Southern MD: The Roost

Author
mcornett
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2004/08/09 08:48:40 (permalink)

Southern MD: The Roost

After doing some fossil hunting at Calvert Cliffs, I needed lunch and after perusing the list of places I got from the Restaurant Reviews section, I headed to The Roost in Lexington Park, wanting to try the Old Ham sandwich which was featured there.

Turns out they don't do old ham anymore! I was told their distributor doesn't carry it now.

I ended up with a club sandwich, which was standard and unremarkable. I walked out disappointed

Next time I'll stick to barbeque or crabcakes.

4 Replies Related Threads

rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Southern MD: The Roost 2004/08/10 09:50:50 (permalink)
    In that part of Maryland, being as close as it is to the Chesapeake Bay, I would definitely stick with seafood when eating out. Next time you're in the area, try Stoney's in Broomes Island. Here is their website. http://www.stoneysseafoodhouse.com/pages/2/ Haven't tried their other locations, but the one on Broomes Island is great, with very good crabcakes, steamed hardshell crabs and other seafood. Their steamed oysters topped with crab imperial and their stuffed mushrooms are delicious appetizers.
    mcornett
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Southern MD: The Roost 2004/08/10 10:46:39 (permalink)
    But dangit, I was in the mood for ham!

But yeah, I'll probably have stick to seafood. I'm just kind of seafooded out, I've been eating at Crisfield in Silver Spring a lot in the last month (one night I just felt like going, and few days later a friend wanted to go, etc etc etc, like I'm complaining), and was in the mood for something different. Although a crabcake does sound good at the moment....(looking out my office window at Crisfield, only a few blocks away...)
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5527
    RE: Southern MD: The Roost 2004/08/10 13:08:03 (permalink)
    Mr Stern edited the content of the review of the Roost to denote the fact that the old ham was off the menu
    Joe_2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Southern MD: The Roost 2004/08/19 19:58:36 (permalink)
    The chef who actually started Stoney's on Broome Island and received the original rave review from Phyllis Richman in the Post in the late'90's has moved to a place called Tony's River House in Benedict. I have not been there. However, a recent trip to Stoney's was mildly disappointing. There are two other Stoney's locations, in Lexington Park and Solomons-neither was ever on par with the original Broome Island location. The recent visit was particularly disappointing since my wife and I have annually made the 180 mile round trip drive from where we live in Reston, VA to Stoney's. At this point I think we have been to virtually every decent seafood restaurant in Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert County along with far to many east of the Bay Bridge. Stoney's is no longer one of the ones we will deadhead too. I put a post on another board for what I think is currently Maryland's best for Maryland style seafood and crabs as well as crab cakes.

Crisfield's: I grew up with Crisfield's when it was a cheap alternative fifty years ago to going downtown to O'Donnell's on Pennsylvania Avenue or to Bethesda and either O'Donnell's or Bish Thompson's. (1950's) At some point Julia Child and Calvin Trilling both discovered Crisfield's and then Phyllis in the Post and later others began to rave about it. Overnight their prices went through the roof! Then, as now, it has superb crab stuffed flounder, Chincoteaque oysters, Norfolk style, fried chicken (yes, authentic chicken fried in Crisco in a blackened skillet) and very good breaded fried seafood. Good clam chowder, too. But for crab cakes, crab imperial and a host of other dishes Crisfield is very poor. Still, there is tradition and a hint of former greatness. It also looks and feels the same as it did in 1959. On our last visit several years ago it still had the same WINX clock in the raw bar room. I doubt that anyone going to Crisfield today knows the name of a single disc jockey from WINX when the sign was first put up! (Hint: Barry Richards)

Crisfield's namesake, Crisfield, MD has a singularly great seafood restaurant, The Cove. It is actually worth a lengthy drive to visit. Perhaps not the 160 miles from Sivler Spring but certainly if someone is on the Eastern Shore a stop at. It is also far superior to the more nationally famous Captain's Galley. If you go to the Cove have their crab cakes and their crab imperial. At $19.95 their lump Maryland crab cakes may, just may, be the absolute best anywhere on earth. My wife thinks so. I rank them second to the Narrows in Kent Island.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5