Helpful ReplyHot!The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
wanderingjew
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/05/17 16:48:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/05/17 21:47:59
joerogo
The one item I was sorry I didn’t have was real honest to goodness Swedish Pancakes. Even Norwegian would have been fine.

Here's the Swedish Pancakes you requested.

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/05/17 16:54:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/05/19 20:32:13
wanderingjew
joerogo
The one item I was sorry I didn’t have was real honest to goodness Swedish Pancakes. Even Norwegian would have been fine.

Here's the Swedish Pancakes you requested.

Mighty Fine looking hot cakes....
Bonk
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1018
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/05/19 19:30:37 (permalink)
Those look like crepes. How do they compare?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6644
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/05/19 22:33:59 (permalink)
Or the Blintzes my Grandmother used to make.

Buddy
wanderingjew
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/05/20 07:13:35 (permalink)
Bonk

All  Swedish Pancakes are served "crepe" style. So they are very similar
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5330
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/05/21 20:33:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Bonk

All  Swedish Pancakes are served "crepe" style. So they are very similar
i thought hey we’re usually rolled with the fruit in the middle. They look great though.
Bonk
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 16:00:41 (permalink)
THE BONKS ESCAPE TO MSP

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 24 – NEEDED A VACATION IN THE WURST WAY

We deserved this.

Cathy had been working 50-hour weeks as her workload had picked up significantly, and I had not worked fewer than 45 hours in eight months.

So April 24 and the Twins Cities Food Crawl couldn’t come soon enough.

With Cincinnati being well over 700 miles from our house, I took a look at flight costs, mostly out of curiosity.

To my pleasant surprise, I found we could take Delta, non-stop each way for just over $200 each, which we determined was a much better option than driving 12 hours each way.

We landed at MSP around 5 p.m. I wasn’t impressed with the lack of signage to the rental car area, but we eventually figured that out. After picking up a compact Hyundai and driving to our hotel in Brooklyn Center, it was 6:30 p.m.

We checked in, dropped off our bags and headed toward Crawl Central.

First stop: The Black Forest in downtown Minneapolis.

One of the best German restaurants in the Twin Cities a night before the official crawl begins in an intimate setting?

Yes, please.

In true Crawl form, Buddyroadhouse took the room's temperature on individual items, and the group ordered a ton of entrees and sides for all of us, as we basically our own room up front.

At one point while transferring sausage across the table, Scholtz dropped it right into ChiBears15’s $9 drink. Of all the places on the table to land.

The coincidence of it was somewhat hilarious, but also difficult to watch, as that was the last bite of my favorite food of the evening.

It was the perfect texture with explosive sausage flavor and ridiculous juiciness.

We came to Minneapolis in part to seek out the top Ju(i)cy Lucy, and it turns out the reason they weren’t as juicy as anticipated was their moisture had been sucked out by the Black Forest sausage.

The deep fried spaetzle, something I’d never seen before, was another winner, as it was a normal version of the traditional German dumpling only deep fried to deliciousness.

I enjoyed the schnitzel as well.

The chocolate cake we had was my favorite of about 30 desserts we passed around, as at one point ChiTownDiner brought in a couple of pies he had purchased en route from Chicago.

Of course, each was better than the last.

Pretty much everything was high quality. I really enjoy a good German restaurant, and Black Forest checked all of the boxes.

Black Forest's latest drink concoction: The ChiBear.

ChiTownDiner brought in his dessert offerings:

There was talk of a late-night stop but I’d been up since 4 a.m. Eastern, so we opted to return to the hotel. Running on fumes, I got a ninth wind and still snuck out for a couple of beers at Malone’s, a sports bar within walking distance.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/06/02 16:03:41
Bonk
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 16:31:17 (permalink)
THURSDAY, APRIL 25 – RUSSIAN AROUND THE TWIN CITIES

I guess the itinerary had an 8 a.m. stop but we opted for the free hotel spread.

Looking at the forecast, which pretty much sucked on Saturday, we opted for a quick stop at the Como Park Zoo in St. Paul.

It’s free (they suggest a $3 donation and we gave $5 each), so we figured we’d check it out for a half hour or so and if the weather wasn’t bad on Saturday we’d come back.

This ended up being a great call.

One of the polar bears was extremely active and we got some great shots.

The other polar bear was having none of this energy expenditure. Maybe he had eaten at Black Forest the night before.

My bad photos:

From there it was off to Matt’s Bar to join the group.

Man v. Food had pitted the 5-8 Club vs. Matt’s as the best Ju(i)cy Lucy stops in the Twin Cities years earlier, so this was definitely one of the itinerary highlights for us.

Matt’s is definitely a Roadfood-ie place. None of the tables matched and they put five of them together in the corner to accommodate our group.

This stop was slated for 11 a.m. and thank God it was. The tables were all occupied within a half hour and there was a line out the door when we left.

We ordered Jucy Lucys and fries (theirs is the one with the intentional misspelling). They basically asked you if you wanted the Jucy Lucy and if you wanted onions on it, which of course is an abomination, so we opted out, and there was no choice in the done-ness of the burger – BuddyRoadhouse asked our server.

They all came out well done, which isn’t my preference but it was still very tasty.

Our seating quarters:

Ahead of schedule, we took our time once outside of Matt’s and headed to the northern suburb of Blaine, about 20 minutes away from Minneapolis.

Carol’s Kitchen awaited us, and our group size held us back quite a bit, timing-wise.  

We split into two tables of eight to 10 and ordered a couple of entrees and some desserts.

Having consumed my own Jucy Lucy, since Matt’s was a Crawl highlight for me, I wasn’t hungry when we descended on Carol’s, but I wish I had been.

The mint cream pie was arguably the best thing I tried all weekend, and the gravy that topped seemingly everything I tried was top notch.

Swedish meatballs were something I was very curious about in this region, and that was one of our initial entrée requests, but it was a special and hilariously enough the other table had gotten the last serving.

They were nice and shared, and I really enjoyed my portion.

Turkey and other Thanksgiving sides made their way around our table, with several items drowning in flavorful gravies.

With our hotel so close to Blaine and fish next up on the menu, we originally considered skipping Tavern on Grand in favor of a nap, since it was a fish stop, but I had abstained from food for two hours and really wanted a taste of walleye.

So back to St. Paul we went, and we were extremely glad we did.

ToG, in a beautiful, well-kept portion of St. Paul, is more bar than restaurant, but it had a private room waiting for us, which was fortunate because I believe this was the biggest group we had the entire trip.

My appetite was still almost non-existent, so all I ordered was the Minnesota wild rice soup. Cathy dismissed it because it had mushrooms, but I really enjoyed it.

It very much seemed like something one would enjoy during the 11-month cold season here. The flavors of the ample chicken, mushrooms, carrots, rice and broth meshed well together.

ChiTownDiner offered us a walleye bite, and I thought it was phenomenal. Deep fried to perfection and perfectly done in the middle.

ChiBears15 split the walleye sampler and I tried a bite each of the grilled, deep fried and blackened. All were fabulous and the blackened was one of the best bites of fish I’d ever had.

Having pre-approved Cathy by tasting all things fish and giving it my non-fishy-taste seal of approval, she tried and enjoyed everything as well, which is saying a lot.

She was extremely skeptical about catfish in Nashville last year but ended up a big fan. Two years, two types of fish go into the “like” column for her.

Way to go, Roadfood.

From there it was on to the Midtown Market. The area was sort of an armpit, but the setup inside was pretty cool. It had foods from tons of different cultures, and when I ran into ChiBears15 he informed me that he had ordered a camel burger.

This is apparently a defining moment of this trip, and by that I mean it's tantamount to the mom breaking the leg statue in A Christmas Story, so all I would say is kudos to ChiBears15 for buying, trying and sharing it, and while he hated it, I thought it was OK. The seasonings on it weren’t great but the meat was similar in texture to lean hamburger.

Maybe it tastes better on hump day.

I bought some fresh churros and deep fried plantains from the Hispanic kiosk. The churros were soft and delightful, and the plantains were decent.

This one-man band started playing as we headed out:

While other opted for returns to their respective hotels, with ours much further away we headed straight for our final stop of the night, Baku, on the west side of town.

Our hotel was well north of Minneapolis, so it would’ve been a wasted trip to fight rush hour to head there only to turn back around and drive to the restaurant.

Baku is in a small Russian strip mall, so we stopped into the liquor store to kill time. The owner had an adorable white cat with black spots hanging out on one of the multi-tiered racks by the exit, so we took a moment to give him attention.

We were the first ones in the restaurant, which was slightly intimidating. There was a vacant table for about 20 set up for us, and there were only three other people in the restaurant, all speaking Russian and sitting in the far corner.

The group eventually arrived, and Buddy – who had been here before and fell in love with the food – took charge and helped order for the entire clan.

Baku -- the city -- is actually the capital of Azerbaijan, which is east of Turkey and about as south as it gets among Russian states, so the food was heavily influenced by Middle Eastern culture.

This is a difficult meal to assess. Everything was a little out of our milieu, so my means of comparison is somewhat limited. But it was an excellent meal overall.

I thought the Cornish hen and the mini dumplings were highlights as we seemingly ordered seven servings of everything on the menu.

I hadn’t had much borscht, but while most filled up on the entrees, I quietly monopolized one of the bowls as I found it absolutely delightful.

There was some sort of breaded option that isn’t on the current menu, and the name escapes me, but it came in rectangular form and was quite tasty. I’m completely drawing a blank on the flavor and ingredients, I just remember what it looked like and that it was delicious.

Almost forgot, these meats kicked a lot of ass:

The borscht.

This was also very good...the memories are flooding back as I revisit the photos.

Yes, those are French fries. Not sure what that was all about.

Some people didn't like the cornish hen, so I gladly ate their share. I loved it.

We split the check and I was amazed we got out for under $20 a head.

Back to the hotel and back to Malone’s for some late-night brews and Stanley Cup playoff watching.
post edited by Bonk - 2019/06/05 14:33:55
Bonk
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 16:51:17 (permalink)
FRIDAY, APRIL 26 – I PAID FOR WAKING UP EARLY

I was originally going to skip Hell’s Kitchen. It’s breakfast, and it’s expensive breakfast, and it’s a rush-hour drive into downtown Minneapolis at 8 a.m., when few sane people venture out of bed during vacation.

I got talked into it.

The drive in wasn’t as bad as anticipated, and there was a pay lot across the street that apparently was going to work with us on the timing of the stop.

Not a breakfast guy, I ordered the Juicy Lu(i)cy, and Cathy got the cornbread pancakes. I thought the burger was excellent, and ChiTownDiner shared a bite of huevos rancheros, which I thought were also fantastic.

Cathy said her pancakes were OK, but she tried someone else’s lemon ricotta pancakes and said they were outstanding.

She also liked ChiTownDiner's dish.

The Spreadsheet impressed the proprietor:

ChiTownDiner's breakfast:

Can't remember who ordered this.

My REAL breakfast:

I’m probably one of the few naysayers among the group with regard to Hell’s Kitchen, but our bill was $37 ($45 after tip – the staff was excellent), and the douche rockets running the lot we parked at charged us $15 because we were there for 70 minutes and they told us they’d charge significantly less if left after an hour or less.

That’s $60 for breakfast.

We broke off from the group for a couple of hours to visit the Minnesota Zoo, located about 20 minutes south of Minnesota.

Cathy and I only spent about two hours there but saw a huge portion of this zoo, which is substantially spread out.

We’re both big fans of bears and big cats, so the Russian exhibit was a big hit as it featured decent quantities of both.

They also had an interactive area with farm babies that we enjoyed.

We rejoined the group for Wally’s Roast Beef, which had intrigued me since its first appearance on list of considerations.

We combine checks on a lot of stops, but Wally’s was cranking out a lot of food fast, so everyone ordered their own.

I went for the roast beef, of course, and I also went rogue and got a special, which was the barbecue sandwich, and I intended to share it with the group.

Well, we were on the later spectrum among the group and a substantial portion of the group ended up at the wrong Wally’s (more about that later), so I didn’t have any takers in terms of sharing the second sandwich.

The regular roast beef was amazing. I’d come here once a week if I was local. Juicy, medium rare beef complemented with a perfectly-portioned, flavorful bun and Swiss cheese.

My infamous barbecue:

I ended up eating the second sandwich, which was a colossal mistake that, as a four-year veteran of these Crawls, was unforgivable. Not only was I completely full, I felt almost a little nauseous.

Lots of consecutive unhealthy meals catch up to me these days.

We were off to Al’s Dinkytown Diner, which we rented afterhours. We had the place starting at 1:30, but I had no interest in eating. Not feeling well and with the temperature around 80 degrees inside, I walked outside to enjoy the beautiful weather.

Blackberry pancakes, phemonenal; I tried a bite and they were very good, but pancakes, meh.

To this point weatherwise, it was 75 each afternoon and about 50 at night, which is about as close to perfection as one could ask.

So the fresh air really helped.

While standing outside, Boyd handed me a bottle of beer, the name of which escapes me right now. He had picked it up at the store a block away, and it was extremely potent.

I waited until we were back at the room, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Boyd had to leave soon after, but I really enjoyed his company. Thanks for the beer!

Magnolia’s was the next stop, and I considered opting out. I was still stuffed from my doubleheader lunch at Wally’s.

Fortunately, Magnolia’s was a long drive back across town into St. Paul, and I was hoping by then my appetite would resurface, especially when I got a look and a whiff at what was inside.

Buddy had originally called ahead and asked them to reserve about 20 seats, and we were due there at 3:30. It was just Cathy and I as our target time came and went. Then it was 3:45. Then 4.

We started to feel like the group was through with our antics and had hatched a secret plan to reconvene elsewhere while sending us into Roadfood exile.

Buddy called, and ultimately it was just his foursome and us, with the Roadhouse clan arriving at 4:30 after battling rush hour traffic.

I preordered, and the food arrived about a minute before they walked in, so at least that worked out well.

We were instructed by Lucy to order a walleye platter, and we wanted their well-reputed fried chicken, so we got an order of seven whole wings, thinking that would be perfect for a group of six heading to a Hungarian stop which was not exactly known for its light fare.

The walleye came with sides, and I had to pick for everyone on the fly, so I went with the hash browns and Minnesota wild rice soup.

I love the wing. It was obviously deep fried with a sufficient but not overly heavy batter, and the chicken was extremely juicy and flavorful.

I tried a bite of walleye and enjoyed but thought it fell a little short of ToG. What do I know, I’m not a fish person?

The soup was excellent, as it was creamier that its ToG counterpart. I loved both equally, but their textures were very different.

For the second straight day we skipped the late-afternoon ice cream option and headed to Kramarczuk’s.

It’s a cafeteria-style restaurant in downtown Minneapolis with heaping portions of artery-clogging goodness.

Still in tasting mode vs. full-meal mode, I tried the pierogis, the cabbage roll and two different sausages, and I really enjoyed everything albeit in small portions.

Myself, Mrs. Bonk, ChiBears15, Wanderingjew and Mrs. Wanderingjew all parted from the group after an abbreviated meal and headed to Target Field, where the Twins hosted Baltimore.

It was 65 degrees and sunny at first pitch, well above average conditions for this time of year this far north.

Minnesota hit five home runs – including three in a row in the bottom of the first – and blew out the Orioles.

The view from our seats:

My highlights were buying a darn-good piece of pizza and watching a home run scramble in the right field bleachers. I walked around in the sixth inning, and I heard a crack of the bat followed by loud cheering.

I was walking from center field the right at the time, and I could see the ball descending about 100 feet ahead and heading from the concourse I was walking on. A fan with a glove had a beat on it, and he made a spectacular catch while drifting backward, but unfortunately his momentum carried him back into a cornhole area.

He tripped over one of the boards, landed on his back in spectacular fashion, all the time holding onto the ball.

Until he hit the ground. Then the souvenir squirted out the tip of his glove and rolled about a foot, where another fan pounced on it like a grizzly bear on a salmon after hibernation.

There was one replay angle I saw later where I coming into view, as I was easy to pick out wearing a bright red sweatshirt.

We dropped off the other three, headed back to the hotel and off to the pub for more hockey playoffs. Then bed.
Bonk
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 17:43:43 (permalink)
SATURDAY, APRIL 27 – THE MEAT MARKET

For two days, Wanderingjew and I had been comparing weather notes for this day.

We had seen forecasts ranging from a high of 36 and 1-3 inches of snow to possible early flurries and 41.

What we got resembled neither end of that spectrum, as the Roadfood gods shined down on us.

Well, actually it was the sun shining down but we took it.

After skipping yet another breakfast stop, we met up at Café Latte and Bread + Chocolate, two pastry shops caddy corner from each other on the outskirts of St. Paul.

The croissant at Bread + Chocolate was amazing, flaky and buttery with plenty of chocolate. I tried a couple of other sweets and they were solid.

This was outside:

The reason we visited the Como Zoo on Thursday was the sketchy forecast for today, but with any precipitation holding off and the temperate already in the low 40s, we headed back.

We were probably going to do that anyway after seeing on Thursday that this zoo had many indoor enclosures.

The kitties were active, but the polar bears were being lazy, which makes me glad we had scouted this stop out two days prior.

We spent plenty of time there, as our next actual scheduled stop wasn’t until 2 p.m.

The lone item in that four-hour span was the Hmong Marketplace.

I knew the Hmong people were Chinese but didn’t initially realize they hail from interior China, which was encouraging to me as I hoped for a meat-centric menu.

There were few signs anywhere on the market grounds, just some nondescript white buildings in a huge parking lot.

Almost all of the first building consisted of clothing and other artsy stuff that didn’t really interest me, but finally we hooked up with the Buddyroadhouse gang by a number of food stalls, and thank God for that as the next 30 minutes would represent the culinary high point of the weekend.

The Roadhouses had already several items in front of them, and after Buddy and I conversed with one of the stall owners and we saw a beautiful Fred Flinstone-portioned slab of beef rib, I decided that would be our contribution.

If the mint pie was my favorite sweet bite of the weekend, the prime rib was tops in the savory department. A close second was the sweet pork that was being passed around.

It was ultra-tender to the point that it broke apart upon biting, and was swimming in a delightful soy/hoisin bath that was neither too sweet nor too salty.

There was the stuffed chicken wings, packed with seasoned lo mein noodles. The wings themselves were super crispy, served whole and nearly bursting with noodles.

Somehow the texture and the contrast in flavors worked, and worked to near perfection.

The people couldn’t have been nicer, and they were extremely happy that we loved their food.

The stuffed wing:

The beef rib:

I thought we had a sweet pork shot but I think Lucy already posted one so we're good.

One thing about the Hmongs that I learned is they are extremely short of stature. Not exaggerating here, but the women averaged about 4-feet-10 and the men maybe 5-4.

Even the Roadhouse gang looked tall here, and Wanderingjew looked like he was among Lilliputians. At 6-2 I felt the same.

Thinking this would be a five-bite-and-move-on stop, I think I speak for the majority when I say I ate too much here.

That said, when you find a stop that is this remarkable, falling off pace isn’t such a bad thing.

It was the ultimate Bonk stop: A six meat and zero (footnote: credit to Nagle for initially coining the phrase ‘2-meat-and-0’ for my Nashville breakfast).

The problem was our next stop was more thick and hearty food at Kaffe Stuga. At least it was a 45-minute drive north to Harris, so we had an opportunity to burn a few calories on the ride.

We hung with CNW and the Wanderingjews here, and we kept it simple: The Swedish meatballs, the famous Minnesota hot dish and desserts: Raspberry pie and sour cream and raisin.

The meat balls were the top food item here, I thought, as I really enjoyed the texture and meaty flavor.

I go with the majority that I don’t get the hot dish concept, but I liked the casserole part. The tator tots just don’t seem to go with the rest.

I did have a bite of someone’s Minnesota wild rice soup and thought it was good but scored slightly below the other two I tried this weekend.

The sour cream pie was fine: It’s not something I would order but liked the bite I had. I liked the raspberry pie, which was loaded with some of the freshest raspberries I’ve ever seen in person.

Mrs. Bonk enjoyed it so much she ordered a second one.

So we had originally written off the waterfall park across the Wisconsin border when we saw the forecast, but it was now 50 degrees and sunny, so off we sped to the south and east for a calorie-burning nature walk.

Cathy had just gone under the knife for a torn meniscus in late October, and while she has been an exercise machine in her rehab since, this would be the first time attempting a potentially challenging walk.

While the hike to the waterfall was paved, there was an immediate problem when we turned the first corner: The downward slope to the base of the falls was extremely sharp.

And it kept going at that clip.

Around another bend and finally the road leveled off, carrying us to the waterfall.

Making my poorest decision of the trip – even worse that the second roast beef at Wally’s – I saw a lookout point that I walked to climb.

It appeared to be maybe 70-80 stairs, but as I kept climbing it was about twice that. I rarely am out of breath from walking, but I was sucking major wind by the time I reached the summit.

And really, the view wasn’t spectacular enough to justify my insanity. I got a nice look downstream, away from the falls, but I was pretty much on top of the waterfall itself with branches partially obstructing my angle.

I headed down, and I was still struggling winded, and now we had to tackle the road we had descended going the opposite direction.

Spoiler alert: We made it, and I couldn’t have been prouder of Mrs. Bonk. She wasn’t even out of breath when we hit the apex.

My look straight down after suffering a near cardiac arrest.

My look downstream.

We had done our requisite two walleye stops and post-Stuga stop was fish and chips, so we hatched an alternate plan.

The Nook in St. Paul was one of the Ju(i)cy Lucy stops that was scratched from the original list because of its lack of table space.

But we really wanted to try it, and there was an item on their menu that was a must for Mrs. Bonk: Honey-glazed, bacon-wrapped cheese curds.

We got a Lucy and the curds and headed to our final stop, the Lion’s Tap. We messaged the group and told them to meet us at our car to try some of each, and though we arrived a little after 6:30, almost everyone got there well after.

A look at the Nook...

Is that Bob Ross bowling on TV?

So a lot of people got to try the burger but it obviously was no longer hot. I still really enjoyed it, and the sweet and savory flavors accompanying the cheese curds made for a delightful appetizer.

The Lion’s Tap was as simple as it gets: Burgers and fries, and fortunately for us, one of our old former Cincinnati friends now living in MSP who goes by the screen name Divorceki was able to join us.

After well-founded complaints about the doneness level of Ju(i)cy Lucys, we were elated to find out we could order medium rare here.

It seemed like most did.

This was a burger done right. Melt-in-your burger-y goodness and gooey melted cheese in tandem with a smallish, thin bun that allowed the beef flavor to shine through.

I thought this and the Nook were the top burger stops of the weekend, although my first bite of Nook was 40-plus minutes after it came off the grill.

A preview on the way in:

The menu:

Yes.

With an early-morning flight upcoming, we said our good-byes, sharing a number of hugs, and we returned to our hotel.

I dropped off Cathy at Malone’s and parked the car at the hotel.

We were ecstatic that Divorceki could join us, and we were joining another couple.

As season ticket holders for Miami University hockey, we meet a lot of the players and have befriended a number of parents over the years.

Tonight we met up with the mother and father of Taylor Richart, a Rudy-type of player who was always too small and not skilled enough who continues to defy odds to this day because of his toughness, guts and hockey IQ.

Five-feet-10-inch, 185-pound defenseman rarely thrive in the Division I, much less the pros, yet he was one of the top three blueliners on the team’s depth chart by the time he graduated, and he scored 17 goals in his ECHL rookie season.

We hadn’t seen his parents in the three years since Taylor had graduated, but since they live in nearby Blaine, tonight we got to enjoy a couple of beers with them.

It was a truly enjoyable way to wrap up our trip.

The inside of Malone's:

Love this photo near the restrooms:

post edited by Bonk - 2019/06/02 17:54:45
Bonk
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 17:47:59 (permalink)
SUNDAY, MAY 28 – WE FOUND THE SNOW!

As we left the hotel, we realized that while Byerly’s was on our itinerary, we had skipped it because we had one across the street from our hotel.

It turns out despite intending to we never made it in four days.

Worse, the lone Portillo’s in the Twin Cities was less than a quarter mile from our room and I failed to pick up a hot dog or Italian beef there.

The return trip was uneventful, just the typical hotel security crap that makes flying such a turn-off.

We did notice as we headed south that a significant section of Iowa and Wisconsin was buried in snow.

We would’ve been in trouble if we had to drive south through that. Flying was the right call.

We tried familiar foods and unfamiliar foods, local delicacies and foreign delights, and it was all fantastic.

And as always, while the food was great, sharing it with a group we feel closer to every year makes the Food Crawl extra special and something we so look forward to every year.

A couple of postscript notes to individuals:

Buddy – I’m sure you get tired of hearing it, but thank you so much for organizing this trip. We really feel like we got a well-rounded culinary sample of MSP.

And to Mrs. RF, Mr. Maki and Abe, we were so glad you were able to join us and enjoyed getting to know you guys better.

The Wanderingjews – Glad we got to hang with you on a couple of stops and at the ball game, and Dale, I really enjoyed your suburban diner choices. Living on the outskirts of the Cincinnati suburbs, Carol’s and Stuga are our kind of stops.

ChiBears15 – Always love hanging with you, and if you’re ever near Cinci you’ve got a room to crash here.

And BTW, where’s the 2020 poll? Come on, it’s June!

Schlotz – Sorry we didn't get to say goodbye, but I finally did drink that beer back in the hotel, and thank God I did after hanging up the car keys. At 11.2 percent that would impair even the most seasoned beer drinker. Thank you.

CNW – I don’t think I told you thanks for picking up the tab at Stuga, but thanks for doing that. I have no idea why I left such an outrageous tip. Blame it on food overload.

Nagle and Wawa – We missed you guys but totally understand why you couldn’t make it. Would’ve been a helluva drive for you. We’ll try to catch up this fall.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9294
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 18:16:46 (permalink)
Very nicely done, Bonk!  I thoroughly enjoyed your words and photos, and can relate to Mrs. Bonk's need for a vacation.  My wife is also putting in lots of extra hours at work because the office is currently shorthanded, and even as I type this now she's working at the kitchen table.  Glad you guys were able to get away for some R&R.

I remember "Bowling Bob Ross", too...except I saw him on TV in a Des Moines pizza joint.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/06/03 07:58:23
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5330
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 18:38:32 (permalink)
Hey Bonks! Excellent and spot on Report!!! Now if we can get CTD and DannyBoyd to finish up!
Davidsanders
  • Total Posts : 1217
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 19:38:47 (permalink)
Loved the report. Sorry I wasn't able to attend.

David

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 993
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/02 22:14:29 (permalink)
Great report and beautiful photos, Bonk.  It was good to see you and Kathy!  Now I'm craving pie and cheeseburgers...
schlotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 10:18:15 (permalink)
Bonk and Mrs. Bonk -

Nice Trip Report! 

Had a great time on the crawl with you all and glad you enjoyed the beer...Cheers!
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5823
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 10:32:06 (permalink)
Schlotz, I heard a rumor about a beer. I can likely find in on Mr. Maki's Untappd.
schlotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 11:07:59 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 12:35:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/06/03 13:41:25
The beer is still safe and sound, cozily swaddled in the original bubble wrap schlotz used to transport it to MSP.  Mr. Maki had it all ready to go when we all visited MKE last week, then left it sitting at the front door.  It will be delivered, as promised, by whichever Roadhouse clan member(s) makes the next trip north of the Cheddar Curtain.  Your possession of two pints of Kopp's Bailey's Irish Cream Frozen Custard assures it will remain intact and unopened until delivery.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 13:42:03 (permalink)
That custard is also waiting by the front door.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 22:15:23 (permalink)
So it's returned to its original liquid state?

Buddy
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 22:28:45 (permalink)
Nope. In the deep freeze in the garage. Near a door anyway.
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 339
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/03 22:58:41 (permalink)
Nice report Bonk. We certainly missed the group this year.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/04 19:41:38 (permalink)
Many thanks to the Bonk household (and everyone else) for adding their pictures and commentary to this report.  Your input, both positive and negative, is the best "thank you" anyone can offer to whoever organizes these Crawls.

Hope to see more from all who attended.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12604
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/06 14:11:08 (permalink)
Great photos Bonk!  The animal photos are especially first-rate. 
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5394
Re: The 2019 Minneapolis/St. Paul Crawl Trip Report 2019/06/06 15:32:25 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Great photos Bonk!  The animal photos are especially first-rate. 

Many of those are actually Dale in select Furry costumes....
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5