Helpful ReplySouthern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9297
2015/09/19 14:24:01 (permalink)

Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016)

Heh heh...let's see Wanderingjew plan this far in advance!

Posting the report about my trip to southern Ohio last month got me thinking about next year, so I figure I'll start the thread now and revisit/bump it occasionally over the next 11 months.

First up: Cooper's Restaurant in Carrolton, Kentucky.  It seems to be known for its fried chicken and since I'm planning a stay at General Butler State Park at least one meal from here is a no-brainer, but does anyone have any first-hand experiences to share?

As always, other suggestions are much appreciated.  When I leave GBSP for Lebanon, Ohio I'll have lots of time to skirt Cincinnati to the south and east.  Thanks!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/19 19:48:25 (permalink)
skirt to the south and west and hit some fried SEI style chicken.  Cooper's is good grub, I have never had a bad meal there.  Rabbit Hash may have their ferry up and running by then, so you could float across the river the old fashioned way (on a diesel powered barge) head north through SEI and enter Ohio in college corner.
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/19 20:45:43 (permalink)
I recommend Hinkle's Hamburgers in Bloomington, IN.  I've been there a couple times and love the burgers, which are classic thin, Midwestern patties with fried onions. I don't recommend the pie though. I had a slice of sugar-cream pie the last time I was there and it was not very good. On the bright side, they do make good shakes.

But you probably didn't need that pie advice based on what wrote to me last night.
post edited by phlmaestro - 2015/09/19 21:47:45
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/20 09:34:10 (permalink)
phlmaestro
But you probably didn't need that pie advice based on what wrote to me last night.

Back in 2013 I stayed at Clifty Falls S.P. in Madison, Indiana, and there's a Hinkle's there, but I seem to recall some discussion about it being separate from the Bloomington Hinkle's.  Unfortunately I got TTM'd at the Madison Hinkle's and since US-421 crosses the river at Madison I was going to give it another shot next year.  I'll keep Bloomington under consideration if I can work out a travel plan that allows me enough time to stop without delaying my arrival in Carrollton too much (I-74 and US-231 look promising, and then I can take either IN-46 or US-50 east).

CK, the problem with backtracking into Indiana is that it means I have to then work my way across the Dayton-Cincinnati corridor to get where I'm going, although that part of Indiana has almost always been just drive-through country for me and there's a lot of it that I haven't seen in detail.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/20 09:54:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gregsgoatfarm 2016/04/26 22:08:04
I hope Mayor Al pipes in for you as he lives in southern Indiana/Louisville area. I know Huber Family Farm is in southern Indiana and has fantastic fried chicken. I am not sure how far off your route it is, but sure worth a stop if you can manage it. And if you have a hankering, they have Big Boy's down that way....
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/21 06:08:31 (permalink)
Thanks, Ann.  I looked it up and it's a little out of the way but not too far, so I'll add it to the list.  As usual, I suspect I'll wind up with too many prospects and too little time, but that's part of what makes planning a trip fun.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/21 07:09:45 (permalink)
 It has been at least 10 years since we last enjoyed dinner at Gen. Butler S P.
 Kentucky State Parks seem to be one level above most other Parks for the quality of the food. While we like Clifty Falls in Madison, Gen Butler was much "Better", at least it was a decade back.
   If you come down to Huber's (well worth the hour-plus ride each way from GBSP), please let us know in advance. I like nothing better than a lunch or dinner with RF friends at a good Chicken House !!

BTW The new bridge over the Ohio R at Madison is completed and is a major improvement over the previous span.
   Progress report on the TWO new Bridges in Louisville...
    1, the doubling of the I-65 bridge, The second span is ahead of schedule and should be open by the end of this year.
    2. The "East End Bridge" that will allow traffic from the NE and other places to avoid L-ville downtown by FINALLY linking IN and KY, I-265 as the Outer Perimeter highway. When it opens we will no longer have to dodge the trucks in the downtown freeway traffic to get to Costco !!! 
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11916
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/21 11:24:50 (permalink)
SC
Now pay attention.  You listen to what mayor al just told you.  Get your butt to Huber's and contact Al.  We had lunch there last August with Al and Janet and it was wonderful!   
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/21 13:24:32 (permalink)
lleechef
SC
Now pay attention.  You listen to what mayor al just told you.  Get your butt to Huber's and contact Al.  We had lunch there last August with Al and Janet and it was wonderful!   

And ME TOO
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/22 11:48:33 (permalink)
Peer pressure can be a terrible thing...

I'll do my best to work Huber's into the plans.  Looking at the map, if I made it a 3-day trip to get from WI to OH (Mrs. C can pick up some extra Kohls shifts to pay for it) I could stay at Spring Mill S.P. and then hit Huber's for lunch the next day.  Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2015/09/22 13:00:02 (permalink)
Peer pressure for sure-when we ate at Hubers with Al and Janet, Bob loved the chicken. And he does not like fried chicken as a rule.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/11 18:46:07 (permalink)
I gave this trip some thought over the weekend and it's starting to take shape:

Hen House, Mahomet IL
Joe's Pizza, Paris IL
Dog n Suds, Robinson IL
The New White Steamer, Washington IN
Mason's Root Beer Drive In, Washington IN (thanks to Phlmaestro for this and New White Steamer)
Joe Huber's, Starlight IN
Hinkle's Sandwich Shop, Madison IN
Down On Main Street, Carrollton KY
Welch's Riverside Restaurant, Carrollton KY
Cooper's Restaurant, Carrollton KY
Two Rivers, Carrollton KY (General Butler State Park)
General Denver Hotel, Wilmington OH

Obviously this is a pretty ambitious list and I'm simply not going to be able to hit all of them, although Joe's, NWS, Huber's, Hinkle's, and Cooper's are the ones I really don't want to miss.  And General Denver is the only post-GBSP stop so I'm interested in suggestions for the areas south and east of Cincinnati as well as the small towns along the river (either side) east of Carrollton.

I'm also currently planning on bringing my golf clubs and staying 2 nights at GBSP, so the Hinkle's visit could easily be accomplished during the day between my arrival and departure instead of trying to fit it in on day 1.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/01/12 11:41:51
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/12 10:23:49 (permalink)
Only one stop in Ohio?  Shame on you. 
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/12 11:06:27 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
I gave this trip some thought over the weekend and it's starting to take shape:

Hen House, Mahomet IL
Joe's Pizza, Paris IL
Dog n Suds, Robinson IL
The New White Steamer, Washington IN
Mason's Root Beer Drive In, Washington IN (thanks to Phlmaestro for this and New White Steamer)
Joe Huber's, Starlight IN*
Hinkle's Sandwich Shop, Madison IN
Down On Main Street, Carrollton KY
Welch's Riverside Restaurant, Carrollton KY
Cooper's Restaurant, Carrollton KY
Two Rivers, Carrollton KY (General Butler State Park)
General Denver Hotel, Wilmington OH

Obviously this is a pretty ambitious list and I'm simply not going to be able to hit all of them, although Joe's, NWS, Huber's, Hinkle's, and Cooper's are the ones I really don't want to miss.  And General Denver is the only post-GBSP stop so I'm interested in suggestions for the areas south and east of Cincinnati as well as the small towns along the river (either side) east of Carrollton.

I'm also currently planning on bringing my golf clubs and staying 2 nights at GBSP, so the Hinkle's visit could easily be accomplished during the day between my arrival and departure instead of trying to fit it in on day 1.

You are correct, I have two trips ahead of this one and have not even begun to consider my schedule. Perhaps if timing is right we can meet at Joe Huber's
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/12 11:41:15 (permalink)
WJ, as it looks right now the Joe Huber's stop will be the afternoon of Tuesday, August 23.  And it just so happens my route away from Huber's will take me right past The Chicken House outside of Sellersburg.

lleechef
Only one stop in Ohio?  Shame on you. 

I should easily have time for multiple stops in Ohio on Thursday, August 25 as I'll be leaving Kentucky that morning and probably won't have to be in Lebanon until later in the afternoon.  This should make it possible to check out a few places to the southeast, east, and northeast of Cincinnati since I want to avoid the city completely and stick to the county roads and smaller towns.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/01/12 11:43:09
Uncle Groucho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 546
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/12 11:53:12 (permalink)
I love the Chicken House , I live down the road. If you go there , don't be in a hurry , they wont be. Hubers is great , the restaurant is separate from the orchards and wine and spirits , make sure to visit both.
Karl
Lurker
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 08:08:25 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
WJ, as it looks right now the Joe Huber's stop will be the afternoon of Tuesday, August 23.  And it just so happens my route away from Huber's will take me right past The Chicken House outside of Sellersburg.

My initial thoughts are that  I'll be in Indianapolis first but I'm willing to make an exception and drive down to Huber's for a meal there. Keep me posted on your plans.
Lurker
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 08:20:55 (permalink)
Austin_Marshall
 Their fried chicken is excellent. Loved the fetters with apple butter first. I wish they would update the menu and the restaurant interior.  Outdated, looking old.

Without cowardly hiding behind a spam flag, please someone tell me how this isn't spam?
Cut and pasted right out of google

https://plus.google.com/103957611376134102573/about
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 10:26:55 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Austin_Marshall
 Their fried chicken is excellent. Loved the fetters with apple butter first. I wish they would update the menu and the restaurant interior.  Outdated, looking old.

Without cowardly hiding behind a spam flag, please someone tell me how this isn't spam?

MH has been flagging this poster as spam all along.  But guess what?  He's at the WAFFLE HOUSE!!!  So I did the dirty work. 
Lurker
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 10:34:06 (permalink)
lleechef
wanderingjew
Austin_Marshall

MH has been flagging this poster as spam all along.  But guess what?  He's at the WAFFLE HOUSE!!!  So I did the dirty work. 

Everyone else thinks I sent the spam flag on this person. 

And then of course the banned  CCJPO signed on with a new membership and sent spam flags on my posts for my best of 2016 thread.
phlmaestro
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 12:57:52 (permalink)
Great looking trip. I wish I was back in that part of the country!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 13:27:51 (permalink)
Well, it's not like you don't have 7-1/2 months to plan a return visit...

wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken
My initial thoughts are that I'll be in Indianapolis first but I'm willing to make an exception and drive down to Huber's for a meal there. Keep me posted on your plans.

Will do!  It's still possible I might ditch the extra day and drive out on Wednesday but outside of a complete cancellation that would be about the only change (unless, of course, my job gets in the way).
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/01/13 13:51:54
Lurker
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 13:59:27 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken
My initial thoughts are that I'll be in Indianapolis first but I'm willing to make an exception and drive down to Huber's for a meal there. Keep me posted on your plans.

Will do!  It's still possible I might ditch the extra day and drive out on Wednesday but outside of a complete cancellation that would be about the only change (unless, of course, my job gets in the way).

Just off the cuff,  I was trying to figure out the logistics of the trip since this will likely be a straight road trip. I'm thinking I'll leave from Sandra's house in Eastern CT early Saturday evening August 20th, try to drive as far west into PA as I possibly can and then make it into Central Indiana sometime on Sunday and then head to Kentucky around Thursday the 25th and then begin the drive home after dinner on Sunday the 28th, make it into Western PA and then get home late Monday evening the 29th.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 14:43:10 (permalink)
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

Just off the cuff,  I was trying to figure out the logistics of the trip since this will likely be a straight road trip. I'm thinking I'll leave from Sandra's house in Eastern CT early Saturday evening August 20th, try to drive as far west into PA as I possibly can and then make it into Central Indiana sometime on Sunday and then head to Kentucky around Thursday the 25th and then begin the drive home after dinner on Sunday the 28th, make it into Western PA and then get home late Monday evening the 29th.

To be clear, is this for 2019 0r 2020?
Lurker
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 14:49:25 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

wanderingjew
ScreamingChicken

To be clear, is this for 2019 0r 2020?

I'm only up to 2018 as far as planning is concerned and the only thing I have planned that year is a 2 week trip cross country (to New Mexico)
Uncle Groucho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 546
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 16:57:49 (permalink)
If you are going to be in the area of the Chicken House over night , Sports Time Pizza and Richo's public house are less than 5 miles away on the same road, the best local pizza and micro brew in the area. Let me know and I will take a Vacation Day and meet you for a meal or at least have a beer with you. Sports Time pizza is Mayor Al approved.
Karl
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 18:38:43 (permalink)
I appreciate the offer but as of right now I'm planning 2 nights at General Butler.  But since you live near The Chicken House and it'll likely be later in the day when I reach that part of Indiana (I lose an hour going from CDT to EDT) we might still be able to meet for dinner.  If that happens I'll probably have some Huber's leftovers that you can take home!

Just watch...after all this planning some big ol' monkey wrench is going to fall into the works and make it all for naught!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/01/14 08:45:24
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/01/13 19:33:40 (permalink)
I'm already confused. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/02/05 17:07:00 (permalink)
I think Wedron Office has just been nominated as a meal break during my return trip!

http://www.roadfood.com/R...iew/8202/wedron-office
phlmaestro
Re: Southern IN & OH, northern KY (Aug. 2016) 2016/02/05 17:32:28 (permalink)
Just a reminder RE: The New White Steamer: I think I mentioned when I posted that trip report that my first bite of the burger was disappointing because they either under-season it or just don't put any salt and pepper on it at all. Sprinkling a little of both on there made a big difference when it was time for the second bite.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5