Helpful ReplyHot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..3132 > Showing page 31 of 32
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7968
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/13 11:04:24 (permalink)
Thanks for the info about the General Denver Hotel.  My annual visit to Lebanon almost always includes a "what should we do for lunch?" situation on Friday so maybe I'll bop on over there this year.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3236
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/13 15:32:02 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Thanks for the info about the General Denver Hotel.  My annual visit to Lebanon almost always includes a "what should we do for lunch?" situation on Friday so maybe I'll bop on over there this year.

It is in Wilmington.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/13 15:56:07 (permalink)
Which shouldn't be an issue unless people residing in or visiting Lebanon are somehow banned from Wilmington...
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 326
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/13 15:59:29 (permalink)
Another Lebanon possibility is Taste of India, in the space on Silver Street formerly occupied by Mighty Casey's, a short lived gastropub, Silver Street BBQ, and a Mediterranean place. It's fairly decent.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/14 09:01:45 (permalink)
Thanks, Don.  However, my trip isn't until August and given the track record of that particular building hopefully Taste of India will still be around...
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/14 09:23:41 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Which shouldn't be an issue unless people residing in or visiting Lebanon are somehow banned from Wilmington...

It is worth the half hour drive - another place you might consider is http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/123/891404/restaurant/Dayton/The-Mediterranean-Restaurant-and-Cafe-Wilmington

Love their muffalettas...
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/04/18 13:37:18 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Thanks, Don.  However, my trip isn't until August and given the track record of that particular building hopefully Taste of India will still be around...

I know. So far it's lasted a bit over a year and reviews are still positive.

Another possibility is the Capricorn Inn next to Cowan Lake. A friend has gone there recently and reports that it's excellent. Also, there's Country Kitchen @123 & 350 which was used as a set for a Hallmark channel Christmas movie a couple of years ago.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/05/17 00:56:48 (permalink)
An opinion, and a question -

We ate at Joe's Pizza tonight. The carryout box says "#1" but I know of no Joe's location other than the primary one at the corner of Airway Rd. and Smithville Rd. Surprisingly decent. It's a "food service crust" style pizza cut into large squares, and baked on an extremely thick piece of aluminum foil. The sauce is strong, tomatoey and not sweet. Pepperonis were very thinly sliced and cupped from the oven heat, which brings out a certain flavor reminiscent of 1960s pizzaria pies. It's a hearty pizza, not foldable in any way and not anything in texture or flavor like local favorites Cassano's/Marion's/Ron's. The pizza had an edge/handle like a NY pie but it seemed to be on a food service (Sysco) style crust. And they have anchovies if you want 'em!!! 

The bottom line on Joe's is that it's exactly what every pizza aficionado here will scorn - the pizza's appeal is mostly in the toppings, but the core crust is quite ordinary. We still liked the pie.

And now the question: Sweeney's in Centerville - do you recommend it now? And why? Sweeney's was our very favorite seafood house up until the ownership changed. The restaurant's tacky New England charm was gutted and replaced with a hipster-friendly, Restaurant Impossible style interior treatment with a very simplified decor, lots of plain painted surfaces instead of nautical gear, etc. They apparently got rid of sides we really liked such as the seasoned spinach (made from frozen spinach - when I requested it the last time we went they acted like it was really declasse' but made it for me anyway but did a really poor job of it, seemingly to prove the point that I shouldn't want the old dish) - and the dirty rice. Little touches like the variety of hot sauces they had available for guests were removed. I know that the old Sweeney's was probably overdue for a makeover, but I felt strongly when we tried the rebooted place after the new owners took over that it had lost its soul and piquancy. Also,  prices were commensurately boosted.

So, what's Sweeny's like now? How's it compare to, say, Bonefish Grill down the road?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/05/17 12:26:41 (permalink)
donw9876
The bottom line on Joe's is that it's exactly what every pizza aficionado here will scorn - the pizza's appeal is mostly in the toppings, but the core crust is quite ordinary. We still liked the pie.

Since Joe's has been in business since 1959 you're apparently not alone!
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/06/28 10:42:06 (permalink)
Patriot Steakhouse in Lebanon has closed. The space shows a FOR LEASE sign in the window. Nothing in the news about it, but there's an announcement on their website:

http://www.patriotsteakhouse.com/

We appreciate the support we have received and we are very thankful for those in the crowd who visit us multiple times each week and month. Unfortunately, we have reached a point where it has become impossible to continue under our current circumstances. We did all that we could think of to avoid this decision but there comes a time when certain decisions are unavoidable.
While it’s safe to say that our sales have consistently improved, they have not been sufficient to overcome the hurdles we’ve tried to clear. We are thankful for the recognition we received along the way. When you serve food it is always a joy to be named ‘Best of’ anything. Receiving acknowledgment in Warren County as well as Cincinnati was extremely gratifying.
Closing a business is never a decision that’s fun to make. ... Financially however, the industry is brutal. The cost of EVERYTHING is at ridiculous levels right now. Over the past two years, there have been numerous headline stories about how this, or that, product has achieved an ‘all time’ record cost. We have reached a point where it just can’t be managed any further.

Yet restaurants are not going out of business across the board. I always saw a 3/4 filled lot when I drove past the place in the evening.

We had dinner there once around the time it opened. We got ribs that were as tough as jerky. The owner was circulating around the tables and stopped and asked how we liked it. We mentioned the ribs. He just shrugged and said "yeah, they came out that way tonight." No attempt to fix it or make it right. We never went back. That told me a lot about the owner.

Afterward I read about $41 steaks and bad service at the place.  My opinion is that the management didn't have the skill to run the place and their price points had nowhere to go.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5240
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/06/28 22:55:29 (permalink)
Was in Mt Orab this weekend, saw a new joint called Cowaburger, not quite open yet but should be close
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 287
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/06/28 23:29:46 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Was in Mt Orab this weekend, saw a new joint called Cowaburger, not quite open yet but should be close

Google shows a Cowaburger in Hillsboro and mentions the Mt. Orab location on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Cowaburgerllc

http://newsdemocrat.com/news/410/cowaburger-to-open-in-mt-orab
post edited by Ghaz - 2015/06/28 23:32:58
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7501
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/07/24 11:26:43 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken

Hey Chicken Man
Let me know when you are in the area this yr and I will try and meet you somewhere up
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7501
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/07/24 11:28:09 (permalink)
Ghaz
TJ Jackson

Google shows a Cowaburger in Hillsboro and mentions the Mt. Orab location on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Cowaburgerllc

http://newsdemocrat.com/news/410/cowaburger-to-open-in-mt-orab

Wood fired dawgs and burgers oh my
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/07/24 13:47:35 (permalink)
CajunKing
ScreamingChicken

Hey Chicken Man
Let me know when you are in the area this yr and I will try and meet you somewhere up

If things go according to plan I'll be arriving in Lebanon from the north Thursday, August 27 afternoon and departing for home via southeast IN Sunday, August 30 morning.  About the only free time I get during the weekend is usually Friday morning to midafternoon, but if there's a wrenching session going there's a chance I might be indisposed.  Best bet is to play it by ear...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/08/31 12:04:13 (permalink)
Just an FYI that Breakfast Club in Lebanon is closed for "summer vacation" this week.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/10/17 01:18:07 (permalink)
We ate at Troni's tonight... had done so twice over the summer also.

Utterly superb in every way. Friendly service, and delectable pizza as well as pasta.

Had a plain NY style pie tonight with only cheese. Freaking fantastic. Fragrant, simple, and perfect. My wife had the spinach and white sauce pizza. Not my thing but very very good too.

I still like and advocate for Ron's, though. They two are different and complementary pizza experiences. Ron's for the best Dayton style pizza. Troni's for what is probably the region's best NY style pizza.

I also now understand why Troni's generates such absurd amounts of customer loyalty. We've eaten at the brother's competing "Jimmy's" on Woodman, but the experience is just friendlier and the food is better at Troni's.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/10/20 12:06:54 (permalink)
donw9876
We ate at Troni's tonight... had done so twice over the summer also.

Utterly superb in every way. Friendly service, and delectable pizza as well as pasta.

Had a plain NY style pie tonight with only cheese. Freaking fantastic. Fragrant, simple, and perfect. My wife had the spinach and white sauce pizza. Not my thing but very very good too.

I still like and advocate for Ron's, though. They two are different and complementary pizza experiences. Ron's for the best Dayton style pizza. Troni's for what is probably the region's best NY style pizza.

I also now understand why Troni's generates such absurd amounts of customer loyalty. We've eaten at the brother's competing "Jimmy's" on Woodman, but the experience is just friendlier and the food is better at Troni's.

I have been meaning to get back to Troni's for a while but my Dayton buddy has been at her Vermont stomping grounds for a long while - hopefully before year end.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/10/26 13:42:44 (permalink)
Just wanted to let folks know that http://www.thehomeplacefurniture.com/ in Georgetown is offering probably the best apple cider I have ever tasted. http://www.walnutcreekfoods.com/Apple-Cider-Gallons-Walnut-Creek-p/197101.htm
 Get some before it is gone.

This Mennonite owned family business offers baked goods, deli items, grocery and furniture etc.

It has become our go to place for breads and deli meats and cider etc.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2015/10/26 13:51:05
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11411
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/10/26 19:52:24 (permalink)
I'm sure their cider is excellent.  We prefer unpasteurized cider that we get in Utica.  Stop into Legend Hills or Branstool orchards if you're ever up that way.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/16 14:07:09 (permalink)
Sadly the  little blue cinder block building housing the 68 Family Restaurant in Lumberton on Route 68 has closed its doors. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/16 20:31:34 (permalink)
The former Stacey's/Blake's/Duff's Buffet in Wilmington is now http://www.yelp.com/biz/brausch-brewery-wilmington
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 202
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/18 20:33:14 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
Sadly the  little blue cinder block building housing the 68 Family Restaurant in Lumberton on Route 68 has closed its doors. 

I'm so sorry to hear that. I no longer live in Ohio but that was my breakfast stop every Sunday for many years, on my way to Wilmington for a day's shooting at the local skeet club there. Do you know any details why they closed? I know that Marvin and Sharon, the owners, were not in the best of health.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/19 06:28:34 (permalink)
RKB
NYPIzzaNut

I'm so sorry to hear that. I no longer live in Ohio but that was my breakfast stop every Sunday for many years, on my way to Wilmington for a day's shooting at the local skeet club there. Do you know any details why they closed? I know that Marvin and Sharon, the owners, were not in the best of health.

I have no details - one of my lunchbunch pals from the Dayton area who meets us in Wilmington informed me about it last week.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 810
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/21 13:14:36 (permalink)
Went to Cowaburger in Mt. Orab and The Feed Mill in Felicity during a wine tasting trip last weekend.

We got a burger each, and I got the combo, which includes a side and a drink. For a dollar more you can get the platter, which is a two sides and a drink. I chose the pickles.

We also got a hot dog to split.

The burger was above average. Good flavor, decent size for the price, and they offer a TON of toppings for it, so I sort of stunned the cook/cashier by getting it plain. I give it a solid 'B' overall.

The pickles were outstanding. They came in quarter-sized and shaped slices and were perfectly fried.

But the showstopper was the hot dog, and I'm particular about hot dogs. It was almost more of a smoked sausage. Juicy and flavorful with a toasted bun that complemented it well.

There were random celebrity pictures and bad cow jokes on the wall, but otherwise it was a pretty boring interior, which I've never used against a place since I don't go to look at decor.

The bill was about $20, which I thought was pretty decent considering the amount of food we got. I'll definitely go back.

It's about a mile south of Ohio 32 on the north side of Mt. Orab.

It was our second trip to The Feed Mill, and it was just as good as the first time.

We got the pepperoni rollers, which are cheese and pepperoni bread stuffed with cheese and topped with cheese. We had also gotten those last time, and they were every bit as memorable.

On that note, I got a 12-inchmeat lovers pizza, figuring I'd have plenty of leftovers for the next day. It was outstanding, Plenty of fresh sausage, a really memorable pepperoni and big pieces of fresh diced ham. and it was very filling. I give it an A-.

My wife got a chicken hoagie with orange sauce, since we got wings with that sauce the first time and they were delicious. She was also very happy with it.

We got a huge piece of pie to go -- cookies and cream -- which turned out to be outstanding as well. The only knock was that our service was a little slow, and unapologetically so. The place was fairly empty when we got there and nearly packed when we left around 6 p.m. We'll definitely go back again. The bill was $33, and again, tons of food with half a pizza and the large slice of pie as leftovers.

Recommended for sure.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/21 14:30:14 (permalink)
If anyone has any suggestions for restaurants near a halfway point between Cincinnati and Findlay along I-75 (somewhere around Piqua or Sidney), I'm all ears. We'll be meeting up with my wife's sister for dinner regularly over the next couple of years. We tried Harrison's in Tipp City last night, and I was less than impressed.

Both the service and the food were mediocre; we had to ask twice for silverware, and they brought me the wrong Warped Wing draught after confirming which one I asked for (though I did keep the one they brought since I was fine with either option). The "red devil" shrimp appetizer was thoroughly drenched in a sweet chili and sriracha sauce that was much too heavy on the mayo, to the point where we had to wipe each piece off with the bed of lettuce. My walleye was cooked well enough, but the (very light) cornmeal breading and herb butter added no flavor whatsoever; something as simple as capers would have helped tremendously. The side dish of au gratin potatoes was the highlight of the meal (but even those weren't as warm as they should have been), and the salt rye in the bread basket was a pleasant surprise.

Despite all of that, judging by the length of the wait and the variety of the crowd, I'm guessing it's the best option in Tipp City. None of us are especially keen on going back, though.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/22 08:23:37 (permalink)
I can't help with dining in Tipp City, but DJ's Pizza Alley turns out a nice thin crust pizza if you're just looking to eat.  Carryout only, however, so it might be an option for nicer weather.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/11/23 21:31:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the recommendation. We're definitely looking for dine-in places, although DJ's could work if there is a park nearby (which our preschooler would love).

Tipp City was just our first attempt, since Harrison's showed up on a "best of Dayton" list that I found online. We aren't tied to any particular city or exit, as long as it's "about" halfway and not too inconvenient from the interstate.
frontco
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/12/07 23:19:28 (permalink)
NYPizzaNut, I had just came across this post tonight and have spent most of the evening reading thru. I really liked the idea of the lunchbunch and your location sparked my interest, I live on the lodge side of the lake. We have been visiting a local winery for some time now and have formed a similar bunch labeled the Wino's. We normally are a once a month bunch that heads out to a few wineries for tastings andthen to dinner and back to our local winery for the remainder if the evening.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2015/12/08 13:30:56 (permalink)
frontco
NYPizzaNut, I had just came across this post tonight and have spent most of the evening reading thru. I really liked the idea of the lunchbunch and your location sparked my interest, I live on the lodge side of the lake. We have been visiting a local winery for some time now and have formed a similar bunch labeled the Wino's. We normally are a once a month bunch that heads out to a few wineries for tastings andthen to dinner and back to our local winery for the remainder if the evening.
Interesting!  Do you use a designated driver?

Page: << < ..3132 > Showing page 31 of 32
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5