St. Augustine FL...sharing again!

Author
KokomoJoe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 265
2004/12/10 20:16:31 (permalink)

St. Augustine FL...sharing again!

Went to St. Augustine to see the millions of white lights for the "Nights of Lights"...beautiful! Great day trip! We stayed 2 nights in a motel.Went to the "Sunset Grill" for lunch one day. Osteens was closed for vacation! Bummer! Love their fried shrimp!Anyway...the "Sunset Grill" was great Roadfood! Prices were good and food was great. Hubby had the "Ultimate fish sandwich"! It was served on a sub roll and was covered with fresh fried delicious fish! It had at least a pound of fish on it and was served w/ fries and cole slaw for $8.95. I had 7 delicious,large, coconut shrimp with fries and cole slaw at $14.00. Very nice all around. Sunset grill is beachside (no view!) on A1A beach road! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

5 Replies Related Threads

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: St. Augustine FL...sharing again! 2004/12/10 21:00:10 (permalink)
    I lived there in 1990 and went to a Cuban place a couple of times that was near the fort. For the life of me I can't recall the name of the place now.

Dennis in Cary
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 265
    RE: St. Augustine FL...sharing again! 2004/12/10 21:06:48 (permalink)
    DLn: Think the Cuban place was the Columbian Restaurant? Excellent food and atmosphere is wonderful. Not "Roadfood" as such but excellent! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: St. Augustine FL...sharing again! 2004/12/11 10:50:48 (permalink)
    What's the regional thing to eat in St. Augustine? I went there two years on the way down to Miami and had a hankering for Italian food so I ended up at a local pizza joint that was actually surprisingly good. I remember prerusing a few menus and obviously saw alot of seafood, and some "Carribean Style" stuff as well. Does anything stand out as UNIQUE to St. Augustine?
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1331
    RE: St. Augustine FL...sharing again! 2004/12/12 11:10:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

What's the regional thing to eat in St. Augustine? I went there two years on the way down to Miami and had a hankering for Italian food so I ended up at a local pizza joint that was actually surprisingly good. I remember prerusing a few menus and obviously saw alot of seafood, and some "Carribean Style" stuff as well. Does anything stand out as UNIQUE to St. Augustine?

The regional thing to eat there are the wonderful fried St. Augustine shrimp. The two best places to get them are at Barnacle Bill's across from the visitors center and Osteens. In November, we noticed that Barnacle Bill's he has opened a second restaurant over on the beachside. Osteens, on the beachside is a great place to go as they have some Minorcan specialties on their menu; very spicy tomato based fish chowder being one. The Minorcans brought datil pepper seeds to St. Augustine and the area is well know for the very hot and spicy datil pepper products. Barnacle Bill's sells many of them such as hot sauces and datil pepper jelly. You have to be extremely brave to eat the sauces...........they are HOT!
    Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: St. Augustine FL...sharing again! 2004/12/12 13:55:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

The regional thing to eat there are the wonderful fried St. Augustine shrimp. The two best places to get them are at Barnacle Bill's across from the visitors center and Osteens. In November, we noticed that Barnacle Bill's he has opened a second restaurant over on the beachside. Osteens, on the beachside is a great place to go as they have some Minorcan specialties on their menu; very spicy tomato based fish chowder being one. The Minorcans brought datil pepper seeds to St. Augustine and the area is well know for the very hot and spicy datil pepper products. Barnacle Bill's sells many of them such as hot sauces and datil pepper jelly. You have to be extremely brave to eat the sauces...........they are HOT!

Thanks Chezkatie, I now know where to go the next time I visit family in Northern Florida!!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5