Helpful ReplyHot!Texas franchises coming soon to you ...

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Heartbreaksoup
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 631
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/07 12:09:14 (permalink)
The Mooyah / Five Guys trademark similarity really reminds me of how Taco Cabana got copied by Two Pesos in other cities for years before Taco Cabana knew what had happened!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6921
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/07 14:06:38 (permalink)
Heartbreaksoup
The Mooyah / Five Guys trademark similarity really reminds me of how Taco Cabana got copied by Two Pesos in other cities for years before Taco Cabana knew what had happened!

When I walked into the very first Mooyah in Plano, TX I was reminded of John Amos' character in "Coming to America"ripping off McDonald's with his 'McDougall's'!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22896
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/07 18:58:13 (permalink)
I loved the movie.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1360
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/07 20:42:28 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
Root-Beer Man
Well, my little town just got Indiana's first, and so far only, Mooyah's and we went out and got some burgers there tonight. They're on a par with 5 Guys, pricewise, but they have more choices for toppings on your burgers. The burgers themselves are pretty good. They season the meat as it's cooking, (which too many places don't) and it came off the grill with a good bit of flavour. A good selection of cheeses, for those that want cheeseburgers. I had cheddar and the kids got bleu cheese. All in all a pretty darned good burger. Better than 5 Guys. The fries were also pretty good. Fresh cut, crisp and creamy on the inside. They even have decent shakes, (not as good as a Steak and Shake shake, but decent). Service was a bit slow, but they were a little busy, newly opened and they cook to order. No pre-made burgers here. If I had one critical issue with them it would be the same as I have with most fast food burger joints. They squish the meat on the grill. Wish they'd all set that particualr technique aside for good. All in all Mooyah's was a pretty good burger, if a bit pricey. We'll probably return at some point. They even have an "iceburger", bunless burger for the wheat intolerant like my wife. She was happy with hers.

About a year before Five Guys opened their first Texas store Mooyah opened its first store in Plano, TX. They were a 100% direct rip-off of Five Guys, right down to store design, store décor, color scheme, menu, menu board, web-site, advertising strategy, fresh cut fries fried in peanut oil, tin foil wrap, paper bags ... even the in-the-shell peanuts!  The only 'differentiation' I could see was that Mooyah offered shakes and Five Guys didn't.

I wrote Jerry Murrell and he got his lawyers after them.  Even with a few tweaks, Mooyah's remains a major-league intellectual property thief and much to my disgust has gone nation-wide and even international in 8 short years.

This says it all:

They must have made some changed then. I didn't see any real similarities between them and 5 Guys, other than the fact they sell kinda pricey burgers.No peanuts, no stacks of spuds, no tile, no uncomfortable seating. Not sure you could accuse anyone being intellectual property thieves where burgers are concerned. They've been around too long and are obviously in the public domain and 5 Guys was hardly in the 1st 10,000 businesses to make a burger and fries. They make a good burger, I prefer it over a 5 Guys burger. It would be a real stretch to say that they are a copy cat of 5 Guys.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 07:46:24 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
MetroplexJim
Root-Beer Man
Well, my little town just got Indiana's first, and so far only, Mooyah's and we went out and got some burgers there tonight. They're on a par with 5 Guys, pricewise, but they have more choices for toppings on your burgers. The burgers themselves are pretty good. They season the meat as it's cooking, (which too many places don't) and it came off the grill with a good bit of flavour. A good selection of cheeses, for those that want cheeseburgers. I had cheddar and the kids got bleu cheese. All in all a pretty darned good burger. Better than 5 Guys. The fries were also pretty good. Fresh cut, crisp and creamy on the inside. They even have decent shakes, (not as good as a Steak and Shake shake, but decent). Service was a bit slow, but they were a little busy, newly opened and they cook to order. No pre-made burgers here. If I had one critical issue with them it would be the same as I have with most fast food burger joints. They squish the meat on the grill. Wish they'd all set that particualr technique aside for good. All in all Mooyah's was a pretty good burger, if a bit pricey. We'll probably return at some point. They even have an "iceburger", bunless burger for the wheat intolerant like my wife. She was happy with hers.

About a year before Five Guys opened their first Texas store Mooyah opened its first store in Plano, TX. They were a 100% direct rip-off of Five Guys, right down to store design, store décor, color scheme, menu, menu board, web-site, advertising strategy, fresh cut fries fried in peanut oil, tin foil wrap, paper bags ... even the in-the-shell peanuts!  The only 'differentiation' I could see was that Mooyah offered shakes and Five Guys didn't.

I wrote Jerry Murrell and he got his lawyers after them.  Even with a few tweaks, Mooyah's remains a major-league intellectual property thief and much to my disgust has gone nation-wide and even international in 8 short years.

This says it all:

They must have made some changed then. I didn't see any real similarities between them and 5 Guys, other than the fact they sell kinda pricey burgers.No peanuts, no stacks of spuds, no tile, no uncomfortable seating. Not sure you could accuse anyone being intellectual property thieves where burgers are concerned. They've been around too long and are obviously in the public domain and 5 Guys was hardly in the 1st 10,000 businesses to make a burger and fries. They make a good burger, I prefer it over a 5 Guys burger. It would be a real stretch to say that they are a copy cat of 5 Guys.

Again, Mooyah's started as a direct rip-off of Five Guys; you really had to see it to believe their hutzpah.  "It" was all there:  bags of potatoes, cartons of peanuts, identical service line, identical menu board and menu, identical color scheme and store layout, ... etc. right down to the tiniest detail. 

The really hilarious part was their founders' trying to deny it after they were called on it; pressed, he was reduced to saying "Five Guys doesn't sell milkshakes".

They since have made just enough changes to avoid lawsuits. 
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1198
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 11:17:37 (permalink)
I have had Whataburger many times over the years.There's one here in Schertz and one in Universal City.
Haven't had Dickey's yet. I want to go and try McBee's in New Braunfels and also Cooper's which is connected to Cooper's BBQ of LLano. And there is a Rudy's BBq in Selma.They started in Leon Springs north of San Antonio on IH10. They have various branches around. Never been to Fuzzy's Tacos or Mooya. There is a taco place from Austin that opened in the Lincoln Heights Shopping Center in Alamo Heights,but haven't tried it yet.
Also I have had chicken Express in the past,and it wasn't bad. If I get to New Braunfels I'll have to try it.
kozel
  • Total Posts : 1178
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 11:29:38 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I loved the movie.

A, little trivia about the movie.
The "McDowell's" restaurant was actually a Wendy's on Queens Blvd in Elmhurst Queens NY that was scheduled to be closed for a complete renovation. Although the production had approval from McDonald's corporate headquarters, they apparently didn't pass the word down to their local outlets. On the day the "McDowell's" sign was erected, the manager of the McDonald's 1/2 mile further up the road arrived with his lawyer and proceeded to take photographs while telling the set dressing crew they were going to be sued for everything they were worth.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 11:46:16 (permalink)
Now that's interesting.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11779
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 11:53:51 (permalink)
Whataburger does nothing for me.  All my friends in Texas think it's the best except for one who has now had a Smashburger.

Love the variety of fried chicken restaurants in Texas and wish we'd get a Chicken Express in Los Angeles.

I saw a Dickey's sign somewhere around here when driving around.  I'm not rushing to find it again.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 14:32:37 (permalink)
The thread that will never die.

I retract my comment at the start. No coupons - no returns to Dickey's in 2 years.

These places are really the antithesis of Roadfood - they sell cookie cutter mediocrity. Every comment about these fastfood chains should reek of condescension and hostility. But if "Franklin" or "Pecan" is in the name, I may reconsider this position.

Larger point, why do restaurants with no history or tradition or quality get marketed nationwide, while my beloved Midway Eat bites the dust? I'm sure Chili's was once great, but please keep your crappy chains in Texas.

It was almost like I had a little Dale sitting on my shoulder when I wrote this. The one with the halo, not the horns.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 15:02:12 (permalink)
There's one with a halo?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8452
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 15:53:37 (permalink)
mar52
I saw a Dickey's sign somewhere around here when driving around.  I'm not rushing to find it again.

I'm going to a party this coming Saturday and the local Dickey's is providing the grub.  This will be the first time I've eaten it...will it be the last?
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 16:08:42 (permalink)
SC - I'd go back if you were paying.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 18:03:35 (permalink)
Oh whoopie.

I want chicken and we get another burger place:

https://twitter.com/eater...tus/641340279711072256
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 19:12:15 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
mar52

I'm going to a party this coming Saturday and the local Dickey's is providing the grub.  This will be the first time I've eaten it...will it be the last?

Fear not. 
You'll like it just fine. 
In fact, you'll be back for more.

Comparing Dickey's to the legendary, stand-alone 'cathedrals' of BBQ is as unfair as constantly comparing Outback or Steak & Ale to Peter Luger's and ridiculing them for "falling short". 

Does that mean that Outback is 'nasty'?  No !!  It's decent for what it aspires to be.  And so is Dickey's.

Ignore the BBQ snobs and enjoy it for what it is, kinda' like the Culver's or Steak 'n Shake of BBQ.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 19:16:31 (permalink)
mar52
Oh whoopie.

Chicken Express is 'exploding', I expect several near you in a year or so.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 19:20:51 (permalink)
I liked Dickeys for what its worth. My cousins and I were on a trip together in St. Louis, and they kept wanting to go to Panera, etc. They are eaters, but not very adventurous....I insisted, as I didn't, at the time,know it was a chain. I just saw bbq. I know there are way better places, but we were on a major tour( Grants Farm, Budweiser, etc-their agenda) We were all pretty happy. I am not too much of a food snob-I mean if I could have steered them to Brick Pit in Mobile, we would have had much better bbq.  But it was fine for what it is.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/08 23:44:42 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
mar52
Oh whoopie.

Chicken Express is 'exploding', I expect several near you in a year or so.

I sure hope so!  They sell gizzards!  They sell catfish!

My Malone, Texas friend likes Dickey's but she lives in Malone, a town of just under 300.
plb
  • Total Posts : 1178
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 11:31:49 (permalink)
Here is a Texas franchise probably NOT coming soon to you.  Twisted Doh!  Sandwich ingredients packed inside Pretzel dough.  This one was ham and cheese.
post edited by plb - 2015/09/09 19:13:09
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1635
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 11:50:53 (permalink)

A few years ago my wife came back from visiting her sister in the Dallas area raving about MooYah. Imagine our surprise when a few months later one opened just a few miles from us in the decidedly non-fastfood town of Garwood NJ (still the only NJ location). We've been a few times and like it better than Five Guys. The acoustics are a lot better (no tile walls, less annoying music) and the seating is more comfortable, with actual booths. The food and price, I'd say, is comparable. So MooYah is currently our local "upscale price fast food burger" choice.

A Dickey's has opened about a 1/2 hour from here in North Brunswick. Again, my wife has been there in Texas (when I go to TX with her I seek out more authentic places) and she says it's OK, but we are in no big rush to go there, even in this barbeque-deprived state of NJ. We'll probably get there at some point, like if we feel like Barbeque and don't mind driving about 5 extra miles past Famous Daves on US 1.
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 2163
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 15:58:51 (permalink)
Dickey's opened here in Minot about a year ago.  Being the ONLY dedicated BBQ place, it is packed open to close.  (There is other BBQ in town, that is if you count Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays, Buffalo Wild Wings and the like...)

The first time I went it was excellent.  The second and final third time was sub-mediocre at best.  Like the pre-packaged microwave and sauce it AppleBee's stuff.  I wish some real competition would show up.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 19:26:13 (permalink)
plb
Here is a Texas franchise probably NOT coming soon to you.  Twisted Doh!  Sandwich ingredients backed inside Pretzel dough.  This one was ham and cheese.

The pic above makes me want to visit Twisted Don's !  Evidently they were subletting some space from an existing bakery and had a falling out with the lease-holder.

It looks good for the occasional tasty treat that is a little out of the ordinary, but I can't see their clientele visiting on a regular basis.  Low COGS, though.  They just need to broaden their menu a bit before opening either a food truck or their own bricks & mortar location.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2015/09/09 19:28:01
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 19:52:55 (permalink)
WarToad
Dickey's opened here in Minot about a year ago.  Being the ONLY dedicated BBQ place, it is packed open to close.  (There is other BBQ in town, that is if you count Applebee's, Ruby Tuesdays, Buffalo Wild Wings and the like...)

The first time I went it was excellent.  The second and final third time was sub-mediocre at best.  Like the pre-packaged microwave and sauce it AppleBee's stuff. 

You are absolutely correct:  consistency is the key that differentiates the 'legendary' places from the chains and 'others'.  the best brisket I've ever had was on our first visit to a local chain, Spring Creek Barbecue.  But, sadly, that was just their 'lucky day' - a Bucky Dent moment.  Subsequent visits were dreadful.

In checking their website I noticed this addition to their menu:

On your next visit, try our new
       Pulled Pork
         Carolina-Style            
Slow-smoked and smothered
in a sweet and tangy sauce...
a Southern-style comfort food

"Smothered in a sweet and tangy sauce" tells the tale here; that ain't Carolina, that's disgusting! 
Maybe I should go by and give them a bottle of this.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2015/09/09 19:56:59
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 429
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 20:27:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2015/09/09 20:58:50
Whataburger is disguisting. Worse than any fast food I've been in. Greasy, made all of us a little sick afterwards. The food looked worse than McDonald's. The logo kind of reminds me of the band Weezer, so I call it Weezerburger.

Mooyah.. I believe we have one in New Jersey? Maybe Pennsylvania. I saw one, but have no intentions of ever visiting.

Fuzzys Taco Shop - Same old same old. Just another Mexican joint. We have too many of them. There's not much that stands out as unique on the menu.

I'd love to find a place that makes puffy tacos and brings them to NJ.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/09 21:53:12 (permalink)
I totally disliked Fuzzy's Taco Shop and the next time I was in the city where I tried it, they were gone.  Guess I know why.  It was truly awful!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/10 19:05:16 (permalink)
mar52
I totally disliked Fuzzy's Taco Shop and the next time I was in the city where I tried it, they were gone.  Guess I know why.  It was truly awful!

I started off liking them quite a bit for their soft tacos with carnitas or shredded beef, accompanied by sides of boraco beans and Mexican fried rice.  But, over time their portions have shrunk amd I have found much better 'mom & pops in both McKinney and Dallas.

They are still a big hit around colleges though -- for the late night 'munchies' and/or 'hangover absorbers'.  And, they are still on a high-growth curve.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/12 19:27:45 (permalink)
Fuddrucker's is another Texas-based chain that is still expanding nationwide as is Dave & Buster's.  Of course not everything coming out of here is good; Chuck-E-Cheese calls Texas home as well.  Sorry, USA.

I've been patronizing them since the mid-'80's when they opened a place at the Seven Corners Center in NoVa and we still go to the ones near us in McKinney, TX.  We've always had a good experience there.

In clicking on the "Fudd's" site I discover their parent corporation also own and operate Jimmy Buffet's "Cheeseburger in Paradise" places.  we very much enjoyed the one at Universal Studios in Orlando, though it seems that they are no longer there.

(Speaking of Texas 'parent' corporations 'owning stuff':  Both Pappas and Landry's are powerhouses). 

BTW: Fuddrucker's was started by Dallas resident Phil Romano, the Romano of Romano's Macaroni Grill.  He innovates, develops, then $ell$ restaurant concepts.  His latest project is Trinity Groves, a "restaurant concept incubator"; Romano is also known for being the 'angel capitalist' who funded the development of the heart stent.

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/12 19:38:04 (permalink)
yuppicide
Whataburger is disguisting.

Wouldn't go quite that far, but we've only gone 4 times in 10 years and have no desire to go back. 

I can say the same for In-N-Out.  Went three times over the past five years they've been in Texas and I have no inclination to return.  Both these places have "cult" followings and I cannot understand why.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/12 20:16:12 (permalink)
The Fuddruckers that were in the Columbus area shut down back in the '80s. We found the one we tried pretty disgusting. The condiment tables were filthy, with stuff all over the tables and the floor around them. Additionally, the burgers we got were dry as bones and without any discernible taste and the buns were stale. But I have no idea why they all closed.
mar52
Porterhouse
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/12 21:37:48 (permalink)
We also had Fuddrucker's in the 80s.  I disliked them before even trying them because they took over the location where my beloved Scotch and Sirloin stood.  They didn't last.

Then a few years ago even though they didn't have a presence here, corporate did and they shut down most of their Koo Koo Roo chicken locations which I loved.  So I still dislike them.

Fuddrucker's are starting to pop up around here again.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5