Helpful ReplyHot!Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 16
Author
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/01 23:26:59 (permalink)
My friends photos from Husk.

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5752
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 01:10:51 (permalink)
Is it just me, or are none of chickenplucker's photos showing up?

Buddy
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 05:23:39 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

I don't see any pictures either.
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4696
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 07:51:46 (permalink)
nagle
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

They remind me of Danny's...NOT showing up!
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 08:14:34 (permalink)
Not sure why. I am seeing them on my phone and laptop...
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 08:59:02 (permalink)
chickenplucker
Not sure why. I am seeing them on my phone and laptop...

Please, if you're going to attribute a quote from ChiBears1-3, please put in quotes and footnote!  

Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 09:53:32 (permalink)
nagle
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Me either.
David

ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 10:12:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/10/02 10:24:22
I'm literally laughing out loud as I am reading this ridiculousness. 
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 15:18:30 (permalink)
Hey guys,

David and I are considering Husk as the primary candidate for Wednesday's opening night dinner next spring in Nashville.  I wanted to run one thing by everyone just to be on the safe side.

Husk is a little on the pricier side compared to most of the places we will be visiting.  Not terribly expensive, but Yelp says the average tab is between $31 and $60 (if you have a CTD type of appetite your bill will be closer to $200), and that probably doesn't include any drinks.

With that being said, are there any objections to Husk based on price?  Thanks for your help.

Danny

P.S.  No worries Gregg, I already checked.  Husk has gender neutral bathrooms! 

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 15:43:33 (permalink)
Based strictly on price, if we're considering Husk as a dinner option, I was thinking it might be a place to go at the end of a longer day.  Say we've been out chowing down at four or five places earlier, we get to Husk and we just want to nibble.  We get a bunch of apps, maybe split a few entrees.  We keep the costs down and still get a reasonable sampling of the kitchen's abilities.

OTOH...their lunch menu looks far more affordable and more in line with Roadfood expectations.  The Cheeseburger, which attracted my attention in the first place, was not offered on last night's dinner menu (changes daily).  It is on today's lunch menu for a very reasonable $14 (definitely big enough to split between two or more people, especially as part of the larger Crawl).  The lunch menu also includes numerous Southern classics and favorites, including a “Grilled” Pimento Cheese Sandwich with Country Ham & Pickled Peppers, Ember Grilled Chicken Wings with Alabama White Sauce, Shrimp and Grits, and a Nashville Plate Lunch featuring their signature Fried Chicken.

All in all, I think Husk will serve us better, both economically and gastronomically, as a lunch stop.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 15:51:44 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Based strictly on price, if we're considering Husk as a dinner option, I was thinking it might be a place to go at the end of a longer day.  Say we've been out chowing down at four or five places earlier, we get to Husk and we just want to nibble.  We get a bunch of apps, maybe split a few entrees.  We keep the costs down and still get a reasonable sampling of the kitchen's abilities.

OTOH...their lunch menu looks far more affordable and more in line with Roadfood expectations.  The Cheeseburger, which attracted my attention in the first place, was not offered on last night's dinner menu (changes daily).  It is on today's lunch menu for a very reasonable $14 (definitely big enough to split between two or more people, especially as part of the larger Crawl).  The lunch menu also includes numerous Southern classics and favorites, including a “Grilled” Pimento Cheese Sandwich with Country Ham & Pickled Peppers, Ember Grilled Chicken Wings with Alabama White Sauce, Shrimp and Grits, and a Nashville Plate Lunch featuring their signature Fried Chicken.

All in all, I think Husk will serve us better, both economically and gastronomically, as a lunch stop.

Buddy

I've emailed them about the possibilities of a reservation for 20-25 or more. I did say the 25th, but I can change it. If we wanted to do it for lunch (Jeff and Danny can duke it out, although I'm really interested in that cheeseburger, and if they don't have it for dinner.........) we could do Friday. We've got Arnold's which opens at 10:30. What would be a good time?

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 17:47:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chickenplucker 2017/10/02 17:49:49
Davidsanders

I've emailed them about the possibilities of a reservation for 20-25 or more. I did say the 25th, but I can change it. If we wanted to do it for lunch (Jeff and Danny can duke it out, although I'm really interested in that cheeseburger, and if they don't have it for dinner.........) we could do Friday. We've got Arnold's which opens at 10:30. What would be a good time?

The 25th is a Wednesday. Won't most people still be traveling that day?  I guess if you were considering it for dinner we might get a better turnout.  Even then, the Wednesday night gatherings in Pittsburgh and Kansas City were both lightly attended as I understand it.

My vote for Husk is for Lunch on any day where it fits.  Having now looked at two dinner menus (yesterday and tonight), it appears the CheeseBurger is not typically featured in the evening.  Although it still showcases Southern Cuisine and ingredients, the dinner menu seems more formal.  Danny can put up a fight, but I think my earlier statement holds up: The prices and selection on Husk's daytime menu makes lunch the default choice.

Looks like it's a five minute drive between Arnold's and Husk.  So whaddaya think; 90 minutes to get settled at Arnold's, order and consume a meal, do a little socializing then head over to Husk at noon?  Or is that too much time at Arnold's?  Also, FWIW, Peg Leg Porker is two blocks from Arnold's, in the other direction.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/10/02 17:59:30
ChiBears15
Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 17:56:31 (permalink)
Jeff, I won't be fighting for dinner at Husk. You were the one who introduced me to the great Brobeck's BBQ, so I will let this one go. 🍔🍔🍔
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/02 18:04:09 (permalink)
Ya know, given the differences in the lunch and dinner menus, there's no reason Husk can't be on the schedule twice.  Maybe do Wednesday night for the early birds who don't mind the higher ticket items, and then again for a more economical lunch on Friday with the larger group.

Dang, that Ham Salad at Brobeck's was pretty darned good wasn't it?  I'm just glad EVERYONE had a chance to enjoy it...

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/03 07:26:54 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Ya know, given the differences in the lunch and dinner menus, there's no reason Husk can't be on the schedule twice.  Maybe do Wednesday night for the early birds who don't mind the higher ticket items, and then again for a more economical lunch on Friday with the larger group.

Dang, that Ham Salad at Brobeck's was pretty darned good wasn't it?  I'm just glad EVERYONE had a chance to enjoy it...

Buddy

I still savor every last morsel...
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/03 11:16:59 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders

The 25th is a Wednesday. Won't most people still be traveling that day?  I guess if you were considering it for dinner we might get a better turnout.  Even then, the Wednesday night gatherings in Pittsburgh and Kansas City were both lightly attended as I understand it.

My vote for Husk is for Lunch on any day where it fits.  Having now looked at two dinner menus (yesterday and tonight), it appears the CheeseBurger is not typically featured in the evening.  Although it still showcases Southern Cuisine and ingredients, the dinner menu seems more formal.  Danny can put up a fight, but I think my earlier statement holds up: The prices and selection on Husk's daytime menu makes lunch the default choice.

Looks like it's a five minute drive between Arnold's and Husk.  So whaddaya think; 90 minutes to get settled at Arnold's, order and consume a meal, do a little socializing then head over to Husk at noon?  Or is that too much time at Arnold's?  Also, FWIW, Peg Leg Porker is two blocks from Arnold's, in the other direction.

Buddy

Our Wednesday night dinner in KC only had five of us. I'm not sure if there were other dinners somewhere else.

I think your plan for Arnold's followed by Husk followed by Peg Leg's looks good. 

David

Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/03 12:30:28 (permalink)
So, I've been in touch with Husk, and it's an ongoing conversation, but it looks like they seat tables in 15 minute increments. They have three large tables, one each in their three rooms, but if, for instance, the first group was seated at noon, the last one wouldn't be seated until 12:30. I'm trying to pin her down to see if that's the way it is at lunch, even with using one large and several smaller tables. If we had to be split into five tables, that means the last group would be just getting seated over an hour after the first. 

What do you think? 

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/03 14:38:40 (permalink)
I think we need to get a final head count on who will be attending, and you won't have that until at least after the first of the year.  No restaurant wants to turn away business.  If we explain to them what we're doing and the timetable we're trying to meet, I'll bet they'll work with us on a tighter seating schedule.

I'm sure part of their reasoning for the spaced out seating is related to kitchen output.  Husk will be just one part of the larger Crawl, so we'll be splitting entrees between two or more people.  Therefore a party of 20-25 will actually be more like a party of 10 as far as the kitchen is concerned.  They may be more amenable to seating us all together under those circumstances.

Again, we need a more accurate headcount before making any final plans.  With seven months to go, I think we'll be fine.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/04 21:33:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/10/05 07:21:32
I heard from Husk again today, and they've made what I think is a really tremendous offer. They are offering their private dining room, which would mean we would all be seated together. They have offered to waive the charge for the room and the food and beverage minimum charges. They are offering a custom family style dinner, featuring the burger and fried chicken, and other things to be decided. I have replied to them asking what other items they would include, if we could choose, and what the cost per person would be, or if it would depend on what we ordered. 

I had tentatively told them Friday at noon, per Jeff's suggestion, and I think that will work out very well, following Arnold's at 10:30. 

Thoughts?

David

chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/04 22:28:52 (permalink)
I like it.^^^^^^^
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 04:25:57 (permalink)
David,
With every new development you're proving yourself up to the task of pulling this Crawl together.  I think the family style lunch at Husk is an outstanding way to go, as long as they understand our parameters.  Just like at SLAPS BBQ last spring, a sampling will be all we need as part of the longer day.  We don't need 20 CheeseBurgers for 20 people.  Probably one Burger for every four people, with the option of ordering more, over and above the agreed group price.

The Burgers and the Chicken are a good starting point.  I'd really like to see the Fried Catfish or the Shrimp & Grits as part of the menu.  Add in two or three classic Southern Side Dishes and you've got a memorable stop on your Crawl.

Buddy
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 08:53:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/10/05 14:23:42
I think Left Side AND Right Side is the way to go...it allows one to relax and stress out over these decisions...
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 14:28:47 (permalink)
And then you'll sleep through the Ham Salad later in the day.  Fortunately for you, the Husk menu goes straight up the middle; no left or right side options.

BTW, while the dinner menu changes daily, the two lunch menus I've seen appear to be fairly consistent.  The CheeseBurger, Fried Chicken, Catfish, and Shrimp & Grits look like mainstays.  Add in some Collard Greens, Creamed Corn, and Beans and you've got yourself a dandy sampler plate!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2017/10/05 14:30:14
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 15:14:55 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
And then you'll sleep through the Ham Salad later in the day.  Fortunately for you, the Husk menu goes straight up the middle; no left or right side options.

BTW, while the dinner menu changes daily, the two lunch menus I've seen appear to be fairly consistent.  The CheeseBurger, Fried Chicken, Catfish, and Shrimp & Grits look like mainstays.  Add in some Collard Greens, Creamed Corn, and Beans and you've got yourself a dandy sampler plate!

Buddy

I'm still waiting for a reply from Husk to my follow up questions, what other items we can add, price, etc.

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 15:58:02 (permalink)
Price will be an important component.  It's best to have a price point in mind when negotiating.  I was very clear with the guys from SLAPS that we were trying to stay in the $5 per head range, providing just a taste of a handful of items, and they came through like champs.  There was just enough to eat, and I think everyone agreed they got good value for their money.

OTOH, Jones BBQ caused me more than a little embarrassment, asking, IIRC, well over ten bucks a head, maybe even more than $15.  There's no question they went all out in creating a magnificent spread, but in the context of all the eating we did during the entire day, it was far more than we needed, with lots of leftovers no one could take.

In the case of an upscale place like Husk, $5 per head simply isn't a reasonable expectation, but $10 per person isn't outside the realm of possibility.  Make sure they understand what we're after.  As said above, one CheeseBurger could feed up to four people.  And we don't need each person at the table to have their own chicken breast or thigh.  The equivalent of one chicken, properly cut up, might be enough for eight or more eaters.  Same with the sides; each person just needs a forkful or two of each for tasting purposes.  As long as we have the option to order more, as an add on to the agreed price, that should satisfy the group.

Tell them what we're interested in getting, then ask, "What can you provide for $10 a head?"  Then negotiate from there.  Either drop an item or two from the menu, or add a dollar or two onto the per person cost.

You're doing GREAT David!  You have the full confidence of everyone planning to attend.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 18:26:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/10/06 06:03:47
BuddyRoadhouse
Price will be an important component.  It's best to have a price point in mind when negotiating.  I was very clear with the guys from SLAPS that we were trying to stay in the $5 per head range, providing just a taste of a handful of items, and they came through like champs.  There was just enough to eat, and I think everyone agreed they got good value for their money.

OTOH, Jones BBQ caused me more than a little embarrassment, asking, IIRC, well over ten bucks a head, maybe even more than $15.  There's no question they went all out in creating a magnificent spread, but in the context of all the eating we did during the entire day, it was far more than we needed, with lots of leftovers no one could take.

In the case of an upscale place like Husk, $5 per head simply isn't a reasonable expectation, but $10 per person isn't outside the realm of possibility.  Make sure they understand what we're after.  As said above, one CheeseBurger could feed up to four people.  And we don't need each person at the table to have their own chicken breast or thigh.  The equivalent of one chicken, properly cut up, might be enough for eight or more eaters.  Same with the sides; each person just needs a forkful or two of each for tasting purposes.  As long as we have the option to order more, as an add on to the agreed price, that should satisfy the group.

Tell them what we're interested in getting, then ask, "What can you provide for $10 a head?"  Then negotiate from there.  Either drop an item or two from the menu, or add a dollar or two onto the per person cost.

You're doing GREAT David!  You have the full confidence of everyone planning to attend.

Buddy

Well, you might not after this! I just heard from them again, and here it is.

My assumption is that you would like to taste a little bit of everything, family style. I was thinking to include the following:

Snack:
Husk Pimento Cheese w/e Benne Wafers (1 per)
Deviled Ham Deviled Eggs (1 per)

Family Style Entree:
Husk Cheeseburger
Husk Fried Chicken
Catfish
Shrimp & Grits
Plate of Southern Vegetables

This features some of our most popular items and would truly allow your guests to get a taste of Husk Nashville. The above menu would run approximately $30 per person. Let me know if this works for you, or if you would like to add something for dessert. Beverages are charged on consumption.

If this works, I'll draw up an agreement and send it your way!

So, I know it's way over what everyone probably would have in mind. I can ask what it would cost to cut down on the number of portions, as you say, but I can't imagine that it's ever going to go below $20 per person. I don't know how they're figuring, but to have that many choices for such an upscale restaurant I think is pretty amazing. 

Actually, I would think that "some of us", including and maybe especially me, would want to have maybe half a cheeseburger, amy own chicken breast and a taste of the catfish, shrimp and southern vegetables. 

I'll see what I can get them to do. They might not want to supply the room, which normally has a $250 fee (waived) and a $1200 food/beverage minimum (also waived), if they're going to just get $250 out of it ($10/person times maybe 25 people). This might be the best meal of the trip.

David

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/05 20:45:39 (permalink)
Part of their high price quote may be the result of an over estimation on their part as to what we need.  It all depends on how many people they're figuring to feed with that "Family Style Entree"  In other words, what they're assuming might feed four people might actually be more than enough for six to eight, given the fact that we'll have multiple meals leading up to and following Husk.  The key for making the price work both for them and us is portion control.

OTOH, your points are well taken, both regarding their expectations for making money, and your (and others) desire to deviate from a set menu.  Maybe the answer is to bite the bullet and order off the menu in small groups, sharing as we please, and just accepting the fact that we're not going to get in all at once.  If we end up getting the food we want at the price we need, taking a little extra time to make that happen won't be the worst thing that can happen.

Buddy

Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/06 00:53:13 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Part of their high price quote may be the result of an over estimation on their part as to what we need.  It all depends on how many people they're figuring to feed with that "Family Style Entree"  In other words, what they're assuming might feed four people might actually be more than enough for six to eight, given the fact that we'll have multiple meals leading up to and following Husk.  The key for making the price work both for them and us is portion control.

OTOH, your points are well taken, both regarding their expectations for making money, and your (and others) desire to deviate from a set menu.  Maybe the answer is to bite the bullet and order off the menu in small groups, sharing as we please, and just accepting the fact that we're not going to get in all at once.  If we end up getting the food we want at the price we need, taking a little extra time to make that happen won't be the worst thing that can happen.

Buddy

If you just take the five entrees items plus appetizers that they have offered to include in the family style dinner and add them up, it comes out to $92. Divide that by five, and it's $23 a person. I think that's cheap enough to be able to sample so many dishes from what some people have said has been the best meal of their lives. I can try to talk to them and see if with portion control they can charge a little less. Considering how much money we (I?) spend on the trip part of the trip, I don't think we should pass up this opportunity to experience this restaurant. After all, my meal at Jess and Jim's was about $65, and Stroud's was $25 or so. I would hope this would be comparable. 

If we were to do this we should probably make it the first lunch of the day, at 11 a.m., with just one or two breakfasts before hand. I assume it would be an awful lot of food, and a great way to get the day started. I'm really hankering for that cheeseburger..... and that fried chicken..... and that.......

David

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/06 09:17:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2017/10/06 09:38:02
It is also unlikely we will have 25 people for this...

Tax and Tip and Beverages will be extra...

A must stop and perhaps a double dip kinda place...

ChiBears15 will ONLY be taking photographs and NOT eating...
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/10/06 09:33:24
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Spring 2018 Roadfood Crawl 2017/10/06 09:27:20 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
It is also unlikely we will have 25 people for this...

Tax and Tip and Beverages will be extra...

A must stop and perhaps a double dip kinda place...

I agree a must stop. My friends from California that visited earlier went ahead and made reservations for October and December. They were that blown away.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 16
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5