Helpful ReplyLockedSt Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 11 of 13
Author
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 859
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/15 15:57:38 (permalink)
I am really looking forward to meeting and eating with this group. Work could let me arrive Friday morning or afternoon in Jacksonville. Staying on the southside. I will be in Savannah Thursday working and checking out a couple of new Q joints.
Keith aka chickenplucker
karilyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/15 16:39:15 (permalink)
I could never be offended if someone calls me fashionable . . . but my shield of armor is engaged! I'm meeting ChiBears15 on Thursday for lunch . . . he can help supply me with ammo! BTW, ChiBears15, if coming directly from airport, take the Heckscher Drive exit off of 295 (zoo exit but head in opposite direction) and you can catch the ferry that will take you across the St. John River to Singleton's. www.stjohnsriverferry.com It's closed for required servicing but is supposed to be back online on the 18th. Ask at the airport before you head there.
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/15 20:45:02 (permalink)
karilyn
I could never be offended if someone calls me fashionable . . . but my shield of armor is engaged! I'm meeting ChiBears15 on Thursday for lunch . . . he can help supply me with ammo! BTW, ChiBears15, if coming directly from airport, take the Heckscher Drive exit off of 295 (zoo exit but head in opposite direction) and you can catch the ferry that will take you across the St. John River to Singleton's. www.stjohnsriverferry.com It's closed for required servicing but is supposed to be back online on the 18th. Ask at the airport before you head there.

He'll turn on his mother for the right price!  Exercise Caution! 
karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/15 22:45:58 (permalink)
Duly Noted. Thanks for the warning!
karilyn
Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 00:19:29 (permalink)
Are any of these on anyone's radar . . . or spreadsheet??? Maple Street biscuit Company . . . Tacolu . . . . Safe Harbor Seafood in Mayport
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 07:31:37 (permalink)
New blood...luv it!  I have not but will do a bit of recon. 
crew84row
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 257
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 07:34:51 (permalink)
karilyn
Are any of these on anyone's radar . . . or spreadsheet??? Maple Street biscuit Company . . . Tacolu . . . . Safe Harbor Seafood in Mayport

I know Maple street Biscuit Company is a chain around the south.  We ate at the one in downtown Chattanooga once as it was near the hotel and nothing else was open.  A tad on the expensive side but the biscuits were decent.

I heard that Safe Harbor was undergoing renovations.  Not sure if that's just the warehouse or includes the restaurant.  But typically there are lines around the block if its open.  Good reputation for fresh local seafood. But not a Singletons.

I've seen good things about Tacolu on Beach Boulevard.  Also gets crowded at lunch time, I understand.  Might be a good option.  Supposedly the $10 Taco doesn't cost $10 and the margaritas are good.  Could be worth a stop.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 08:25:02 (permalink)
I just discovered the first snag of our trip a couple of days ago. After we leave St Augustine our plan was to stop at the The Crab Shack    (in the Roadfood books but not in the website)in Tybee Island for dinner on our way up to Charleston, however I discovered that the Wreck in Mt Pleasant currently has winter hours and is only open Thursday through Sunday, therefore after consulting with experts (buffetbuster) I made the executive decision to bump The Crab  Shack and go to The Wreck instead. Besides I haven't been to The Wreck in 8 years.
For those interested in where we will be going in Charleston here's the list (subject to change)
Coffee-      Kudu Coffee
Breakfast: Charleston's Café
                Hominy Grill
Lunches:   82 Queen
                Magnolia's
                Bertha's Kitchen
Dinner:     Hominy Grill (twice)
                The Wreck
                Bowens Island

I'm not sure which days we will be going where, all I know is we will be going to the Wreck on Sunday since they will be closed the rest of the time we're in Charleston
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 09:43:44 (permalink)
Couldn't argue with any of those choices!  Great stuff! 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 09:51:52 (permalink)
We begin Thursday at the Old Spanish Sugar Mill Grill for breakfast and then after a bit of hiking, we head to the Marjorie Kannan Rawlings home for a short visit and look see. 

Lunch will be at The Yearling Restaurant (old Roadfood book entry) before making the trek into St. Augustine. 

Dinner is still up in the air, but may be  Caps on the Water (a justbeachy recommendation) or one of about 5 other spots depending on weather, crowds and where CHiBears15 is not dining! 
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 16:39:43 (permalink)
Has any of the Florida crew heard of or visited this place in Jacksonville?
http://www.thesoulfoodbistro.com/home
They have 2 locations and I plan to try it at some point. The Oxtail Wontons are calling my name.
ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 525
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 18:59:58 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
We begin Thursday at the Old Spanish Sugar Mill Grill for breakfast and then after a bit of hiking, we head to the Marjorie Kannan Rawlings home for a short visit and look see. 

Lunch will be at The Yearling Restaurant (old Roadfood book entry) before making the trek into St. Augustine. 

Dinner is still up in the air, but may be  Caps on the Water (a justbeachy recommendation) or one of about 5 other spots depending on weather, crowds and where CHiBears15 is not dining! 

Et tu, Brute?

A few days ago you said you would be joining me at the Cold Cow Thursday night!  How quickly loyalties change... I hope you get the Plum St. Snowball treatment, pal! 

Danny
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 20:38:50 (permalink)
I have not. But the Atlantic Blvd Location would be easier to find.Plus it's open later and on Saturday. Maybe you can suade Kathryn et al to skip Tacolu.
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1193
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 21:40:55 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I just discovered the first snag of our trip a couple of days ago. After we leave St Augustine our plan was to stop at the The Crab Shack    (in the Roadfood books but not in the website)in Tybee Island for dinner on our way up to Charleston, however I discovered that the Wreck in Mt Pleasant currently has winter hours and is only open Thursday through Sunday, therefore after consulting with experts (buffetbuster) I made the executive decision to bump The Crab  Shack and go to The Wreck instead. Besides I haven't been to The Wreck in 8 years.
For those interested in where we will be going in Charleston here's the list (subject to change)
Coffee-      Kudu Coffee
Breakfast: Charleston's Café
                Hominy Grill
Lunches:   82 Queen
                Magnolia's
                Bertha's Kitchen
Dinner:     Hominy Grill (twice)
                The Wreck
                Bowens Island

I'm not sure which days we will be going where, all I know is we will be going to the Wreck on Sunday since they will be closed the rest of the time we're in Charleston

I'm not attending this fantastic-sounding event, but I would say if you have a chance to go to Tybee Island, skip the Crab Shack and go to A.J.'s Dockside, which is one of the best places I've been to anywhere.

David

Lurker
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/16 21:54:54 (permalink)
Davidsanders

I'm not attending this fantastic-sounding event, but I would say if you have a chance to go to Tybee Island, skip the Crab Shack and go to A.J.'s Dockside, which is one of the best places I've been to anywhere.

David

Thanks David

I'm still weighing my options which will depend on how late we stay in St Augustine.  The two times I've been to The Crab Shack I've always gotten the shellfish feast.  I did check A.J. Dockside's menu  and although it looks good,  I was surprised to see that they don't offer something similar. 
I'm not sure why, but it appears that The Wreck has  gotten some poor reviews lately both on Yelp, and even more surprising tripadvisor. 

Cynder
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 00:54:45 (permalink)
chickenplucker
Has any of the Florida crew heard of or visited this place in Jacksonville?

They have 2 locations and I plan to try it at some point. The Oxtail Wontons are calling my name.

The location on Atlantic Blvd is very crowded on Sunday after services at the nearby Harvest Dome.
Davidsanders
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 00:56:42 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Davidsanders

David

Thanks David

I'm still weighing my options which will depend on how late we stay in St Augustine.  The two times I've been to The Crab Shack I've always gotten the shellfish feast.  I did check A.J. Dockside's menu  and although it looks good,  I was surprised to see that they don't offer something similar. 
I'm not sure why, but it appears that The Wreck has  gotten some poor reviews lately both on Yelp, and even more surprising tripadvisor. 

You're right, it's a really different type of menu. It's just that the one time I was at the Crab Shack I didn't particularly enjoy it, whereas the three times I've been to AJ's I've loved it every time. Of course, I pretty much only get fried shrimp, which are spectacular. I also had a half-order of the gumbo with my fried shrimp dinner one time which was great, although it was basically like eating two dinners.

One thing I really did like about the Crab Shack was all the cats wondering around.

I envy you all this trip. I love that part of the country so much. I was in Charleston for a short time in November.

Lurker
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 08:13:42 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Davidsanders

David

Thanks David

You're right, it's a really different type of menu. It's just that the one time I was at the Crab Shack I didn't particularly enjoy it, whereas the three times I've been to AJ's I've loved it every time. Of course, I pretty much only get fried shrimp, which are spectacular. I also had a half-order of the gumbo with my fried shrimp dinner one time which was great, although it was basically like eating two dinners.

One thing I really did like about the Crab Shack was all the cats wondering around.

I envy you all this trip. I love that part of the country so much. I was in Charleston for a short time in November.

Ah! That's what I figured. We're doing fried shrimp at O Steens and possibly Singletons on Sunday afternoon. Doing it again for dinner may just be a little too much. If we stay late in St Augustine we'll definitely be heading to Crab Shack, if we leave early, then most likely the Wreck

On an aside. We'll be meeting Sandra's coworker's husband  next Tuesday evening for dinner. He lives in CT but works in Charleston in banking (he's in his late 60's and hasn't retired) so it looks we'll be doing Hominy Grill both Monday and Tuesday night save Bowens Island for Wednesday night since they're closed Mondays.
crew84row
Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 12:53:18 (permalink)
Weather is shaping up to be nice.
 (Apologies   in advance for bad formatting)

St. Augustine, FL

Weather This Weekend,  Feb 19        

Friday

Feb 19

Partly sunny and pleasant68° Lo 52°                         RealFeel® 70° / Lo 55°more                      

Saturday

Feb 20

Mostly sunny and pleasant72° Lo 52°                         RealFeel® 77° / Lo 54°more                      

Sunday

Feb 21

Partly sunny and pleasant74° Lo 54°                         RealFeel® 80° / Lo 56°more                      

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 12:55:26 (permalink)
With weather like that, format any way you want! 
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 14:13:33 (permalink)
wanderingjew it seems that you have Sunday pretty much planned out but around Darien,Ga you may be ready for a treat. I have to suggest B&J's Steak and Seafood. It's about 2 miles off I-95 and they have some of the best fried Wild Caught GA Shrimp you can taste. I will be stopping on the way down for sure.

essvee10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 17:58:32 (permalink)
Just a late heads-up. Had a fried shrimp plate at Corky Belle's in East Palatka last week. Superb fried shrimp, gossamer light and practically greaseless. While sitting next to the St. John's river. Large plate, costing 16 bucks, had 20 or more shrimp on it. Really nice. Good hush puppies too. Sides, as per usual, were nothing special. Do not get the cheese grits, which were tasteless. But those shrimp... man they were good!
Lurker
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 18:03:07 (permalink)
chickenplucker
wanderingjew it seems that you have Sunday pretty much planned out but around Darien,Ga you may be ready for a treat. I have to suggest B&J's Steak and Seafood. It's about 2 miles off I-95 and they have some of the best fried Wild Caught GA Shrimp you can taste. I will be stopping on the way down for sure.

Thanks chickenplucker.  Those fried shrimp look like a winner.

I'm a lightweight compared to some of our "heavy hitters" besides, my girlfriend would kill me if we stop for anything other than "one breakfast, one lunch and one dinner" other than perhaps a beer  (for me) or ice cream.
Davidsanders
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 19:51:20 (permalink)
As long as your sharing, here's my fried shrimp my first time at AJ's.

I'll be really curious how you like the fried shrimp at O'Steens and Singleton's. I loved them at Singleton's, but wasn't wild about O'Steens. 

David
Lurker
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 20:23:44 (permalink)
Ok, I'll join in too.

I think I'm leaning again toward the Crab Shack Sunday night vs The Wreck and the reason why is we're probably going to want to stay a little later in St Augustine and I what we'll end up ordering at Bowens Island later on in the trip will probably be very similar to what we would have ordered at The Wreck
So this is what I enjoyed at The Crab Shack when I was there with Travelin Man 6 very long years ago.

On an aside... If anyone needs to reach me starting tomorrow, I'll have very limited internet access since I'm not bringing my laptop but I will be available by phone or text.
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 20:57:00 (permalink)
Wanderingjew and I exchanged cell numbers. If anyone would like mine please send me a PM
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/17 21:00:53 (permalink)
enjoy the sugarmill, one of my very favorite spots. be sure to get some bacon or sausage, both are very good. and bring your suits, if it's sunny you can get a swim in
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/18 21:03:44 (permalink)
justbeachy -

Caps on the Water was superb!  Great view, superior service and a most beautiful sunset.  Thanks for the recommendation. 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/18 21:05:05 (permalink)
bosco lover
enjoy the sugarmill, one of my very favorite spots. be sure to get some bacon or sausage, both are very good. and bring your suits, if it's sunny you can get a swim in

bosco lover -

We got 'em both and loved the place.  Mighty different, mighty cool, mighty fine!  Thanks1
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
Re: St Augustine/Jacksonville -February 19-21 2016- Not the Glee Club- All invited 2016/02/18 21:43:18 (permalink)
I haven't even made it to the Florida line yet but the good food has already started. I have been trying to eat the acclaimed food from B's Cracklin BBQ in Savannah for a year or so. Read the attached story and you will see what stopped me. Its a good read about the brotherhood of BBQ Pitmasters.
http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2015/10/14/bs-cracklin-barbeque-is-back/?xid=socialflow_facebook
The food was well worth the wait.

Page: << < ..111213 > Showing page 11 of 13
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5