Sunny Boy Orange Drink?

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1635
2015/07/13 09:03:26 (permalink)

Sunny Boy Orange Drink?

The other day a bunch of friends and I got into a discussion about an orange drink we all remembered drinking as kids in Brooklyn in the late 50's and early 60's. In came in a megaphone-shaped wax container. After some back and forth, one of us finally recalled the name as Sunny Boy.

Off to the web for further research. It's amazing, but other than a memory or two from local blogs like the one linked below, there seems to be no trace of this product on the Internet. No pictures that I could find, no info on distribution (I guess it was local to Brooklyn, but it was everywhere in Brooklyn back then), or whatever happened to it.

So, does anyone else remember it? Can anyone find any links to pictures, etc?

Here's a blog which makes reference to it:
http://www.coneyislandhistory.org/mrconey/?p=432

4 Replies Related Threads

ken8038
    Re: Sunny Boy Orange Drink? 2015/08/09 19:23:45 (permalink)
    I see no one has replied to this but I'll keep plugging. I found a post from several years ago on Chowhound. Based on this it now seems that the orange drink we remembered in the Cylindrical Cone-shaped container was called Sun Dew, not Sunny Boy which apparently came later and was sold in small milk-carton type containers.

Still, with that new knowledge, I'm still not able to find even a picture of it anywhere.

Amazing with everything that is out there, and with a product so ubiquitous in Brooklyn in the late 50's/early 60's, no trace of it exists online.  
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7501
    Re: Sunny Boy Orange Drink? 2015/08/27 17:24:57 (permalink)
    You mean

ken8038
    Re: Sunny Boy Orange Drink? 2015/09/09 11:55:59 (permalink)
    Thanks, I just noticed your post. Actually that's not it. That's Sunny Boy, which apparently came a little later. In my 2nd post above I indicated that what I was trying to find out about was actually called Sun Dew Orange Drink and not Sunny Boy.

I think I'd need an administrator to change the thread title to Sun Dew Orange Drink, but I guess that would help.
    Grandpa Jones
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Sunny Boy Orange Drink? 2018/06/08 18:27:14 (permalink)
    Hi Ken

A few days ago my grandchildren were asking me about what I liked to eat and drink when I was their ages.  I mentioned Sunny Boy, my absolute, all time, favorite drink.  I was seven years old (63 years ago - you do the math) and living in Long Beach, CA. But I am not sure you and I remember the same thing.  Our Sunny Boy was a concentrated syrup that was mixed with water.  Here is the strange thing: I still remember the jingle that advertised it on TV:

Sunny Boy, Sunny Boy
    Here's a bottle of drinking joy
    Makes three quarts of pure delight
    Needs no sugar, tastes just right
    Sunny Boy, Sunny Boy
    Low in cost and so
    Giddy-Up Giddy-Up Giddy-Up go
    Buy Sunny Boy

Why do these sorts of things stick in my mind?

Much later, Vietnam 1969, I met a fellow Marine who also remembered the Sunny Boy jingle and we sang it together. It is one of my favorite memories.

I also remember buying bottle shaped, wax covered drinks. You'd bite of the wax and suck the juice out.  I don't recall the name of it however.

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5