/07/25 22:46:54 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    You have to stop here; I love this guy!

Southern Living loves him, too:

Thanks for this. I have been making plans to go to Scott's for awhile, but keep putting it off. I think I'll do this on my first day. I'll have to keep it to "only" one sandwich at Grady's.
    Davidsanders
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/07/25 22:50:05 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Big Boy's Smokehouse is "legendary and blows Maurice's out of the water. I thought Shealy's was "just ok" , I've never been to Jackie Hites but suspect its much better (and I look forward to a first time visit next year) however if you do go to Shealy's  on a friday be sure to get the pulley bone fried chicken.

Thanks. Because Big Boy's Smokehouse is open until 6, I can go to Maurice's or Hudson's for an early lunch, and go to Big Boy's at around 5.
    I still would love to hear about Hudson's and Little Pig's.
    I think Shealy's is going to be on a Monday.
    jbh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/08/04 15:39:07 (permalink)
      Put Jackie Hite's and Shealy's high on your list. They're similar but a bit different; Hite's cooks whole hogs while Shealy's cooks butts and Shealy's mustard sauce is a little more mustardy. Be sure to get there early.

I was underwhelmed by D&H.
    Lurker
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/08/04 16:24:30 (permalink)
    jbh
      Put Jackie Hite's and Shealy's high on your list. They're similar but a bit different; Hite's cooks whole hogs while Shealy's cooks butts and Shealy's mustard sauce is a little more mustardy. Be sure to get there early.

It's my understanding that Hites still uses wood and Shealy's now uses gas, yes? I was just at Shealy's back in February and actually preferred their fried chicken over their bbq.
    Davidsanders
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/08/04 17:38:40 (permalink)
    jbh

I know there have been people who have not liked D&H at all. I've been there I think four times and have loved it each time. I love the fried chicken and the hush puppies. And I've really enjoyed the barbecue as well.
    Davidsanders
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/08/04 17:41:48 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    jbh

It's my understanding that Hites still uses wood and Shealy's now uses gas, yes? I was just at Shealy's back in February and actually preferred their fried chicken over their bbq.

I've also heard that Shealy's now uses gas, and was considering not going there, but there are some extraordinary reviews, and I figured it was worth trying. If I had to make a choice, it would be Hites, but I'm able to go to both, and Shealy's is open on Mondays, but Hite's isn't. I'll be driving through the area at the beginning of my trip on a Friday, and the second half of the trip on Monday.

I'm still hoping someone will give me an opinion on Hudson's, and how it compares to Maurice's.
    Lurker
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/08/04 20:15:14 (permalink)
    Davidsanders
    wanderingjew
    jbh

I've also heard that Shealy's now uses gas, and was considering not going there, but there are some extraordinary reviews, and I figured it was worth trying. If I had to make a choice, it would be Hites, but I'm able to go to both, and Shealy's is open on Mondays, but Hite's isn't. I'll be driving through the area at the beginning of my trip on a Friday, and the second half of the trip on Monday.

I'm still hoping someone will give me an opinion on Hudson's, and how it compares to Maurice's.

Looking forward to hearing your take.
    I couldn't tell you about Hudson's as I've never been there and I haven't been to Maurice's since 2005 .
    Davidsanders
    Re: South Carolina Barbecue 2016/08/16 00:54:10 (permalink)
    I'm so surprised that nobody has responded a about Hudson's. I would have thought that someone on this forum would have been there before. I leave for my trip a week from Wednesday. Can't wait!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5