Helpful ReplyHot!Spend July 3 with The Contingent

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Pie Diva
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 113
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/04 11:33:45 (permalink)
I always double it and make 2. Hard to find anything but 12 ounce cans of lemonade and 1 never seems to be enough
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4888
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/04 12:08:38 (permalink)
The pies were heavenly!  Thanks....was surprised by the butterscotch with curry crust, turned out to be my favorite!  Thanks so much!  Truly, the Pie Diva! 
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/05 14:32:21 (permalink)
Anyone hear anything about how Sammy the Dog is??
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6082
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/05 16:49:20 (permalink)
No word yet on Sam, but I reckon I'll chime in here with a few thoughts on our day.

Apparently there are some in the group who like to get up in the wee hours, when the Troll People are still roving I-94 in the Wisconsin gloom, snatching up leftover bits of fried cheese curds, cast from the cars of litterbugging FIBs as they break through the Cheddar Curtain on their way home after a long night of drunken carousing with a Spotted Cow.  For them there are fresh Kringles in Racine followed by The Brat Stop and the Super Egg von Brat.  For me, there is a leisurely reading of the Sunday Chicago Tribune including the latest dream sequence battle between Dick Tracy and Evil Eye Fleegle (Tracy wins, natch).

Once the Trib was fully consumed, it was off to Dairyland where we met the rest of the gang at Big Star Drive In.  Double Cheese Burgers (reportedly made with gen-u-wine Velveeta cheese product) and house made Root Beer were the big draws.  Neither disappointed, providing big, satisfying flavors and a perfect start to our day.  Big Star's burgers are of the smashed-on-the-grill variety; a lovely throwback to an old fashioned Hamburger many of us remember from our youth.  The Root Beer was a good balance of flavors and not too sweet.

From there it was past the Velodrome and on to Paielli's Bakery.  Our one regret in not joining the early birds was missing out on the Kringle.  But this is Wisconsin after all, and apparently there is a law requiring all bakeries, even those of Italian heritage, to carry a full compliment of the Danish pastry.  Thus it was that we scored two dandies, a Blueberry Cream Cheese and an Almond Custard version.  We also picked up a couple of Polar Bears(?), a chocolate cake and creme thingy, kinda like a Susie-Q, covered in a thick layer of chocolate icing.  Decadent and delish!

Longtime favorite Tenuta's Deli was next.  We were there for the Italian specialties and other oddities, but were first distracted by the dueling gas grills, near the front door, cooking up Brats and Italian Sausages.  There was great temptation to grab a sandwich, but thinking ahead to the rest of the day, we broke the hypnotic trance, brought on by the sound and smell of sizzling sausage grease, and went inside.

Tenuta's offers a treasure trove of unusual and hard to find items, mostly of Italian descent, but there are lots of other delights if you allow yourself to find them.  I grabbed a four pack of Belfast Ginger Beer (oddly enough, brewed in Wisconsin), a sleeve of Bixit Oat Biscuits, and a block of Sartori Montamore Cheese.

I remembered the cheese from my recent visit to Cleveland.  The local Heinen's stores were sampling it out and it was delicious.  Very sharp with a slight crystallization, it made my taste buds jump for joy.  I couldn't buy it in Cleveland because I didn't think it would survive the drive home without being refrigerated.  Hooray for happenstance as I found it again in this most unlikely outpost.

The Bixits brought back memories of our trip to Ireland some years ago.  We'd pick up a package of "Hobnobs Nobbly Oaty Biscuits" and a chunk of local cheese.  During moments of lightheadedness in between meals we'd pair up the cheese with the slightly sweet biscuits for a satisfying snack.

With shopping complete, we congregated outside where Pie Diva broke out a trio of pies that topped everything else in the day.  A Double Crust Lemon Pie, a Sugar Cream Pie, and the most unusual but quite delicious Butterscotch with Curry Crust Pie made the rounds to everyone's delight.  No weak links in that group.  All were spectacular and just the right treat at that point in the trip.

Next up was The Spot; another classic Drive In, and another tasty Hamburger.  The Spot also makes their own Root Beer, served in a frosty mug no less.  Most of us agreed it was more full flavored than what we'd had at Big Star.  I thought it was slightly too sweet and decided a combination of the two versions would be perfect.

We needed to kill some time before dinner, so drove over to the Jelly Belly factory for some outlet store bargains.  I wanted to do the factory tour but was voted down.  We still had time before the fish boil so we headed to the Bong Recreation Area (bring your own bong).  Our presence sent the local staring population into a tizzy as we were sitting too close to a nest full of hungry hatchlings.  Several dive bombings later we finally decided it was time to boil some fish.

The Fire Pitt is a typical Wisconsin wayside stop, full of rustic charm and plenty of space to park your pickup truck.  To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from a culinary standpoint.  How much flavor can you get from a pot of boiled fish?  But, I gotta say, this was good stuff.  Very flavorful boneless chunks of cod, doused in butter and accompanied by Red Potatoes, Sweet Onions (all boiled in the same pot), Brown Bread, and Cole Slaw.

Some folks added the Barbecued Chicken and Ribs and seemed to like them very much.  A couple of the group avoided the fish altogether and went with the special of the day, a Smoked Brisket Sandwich.  This was the real thing and not just smoked brisket in name only.  I don't know how well it would have been received in Texas, but for southeast Wisconsin, this was far better than average.

Our AYCE dinners included apple or cherry pie, but we'd already had the best pie of the day and decided to pass.

Many thanks to ScreamingChicken for his light handed organization of this tour, and a tip of the hat to ChiBears15 for pushing the issue in the first place.

Next up is a visit to the Fox & Hound Supper Club, proposed by JRPfeff and Pie Diva.  See y'all in August!

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8379
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/05 19:11:21 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
With shopping complete, we congregated outside where Pie Diva broke out a trio of pies that topped everything else in the day.  A Double Crust Lemon Pie, a Sugar Cream Pie, and the most unusual but quite delicious Butterscotch with Curry Crust Pie made the rounds to everyone's delight.

Everyone?  Really?

"Sartori" sounds like it could be an Italian name so it doesn't seem too surprising that you found it at Tenuta's.  Plus it comes from just up the road in Plymouth.

The Irisarbors ordered some pretty good chicken wings at The Spot; my guess is that they were broasted.  And as not-a-fan of Velveeta I much preferred The Spot's burger, but it's pretty much a tossup on the root beer.  At Big Star it was still early in the day and we were seated in shade but at The Spot I was starting to feel the sun even if it wasn't all that warm out, and I'm sure that made the root beer taste better.  The JRPfeffs ordered a large and it seemed like it disappeared in a hurry!

Cajun brats from Bobby Nelson's are tonight's dinner, and my daughter said the baby octopi in spicy sauce and oil are pretty good.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/21 21:39:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2016/07/22 08:31:56
The early risers (myself, ChiBears15, and ChiTownDiner) started the day at Brat Stop.  CTD mentioned that originally it covered a modest 1200 square feet but today encompasses over 44,000.

And along the way it picked up some sports bar schtick.

CB15 and I each had the "Egg von Brat", which is basically that well-known fast-food breakfast sandwich with a brat patty and better cheese in place of the sausage and processed American.  Very tasty, as were the fried potatoes...neither of us professed disappointment at not being offered a deep-fried hash brown patty.

CTD chose the bratwurst omelet and was presented with a very well-filled plate.

From Brat Stop we headed north up the frontage road and made a brief, unscheduled stop at Tim & Tom's Cheese Shop, which is part of an antique mall.  CB15 did make a purchase here, although I can't remember what it was.

Destination #2 was Bobby Nelson's Cheese Shop, recommended by BuddyRoadhouse and the place where Mr. Maki and abe froeman joined the shindig.  Old school, the way the cheese & sausage shops used to be.

I bought some of their Cajun brats, which turned out to have plenty of heat when I grilled them a couple of days later.

And since we were in the area and had some extra time, we stopped at Mars Cheese Castle, which has morphed into a giant specialty supermarket.  But to their credit they do carry La Quercia meats, which are really, really good.

From there we journeyed to Big Star, the official start of the tour.  I do not know if Alex Chilton ever ate here.  Or ever visited Chilton, WI for that matter.

Sorry about the bite marks, but I didn't have a knife.  I liked the burger but the Velveeta-style cheese isn't something I care much for.

CB15, was it you that ordered the corn dog?

Pie Diva was HUNGRY!

Unfortunately, when you visit a bakery on the Sunday of a holiday weekend and closing time is only a couple of hours away, this sight can be common.  Still, I think almost everyone went away with at least one item.

Tenuta's turned out to be not only a shopping stop but a snacking stop as well.  CB15 had this Italian sausage from Tenuta's outdoor food stand.

And CTD ordered this panini at the deli counter.  While it looks quite good the general consensus was that it was a bit too salty.

Well, after eating at a stop where we weren't supposed to eat it was no surprise that appetites were a little dull by the time we reached The Spot.  I wonder if this guy has a name...

Why spend money on menu boards when you can simply put the bill of fare right on the eaves?

I ordered an ordinary bacon cheeseburger while the Roadhouse Four went a bit fancier with theirs.

While it was a very temperate day a person could still get warm in the sun, which made the root beer taste extra extra good (the first extra comes from it being in a glass mug).

The Spot will also be remembered as the place where ChiBears15 passed up what could've been the adventure of a lifetime...that biker chick had plenty of room for you, Danny.

Eventually the afternoon began to reach toward evening and our final meal approached.

Time to upgrade from root beer!

Fire Pitt has a nice dining room, and if we wanted we could've eaten up on the stage at the back.  Had ChiTownDiner been with us we just might've done that, but instead we chose al fresco as it was really nice outside.

In order to get a group shot of the table I had to climb into the bushes and never really paid attention to the composition...

Boiled cod, barbecued chicken, and potatoes.  I could only muster enough room for this plate; if I was eating here as part of a regular day I would've definitely gone back for seconds.

Frank, however, upped the ante by choosing ribs and adding an onion (boiled along with the potatoes in the fish pot).

And JRPfeff's surprisingly good brisket sandwich.

My trip home took me past Holi Cannoli on the outskirts of Elkhorn and I remember thinking, "if only I was hungry..."
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2016/07/21 21:42:39
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6082
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/21 22:21:12 (permalink)
Very nice pix and reportage ChickenDude!  We did indeed walk out with a number of items from Paelli's Bakery.  Two Kringles and a couple of Polar Bears.  It took us a few days to get through the Kringles, but the other pastries were gone within 24 hours.

There's no question, The Contingent scored a perfect day for this outing.  Thanks to ChiBears15 for pushing the issue and to ScreamingChicken for organizing and taking suggestions from the Peanut Gallery.

Hoping to see everyone at at Fox & Hounds on the 6th, and Fred's on the 20th.

Buddy
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10346
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2016/07/22 08:54:15 (permalink)
Great pictures Brad! My best friend lived in Kenosha, and I ate at each and every spot you all visited.. They even knew me by name at Tenutas! Sorry I missed this one!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Spend July 3 with The Contingent 2018/06/01 08:17:45 (permalink)
Travelocity says that Paielli's is the best place in WI to buy a doughnut:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/bakery-in-kenosha-makes-list-of-best-doughnut-shops-in-america/748174191
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5