Southern Living top BBQ 2018

Author
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5659
2018/09/11 09:57:41 (permalink)

Southern Living top BBQ 2018

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/bbq-restaurants?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-button-sharing
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2018/09/11 09:59:21

24 Replies Related Threads

chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 817
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/11 13:35:17 (permalink)
    Love Roberts list. Been to 18 so far. Gotta get busy.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7072
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/11 17:11:59 (permalink)
    For us lazy 'just click the blue thing' folk:  Southern Living's Top BBQ for 2018

Interesting reading with a wonderful conclusion.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/11 17:23:40 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    For us lazy 'just click the blue thing' folk:  Southern Living's Top BBQ for 2018

Interesting reading with a wonderful conclusion.

Thanks, Big Jim! For reasons unknown to me and only on this site,
    links I post from my phone don’t
    hot link round these parts.
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2360
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/11 20:21:09 (permalink)
    Southern Living keeps confusing Texas with "The South". They are not one and the same. An argument could be made that Beaumont is part of "The South" but as you head west from the Golden Triangle all traces of "The South" disappear.

This is a mistake that the publication has made for several years, and being headquartered in Birmingham, they should certainly know better.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/11 20:32:00 (permalink)
    Missouri too.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9587
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/11 20:50:13 (permalink)
    Ok...now I'm hungry!!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/12 10:02:53 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    Southern Living keeps confusing Texas with "The South".
    They are not one and the same. 

Words as true have rarely been spoken.

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/12 10:27:51 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    scrumptiouschef
    Southern Living keeps confusing Texas with "The South".
    They are not one and the same. 

Words as true have rarely been spoken.

What or where do you 2 consider Texas?
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 09:29:44 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    What or where do you 2 consider Texas?

By climate, geography, topology, culture, and demographics Texas has far more in common with New Mexico and Arizona than it does with, say, Alabama or Georgia.  So, if I had to "put" Texas into a geographic region it would be "Southwestern".

That said, the truth is that Texas is sui generis.  It is the size of France, has a higher GDP than Russia and Saudi Arabia combined, and produces more oil than Iran and Iraq combined.  And, Texas builds F-35's and Escalades that use fuels that it refines as well as produces.  

In sum, Texas is, well, Texas - without "region" as it is a region of its own.

BTW: the Republic of Texas is the only state to enter the Union by Treaty (rather than by petition).  In that Treaty Texas reserved the right to divide itself into as many as five states. 

I do not think there is any present inclination to do so, but that is the reason why the Flag of Texas flies independently and at the same height as the Stars and Stripes.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/09/13 10:19:53
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 09:47:45 (permalink)
    Looking at the list, I think Southern Living's definition of "The South" is more historical than geographical. No one, anywhere would consider Missouri a Southern state in 2018. But in 1862 it fit nicely in a confederacy of Southern States.

The only exception on the list is one restaurant in Kansas (Free State!) that must have slipped by the editors (KC is KC, right?).
    post edited by JRPfeff - 2018/09/13 10:03:36
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2360
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 10:56:16 (permalink)
    "In sum, Texas is, well, Texas - without "region" as it is a region of its own."

That's roughly what I would say when folks asked why sweet tea is not the default drink you get when you sit down to eat in a cafe in the great state. Texas is just Texas. Of course magazines need readers and if you can lump Texas in with Bama and Georgia in your editorial you'll be privy to way more eyes looking at your articles.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 11:04:07 (permalink)
    Say the Pennsylvania and Kentucky natives! :)
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 13:12:59 (permalink)
    1bbqboy
    Say the Pennsylvania and Kentucky natives! :)

Indeed, I spent my first 21 years in Western Pennsylvania, then: 10 in the "real" Virginia, 26 in the "faux" Virginia (North Arlington & McLean), and 13 (and counting) in  "faux" Texas.

At the Staunton, VA stop along that road a dear friend and colleague introduced me to Eastern Carolina minced whole hog barbecue and vinegar/pepper sauce.  With all respect due Paris, Buenos Aires, and NYC it would be my "last meal".  

It is "the original", IMHO the Holy Grail of protean cuisine.  It is one of Our Lord's Grand Jests that, pictured, it looks rather grey and dull.

I have found nothing resembling it in Texas.

Texas is NOT "the South".  Q.E.D.
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 849
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 13:34:51 (permalink)
    I made it to the Austin area two years ago and Kansas City and North Carolina last year. Memphis and Hot Springs are looking fairly likely for next year.

I knew without trying it that Eastern North Carolina-style barbecue would not be for me. I'm not nuts about vinegar. I went to Lexington BBQ to try Western NC style and enjoyed it.  But I still prefer both Texas and Kansas City barbecue. I like having the beef option and again, the lesser emphasis on vinegar.

I would rate Louie Mueller as the best barbecue place I've been to. In fact, the beef short rib I had there was probably the single greatest piece of meat I've ever eaten.  I was also extremely impressed with the ribs and beans at Arthur Bryant's.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/09/13 14:15:08
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 15:35:46 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    I made it to the Austin area two years ago and Kansas City and North Carolina last year. Memphis and Hot Springs are looking fairly likely for next year.

I knew without trying it that Eastern North Carolina-style barbecue would not be for me. I'm not nuts about vinegar. I went to Lexington BBQ to try Western NC style and enjoyed it.  But I still prefer both Texas and Kansas City barbecue. I like having the beef option and again, the lesser emphasis on vinegar.

I would rate Louie Mueller as the best barbecue place I've been to. In fact, the beef short rib I had there was probably the single greatest piece of meat I've ever eaten.  I was also extremely impressed with the ribs and beans at Arthur Bryant's.

1)  Generally speaking, I don't "like" vinegar either.

2)  We once travelled a 200 mile round trip detour and an overnight to sample Lexington #1's Western Carolina 'cue.  Spoiled by Eastern Carolina I was terribly disappointed, wishing that I had a bottle of Scott's handy rather than their tepid "dip".

3)  Yes, K.C. burnt ends, Memphis ribs, and Texas brisket are wonderful; nothing wrong with any of them (or their sauces).  All are completely satisfying. 

But, we all have "the one"

For me, a certain (then) young lady aside, it's Eastern Carolina minced whole hog with vinegar/pepper sauce.  Put the slaw on the side.

Here is some kind advice:

Go here and risk $1.98 for a bottle of Scott's.  Wal-Mart will make it appear at your nearest store. 

Well-shaken bottle in hand, get some un-sauced pulled pork BBQ and apply.

Consume and thank me. 
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 849
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 15:49:04 (permalink)
    I'll probably get back down to NC in the next few years with my wife (last year's trip was to see the Eagles play at the Panthers with my friend). I'm not committing, but I won't rule out stopping by Allen Brothers or some other major eastern-style bbq place. I thought about it when I was in Chapel Hill last year, but I wound up going to the pharmacy/restaurant that they have in town that night for a burger and shake and skipping the barbecue.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 16:24:09 (permalink)
    The point y'all are missing in this discussion of vinegar based BBQ Sauce is that it is (or should be) merely a compliment to the meat.  You can't properly judge any sauce by its stand alone taste.  It needs to be tried with a meat component to balance off the flavor.  Only then can you reasonably say whether or not you like it.  Just as a sweeter tomato based sauce shouldn't turn good 'Que into meat candy, likewise a vinegar based sauce shouldn't become an eye wincing, mouth puckering experience.

Also at play here is the amount of sauce you add to the sandwich.  A few drops will barely make a dent in the rich flavors of properly smoked pork.  OTOH, too much and you'll overwhelm even the heaviest smoke flavor to the point of ruination.

Our Roadhouse Southern Sunset Bar-B-Que Sauce is, IMO, an outstanding balance of all the Southern BBQ Sauce styles.  We started with a vinegar base, added in a little tomato to smooth things out, squirted in a bit of mustard to pay tribute to South Carolina 'Que, then built up the flavor with the indigenous ingredients of The South.  Florida citrus, Georgia peach and onion, Louisiana peppers, along with molasses and apricots make it an excellent accompaniment to any smoked meats.

Not as inexpensive as Scott's but worth a try.

Buddy

P.S. I didn't start out this reply with the intent of plugging my own product, but the deeper I go into it, I suddenly realized, "Hey, I've got a BBQ Sauce that might be a perfect illustration of the point I'm trying to make."  So, there ya go.

B.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 17:09:57 (permalink)
    "... And if you act now, I'll throw in a fullsize bottle of Roadhouse Original at no extra charge. Just pay the additional postage & handling."

Where did you go wrong Buddy? It should be you, not that My Pillow Guy, we see constantly on cable news programs.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 18:03:08 (permalink)
    It's the mustache.  His, not mine.  My mistake was in growing a full beard attached to it.  But there it is, too late now so whaddaya gonna do?

Buddy
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 18:05:14 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    I'll probably get back down to NC in the next few years with my wife (last year's trip was to see the Eagles play at the Panthers with my friend). I'm not committing, but I won't rule out stopping by Allen Brothers or some other major eastern-style bbq place. I thought about it when I was in Chapel Hill last year, but I wound up going to the pharmacy/restaurant that they have in town that night for a burger and shake and skipping the barbecue.

On reflection, my "raves" may be doing you a disservice.

Perhaps the greatest part of joy is discovery.

Godspeed. 

Enjoy.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/13 18:45:58 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    The point y'all are missing in this discussion of vinegar based BBQ Sauce is that it is (or should be) merely a compliment to the meat.  You can't properly judge any sauce by its stand alone taste.  It needs to be tried with a meat component to balance off the flavor.  Only then can you reasonably say whether or not you like it.  Just as a sweeter tomato based sauce shouldn't turn good 'Que into meat candy, likewise a vinegar based sauce shouldn't become an eye wincing, mouth puckering experience.

Also at play here is the amount of sauce you add to the sandwich.  A few drops will barely make a dent in the rich flavors of properly smoked pork.  OTOH, too much and you'll overwhelm even the heaviest smoke flavor to the point of ruination.

Indeed, sauces are a complement - and just that.

Were I forced to be without either Lea & Perrins Worcestershire or Scott's I would not know whether to defecate or go sightless.

One evening I had ordered a filet in the formal dining room of my club.  To accompany it I had requested Worcestershire.  It was served in a small dish.  I signaled Bob, our Maitre d', and asked him for the bottle.  He informed me that the "dish" was a ramekin and that it, like all vessels on the table, would be replenished constantly, hopefully absent notice by me.  Damn, I appreciated that guy.

Yes, sauces are a complement. 
    And I love them so.

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/14 09:17:45 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse 

Our Roadhouse Southern Sunset Bar-B-Que Sauce is, IMO, an outstanding balance of all the Southern BBQ Sauce styles.  We started with a vinegar base, added in a little tomato to smooth things out, squirted in a bit of mustard to pay tribute to South Carolina 'Que, then built up the flavor with the indigenous ingredients of The South.  Florida citrus, Georgia peach and onion, Louisiana peppers, along with molasses and apricots make it an excellent accompaniment to any smoked meats.

Not as inexpensive as Scott's but worth a try.

Buddy

1)  Your "Southern Sunrise" sounds delicious, very much like the "Carolina" at my favorite Dallas BBQ, Slow Bone (thank you, Twinwillow!).

2)  As far as pricing goes, I simply do not understand (but certainly appreciate) Wal-Mart's willingness and ability to provide a 16 oz. bottle of Scott's for $1.98 to me here in McKinney, TX.  This July I cheerfully paid Harris-Teeter $3.98 for the same item which I bought at their store in Herndon, VA. 

And, my Wal-Mart purchase had no shipping cost, I simply picked it up at a location I visit several times a week.

EDIT:  On my visit to the Harris-Teeter I was in a hurry and had a singular purpose:  to find Scott's.  So, I asked the service counter if they carried it.  The wonderful young lady kindly led me to its location on a bottom shelf.  In appreciation, I bought her a bottle, gave her Mrs. Metro's chicken/pepper jack/asparagus recipe, and a twenty.  I checked back before we left NoVa and, sure enough, she is now another enthusiastic Scott's fan. 

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2018/09/14 09:32:36
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/14 09:29:34 (permalink)
    But no Roadhouse at Wally*World!
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    Re: Southern Living top BBQ 2018 2018/09/14 10:23:51 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

But, we all have "the one"

For me, a certain (then) young lady aside, it's Eastern Carolina minced whole hog with vinegar/pepper sauce.  Put the slaw on the side.

Here is some kind advice:

Go here and risk $1.98 for a bottle of Scott's.  Wal-Mart will make it appear at your nearest store. 

Well-shaken bottle in hand, get some un-sauced pulled pork BBQ and apply.

Consume and thank me. 

Jim, we must be genetically related somehow!  "Put the slaw on the side" my sentiments exactly. I grew up in Newport News VA (close to the N.Carolina border) and my mom was from NC, so Eastern NC BBQ is my favorite!

Regarding Scott's Sauce, I do the same trick as you, stopping by a local chain BBQ place on the way home and picking up a lb. of unsauced pulled pork, adding the Scott's and BINGO!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5