Sweet Potato, Smoked Turkey and Alabama White BBQ sauce - Feges BBQ - Houston

Author
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
2018/12/08 10:53:22 (permalink)

Sweet Potato, Smoked Turkey and Alabama White BBQ sauce - Feges BBQ - Houston

Baked potato topped with bbq (usually shredded or chopped brisket) is a popular item at many bbq joints here.  I don't get it, have never tried it, the combination doesn't appeal to me.  But I'm probably in a minority.

Feges BBQ in Houston offers a choice of Idaho or sweet baked potato topped with any meat they have available that day.  A new twist they've come up with, which they say is very popular, is a sweet baked potato topped with smoked turkey, their house-made Alabama White BBQ sauce, and chipotle powder  Houstonia/Gastronaut has a story and a picture.

I've had sweet potatoes as a side with bbq before and I thought the two went together well.  I've never had an Alabama white sauce before and I want to experience one.  I haven't been to Feges yet, been wanting to go.  I'll probably pass on this first visit but it does sound interesting.

Feges is representative of what's happening on the bbq scene here - a young gun, self and culinary school trained, experimenting with the genre.  As referenced in another recent post here, he's known as 'the whole hog guy.' His wife, also a culinary school grad with some serious credentials, is a partner and sees to the sides and desserts, which are taken more seriously here that at the old-line Central Texas joints.  
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/12/08 10:54:56

2 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10300
    Re: Sweet Potato, Smoked Turkey and Alabama White BBQ sauce - Feges BBQ - Houston 2018/12/08 10:55:21 (permalink)
    Barbecue overbaked potato sounds fine!
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1838
    Re: Sweet Potato, Smoked Turkey and Alabama White BBQ sauce - Feges BBQ - Houston 2018/12/08 11:28:00 (permalink)
    I've seen the sweet potato/BBQ thing at a few places in recent years. I'm pretty sure it started in Texas and spread via TV food shows. While I've never tried one, I must say that some iterations of them do look very appetising. I'm a fan of BBQ and sweet potatoes, so I'll inevitably try this at some point.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5