St. Louis dinner with Buddy

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8455
2017/11/05 14:14:00 (permalink)

St. Louis dinner with Buddy

Last month while I was in St. Louis, Buddy Roadhouse passed through town on his way back from Kansas City so we got together for a Wednesday night dinner.  I'd been wanting to try Krieger's Hometown Sports Bar in the suburb of Ballwin so we agreed to meet there.

Krieger's is in a shopping center on the southeast corner of MO-141 and Big Bend Rd.  Despite the construction it wasn't hard to get a parking space.

We started with a generous portion of fried mushrooms.

And some homemade toasted ravioli (AKA "ravs").  Krieger's has been around for a long time and when the current owner took over in 2015 the move was made to make as much as possible from scratch.

Chris had the meatloaf dinner, which I think might've been the special of the day.  I had a taste and it was very good.

Buddy had the grouper sandwich, which AFAIK gained his approval.

My burger with mushrooms and Swiss was well-made, juicy, and cooked to a nice medium-rare.

Krieger's may be a sports bar at heart but the food is definitely more than that.  And after dinner we wrapped things up with a visit to the Ted Drewes on Chippewa.

6 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10356
    Re: St. Louis dinner with Buddy 2017/11/05 14:38:17 (permalink)
    Everything looks great!
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5555
    Re: St. Louis dinner with Buddy 2017/11/05 18:02:37 (permalink)
    You didn't have time to road trip to Springfield to check everything out with Buddy?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8455
    Re: St. Louis dinner with Buddy 2017/11/06 21:08:22 (permalink)
    Well, as much, um, fun as that might be I did have to be at work fairly early the next day.  Plus he was on this crazy sugar high from Ted Drewes and I just didn't feel safe.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6121
    Re: St. Louis dinner with Buddy 2017/11/07 02:04:10 (permalink)
    You'll notice the ChickenMan has mentioned Ted Drewes twice now and not once described how wonderful his Frozen Custard was.  That's because he is a total freakshow who doesn't like Frozen Custard!  So, while his friend Chris and I were luxuriating in the rich satisfying flavors of a couple of Ted Drewes Concretes, he was standing around looking at his watch, wondering when we'd wrap things up and go home.

That's okay, I forgive him.  He turned me on to Viviano's Mushroom Brie Soup, which I enjoyed the next day as an appetizer leading up to a fabulous BBQ lunch at Salt & Smoke.  This St. Louis place has some pretty good grub.  We may need to spend a little more time exploring next time we pass through town.

Buddy
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10427
    Re: St. Louis dinner with Buddy 2017/11/07 07:47:02 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    You'll notice the ChickenMan has mentioned Ted Drewes twice now and not once described how wonderful his Frozen Custard was.  That's because he is a total freakshow who doesn't like Frozen Custard!  So, while his friend Chris and I were luxuriating in the rich satisfying flavors of a couple of Ted Drewes Concretes, he was standing around looking at his watch, wondering when we'd wrap things up and go home.

That's okay, I forgive him.  He turned me on to Viviano's Mushroom Brie Soup, which I enjoyed the next day as an appetizer leading up to a fabulous BBQ lunch at Salt & Smoke.  This St. Louis place has some pretty good grub.  We may need to spend a little more time exploring next time we pass through town.

Buddy

I've got to confess, after our last visit to Ted Drewe's in October I was less than impressed.
    Probably for the following reasons
    1. It was followed by Kopp's a week earlier
    2. I was already incredibly full from Mama's BBQ Express and O'Connell's
    3. Once again when we asked for  a "medium" we were served  a "medium" in large cup (apparently  all they have now are large cups) which made for an really crappy photo.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4989
    Re: St. Louis dinner with Buddy 2017/11/07 07:59:21 (permalink)
    I'll take Kopp's over Ted Drewes any day...

Next time, send the ChickenMan a half block west for a ST. Paul...that'll make him appreciate Ted's!  
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5