St. Louis to Minnesota?

Author
BellaK
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/07/16 20:32:58 (permalink)

St. Louis to Minnesota?

Where should we eat? Driving from St. Louis to Bloomington, MN then to U.S.- Canadian border along Lake Superior. Any suggestions?

10 Replies Related Threads

hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/17 08:55:12 (permalink)
    If you are heading up the "Avenue of The Saints" area, the best tenderloin sandwich in the world (IMHO) is located at Jonesy's in Solon, Iowa, just outside of Cedar Rapids. There may be an additional location in the area now. Definitely worth the diversion. Also, stop by Cabela's just south of the Twin Cities, not necessarily for the food, but an amazing outdoor store.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/17 09:00:02 (permalink)
    When you stop in Minneapolis, there is a great place in the Mall of America called the "Twin Cities Grill" Their specialty is Walleye cooked several different ways. I always get mine fried, but it is available broiled and some other ways.

Their bread is great and the mall makes a great place for the family.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13822
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/17 09:21:38 (permalink)
    You mentioned that you were going to drive to the Canadian border along Superior. If you make it to Thunderbay, it is the home to a large group of Finnish folks. They have a great restaurant downtown called Hoito's. Also another ethnic restaurant downtown is the Scandanavian House.

I have been to Thunder Bay several times. Great old hotel downtown that has great views of the harbor.

You WILL enjoy both.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/17 10:11:40 (permalink)
    Along Highway 61 on the Superior Shore, I would suggest Birch Terrace in Grand Marais for dinner or the Angry Trout, in Tofte the Bluefin Bay resort has several good restaurants, the Lutsen resort has a great view of the Lake from it's dining room and good food. Although I can't spell this place but you'll have no trouble finding it as it's on 61, Nanniboujo Lodge has a great dinning room decorated in Cree Indian style, and in Canada, just before you get to Thunder Bay, Neebing Road House has great food. That whole route from Duluth to Thunder bay is a trip within its self. BTW, if you are looking for a place to stay, I have stayed many times at Bluefin Bay and at Thomsonite Beach Lodge, both are right on the Lake. You might enjoy this website.

http://www.northshoreinfo.com/act/

Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/17 16:39:04 (permalink)
    Hawkeyejohn, Joensy's is in Center Point, not Solon. (Maybe they were in Solon at one time, but they're definitely only in Center Point now.) Good tenderloin, but for my money Oscar's in Hiawatha (I-380 @ Boyson Rd) is better. Great tenderloins, usually 3-4 homemade soups and pies, and their breakfasts are both to die FOR and FROM.
    BellaK
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/17 22:36:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions! I hope we can try some of the restuarants.

KlandO1s, thanks for the north shore website link. We hadn't seen that website - lots of good info.
    ParadiseMissouri
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2003/07/19 07:24:54 (permalink)
    I live in St. Louis and often drive to Minneapolis, and I always stop in Fairfield, Iowa. 1. It has some wonderful houses. 2. It has a fine Indian restaurant just off the town square. 3. It has a Thai deli on the town square, which I am told is pretty good.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2004/05/03 19:11:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

You mentioned that you were going to drive to the Canadian border along Superior. If you make it to Thunderbay, it is the home to a large group of Finnish folks. They have a great restaurant downtown called Hoito's. Also another ethnic restaurant downtown is the Scandanavian House.

I have been to Thunder Bay several times. Great old hotel downtown that has great views of the harbor.

You WILL enjoy both.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Just got back yesterday from spending the weekend in Thunder Bay. The Hoito restaurant is a dining experience. Great pancakes like the Sundance mentioned; I had a Finnish dish that was super tender chunks of pork and beef cooked in their own juice. Wow. Wish I had my camera. A dining counter and a restaurant full of everyone in town. A definitely must visit and a hearty seconding of Sundancer's recommendation.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2004/05/03 21:21:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hastyman

Hawkeyejohn, Joensy's is in Center Point, not Solon. (Maybe they were in Solon at one time, but they're definitely only in Center Point now.) Good tenderloin, but for my money Oscar's in Hiawatha (I-380 @ Boyson Rd) is better. Great tenderloins, usually 3-4 homemade soups and pies, and their breakfasts are both to die FOR and FROM.

I don't know about Joensy's in Center Point, but I ate this tendloin at Joensy's in Solon last month. It was sure good too.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: St. Louis to Minnesota? 2004/05/04 11:19:23 (permalink)
    Joensy's is undoubtedly still in Solon, on the west side of the highway. It's a Solon institution. A pretty good tenderloin sandwich, too. Definitely worth the stop.

Iowa has a few other great tenderloin joints. I made a week-long tour of the state once, just sampling tenderloin sandwiches.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5