Helpful ReplyHot!Speaking of Food Memories

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5637
Re: Speaking of Food Memories 2018/02/27 12:07:19 (permalink)
leethebard
pnwchef
leethebard Most people lived in the inner-city you needed to be rich to live in the berbs. Back then everything you needed to survive was within a 5 block radius. Bars, pizza joints, hotdog stands, movie theaters, pharmacies, meat markets, bakeries, bike shops, shoe stores........Whens the last time you got new heels on your shoes ??????

Mar, I bet you'll wind up with enough to write a book of memories. Wait until Michael Hoffman tells his stories about sitting around the camp fire in the Lewis and Clark expedition. 

Did they visit Ye Old Waffle House?

Back then they served Bear 🐻.
Legend has it that's where he developed such a taste for it. Davy Crockett was their supplier.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3039
Re: Speaking of Food Memories 2018/02/27 12:56:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby lleechef 2018/02/27 15:33:32
1bbqboy
leethebard
pnwchef
leethebard Most people lived in the inner-city you needed to be rich to live in the berbs. Back then everything you needed to survive was within a 5 block radius. Bars, pizza joints, hotdog stands, movie theaters, pharmacies, meat markets, bakeries, bike shops, shoe stores........Whens the last time you got new heels on your shoes ??????

Mar, I bet you'll wind up with enough to write a book of memories. Wait until Michael Hoffman tells his stories about sitting around the camp fire in the Lewis and Clark expedition. 

Did they visit Ye Old Waffle House?

Back then they served Bear 🐻.
Legend has it that's where he developed such a taste for it. Davy Crockett was their supplier.

The first Waffle House.

mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11828
Re: Speaking of Food Memories 2018/02/27 12:58:17 (permalink)
1bbqboy
Did you go to Altadena Dairy when you were out there?

Bill, I don't know why they're named Altadena Dairy.  I'd never heard of them until the were "instructed" to stop selling raw milk and that might have been in the late 60s.

My grandfather bought a couple properties in Altadena because he loved looking up and seeing the mountains.  Now you can't even see them sometimes.

We had the Milkman, Mike deliver Carnation milk to us in a wire thing that held 4 quarts.  In the early days Mom removed the cream that was at the top of the bottle and saved that for her coffee.

We had apricot and plum trees in our back yard that produced tons of delicious fruit.  Mom canned whole fruit and made jam.  That all ended with she was putting paraffin on top of one of the jars and everything ended up on one of my feet.  I remember it burned.  I remember some stinky blank gunk rubbed all over my foot but I don't have a single scar to prove it ever happened.  Mom's canning products were outstanding.  The plum jam was my favorite.  OH!  She also made plum pancake syrup which we put on her homemade waffles and never pancakes.  Always made on her Sunbeam waffle maker.  When they got a second home in the desert she wanted the exact same Sunbeam waffle maker and finally found one in an antique store.  They made the best waffles!  Just not fast enough for us kids.
MissK
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Speaking of Food Memories 2018/03/04 05:34:35 (permalink)
i love this story (stories!)

really beautiful and well written. sounds like a wonderful childhood and upbringing!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5