Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1911
2016/07/25 14:01:56 (permalink)

Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929

http://chowpapi.com/on-the-road-with-rl-reeves-jr-spaldings-donuts-lexington-kentucky/

BJ Spalding opened his old timey donut shop in his house in 1929. 87 years later the little mom and pop is still going strong.

6 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re: Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929 2016/07/25 18:00:28 (permalink)
    Never had any Spalding's when we lived there. We usually went to Donut Days and Magee's. Have to give them a try next time I'm down. More often than not, though, I'll head over to Krispy Kreme. Those are like crack for me.
    post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2016/07/26 17:12:33
    scrumptiouschef
    Re: Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929 2016/07/26 14:27:47 (permalink)
    RB Man, I too love KK but if you hit Spalding early when the donuts are coming out of the fat you may just have one of your finest eating experience.
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1205
    Re: Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929 2017/04/11 17:16:13 (permalink)
    Well, this past weekend I was down in Lexington and finally got to try Spaldings. We got there early enough and there was plenty there and they were still bringing out donuts from the fryer. Got a good selection of cake donuts, a custard filled and some glazed. All in all they make a decent donut. The cake donuts were pretty good, as were the glazed. All in all though, I'd have to say that Krispy Kreme makes a better glazed donut and the other donut places in Lexington make a better cake and glazed. Spalding's is good, (and priced nicely) but there are better places in town.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1291
    Re: Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929 2017/04/12 08:58:47 (permalink)
    Ok this is weird because my wife and I just got back from a short bourbon trail trip and we also went to Spaldings last week.  We got there about 8:45 on a Wednesday morning and the line was wrapped around the (small) interior.  It moved fairly quickly but still took about 20 minutes to get donuts.  We just got the glazed and the chocolate iced glazed and we absolutely loved them.  My wife put them in her all time top 5 donuts.  My dad actually was only able to eat one which has never happened because he said it was so rich and filling.  The only other donut shop we tried in Lexington was North Lime Coffee & Donuts which is a total hipster coffee joint with donuts as well.  We liked those but thought Spaldings was better.  If there are better ones in Lexington than Spaldings, I'd love to hear where they are as it's only a three hour trip down there for us.

We also had donuts one day in Louisville at Clifton Donuts which were average at best.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1395
    Re: Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929 2017/04/12 12:07:10 (permalink)
    Not technically in Lexington, but Doughdaddy's Doughnuts in Versailles (near the Lexington Airport), are quite good, despite (or maybe because of) their location in a gas station.

http://www.doughdaddys.com/

Have not been to Spaldings, so cannot compare. Maybe on my next trip to the Bluegrass . .  .
    scrumptiouschef
    Re: Spalding's Donuts (Lexington, Kentucky) est. 1929 2017/04/12 14:51:38 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man
    Well, this past weekend I was down in Lexington and finally got to try Spaldings. We got there early enough and there was plenty there and they were still bringing out donuts from the fryer. Got a good selection of cake donuts, a custard filled and some glazed. All in all they make a decent donut. The cake donuts were pretty good, as were the glazed. All in all though, I'd have to say that Krispy Kreme makes a better glazed donut and the other donut places in Lexington make a better cake and glazed. Spalding's is good, (and priced nicely) but there are better places in town.

Sorry to hear about that
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5