Helpful ReplyHot!St. Louis Favorites

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 12:15:35 (permalink)
Liketoeat,

Pat's is kind of still the name by which the place goes by, since the old time sign still says Pat's. They got an Honorable mention for Fried Chicken in the P-D reader's poll in '02. Plus, they got #5 for their Fried Chicken with the RFT readers poll in '03. I have not been there yet, but obviously have it on the list.

Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 12:44:59 (permalink)
Good Morning, Joe. Just getting on computer and thanks for the info re current status of Pat's (McDermett's). Sounds like its moved up a few notches in the world during recent years. I do want to apologize to you, though, for going on at length about the subject of brains as a food item. Would never have even mentioned the subject had I known your information & position on it and its adverse effect on you. Sound as though info my friends had re local health department's prohibiting brain sandwich sales may have been correct, and for reasons you state. Had never heard about lady & her dog or adverse reports in general. Certainly in this day and age it is likely a food best avoided (wonder about other organs such as liver, etc.). As said, I've never had brain sandwich but have no health concerns over my long ago brains & eggs eating in that they were from family bred, raised, and slaughtered cattle, and I know fully their entire histories, unlike with meats of all sorts one purchases today. Enough said and the last said on this subject. Again, my apologizes. Thanks. Liketoeat
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 14:52:35 (permalink)
Liketoeat,

Please do not think I am upset. It in reality is no big deal. I just oh so wanted to avoid the entire subject, but just somehow knew in the back of my head that it was going to come up. Brain sandwiches are well-known here and would not be surprised if folks still served them covertly or at least at family dinners. Just like "blood soup" some things just never go away. Although fortunately I have never heard of blood soup being served in a restaurant, just at my cousin's husband's family dinners on special occassions - his dad loved the stuff. Another of those old-time Scrubby Dutch that left nothing to waste.
playgolf
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 15:30:55 (permalink)
The Village Bar is located on Manchester Road, just east of West County Mall on the north side of the street...across the street from 7-11.
Try it, you will LOVE it.
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 15:43:53 (permalink)
Liketoeat,

Is the BBQ joint in Murphyboro - Brown's Bar-B-Que House, 203 N. Williams Street Murphysboro, IL 62966 Phone (618)687-2921?
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 16:54:10 (permalink)
playgolf,

Thanks for the info!

Now I know exactly where you are talking about. I have lived in Kirkwood (a neighboring community) since 1997 and have never been there. I drive by it all the time.

Wow, we will have to try them out soon.
tjr
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 136
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 18:09:41 (permalink)
Joe - thanks for some great info, would be really super if there was a way to incorporate your spreadsheets into this forum so any updates you make are incorporated. Maybe the management is listening?

Anyhow, surprised noone's mentioned Provel cheese as a unique St. Louis item. Apparently it's some sort of alloy of provolone, mozzarella, and american that appears in sort of angel hair form, like tiny string cheese, and is served on salads.

Also, someone mentioned buying pretzels in bags on the street. There's still a pretzel bakery somewhere by the A-B brewery. Not sure what its name is, but was delicious last time we were there.
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 19:06:00 (permalink)
tjr,

Thanks for the thought, but incorporating my spreadsheet would probably be quite and undertaking that I doubt Roadfood would want to do for St. Louis alone, much less the entire country. Zagat just finally did St. Louis, probably because they were tired of me emailing them every 6 months or so asking for a Zagat Survey for St. Louis. Doing something like this is quite a lot of work.

Provelone (Provel) is the cheese used on the St. Louis Style Pizza and also on salads.

The pretzel place is called Gus's Pretzels and its on Arsenal St. right across I-55 from the A-B brewery. Still open and going strong.
playgolf
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 19:20:14 (permalink)
BTW, Joekirkwood,
I'm in Kirkwood myself. Have you ever had the little burgers called "grillers" at Grahams Grill/The Loop Lounge? Good late nite burgers...order a plate.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 19:32:26 (permalink)
Joe, as I responded directly to you, thanks so much for the spreadsheet. It is wonderful and such a wonder of a work on the part of you and the wife. I'm totally overwhelmed but will so enjoy it (and find it so useful & fascinating) for much, much time to come. As for the Murphrysboro, IL, barbecue place, I couldn't remember name of it so went to yellowpages.com and find in Murphysboro two BBQ places, Brown's, which you mentioned, and also Apple City Barbecue at 32 N. 17th St. I believe Apple City is the one with which I'm familiar (anyway, its right downtown and has lots of barbecue trophies on display). I was thinking name of place was apple something, but knew the times I'd been in Murphrysboro and at the restaurant have been times of the annual Apple Festival there, so thought I might have gotten the name Apple in my mind from the festival. Believe, tho, the Apple City Barbecue is the one to which I was referring. Liketoeat
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 22:19:17 (permalink)
playgolf,

Wow a fellow Kirkwoodian! What a great little town to live in!

No, I have not had grillers, but I am going to get them the next time I eat there for sure. They sound good.

We have only had dinner there once with another couple. All four of us were so impressed with our meals. My wife at times can not handle the smell of Cajun food all that much (got bad food poisoning from Cajun food once that just ruined her on it) and she is allergic to shellfish, so it is hard to get her to go to seafood places.

By the way I would like your opinion on a local subject if you do not mind. Please email me at joekirkwood@excite.com, but it is not food related and would not benefit the forum. Funny we talk over the internet and yet could be next door neighbors.
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/07 22:20:25 (permalink)
Liketoeat,

Thanks for the info. I think I will keep both on the list just to give me a little choice when I am down that way.
playgolf
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/08 01:08:59 (permalink)
Actually, I think you have to go to the "lounge/roadie" part of Graham's to get the grillers. It's actually a "seperate" part of the same building with an interior door connecting the two. A little more "rustic".
playgolf
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/08 01:12:47 (permalink)
My email is messed up...new computer. I'll get it figured out and email you.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10203
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/08 10:33:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joekirkwood

Also, let's not forget the beginning of this thread - St. Louis specialties.
Does anyone have any stand out favorites that serve these St. Louis specialties?
-- Toasted Raviolis (raviolis battered and deep fried)

I can tell you where to avoid. I went to Rigazzi's on my last trip to St Louis in May and there toasted raviolis' were cold, stale and dissappointing! I even considered going elsewhere to order another batch, but their antipasta salad was not too bad and I had to leave some room for a banana chip concrete at Ted Drewes' When I went to St. Louis back in 2000 I did have very good toasted raviolis at Mama Campisi, however this time around I was looking for even better, guess I failed in the attempt
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/08 12:37:47 (permalink)
wanderingjew,

I would have to more than agree with you about Riagazzi's as far as bad food. Went there once and plan never to go back again. My wife liked her dish, but I was just totally unimpressed. I personally wonder why they rebuilt after the fire they had there a few years back? I can get a better meal and service at Olive Garbage. " /> I know that is harsh, but man I really disliked that place.

If you are ever in the suburb of Rockhill, try a small, whole in the wall place called A'mis. Great entrees, ok pizza and really good toasted ravs - in my opinion on par with Cunetto's.

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10203
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/08 13:24:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joekirkwood

wanderingjew,
If you are ever in the suburb of Rockhill, try a small, whole in the wall place called A'mis. Great entrees, ok pizza and really good toasted ravs - in my opinion on par with Cunetto's.

I don't know when I'll be in St. Louis again. Most likely it will be when/if they build a new ballpark
JoeyH
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/11 17:13:20 (permalink)
As for Murphysboro, Illinois BBQ:

17th Street Bar and Grill is the famous BBQ joint there. It was founded by 3-time winners of the Memphis in May Festival. Co-founder Mike Mills has since opened 3 locations in Las Vegas, called "Memphis Championship BBQ." http://www.4-17th-rib.com/

Having said that, I also enjoy Brown's BBQ, though they are only open thurs-sat. The rib tips there are great.

Another good Southern Illinois BBQ roadfood stop is Pulley's BBQ in Marion.

The family style chicken diner place mentioned along Route 13 is Pioneer's Cabin. They also have a location in Willisville, Illinois.
http://www.pioneerscabin.com/
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/14 12:23:17 (permalink)
JoeyH, thanks for jogging my memory re Pioneer's Cabin and the Murphysboro barabecue places. And , joekirkwood, I noticed your comment that you seldom give any restaurant an A+ rating, but also noticed in your spreadsheet that you'd given such rating to Cunetto's; a rating with which I heartedly agree! Thought of you this weekend when recommending (insisting on a meal at) Cunetto's to friends who will be visiting St. Louis this coming weekend. They also hope to make it down to St. Genevieve. Do you have any restaurant recommendations there which I could pass along? Didn't see any in the spreadsheet. Remember a number of years ago a restaurant with bakery (and delicious breads/pastries) in an old home right downtown, but can't remember its name and have no idea if its still there. Will appreciate any suggestions. Liketoeat
joekirkwood
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/14 15:42:15 (permalink)
Liketoeat,

Been to St. Gen once at night to make a delivery when I worked for a home healthcare company. So, I have no idea. I have heard it is a quaint little town to visit, but not a peep about any restaurants. Trust had I, it would have been on the list.

I have been to some very great restaurants in St. Louis. My wife has been to some very great restaurants that I have not been to. Yet, my wife and I agree that Cunetto's is the best place to get a great meal thus far.

Have a great day!
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/07/14 16:13:21 (permalink)
Joekirkwood, thanks for reply. We surely agree on Cunetto's. Have only once driven through, not stopped in, St. Genevieve since it was nearly destroyed by flood of several years ago, but prior to flood it was a really neat little town to visit/tour. My only restaurant experience there was the one I menioned, and it was wonderful. Also remember an interesting old fashioned meat market on outskirts of town. Thanks again. LTE
Defessa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/08/06 08:45:59 (permalink)
We just moved from St. Louis, and have enjoyed many of the places this thread has mentioned. I didn't see one of our family's favorites-[url='http://www.sybergs.net']Sybergs[/url] We went to the one on Gravois. The kids loved the toasted ravioli and the shark chunks.

My husband misses Gooey Butter Cakes, he says it doesn't seem like Sunday without one at breakfast. But the food I miss from St. Louis is an item from Schnucks (one of the local grocery chains), their Brie and Gorgonzolla torte. I would love a recipe to duplicate this item.

jennycola
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/08/27 14:03:15 (permalink)
Hi - going on a roadtrip in late September and looking for suggestions in Columbia and Hannibal MO - any thoughts for family restaurants? My kids aren't picky eaters so we are open to any ideas, just wanted to avoid chain restaurants. We are going from Chicago, via Springfield IL and St. Louis so we have good direction for the St. Louis stop, but you seem to be the one who has the best info on Missouri dining!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/08/27 14:59:54 (permalink)
Jenny,
A few weeks back we rode up the river road from St Louis to Ft Madison Iowa as part of a roadtrip. We stopped at BUBBA'S in Hannibal. It sits next to the tracks and the River at the foot of Broadway. It is an old Warehouse, converted into a restuarant. The dish of choice here should be the Pork Steak (Smothered). I had the Ribs and they were Tony Roma Style...Obviously precooked then grilled again at the last minute. Stick to the Pork Steak and You will be a happy eater..Plenty of burgers & catfish etc on the menu too. It is an interesting stop, with plenty of flood-photos and local history on the walls.
jennycola
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/09/02 07:45:24 (permalink)
Sounds like a great place to me! The combination of good food and local info is just what I like. I'm looking forward to this trip - just driving around for a few days and no particular rush once we get into Missouri. Any thoughts on Columbia? The travel info site just seems to be lots of chain restaurants and although that's not the worst, I would love to hear about somewhere special!
Bigchickendan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/09/02 09:06:30 (permalink)
I worked for a while in St Louis back in the '70's and ate at a restaurant named "Catfish And Crystal". It was downtown and as I remember, the food was pretty forgettable. Just wondered if it was still around. Even then, I thought the name was a very unlikely combination. First time poster to this forum, but I've been lurking for a long time!!

Bigchickendan
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/09/02 10:44:19 (permalink)
Catfish & Crystal long, long gone. But there is a tremendous revival going on in downtown St. Lou. Seems as though every building is being turned into condo's and I expect as the downtown population grows the number of restaurants will increase significantly.
cyclenana
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/09/02 12:29:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

Hello, Joe. Thanks for your reply and for the info on correct name of Cunetto's salad. Believe you me it is great, and altho not on the dinner menu, they'll get it for you at dinner if you request it. They'll leave the anchovies off, too, if you request, but to me they just contribute to its uniquely wonderful taste. Also, do you happen to know Daniella, a waitress in the smoking section? Its worth sitting in the smoking section just to get her. She's a native of Venice, Italy, and the epitomy of a professional waitress.
The Lottawatta is, its seems to me, some 5 or 6 years old and is off the interstate to the north, kinda behind some other restaurants and motels. I believe but am not certain it is in Fairview Heights. It may be O'Fallon. You are so right. There are so many wonderful places to eat in the immediate St. Louis area that I don't know if you'll ever get to any surrounding ones further out. As for southern Illinois, one of my favorite places, particularly for a total outing, not just an eating adventure, is Giant City State Park & Lodge just out from Carbondale.Thinking of this particularly for an outing for your family and parents.The park is really beautiful, and the Lodge, both inside & out, is so neat & rustic; the original part of it built by CCC back in the 1930's and maintained in original fashion. The dining room offers a wide variety of items, but one of the most fun things to do/get there, particularly if there is a group, is its family fried chicken dinner. It consists of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn, dumplings, slaw, rolls, and seems like a few other items. Its all realy good and is served family style in bowls and on platters, with their providing as many refills as you request. For big eaters, you get the same end result as an all you can eat buffet, yet without having to go thru the buffet line and its "health concerns" which some folks have. There is a regular commercial restaurant on the north side of hwy. 13 between Marion & Carbondale (but closer to Marion) which serves exactly the same family chicken dinner. Can't think of the restaurant's name or its specific location, but it's easily spotted. Food is fine there but it lacks the lovely setting of the state park and lodge restaurant. A drive totally through the state park is well worthwhile as is a stop in the little town of Makanda, believe the name is, which one goes through when driving out to the Park/Lodge from Carbondale. Its got several craft shops and one of the best assortments I've seen recently of ageing hippies left over from the 1960's.
Larry's Barbecue in the little town of Christopher, IL, has great barbecue , but perhaps even better is its usual offering of an all you can eat fried catfish dinner. As with the fried chicken dinners, this is served famiy style with as many refills as you request. Very, very good catfish and all the trimmings. Also in Christopher, in true roadfood fashion, is the Made-Rite diner which serves Made-Rites ("loose meat" hamburgers sort of like sloppy joes but without the tomato sauce) and great pies at these long counters. Its one of those "been there forever" places where all the locals know everyone and everything which is happening. I'm not sure if correct spelling is Made-Rite or Maid-Rite. It is locally owned and a local institution, but understand there were/are a number of these up further north, maybe in Mo. and definitely in Iowa and maybe further north. Please observe a moment of silence, shed a tear for the passing/closing of the "Savoya Inn" in Christopher, IL. The Savoya was one of the all time great roadfood (or any other type) restaurants for quality and variety of foods offered, quality of service, and reasonableness of prices. Really, don't think I've ever anywhere seen a restaurant which had everything to offer that the Savoya did. Also mourn the passing of Rusty's Drive Inn in Mount Vernon which had the world's best Italian Beef. As far as I know, there is still a real good barbecue place (can't think of name of it) right in downtown Murphysboro, IL. Know they have over the years won a number of Memphis in May barbecue awards. There are plenty other good places (many of them true "roadfood restaurants") in that area (one is a; maybe the only restaurant in Dix, IL, just north of Mt. Vernon; a good fried chicken and plate lunch place), but these are the ones which readily come to mind. There are also now some wineries which one can visit in the Mt. Vernon area, but I've not had opportunity to try any of them. I always love getting up to St. Louis and in that area of Illinois, not only to visit friends buy also to enjoy the foods there. Hope you may at some time have occasion to sample some of these neat places over in Illinois as a change from your great St. Louis restaurants. And if you have even more time for an outing (its really commendable your taking your parents for such), definitely visit & tour, if you've not done so, one of the neatest spots on the face of the earth; New Harmony, IN, with a meal at The Red Geranium (original restaurant; not the new one over in the conference center/hotel section). Shawnee National Forest, Garden of the Gods State Park, and Cave in Rock in far southeastern IL area also make for a good outing, though I don't know any of the restauarants in that part of the state. Enjoy, and I'd appreciate any of your special St. Louis or area recommendations. Know of or have eaten at many of the places you mentioned, but there are some, such as, Kries' and Citizen Kane's, with which I'm totally unfamiliar. Liketoeat
cyclenana
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/09/02 12:33:34 (permalink)
Hi Liketo eat: I know this is late but I just got on. The place in Murphysboro is 17th Street, great BBQ. Also in Metropolis Bills BBQ.Giant City Lodge is beautiful and a good place to eat also.Southern Ill. does have some very good places.Marys at Ruma, IL has wonderful catfish.Thats between Red Bud and Chester, IL
quote:
Originally posted by Liketoeat

Hello, Joe. Thanks for your reply and for the info on correct name of Cunetto's salad. Believe you me it is great, and altho not on the dinner menu, they'll get it for you at dinner if you request it. They'll leave the anchovies off, too, if you request, but to me they just contribute to its uniquely wonderful taste. Also, do you happen to know Daniella, a waitress in the smoking section? Its worth sitting in the smoking section just to get her. She's a native of Venice, Italy, and the epitomy of a professional waitress.
The Lottawatta is, its seems to me, some 5 or 6 years old and is off the interstate to the north, kinda behind some other restaurants and motels. I believe but am not certain it is in Fairview Heights. It may be O'Fallon. You are so right. There are so many wonderful places to eat in the immediate St. Louis area that I don't know if you'll ever get to any surrounding ones further out. As for southern Illinois, one of my favorite places, particularly for a total outing, not just an eating adventure, is Giant City State Park & Lodge just out from Carbondale.Thinking of this particularly for an outing for your family and parents.The park is really beautiful, and the Lodge, both inside & out, is so neat & rustic; the original part of it built by CCC back in the 1930's and maintained in original fashion. The dining room offers a wide variety of items, but one of the most fun things to do/get there, particularly if there is a group, is its family fried chicken dinner. It consists of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn, dumplings, slaw, rolls, and seems like a few other items. Its all realy good and is served family style in bowls and on platters, with their providing as many refills as you request. For big eaters, you get the same end result as an all you can eat buffet, yet without having to go thru the buffet line and its "health concerns" which some folks have. There is a regular commercial restaurant on the north side of hwy. 13 between Marion & Carbondale (but closer to Marion) which serves exactly the same family chicken dinner. Can't think of the restaurant's name or its specific location, but it's easily spotted. Food is fine there but it lacks the lovely setting of the state park and lodge restaurant. A drive totally through the state park is well worthwhile as is a stop in the little town of Makanda, believe the name is, which one goes through when driving out to the Park/Lodge from Carbondale. Its got several craft shops and one of the best assortments I've seen recently of ageing hippies left over from the 1960's.
Larry's Barbecue in the little town of Christopher, IL, has great barbecue , but perhaps even better is its usual offering of an all you can eat fried catfish dinner. As with the fried chicken dinners, this is served famiy style with as many refills as you request. Very, very good catfish and all the trimmings. Also in Christopher, in true roadfood fashion, is the Made-Rite diner which serves Made-Rites ("loose meat" hamburgers sort of like sloppy joes but without the tomato sauce) and great pies at these long counters. Its one of those "been there forever" places where all the locals know everyone and everything which is happening. I'm not sure if correct spelling is Made-Rite or Maid-Rite. It is locally owned and a local institution, but understand there were/are a number of these up further north, maybe in Mo. and definitely in Iowa and maybe further north. Please observe a moment of silence, shed a tear for the passing/closing of the "Savoya Inn" in Christopher, IL. The Savoya was one of the all time great roadfood (or any other type) restaurants for quality and variety of foods offered, quality of service, and reasonableness of prices. Really, don't think I've ever anywhere seen a restaurant which had everything to offer that the Savoya did. Also mourn the passing of Rusty's Drive Inn in Mount Vernon which had the world's best Italian Beef. As far as I know, there is still a real good barbecue place (can't think of name of it) right in downtown Murphysboro, IL. Know they have over the years won a number of Memphis in May barbecue awards. There are plenty other good places (many of them true "roadfood restaurants") in that area (one is a; maybe the only restaurant in Dix, IL, just north of Mt. Vernon; a good fried chicken and plate lunch place), but these are the ones which readily come to mind. There are also now some wineries which one can visit in the Mt. Vernon area, but I've not had opportunity to try any of them. I always love getting up to St. Louis and in that area of Illinois, not only to visit friends buy also to enjoy the foods there. Hope you may at some time have occasion to sample some of these neat places over in Illinois as a change from your great St. Louis restaurants. And if you have even more time for an outing (its really commendable your taking your parents for such), definitely visit & tour, if you've not done so, one of the neatest spots on the face of the earth; New Harmony, IN, with a meal at The Red Geranium (original restaurant; not the new one over in the conference center/hotel section). Shawnee National Forest, Garden of the Gods State Park, and Cave in Rock in far southeastern IL area also make for a good outing, though I don't know any of the restauarants in that part of the state. Enjoy, and I'd appreciate any of your special St. Louis or area recommendations. Know of or have eaten at many of the places you mentioned, but there are some, such as, Kries' and Citizen Kane's, with which I'm totally unfamiliar. Liketoeat
Cyndy Lou
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2003/09/02 13:44:16 (permalink)
I am from St. Louis born and raised ... moved to Massachusetts but get home several times a year. I have several favorites in the area ... on the Illinois side of the river here are a couple of my favorites:

Fast Eddies - Alton
Tony's - Alton (try the pepperloin or the pizza)
Josephine's - Godfrey (tearoom)
Moonlight - Alton (fried chicken is the best)
Chico's - Wood River (has the best Onion Rings!!)

On the Missouri side of the river I enjoy the following restaurants:

Bevo Mill
O'Connell's
Cunneto's
Sportsman's Park
Amighetti's

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5