Helpful ReplyHot!Texas franchises coming soon to you ...

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6893
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/13 00:29:15 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
ScreamingChicken
I'm going to a party this coming Saturday and the local Dickey's is providing the grub.  This will be the first time I've eaten it...will it be the last?

Fear not. 
You'll like it just fine. 
In fact, you'll be back for more.

Comparing Dickey's to the legendary, stand-alone 'cathedrals' of BBQ is as unfair as constantly comparing Outback or Steak & Ale to Peter Luger's and ridiculing them for "falling short". 

Does that mean that Outback is 'nasty'?  No !!  It's decent for what it aspires to be.  And so is Dickey's.

Ignore the BBQ snobs and enjoy it for what it is, kinda' like the Culver's or Steak 'n Shake of BBQ.

Well, I made it home alive and you were right...I did go back for seconds (in lieu of dessert).  The pulled pork had a decent amount of brown and I'm pretty sure I saw some smoke ring, the sliced chicken was tender and tasty enough, and I thought the green beans and baked beans were both pretty good.  "Culver's of BBQ" does seem to be a reasonably accurate description, although the caveat here is that this was a catered event and I've yet to visit the restaurant.  The two Dickey's in the Madison area bookend the city to some degree while Famous Dave's is more centrally located, so I don't see a lot of territorial overlap.

Other than Famous Dave's the only other barbecue chain I can recall in this area was Damon's, which used to have one restaurant in Madison and one in Janesville.  Both are long gone now and the lone meal I ate at the Madison location probably 20-some years ago was memorable only because it was so bad.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/09/13 00:30:28
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5851
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/13 09:28:07 (permalink)
Look for Dickey's 'buy one entrée, get one of equal or lesser value free' coupons in the mail.  Typically, we'll get a meal there for two for $14. and have enough to take home for another meal.  Bottom line:  four protein-packed meals for $14; you can't beat that anywhere.

Again, the same folk that carp about Dickey's - were they to be logically consistent - would also turn up their nose at an Outback steak simply because it wasn't Peter Luger's.

BTW:  we now have four Culver's in the Metroplex - all in the ultra-prosperous and fast growing suburban counties of Collin and Denton.  For my money they beat the pants off all the (almost) fast food competitors.  And, they offer great coupons, too!  Thank you, Wisconsin!   
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4065
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/13 09:32:35 (permalink)
I do not patronize Outback Steakhouse. A chain is a chain is a chain.

(I had this Dale on my shoulder when I wrote that)
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/13 09:46:26 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
The Fuddruckers that were in the Columbus area shut down back in the '80s. We found the one we tried pretty disgusting. The condiment tables were filthy, with stuff all over the tables and the floor around them. Additionally, the burgers we got were dry as bones and without any discernible taste and the buns were stale. But I have no idea why they all closed.

After Phil Romano's group sold them the first time, the quality went through the floor.  Much the same thing happened in NoVa at their original Seven Corners location.  It closed and the Chinese moved back in.  Of course "all this" was 25 - 30 years or so ago.

In North Texas - now operated by the Luby's Group - their operations are neat and tight.  And, they are much scaled down from the original Romano concept which included in-house butcher shops, bakeries, and ice cream parlors!  I remember that when you entered their vast Seven Corners store there were sides of beef hanging behind glass with a butcher 'operating' on them.  It was the same in their Alexandria location which filled an old Safeway supermarket!  It was a cool visual, but the retail overhead attendant to having all that 'on-site' killed them!

If a 'reconstituted' Fudd's opens in Columbus, give it a try.  And, if you want it 'rare', they'll serve it rare.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2015/09/13 09:50:24
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4065
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/13 09:51:43 (permalink)
This is tempting...

But, I'll eat at home a few times, then pay a little more and get a steak that I really like.

post edited by JRPfeff - 2015/09/13 09:53:18
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9929
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/09/13 09:56:52 (permalink)
Jim- the steak in the ad doesn't even look good......now yours, beautiful.
HollyDolly
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1138
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/10/09 14:40:21 (permalink)
Never ate at  Fuddrucker's.They have a couple in San Antonio but I do recall seeing I think at the one near the Riverwalk the meat hanging in the window.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4535
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/10/09 17:14:38 (permalink)
Now if ZZ Top only franchised.........

MetroplexJim
Sirloin
Re:Texas franchises coming soon to you ... 2015/10/10 12:53:48 (permalink)
Here's another Texas original that "has big plans":  Super Chix.

They got me in after I had read an article about Nashville-style Hot Chicken in Dallas.

O.K., their Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich only made my upper lip sweat - but it was really good and made from perfectly cooked, premium quality chicken.  Their fries were most excellent as well.  And, I'll definitely return. 
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5