Hot!State Fairs

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: State Fairs 2007/07/30 21:23:21 (permalink)

Hey Scorereader, and all other NY STATE Fair lovers :
It's because of all your good plugs about the NY State fair that I just booked my airline ticket today to Syracuse !!!!!
Got a great deal on Delta airlines. $138 round trip inc.taxes/fees from JFK to SYR. (I'll take a few buses from AC to get to JFK)

Going on Sept. 2nd for 2 good nights, returning Sept. 4th.
I'll have a complete trip report with lots of good pics.

I love state fairs, county fairs ,church fairs, you name it, but I've never been to the NY State one yet. Looking forward!
(I've gotta get my free potato , right?!!!)

Hey, what beef and chicken stuff is good there?

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3659
RE: State Fairs 2007/07/30 23:26:37 (permalink)
New at the Wisconsin State Fair starting this week is S'mores on a Stick, marshmallows and chocolate dipped in graham cracker batter then deep-fried and topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/01 14:14:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

New at the Wisconsin State Fair starting this week is S'mores on a Stick, marshmallows and chocolate dipped in graham cracker batter then deep-fried and topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

That is JUST WRONG!!!!

but I love it get me two please!
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12589
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/01 14:24:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by blizzardstormus

Buffetbuster, The World Pork Expo is a different event, which gives us Iowans another opportunity to 'pig out.'

Thanks for the correction. All this time I thought they were one and the same. The good people of Iowa sure know how to eat!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 779
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/01 14:37:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

It's because of all your good plugs about the NY State fair that I just booked my airline ticket today to Syracuse !!!!!
Got a great deal on Delta airlines. $138 round trip inc.taxes/fees from JFK to SYR. (I'll take a few buses from AC to get to JFK)

I love state fairs, county fairs ,church fairs, you name it, but I've never been to the NY State one yet. Looking forward!

Dinosaur BBQ has a stand there - need to ask more??

One of my favorite little exhibits that they do not have any more is the free demonstration of spaying and neutering they once had -very educational!

One very nice thing about the NYS Fair is that they allow beverage competition - no exclusive rights for Coke or Pepsi!

>>should be up there Aug 27th...
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1311
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/01 14:58:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef I have to chime in and talk about the Alaska State Fair. Aheeem. Besides the 90 lb. cabbages. the 60 lb. rutabagas, the vintage 1960 rides (Tilt-O-Whirl) and the mini Ferris Wheel, we have something I think is unique. It's called Rat Race.
There's a simple reason it's unique. They pulled that on Coney Island until they found out that holes that were bet lightly were baited, so the mouse would choose them. I don't go to any fair to get ripped off, especially not Alaska's which would be prohibitively out of my way at best.

Midway games are always rigged toward the operator, but there's still an element of fair play. I still don't spend time at the midway in any fair.
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/01 15:20:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich
I'm thinking of going to Illinois' State Fair, because there's a hook for a magazine article that could well get my writing career off the ground. Details later.

Hey Big Ugly Mich,
Would love details on Illinois and article... but hope you post about the fair here too! [I'm gonna subscribe to this topic so if you post somewhere else on it, please put a note in this topic. Thanks!!!]
stricken_detective
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2770
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/01 17:40:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Andoo

I cannot beleive no body has mentioned the Wisconsin State Fair coming up in West Allis. It is a veritable cornicopia of roadfood type eats with the Dairy building a "must visit". Nothing like their cream puffs, gyros, and roasted corn. Try the German food from Mader's booth,,, and of course, don't miss the beer tents.
um...
quote:
Originally posted by ME:

You don't go to the Wisconsin State Fair for the cheese. You go for the Cream PUFFFFFSSSSSSSSSSS, the flavored milk, and the racing pigs.

http://www.wistatefair.com/home/wsfp/[/br]
packerwmn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/02 11:04:23 (permalink)
I will be trying the new Deep Fried S'mores on a stick this Sunday and will report back.

My favorite thing from the WI state fair is not the cream puff - but the awesome brownie they sell in the Cream Puff building. Chocolate beats a hard roll with whipped cream any day!!!
Also the pork chop sandwich sold right out side the pig barns is always great!

Hopefully the weather is going to cooperate!
Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 987
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/02 14:59:09 (permalink)
At the Kansas State Fair, there are two main types of food vendors: the carnies who sell out of trailers and stands on the Midway, and the local, mostly church groups, who now have permanant locations in the new food court and used to have their own buildings. Do other States' Fairs have this type of split?

Except for the obligatatory Pronto Pup, I generally only eat at the locals' places when I go to the Fair to work at our Department's booth, like the KofC's pizza, Our Lady of Guadalupe's Mexican food, First Christian's Chicken and noodles, etc.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5600
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/02 19:23:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

that is awesome. you'll love it. For chicken, I suggest getting a Spiedie. This is a fabulous Binghamton, NY thing. Salamida's made this Binghamton area food a state wide thing.

Beef isn't very NY, except for Dinosaur BBQ, but I always get pork ribs, not beef. You must try the Dino BBQ though. Also Gianelli Sausage, Spiedies, Cheeses and dairy products (including ice cream). There's a nice Greek Stand (Stephen's)in the Pepsi International Pavillion and some wonderful italian pastries (cookies, cannolis, etc etc.) in there as well. And you should try NY State wines, especially the Reislings. There should be a tasting tent somewhere on the fairgrounds.

Hit the buildings for all sorts of stuff from Crafts, Art, free shows galore, I personally love the Expo building - but, then, I love infomercials - so I find it fun to watch the knife sellers, mop sellers, cleaning supply sellers, gadgets gadgets gadgets that apparantly I can't live without.

When I go to the NYS Fair, I usually do a non-midway day and a day that includes the midway. That way, I'm sure to see everything I want without wasting too much time riding James E Strates rides. But, there are some great local food tents in the midway area, so even on my non-midway day, I still manage to get near it.

I WISH I could go this year. But alas, I'm stuck in DC for performances and such. Have a blast.

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/02 20:17:09 (permalink)
Word is the NYS State Fair is suffering from the Bloomberg effect this year. No smoking anywhere on the grounds. Of course, all the animals can emit all the methane they can produce. I suppose by next year the animals will have to be outfitted with a cattle-lytic converter as uncomfortable that may be to the animals.

Welcome to the very rusty Empire State stranger.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/02 20:18:29 (permalink)
Ellen4641 for chicken try Baker's chicken coop, they have been at the NYS fair for over 50 years.
The most popular food at the fair are Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches and fried pizza dough. I prefer Santillo's over Gianelli's for sausage.
The sand sculpture will be finished, it's in the horticulture bldg. you shouldn't miss it or the butter sculpture in the dairy bldg. one of my favorite exhibits are the quilts in the arts bldg. before you go, go to the fair's website and look at the map at www.nysfair.org or you probably won't find the Iroqouis village or the clysdales and percherons. You are going to have a great time. I'm flying in from north texas (dallas-ft worth) the week before. I'm planning on being there on the 24th but it depends on the weather. Take my advise and wear comfortable shoes, lots of walking involved.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/02 20:21:01 (permalink)
Greyghost, smoking is permitted in designated areas
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1311
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/08 11:14:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ceciflinn Hey Big Ugly Mich,
Would love details on Illinois and article... but hope you post about the fair here too! [I'm gonna subscribe to this topic so if you post somewhere else on it, please put a note in this topic. Thanks!!!]
I'm going on Monday and Tuesday. I am now a professional writer. Well, at least someone fell for the contents of my query letter.

I'll go via Joliet so I can see the Opera House. Fortunately, I'm from Wisconsin, so it's actually on my way. I'll buzz through Oak Ridge Cemetery to see the new war memorials, then take a shot or two of Shea's and Cozy Dog and see if I can't use them in the future.
dug
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/09 15:13:41 (permalink)
state fairs much like this topic are timeless.
i just visited the wisconsin state fair with friends and enjoyed a delicious pulled pork sandwich from rupena's,a refreshing strawberry smoothie somewhere on the north side of the expo center.saw the magnificent budweiser clydesdales and witnessed a hilarious dog race at the coliseum.my only regret is that i didn't try the grilled cheese or cream puffs although i did bring home some dried cherries,goat cheese and maple syrup.
god bless our great country!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3677
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/09 18:48:35 (permalink)
Dug, Rupena's also serves a dynamite chicken dinner and the pig races are not to be missed. The cream puffs are a "must have."
dug
Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/09 19:11:47 (permalink)
chicagostyledog,i did see someone sitting next to me with the chicken dinner and i must admit i did have a twinge of entre envy !
gotta go,another friend is reporting from the indiana state fair between mouthfulls of sweet corn,pork tenderloin and corndogs!
life is good!
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1443
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/09 22:21:09 (permalink)
Hey, Alice Cooper is performing at our state fair! If the food is half as good...cool
cecif
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 03:56:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly Mich

quote:
Originally posted by ceciflinn Hey Big Ugly Mich,
I'm going on Monday and Tuesday. I am now a professional writer. Well, at least someone fell for the contents of my query letter.

I'll go via Joliet so I can see the Opera House. Fortunately, I'm from Wisconsin, so it's actually on my way. I'll buzz through Oak Ridge Cemetery to see the new war memorials, then take a shot or two of Shea's and Cozy Dog and see if I can't use them in the future.

Excellent! Are you going to post a trip report?? Congrats on the writing gig!!
cecif
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 03:58:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Dug, Rupena's also serves a dynamite chicken dinner and the pig races are not to be missed. The cream puffs are a "must have."

I was wondering myself how Dug managed to read this forum & skip the cream puffs...
dug
Cheeseburger
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 09:47:58 (permalink)
beleive me it was very hard to break away from their gravitational pull and i do regret not trying one[does anybody have any glucophage?].
holding them like precious treasures i saw people carrying them away by the dozen,small children flushed and sugarbuzzed with cream all over thier cherubic faces and behind the kitchens huge show windows sat racks and racks of empty pastry shells waiting to be filled.
sugar coma be damned i'm having one next year!
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 10:11:49 (permalink)
MMMMMMM...Teriaki Ostrich on a stick, and many others.

Minnesota State fair on a Stick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5Lr2IhB_o

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 17:02:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dug

beleive me it was very hard to break away from their gravitational pull and i do regret not trying one[does anybody have any glucophage?].
holding them like precious treasures i saw people carrying them away by the dozen,small children flushed and sugarbuzzed with cream all over thier faces and through the kichens show windows sat racks and racks of empty pastry shells waiting to be filled.
sugar coma be damned i'm having one next year!

I got some insulin you could have used
El Chorizo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 17:12:47 (permalink)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, Alice Cooper is performing at our state fair! If the food is half as good...cool

My God, has Alice sunk so low that he's doing state fairs now ? I thought his time was spent doing celebrity pro am's these days. [|)]
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 17:50:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ynotryme

Ellen4641 for chicken try Baker's chicken coop, they have been at the NYS fair for over 50 years.
The most popular food at the fair are Italian sausage and pepper sandwiches and fried pizza dough. I prefer Santillo's over Gianelli's for sausage.

I'll DEFINITELY try Baker's chicken coop! (I just hope they did'nt "fly the coop" after 50 years) (you've got me salivating already!) I'm a big carnivore; beef and chicken...

I don't go for sausage, but I'll look for that fried dough place.

And Coney Island Lou, thanks for letting me know that the Dinasour BBQ has a booth there. I'll check it out, for sure!

I wish you fellow Roadfooders could be there "beefing" up with me!!

ellen in nj
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 17:54:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

that is awesome. you'll love it. For chicken, I suggest getting a Spiedie. This is a fabulous Binghamton, NY thing. Salamida's made this Binghamton area food a state wide thing.

Beef isn't very NY, except for Dinosaur BBQ, but I always get pork ribs, not beef. You must try the Dino BBQ though. Also Gianelli Sausage, Spiedies, Cheeses and dairy products (including ice cream). There's a nice Greek Stand (Stephen's)in the Pepsi International Pavillion and some wonderful italian pastries (cookies, cannolis, etc etc.) in there as well. And you should try NY State wines, especially the Reislings. There should be a tasting tent somewhere on the fairgrounds

I WISH I could go this year. But alas, I'm stuck in DC for performances and such. Have a blast.

thanks so much scorereader for all your hot tips.
I'll definitely try a spiedie....never had one before, although I've heard of them..

reminds me of when I was in Nebraska, and tried a Runza...

ellen
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6817
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 18:15:51 (permalink)
Here is the Food Finder for the upcoming Minnesota State Fair starting August 23. Feast your heart out.

http://gopher.mnstatefair.org/foodfinder/
HPlatz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/10 23:38:40 (permalink)
Allow me to include the PA Farm Show, which is the Pennsylvania State Fair for all intents and purposes. It is held indoors during the 2nd week of January in Harrisburg. The Bloomsburg Fair is all in all, probably a better event with a lot more food choices and better weather but the Farm Show has a good food court including a great mushroom stand offering deep fried shrooms, shroom salad, and fresh mushrooms, of which I am a big fan. They have a great dairy stand with the best milkshakes you'd want in January in Frozen Hell, PA. If you're stuck in PA in mid-January, try the PA Farm Show and eat up!

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/papreferred/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=142761
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
RE: State Fairs 2007/08/11 08:28:50 (permalink)
I love our State Fair( Wisconsin) but have become so annoyed at the prices.While I do go there to enjoy the livestock, shows,exhibits, etc..I do eat while I am there.The other day I bought a soft pretzel and a bottle of water-$7.50!!!!Egads!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5