Helpful ReplySteaks and customers

Author
jajarino68
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
2018/03/13 08:16:45 (permalink)

Steaks and customers

There seems to be a practice of requesting a customer to cut into their steak upon arrival to their table to verify it is cooked to their liking?

Is this becoming an industry standard by restaurants or is it isolated?
RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/03/13 08:57:25 (permalink)
Well I can't speak for the states any more, but doing this outside the states would be extremely rude.  

The best practice is to return to the table soon after the steaks have been cut to ascertain the steak is cooked properly by offering any additional service required by the wait staff....Is your steak cooked to your liking...can I offer you anything else?  This cuts short most complaints after the steak is half or more consumed.

From personal experience I always check my entrée for proper cooking immediately, especially seafood which I find can be overcooked, and report it back before even taking one bite.  Nothing worse here than getting a huge plate of tiger prawns that have been turned to rubber by neglect on a grill!
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2654
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/03/13 11:13:07 (permalink)
I've had it happen, but not often. I agree with Rod's method, but it takes a top notch wait staff to know when to check. Sometimes they check too early, just to get it over with, and others wait too long. It's (IMO) not a "time" thing, as in "3 minute check", but a server watching, from a distance to watch eater reaction, and then checking with the client after one or 2 bites of the main dish have been eaten.

Better restaurants have the professional servers, and IMO, you should expect more there. When you are being served by a high school kid, at a Roadfood place, IMO it is a time to make a gentle suggestion if you are not happy, but if he asks you to cut into the steak, just do it.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3035
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/03/13 16:12:40 (permalink)
This could have something to do with the customer eating on the steak and contaminating it so it shouldn't go back on the grill or broiler. If all the people cut into the steak then no one is sending anything back for further cooking. 
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/03/14 11:22:47 (permalink)
Having you check your steak when it arrives seems very practical.  I wish more places would do that.  It's much better than having to wait for the server to come back.  Some come back immediately, and I haven't even cut into it yet. Other might disappear for a long time.  The "finer" restaurants, where the server is watching from a distance to see your reaction..... well, that just seems creepy.  I don't want servers watching me eat.  I want them to doing other things like taking meal orders, etc. 
Bravo to the steak check places.  That would save me a lot of time waiting for serves to come take my still mooing steak back to be re-fired.   Alternatively, I would not mind if the cook sliced into the middle of it in the kitchen before it was brought out. No, not take a sample, but just cut a small slice into it to look inside. That would eliminate all excuses for the kitchen / staff to be serving a wrongly cooked steak. 

Glenn   

1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5522
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/03/15 21:12:12 (permalink)
Why would I want my steak cut up?
I didn't even want that as a kid, much less as a senior citizen. Well, they do have a lot in common, but I stand by my point.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3035
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/03/16 09:22:15 (permalink)
I've Managed steaks houses in my early years in the restaurant business. We did 500 covers a night. The broiler guys/gals know how to broil steaks. If I had a chef have to cut into a steak to see how it's cooked I would have fired them. 
   Like I said in another post, if someone eats on a steak and sends it back, the kitchen can't put it back on the grill with other steaks. You can't put half eaten food with other peoples food. This is a Health Dept issue and also a liability issue. 
   Just think of how screwed up the steak ordering system became when Outback Steak House came to America. You ask for a steak MR and the waitstaff tells you "Our MR is R" WTF, how stupid is that. 

Just be happy we can still walk into a Steak House without taking off our shoes and go through a metal detector in order to use a steak knife in public.
02sbxstr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/04/09 17:44:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Glenn1234 2018/04/09 23:20:02
1bbqboy
Why would I want my steak cut up?
I didn't even want that as a kid, much less as a senior citizen. Well, they do have a lot in common, but I stand by my point.

Never been to Peter Luger have you? The porterhouse steaks are sliced before being served, and they seem to have a pretty good following.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 831
Re: Steaks and customers 2018/04/09 23:34:22 (permalink)
Good point on Peter Luger.  Also, for the places that don't cut it up, it is possible to stick the sharp end of a knife (or a thermometer) into a steak to tell the doneness without it being "cut up".  To me, that beats having to send back undercooked steaks.   

Glenn

Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5