Helpful ReplyHot!St. Louis Favorites

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/01/30 17:49:01 (permalink)
http://stlouis.citysearch.com/profile/5746917/

http://media.www.thecurrentonline.com/media/storage/paper304/news/2005/04/04/ArtsAndEntertainment/Nacho.Mamas.Tex.Mex.Disappoints-911799.shtml

It's Nachomama's with one "m". It's cheap but I wouldn't call it good. See reviews above. It's on par with Taco Bell or other fast food places.

For some good stuff try Garduno's, Taqueria Bronco, La Vallesana, or Los Catrachos on Cherokee or La Tropicana on Lindenwood. A few places that come to mind; I'm sure that there are others.
smellthatsmoke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/01/30 17:57:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

http://stlouis.citysearch.com/profile/5746917/

http://media.www.thecurrentonline.com/media/storage/paper304/news/2005/04/04/ArtsAndEntertainment/Nacho.Mamas.Tex.Mex.Disappoints-911799.shtml

It's Nachomama's with one "m". It's cheap but I wouldn't call it good. See reviews above. It's on par with Taco Bell or other fast food places.

For some good stuff try Garduno's, Taqueria Bronco, La Vallesana, or Los Catrachos on Cherokee or La Tropicana on Lindenwood. A few places that come to mind; I'm sure that there are others.

Thanks for the correction.

I have heard a lot about the places on Cherokee, But I have not been to any of them...That whole area is on my list of places to go. Thanks for the recommendations
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/01/31 18:28:18 (permalink)
Hey smellthatsmoke,

Do you have a report on Bully's BBQ in Columbia? It's in the old Timothy's location in the Marketplace.

-EG

P.S. If you make it to Cherokee, I would suggest your first stop be Garduno's. The carne asada or steak chimi plates are excellent. If you are feeling adventuresome, try a caldo.
smellthatsmoke
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/02/01 16:24:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Extreme Glow

Hey smellthatsmoke,

Do you have a report on Bully's BBQ in Columbia? It's in the old Timothy's location in the Marketplace.

-EG

P.S. If you make it to Cherokee, I would suggest your first stop be Garduno's. The carne asada or steak chimi plates are excellent. If you are feeling adventuresome, try a caldo.

Yes I do have a review.

Well I tried the new Bully's Smokehouse last weekend. All I will say about it was that it was o.k.

My wife and I ordered the "Meal for two" Which consisted of A 1/2 rack of ribs, 1/2 chicken, a small portion of pulled pork and a small portion of brisket cut into chunks, as well as 4 sides. We ordered a baked potato, fries, Baked beans, and slaw. It also came with 4 garlic bread pieces. The price was $25.00.

The sides and the bread were very good, the meat on the other hand was just ok. It was all fairly tender, it just seemed rushed, and not great tasting. The ribs had an odd chemical taste, the chicken was sprinkled with seasoned salt, and that's what they call a rub, the brisket was oddly cut into large chunks. The pulled pork was the best offering overall. It was pulled correctly not cut into chunks, and it had a nice hickory flavor.

The sauces they offered are another story...they had a midwest sweet, a texas hot, and a carolina mustard. I could not eat any one of them on their own. I had to mix the texas hot and the midwest sweet to get a passable bbq sauce.

So I don't recommend Bully's if your expecting great bbq, if on the other hand you just need a quick bbq fix it will suffice in a pinch.

******update*****

I have been there since this was posted...on barbeque news forum...and this time i just ordered a lunch sandwich of pulled pork. I must say the sandwich was very good...the pork was tender and tasty. They put those little california stlye onion rings on top of the meat and that part of it was extremely salty, but as long as you didn't just get a bite of those alone it was very good. Just don't order the Iced tea, its a common problem in this town, we have horrible water. The tea was all cloudy and flat tasting. I do not blame bully's for this, it's just bad water.
I will go back for the yummy sandwich!

Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/02/07 09:01:48 (permalink)
I stopped through St. Louis on my most recent road trip last week. I had a great dinner at Cunetto House of Pasta. I started with toasted ravioli, dinner was Ditalini con Piselli (ditalini with white butter sauce green onions and peas). My salad was the Insalata di Pomodoro (sliced tomato & onions with anchovies & house dressing). I recommend this restaurant as an excellent example of the best of The Hill.

In the morning I stopped at World's Fair Donuts. I thought it was great that they were open for my early morning (5:30 AM) departure. The donuts were great. I was especially taken by the nutmeg flavored buttermilk cake style donuts. At least I think they were called buttermilk donuts. The coffee was nothing great, but it was 5:30 AM and I had 900 miles ahead of me. I did not want to get into looking all over St. Louis for a great cuppa Joe.

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10203
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/02/07 09:30:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

I stopped through St. Louis on my most recent road trip last week. I had a great dinner at Cunetto House of Pasta. I started with toasted ravioli, dinner was Ditalini con Piselli (ditalini with white butter sauce green onions and peas). My salad was the Insalata di Pomodoro (sliced tomato & onions with anchovies & house dressing). I recommend this restaurant as an excellent example of the best of The Hill.

Akavar-

I told ya!

Next time you go to St Louis, check out Kaldi's Coffee House for a great cup of Joe!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/02/07 13:40:51 (permalink)
Hhmmm...

Wandering - I never said you were wrong. I just suggested that if a meal does not meet your expectations that you state that fact and let it go.

I would like to get feedback from other toasted ravioli enthusiasts regarding my comparison of Cunetto and Rigazzi's.

Cunetto - This is the traditional St. Louis toasted ravioli. A pastry crust that becomes nice and flaky when deep fried and a moderate amount of meat filling. (I found a piece of bone in my filling that was the size of a thumb tack, but did not consider that this spoiled the ravioli. Cunetto buys their ravioli and is at the mercy of the supplier.)

The ravioli is served with with a meat sauce and dusted with parmesian cheese. Although some of the cheese melts onto the raviloi the melted cheese does not completely cover the raviolis.

Rigazzi's - This is an alternate presentation of toasted ravioli. Rigazzi's also buys their ravioli from a local vendor on The Hill. They use a thin skinned ravioli that is stuffed with meat. It seemed like there was much more meat than the traditional ravioli at Cunnetto. Also, the crust was not anywhere near as flaky as Cunetto. the meat sauce competes with the ravioli for the amount of meat it contains.

Rigazzi's also melts most of the parmesian cheese over the ravioli. In traditional Italian cuisine there is an item called a frico. This is a sprinkling hard cheese, usually parmesian or Romano, that is melted in a medium heat skillet until it melts into a semi solid disc. I would say that Rigazzi's melts their cheese unto the ravioli in a manner that is reminiscent of a frico.

Wandering - I have never wanted to say I was right and you were wrong. Also I have never let our dialog degenerate into a flame war. All I have attempted to do is say that although you did not like the toasted ravioli you had at Rigazzis' does not mean that there are people who like it and consider it a valid variation on a St. Louis classic.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10203
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/02/07 17:56:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

Hhmmm...

Wandering - I never said you were wrong. I just suggested that if a meal does not meet your expectations that you state that fact and let it go.

I would like to get feedback from other toasted ravioli enthusiasts regarding my comparison of Cunetto and Rigazzi's.

Cunetto - This is the traditional St. Louis toasted ravioli. A pastry crust that becomes nice and flaky when deep fried and a moderate amount of meat filling. (I found a piece of bone in my filling that was the size of a thumb tack, but did not consider that this spoiled the ravioli. Cunetto buys their ravioli and is at the mercy of the supplier.)

The ravioli is served with with a meat sauce and dusted with parmesian cheese. Although some of the cheese melts onto the raviloi the melted cheese does not completely cover the raviolis.

Rigazzi's - This is an alternate presentation of toasted ravioli. Rigazzi's also buys their ravioli from a local vendor on The Hill. They use a thin skinned ravioli that is stuffed with meat. It seemed like there was much more meat than the traditional ravioli at Cunnetto. Also, the crust was not anywhere near as flaky as Cunetto. the meat sauce competes with the ravioli for the amount of meat it contains.

Rigazzi's also melts most of the parmesian cheese over the ravioli. In traditional Italian cuisine there is an item called a frico. This is a sprinkling hard cheese, usually parmesian or Romano, that is melted in a medium heat skillet until it melts into a semi solid disc. I would say that Rigazzi's melts their cheese unto the ravioli in a manner that is reminiscent of a frico.

Wandering - I have never wanted to say I was right and you were wrong. Also I have never let our dialog degenerate into a flame war. All I have attempted to do is say that although you did not like the toasted ravioli you had at Rigazzis' does not mean that there are people who like it and consider it a valid variation on a St. Louis classic.

Akavar,

All I said is that I think you would like the Toasted Ravioli at Cunneto. If you see past posts from others, many people raved about Cunetto. Unfortunately it was the other way around about Rigazzi's. If you look back at my initial trip report in 2003 you will see that I referred to Rigazzi's toasted ravioli as cold and stale. Perhaps that was an isolated incident, either way it stuck out as bad memory. People seem to get offended if you put a restaurant that they like down, but they shouldn't. Some people on the forum, in fact one poster comes to mind from the Boston area(who thankfully hasn't posted here lately) would deliberately put a restaurant or type of cuisine down that I raved about just because it came from me. Ironically they would keep quiet if someone else similarly posted about or in one case, the Sterns actually posted a review of said restaurant(s) and there were no comments at all from the peanut gallery.

lucassal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/03/04 19:49:58 (permalink)
Originally posted by joekirkwood

Also, let's not forget the beginning of this thread - St. Louis specialties.

Does anyone have any stand out favorites that serve these St. Louis specialties?

-- St. Louis Style Pizza (very thin crust, provelone cheese (sticks to teeth), cut into squares)

I like Imo's.

-- Toasted Raviolis (raviolis battered and deep fried)

I like Lombardo's.

-- St. Louis Salad - various versions of an Italian salad served around town

I like Rich & Charlie's or the Pasta House.

calamariveal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/03/06 19:10:30 (permalink)
Best site for independent restaurants in area is www.saucemagazine.com
BTW, Blues City Deli-outstanding!
mjsneddon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/05/25 14:03:37 (permalink)
Crown Candy Kitchen!

A fun place! It is like stepping back into one's childhood (if you are at least 50 years old). The sandwiches were very good but the MALTED MILK SHAKES were unbelievable! Having one of their MALTED milk shakes is just about the most fun you can have without having to take a shower afterwards!

The place has been there since 1913. Unfortunately, the neighborhood has not aged as gracefully as the restaurant. We arrived after nightfall and the surrounding area is a little scary. But I still recommend it!
mjsneddon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/05/25 14:23:26 (permalink)
I forgot to say where Crown Candy Kitchen is located.

1401 Saint Louis Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63106
(314) 621-9650
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12018
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/05/25 15:16:05 (permalink)
mjsneddon-
You are braver than me. I love the Crown Candy Kitchen and would never visit St. Louis without stopping in. But, I most likely would not go at night, no matter how bad I was jonesing for ice cream.
The Mikado
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/06/12 18:25:28 (permalink)
Thanks for the Sauce Magazine link. WILL USE IT.

Ted Drewe's is an experience. One we NEVER MISS when in St. Louis...and generally, we never miss it several times in one trip.

We also hit up the Hill. Always and generally first thing, even before we go to the hotel or to whomever's house at which we're holing up.

I like Cunetto's Linguini Tutto Mare...that's what I always get. But I've eaten at SEVERAL Hill places and rarely had anything but great food.

That one place with all the statues of celebrities is okay, but not all it's cracked up to be. Can't remember the name.

olivia
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/09 13:57:27 (permalink)
hey do u have children? where do they like to eat in st louis? or surrounding areas?

how about smokey bones/ yias yias? espindos? annie guns? the smokehouse? how about pf changs? or bahama breeze? have u tried stephanias in o fallon mo or ethyls in ofallon also?
have u tried seamus mcdaniels?
Kaylynna23
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/19 14:28:22 (permalink)
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, but I had to write & say that it sure jogged my memory to see references to Rusty's (in Mt. Vernon, IL) Giant City, Carbondale, Marion, etc. To the person who posted about Rusty's...you will know what "Henny Penny Fried-Chicken" is about. :) I love reading all of the posts & info. I googled Blue Springs Restaurant & got so much more than what I started out with. (a good thing!) I'm going to eat at Blue Springs for the first time this coming weekend. It looks like it's a good choice.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/24 16:43:49 (permalink)
Does anyone know of a Diner located in midtown on a corner that was run by Korean brother & sister? The brother was a chef at a 4 star hotel and cooked everything with passion and perfection.His omeltes were incredible.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/24 17:03:46 (permalink)
Please add Wittmond Restuarant-Hotel in Brussels, IL. This is the ultimate Sunday brucn road trip from St. Louis. Go across the mississippi and travel north u p the river along piasa trail. cross the ferry and take your time winding through the area. There's even a state park you can stop by. Then enjoy a great homestyle brunch at the wittmond. bowls of food keep arriving and the selections include everything your grnadma made.....eat like the hawaiians...they don't eat til they're full, they eat til they're tired. aloha.
rainsux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/28 18:04:53 (permalink)
> Nacho Mama's

What's this place; a fusion of mexican & soul food?

-doug
rainsux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/28 18:14:42 (permalink)
I'll be attending a tradeshow in Collinsville this week, arriving
Sunday night.

Anyone have recommendations for the east side of the river?

-doug
Kaylynna23
Junior Burger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/28 19:36:27 (permalink)
Someone posted earlier that "Lottawatta" in Fairview Hts. is good.
DetectDave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/30 01:49:49 (permalink)
Porters there at the convention center has darn good brunch.
Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/30 18:31:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

Does anyone know of a Diner located in midtown on a corner that was run by Korean brother & sister? The brother was a chef at a 4 star hotel and cooked everything with passion and perfection.His omeltes were incredible.

The only diner I know of run by Koreans is U City Grill on The Loop in University City.

Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/30 18:32:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rainsux

> Nacho Mama's

What's this place; a fusion of mexican & soul food?

-doug

Nope. Just Mexican.
ChasingChe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/30 18:33:48 (permalink)
A few comments before we get started - having worked in the food industry here :)
quote:
Originally posted by joekirkwood

Off the top of my head we have as St. Louis Original dishes:
-- St. Louis Style Pizza (very thin crust, provelone cheese)

This, my dear friend, is PROVEL cheese - a blend of several cheeses most like white american than anything else known to the culinary realm.

quote:
-- Toasted Raviolis (raviolis battered and deep fried)

They are tossed only in bread crumbs, not battered, and fried - and the plural is still ravioli :D

I'll carry on in a second :)
ChasingChe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/07/30 18:58:40 (permalink)
By far the best thin crust, provel-topped pizza in St. Louis is Guido's. They used to be located on Morganford, but have since gone back to the owner's Spanish roots and have added tapas to their menu. The pizza is divinely cheesy - the kind that sticks to the back of your teeth when you bite in. Cecil, Imo's, Elicia's - all adequate, but incomparable. Now can be found on The Hill.

Toasted Ravioli can be found just about anywhere. Try the Hill - Zia's and Cunetto (though over-crowded these days) are great.

Hodak's is very smoky, and in a bad neighborhood, but there's something about it. The additions made a few years ago have helped them move people through a bit more quickly.

Ricardo's in Lafayette Square is divine italian food on a much less populated street than you'll find on the Hill.

The best donuts used to be at the Donut Drive-in on morganfod road, but since going 24 hours they are lacking. Now, I'd give my vote to LaMar's - a KC chain that has two locations here (Olive and Brentwood) and they are heaven. Try a custard filled LaMar's bar with chocolate icing or a maple bar.

The best deli sandwiches are to be found at Mom's Deli on Jameson in south city. Try the Mom's special or a hot beef and philly (with gravy and pickles and onions).

Vivian's in St. Charles is heaven on a plate. Their rotating menu rocks my world and the sherbet and champagne that come with every dinner are a warming touch.

Best Japanese used to be Ted and Teiko's - but since being bought out by Sansui, it's gone rather boring.

Best teppanyaki is Kobe on Olive.

Best chinese is probably Wei Hong on Grand - char sui bao is amazing.

Bully's is in Edwardsville and Columbia. We went there last night, actually. I found their sauces to be vastly superior to the Bandana's brands, but not quite Super Smokers in it's original form. The beans were runny, the pork tender and firm.

Rusty's is in downtown Edwardsville.

Woody's in Alton has the Metro East's best fried chicken.

Tsevis's has a great gyro and fun dining room in their Bayless location's basement or renovated house upstairs.

Best frozen custard is Bobby's over in Maryville, IL - better than Ted's - sorry to say (having grown up on the South Side). Try their caramel apples in the fall.

The best soda fountain is no longer Crown Candy - hunt down Dr. Jazz in Lebanon, IL for the best chocolate malt of your life (but skip the hand cut fries, IME).

Best chili is at McAllister's deli (a few locations now, I believe - Manchester Rd. Olive, and another on Manchester) - their vegetarian chili is amazing. Get it on the taco salad or a huge baked potato. Their veggie sandwich on flatbread is to die for and their sweet tea will give you a cavity just walking in the room - the way sweet tea was supposed to be.

Hacienda on Manchester has adequate mexican, or try Arcelia's on Lafayette Square. Zaptata's Swansea location is my favorite, but there is also one in Collinsville and a new one on Manchester.

The former owner of Super Smokers opened a new restaurant in O'Fallon, IL called 17th Street - the pulled pork is like air, so finely shredded. The potato salad is lacking with it's bizarre sour cream and onion potato chip flavoring, but the beans are a throwback to the building's early years as SS. Try the fried pickles and crawfish, if nothing else. The bread pudding is divine with praline sauce and the seasonal cucumber tomato salad is refreshing. The smoked chicken is moist beyond comparison with a caramelized rub melded into the exterior.

Sadly, the best ribs are at Texas Roadhouse - a blasted chain. No one here seems to know ribs.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/08/27 14:20:23 (permalink)
Best Mexican: Ruiz's in Florissant, MO a northern suburb of St. Louis.The tortilla was thin and ever so crisp and delicate. The beef was moist and spiced mildly, the toppings were piled on in an orderly fashion not like a garden gone wild and the picante sauce had a nice garlic bite to it. Dip the thing in their slasa verde and you are one step away from heaven.hey have grown over the past 30 some years in a small strip mall that their enchalada empire has slowly, but steadily consumed its neighbors until they became the sole tennant.
Best Sushi: Nobu's. His original sushi bar was in U-City, but he has since moved. He is one of those chefs that you hope and pray never forsakes his kitchen for Food Network. Awesome sushi carefully prepared in the traditional manner. No culinary grad wannabes in this place doing weird things with prefab wakame salad...
Best Burger: Chuck-a-burger; what a hoot. not only the ambiance, but the drive in taste is right outta the 50's. Authentic right down to the food packaging....broke da mouth, brah.
germancook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2007/09/27 00:54:46 (permalink)

Best German food : A St.Louis Landmark, the famous Bevo Mill , located on Gravois at Morganford ,has new owners and just started to serve German dishes for dinner.Execellent food .: A German sampler, Rouladen ,Sauerbraten ,different Schnitzel and what I liked,the Hasenpfeffer, Bevo's famous sweet-sour rabbit,topped in a wine sauce. The Applestrudel with Ice cream is a treat. They also have American food,a very large menu. The portions are huge and not expensive. They are open seven days a week 7am to 2 pm for Breakfast and lunch,Saturday and Sunday Brunch 9 am to 2 pm, Open for dinner Sun.,Mon.,Tues.,Wed. 4.30 to 9 pm.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8055
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2017/12/05 23:55:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2017/12/06 08:22:24
playgolf
O'Connell's-burger, roast beef sandwich

After spending a number of weeks in St. Louis this year I finally made it to O'Connell's Pub during my last visit.

The interior is suitably dark.

My dinner associate started with a bowl of the cream of artichoke soup.  I did not partake, as I do not voluntarily eat thistles.

One very good medium-rare burger with a generous amount of Swiss cheese.

MilwFoodLovers said, "Go to O'Connell's and have the roast beef."  The Travelin' Man said, "Go to O'Connell's and have the roast beef."  So I went to O'Connell's and had the roast beef, and I was glad I did.  It was definitely on the rare side of medium-rare and we really liked it; it had a nice beef flavor and a good chew.  If I had to speculate I'd guess that the slices came from the top round and probably could've been taken to medium and still been just fine, and possibly a bit more tender.  Between O'Connell's and Lion's Choice there's no excuse for not finding a decent roast beef sandwich in St. Louis.

post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2017/12/05 23:57:01
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11500
RE: St. Louis Favorites 2017/12/06 00:45:41 (permalink)
You'll eat parts of chickens but not thistles?

Did you ask for no vegetables on the cheeseburger or is that an onion slice under the bun top?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5