Helpful ReplyHot!Surviving "Duncan Hines Family" Restaurants

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 19
Author
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1175
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/15 17:13:02 (permalink)
While his restaurant guide doesn't say very much about Weidmann's, Duncan Hines recommended this Meridian, Mississippi restaurant, which has been around since 1870.  Hines only said, "You can get an adequate meal here.  It is now run [1941] by the third generation of [the] Felix Weidmann family."  After looking over the menu on the restaurant's website, I'd say you will get more than an adequate meal there.  The Lemon Almond Pie looks tempting, and I hope the Bourbon Pie has enough bourbon in it.  You can never put too much alcohol in a dessert.

http://www.weidmanns1870.com/

post edited by Louis - 2017/01/15 17:18:30
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1151
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/15 17:38:12 (permalink)
Weidmann's is no longer owned by the family. They were sold a few years back to someone unrelated. They have, as far as I know, retained many of the menu items, but added more and went to a more upscale menu, as I have been told. I'm trying to remember, but I think Buffetbuster was by there a few years ago, post sale. I seem to remember a mention of it in a trip report or something.
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/15 17:43:26 (permalink)
Although the name is slightly different from that in Duncan Hines' restaurant guide, I believe this is the same place.  In Hines' guidebook the name of the restaurant is The Old Tavern in Arrow Rock, Missouri.  The name of the place currently is called J. Huston Tavern at Arrow Rock State Historic Site, which has been around since 1834.  I'll give Hines' description from his 1941 guidebook, and let you judge for yourself.

"The doors of this old building have never been closed to the visitor in more than one-hundred years, and by the left front door the slave block still remains.  It is maintained by the D.A.R. and they have modernized it throughout, adding a sunny enclosed dining porch.  The meals are old-fashioned and abundant.  If you phone Arrow Rock, Mo, No. 77, your dinner will be waiting for you when you arrive."

https://mostateparks.com/page/54070/dining

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7905
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/15 17:56:49 (permalink)
"Voted the "Best Fried Chicken in the State" by Rural Missouri readers in 2011."

Not that I'd trust Rural Missourians much more than as far as I can throw them (although the the meth-heads are surprisingly light), if I was going to the big shindig in KC in April I'd likely consider a detour.
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/15 18:04:30 (permalink)
Had it not been for Jane and Michael Stern's inclusion of the McDonald Tea Room in Gallatin, Missouri, in their 1992 edition of "Roadfood," I would have been as ignorant of Duncan Hines as most people in America.  They happened to mention it in passing in the review.  Six months later, I began researching what became my Duncan Hines biography.

According to this article, the McDonald Tea Room burned in 2001, just as the galleys for my book were being sent to me.  (It got the author's copy just after Christmas of that year, and it was sent to bookstores a couple of weeks later in January 2002.)  The article gives a pretty good idea of what Duncan Hines was like.

http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/article/20568243/duncan-hines-gets-dished-and-celebrated-sunday-at-central-library

And this is what I had to say about the McDonald Tea Room in my biography.  I laid out the story of how it came into existence and how Hines found it:

https://books.google.com/books?id=AyFmAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=%22McDonald+Tea+Room%22+%22Gallatin%22+%22Missouri%22+%22restaurants%22&source=bl&ots=1lth2fjQhv&sig=xPXsB4ya2EQ9HVwycmchN126fJs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitp8S9n8XRAhUp34MKHdvKARE4ChDoAQgZMAA#v=onepage&q=%22McDonald%20Tea%20Room%22%20%22Gallatin%22%20%22Missouri%22%20%22restaurants%22&f=false

post edited by Louis - 2017/01/15 18:07:57
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/24 19:43:03 (permalink)
When Duncan Hines first visited this Three Forks, Montana hotel and inn, it was called the New Sacajawea Inn.  Now it is the Sacajawea Hotel.  As Hines explained, "I say "new" because Mrs. Scott [the hostess] has made a new place out of this old inn, and today it is one that I am glad to recommend to my readers.  The meals are of the good, old-fashioned, sane type of cooking."

Located in an historic setting, the hotel has been around since 1910, and it seems like a place Duncan Hines would be  quite comfortable recommending even today.

http://sacajaweahotel.com/

Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/24 19:51:53 (permalink)
The Union Pacific Dining Room in West Yellowstone, Montana is still around.  Duncan Hines said of it in his 1941 restaurant guide, "Just how the Union Pacific makes any money on the $1 dinner, I do not know---undoubtedly they do not.  Those wishing a bang-up meal will find it here.  Personally, I found it better than anything in the park.  Other meals served, of course."

In the link below, there are several pictures of the surrounding area, and there is one of the interior of the dining hall, as well as one of the exterior.

http://www.townofwestyellowstone.com/residents/updl-pcc/historic-union-pacific-dining-lodge/

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/01/24 20:21:33 (permalink)
Is the Union Pacific Dining Lodge still open to the public or is it now an "event venue"?

Louis
As Hines explained, "I say "new" because Mrs. Scott [the hostess] has made a new place out of this old inn, and today it is one that I am glad to recommend to my readers.  The meals are of the good, old-fashioned, sane type of cooking."

Any idea what type of cooking Duncan Hines would've considered insane?
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/02/04 12:58:23 (permalink)
He believed that a restaurant's cuisine should reflect its local geography.  I don't think he would have thought much of cuisine where everything is mixed up, such as root beer float waffles, which is a plate of waffles, drizzled with root beer-flavored syrup, with a dollop of French ice cream on top.  Crazy things like that.  He liked to joke that he liked to put ice cream on his bowl of corn flakes; after it melts, the result is the same.

post edited by Louis - 2017/02/05 07:59:26
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/02/04 13:27:30 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure that this is the same restaurant, but the location has changed.

In 1932, Petrow's opened in Fremont, Nebraska at 544 North Main Street.  By 1941 Duncan Hines was listing it in his restaurant guides.  Fremont is not too far up the road from Omaha, Nebraska.  In 1950, another Petrow's opened in Omaha.  In Duncan Hines' 1952 restaurant guide, the Fremont location is still mentioned, but the one in Omaha is not.  In his 1961 guidebook, neither restaurant is listed.  So I don't know for sure if it is the same restaurant or not, but my guess is that the owners ran both operations for a time, but let the Fremont location eventually expire.

In his 1941 guidebook, Hines said that Petrow's was "a large, well-liked restaurant with table and counter service."  It was, "modernistic in design" and was "air-conditioned," and that  it specialized "in steaks, chicken and direct shipment of sea foods."

Here is the website of the restaurant in question:

http://www.petrows.com/

Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/02/19 16:14:44 (permalink)
In his 1941 restaurant guide, Duncan Hines said of The Grand Cafe in Reno, Nevada, "Under the same management for 30 years [or about 1911], this air conditioned restaurant is one of the favorites of the home folks.  Specialties--steaks, chops, and sea food, frog legs, squab, trout, and lobster."  I'm sure it's had different management since then, of course, but whoever has owned it since has probably made it even better.  It has expanded quite a bit.  I don't think Duncan Hines would have any problem with this place.

https://www.grandsierraresort.com/dining-and-lounges/grand-cafe

post edited by Louis - 2017/02/19 16:15:57
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/02/19 17:36:11 (permalink)
I'm guessing that in 1941 a decent lobster in Reno, Nevada would command a premium price.
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 677
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/02/20 12:14:12 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
I'm guessing that in 1941 a decent lobster in Reno, Nevada would command a premium price.

It's funny that quality beef was higher than Lobster at that time...Lobster was mid-high, right up with Lamb Chops and Squab. I gleaned this info from a 1947 Vegas menu I have. Massive Rail Car movement helped this I'm sure. Although, In 1941 the post war boom had not occurred obviously, so it definitely could have made a difference.
post edited by Wintahaba - 2017/02/20 12:35:17
momof4istired
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/10 10:46:17 (permalink)
Hello all, this conversation has been a wealth of information for me, I'm so excited to have stumbled on to it! I'm a freelance (article) reporter for NPR's The Salt and was hoping to talk with some of you about your experience with Adventures in Good Eating. I've just read the 1946 version cover to cover and it's a bit daunting to dig in with out any personal anecdotes. I'm so excited to talk with people who have more familiarity on it than I do.

I can't send a PM because I just registered, but as a food writer (and history lover) I can only imagine the hours I will spend here in the coming months. 

That being said, is it okay/appropriate for me to give out my email address and ask if anyone is interested in discussing Adventures in Good Eating with me? If not, please delete.

My email is . Thank you so much!

Nicole Jankowski

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4910
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/10 12:03:46 (permalink)
Nicole,

I sent you a PM with my email address.

Jim
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/26 07:58:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2017/03/28 11:01:22
Nicole had her article posted (published) at The Salt today, Duncan Hines: The Original Road Warrior Who Shaped the Restaurant Industry

I haven't read the piece yet, but noted that she did spell Louis' and my names correctly.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/26 08:19:45 (permalink)
Great job Nicole. I really enjoyed reading your article.

I hadn't seen a picture of one of the "Recommended by..." signs before. I really need to make that trip to visit Louis and WKU.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/03/26 08:23:37
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 2158
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/26 09:37:06 (permalink)
Just read it. Nice history article and give props out to Roadfood.com.
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/26 17:33:28 (permalink)
The article was a good one, Nicole.  Thank you.  I appreciate it.

Jim, you're welcome to come down anytime.  Always glad to break bread with other roadfooders.

Louis

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/26 18:51:23 (permalink)

On the Contingent's Dining Crawl of Kenosha today, I passed this building. I remembered the name on the sign from my Duncan Hines research. This was Oage Thomsen's Restaurant at one time and was recommended by Hines. It is directly across from Jockey International's headquarters, so I surmise that Jockey was one of the customers that Duncan would regularly visit.
rocketrodeo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/29 12:44:46 (permalink)
My first post here.  I have only looked at the online 1959 guide; comparing it to my knowledge of what's on the ground and a little backup research results in four additions to your list.

In Ohio:  Columbus. The Clarmont on South High Street continued to operate with high standards up until 2012, when it closed very quickly and unexpectedly. One of my acquaintances worked there for quite a few years. It is now a Panera. The shell of the building survives and the original marquee sign now houses the corporate signage.  OL

Marietta. The Betsey Mills Club is sort of a local private YWCA. It has provided room and board for transient ladies of careful morals as well as local college coeds since the 1920s and offered a public lunch up until 2006.  The dining room is still available for catering, and still appears identical to how I remember it when lunch was served. I don't remember a thing about the menu.  OL

Also Marietta. The Lafayette Hotel, which dates to 1918 after a fire destroyed its predecessor, remains the historic downtown anchor hotel. It is an authentic riverboat hotel with an inland nautical theme. The Gun Room Restaurant still hosts "an interesting display of muzzle loading antique rifles."  It's very traditional and unimaginative fare, prepared well and served in no particular hurry. Steaks, roast beef, fish, crab cakes, and probably the last place in the region to get a liver dinner. There are more highly regarded restaurants in the city since it's becoming a tourist area, but I have no doubt that Duncan Hines would find it to be nearly unchanged.

North Carolina, Burnsville.  The Nu-Wray Inn still exists as a bed and breakfast. It lingered well into the 1990s as a regional dining destination and one of my friends had her wedding reception dinner there. It's old, dating to the 1830s.  BB
rocketrodeo
Junior Burger
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/29 13:29:14 (permalink)
Also in Ohio--Mt. Vernon:  The Alcove, at its original 1911 location, has been recently remodeled and given the Cameron Mitchell treatment. It gets rave reviews. No personal knowledge; my preference in Mt Vernon was much more lowbrow, the High Restaurant on the square--which is now a Greek restaurant.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/29 15:55:18 (permalink)
rocketrodeo,

Thank you so much for joining Roadfood and making these contributions to the list. I promise to add them this weekend.

When I started this project one year ago, I imagined people like you sharing their expertise and passion for restaurants in their particular locations. There are only so many of us at Roadfood, so the interest Nicole's feature generated is very welcome here.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/03/29 20:24:08
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/29 20:03:16 (permalink)
Welcome NPR and Nicole Jankowski fans.

Nicole dropped me a note today telling about the fantastic response she has received after her piece appeared at The Salt. We are both very excited about the shared interest she has unearthed in Duncan Hines and his recommended restaurants. She wrote:
I can't tell you the amazing interest I've had in Adventures in Good Eating and the piece---it's been so fun. I've referred so many readers to your post in the forum on Roadfood, the world at large seems interested in understanding how many of these old restaurants remain open (and planning road trips to explore them!)
If you get around to reading some of my early posts in this thread you should sense the passion I had for this project when I started last April. I won't share my excuses for why I slowed down, but the interest and feedback that Nicole has directed this way has renewed my passion. I intend to update the lists at the start of the thread with all the latest information that has been posted (sorry for the delay Louis). We will end up with the most complete a list of the remaining Duncan Hines recommended restaurants that is possible.

While you are at Roadfood.com, please take some time to look around. This website is devoted to the restaurants recommended by Jane and Michael Stern in their Roadfood dining guides. The members here are every bit as devoted (a few are certifiably obsessed) to the Stern's recommendations as Americans were to Hines advice in the mid-20th century. In their own way, Jane and Michael have carried on Duncan's work to the present day.

Thank you for your interest in this project and for coming to Roadfood.

Jim Pfefferle
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/03/29 21:33:31
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/29 20:57:42 (permalink)

Milwaukee's Karl Ratzsch Restaurant is recommended by Duncan Hines in his 1948 guidebook. He wrote "Wide variety -- onion soup au gratin, sea foods, broiled steaks, special German cooking." When I moved to Milwaukee 25 years ago, Ratzsch's was one of the few remaining German restaurants. If any of the rest of that menu still existed, I never noticed. We went to Karl Ratzsch for traditional German fare.

Last year, the restaurant was sold. Rather than a complete makeover or remaining unchanged, the new owner has updated the menu to offer a modern version of German food.

Carol Deptolla of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel recently reviewed the restaurant and wrote:
 With new ownership, change was inevitable; Hauck, to his credit, wanted to uphold the tradition of Karl Ratzsch, one of the oldest German restaurants remaining in Milwaukee. But he's rightly made the restaurant his own.
Here's the thing: People can have a hard time with change, and longtime customers who felt a connection to the restaurant let it be known. Some of it was due to bumps a new restaurant typically encounters (and must iron out); some of it was a different way of doing things. Different is not necessarily bad. It can, in fact, be better.
In response, Deptolla reports the restaurant has made recipe and menu changes to appeal to the longtime diners.

I have not been to Karl Ratzsch since it reopened, but based on this review, I believe Duncan Hines would still approve.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/03/29 20:59:55
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/30 08:29:53 (permalink)
Thanks, Jim.  This project wouldn't have gotten started had it not been for you.

If rocketrodeo will continue to work out of the 1959 edition of "Adventures in Good Eating," I will continue to work out of the 1941 edition I've been using.  My intention is to eventually use 1952 and 1961 guidebooks that I have.  Eyesight problems have been slowing down my contributions over the last few months; nothing serious; just age.  I hope to remedy it soon.

rocketrodeo
Junior Burger
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/30 10:13:37 (permalink)
Louis
Thanks, Jim.  This project wouldn't have gotten started had it not been for you.

If rocketrodeo will continue to work out of the 1959 edition of "Adventures in Good Eating," I will continue to work out of the 1941 edition I've been using.  My intention is to eventually use 1952 and 1961 guidebooks that I have.  Eyesight problems have been slowing down my contributions over the last few months; nothing serious; just age.  I hope to remedy it soon.

Will do Louis. My area of knowledge is largely Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina. I'm also looking at the online 1945 edition--it is quite different from the 1959 edition and I do wonder how different it is from the 1941 version.  I note that a number of the 1945 entries are labeled "closed for the duration" so I expect that much of the information was carried over.  I am curious how frequently these editions were completely revamped, and/or previous entries reevaluated.
Louis
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/31 08:32:41 (permalink)
During World War II, because of gas rationing, many out-of-the-way restaurants closed their doors until the war was over; that's what "closed for the duration" means.  During the war years, Duncan Hines, in order to keep his guidebooks current, would only publish them in batches of 200-300 so they wouldn't become dated.  Remember, he was his own publisher.  During this time, his cookbook, "Adventures in Good Cooking," which was made up of recipes from his recommended restaurants, understandably outsold his restaurant and lodging guides.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/03/31 19:48:46 (permalink)
From the 1938 Edition of Adventures in Good Eating:
Mukwonago, Wisconsin. Heaven City, School
Heaven City is a "self-sustained, non-sectarian, cooperative school," so named because they "expect it to be the best place on earth." One of their sources of revenue is the serving of dinners from 12:30 to 6:30 daily. The menu consists of fruit cocktail, mushroom soup, spiced ham, roast turkey, roast beef, vegetables, salad, cake and ice cream and pie, cheese and coffee. Must make reservations. Telephone Mukwonago 592 J. Dinner $1.25 and $1.50.

That's no longer exactly accurate. It is still in Mukwonago and has Heaven City in the name; other than that I can't find anything else that remains. I bring up Heaven City now because there's a Groupon available that will let you dine at The Villa at Heaven City for a bargain price. A $50 certificate for $29 (with other discounts available to those on the Groupon email list).

I don't think Mr. Hines would recognize the place, but I believe he certainty would approve.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2017/03/31 21:57:11
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3453
Re: Surviving Duncan Hines Family Restaurants 2017/04/01 13:49:50 (permalink)
Ate there recently and it was Duncan Hines approved quality.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 19
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5