Helpful ReplyThe 6 best slices of pizza in NYC

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1444
2018/09/06 08:06:56 (permalink)

The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC

Here's a New York Post piece on 6 best slices of pizza in NYC. Looks like the slice shops are going the way of the dinosaur, in favour of whole pies. But these places are taking up the slack and reintroducing (or keeping the faith) for the venerable old slice shop. Judging by the pics, I'd have no problem with any of the slices they listed. They all look really good! I think the breakfast pizza at Baker's Pizza and Espresso would be a real favourite for me. That looks like a slice of heaven!

https://nypost.com/2018/0...lices-of-pizza-in-nyc/
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7027
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/06 09:48:40 (permalink)
"Buying a slice" is quintessential NYC both for the tourist and denizen.

Even as wood and coal-fired ovens proliferate the venerable, humble Blodgett will endure - and will do so at least as long as McDonald's.

leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9521
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/06 10:12:50 (permalink)
My daughter has worked in Manhattan. We go there quite often. There are pizza places that sell very good New York Style slices for $1...yes $1...and it's a decent size, and tastes very good...certainly better than I've had in many places around the country. There have to be more pizza places in NYC than anywhere else in the world and while the quality varies, you certainly can get a good slice for a good price,,,and if you're not crazy about your purchase there are probably 3-4 other places on that block!!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/06 14:04:27 (permalink)
I've only had a true New York slice at one spot which is now closed - Ray's on Prince St.  Though we did have really good slices at one of the pizza places in Hamilton when I was at Colgate.  All 6 look good but it seems like Paulie Gees and the additional Di Fara location are the only ones listed serving traditional slices.  

We have a Paulie Gee location here in Columbus that only serves whole pies.  I haven't tried it yet but it is definitely on my list.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2916
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/23 11:49:23 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man, thanks for this post.  I'm always ion the hunt for a few good slices in NYC.  Some of these look very promising.  I've been meaning to get to Paulie Gee's so I'm glad he finally has a slice outpost.  I've been to Lions & Tigers & Squares a couple of times and while it's not traditional NYC pizza, it is very, very good.  It was started by the guys who founded Artichoke Basile here in NYC and it's their nod to Detroit-style pizza.  I don't know how authentic it is compared to places in and around the Motor City but I feel it is "must-try" when visiting the Big Apple.  
The $5.00 Classic Cheese Pie is a steal!  One important thing to note that the Post got wrong is that Lions & Tigers & Square doesn't serve slices.  Whole pies only.  They are cut into four slices but sold as a whole pie.  The most expensive is the sausage pie for $10.00.  Still, it's $2.50 a slice and a pie that is high on my list.
Love the double meaning with this sign! 

They really nail that crispy, browned cheese crust along the edges.  

And it's a really fluffy, chewy dough with an abundance of sauce on top.  

post edited by billyboy - 2018/09/23 11:50:34
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2916
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/23 11:59:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2018/09/23 18:48:43
hatteras04
I've only had a true New York slice at one spot which is now closed - Ray's on Prince St.  Though we did have really good slices at one of the pizza places in Hamilton when I was at Colgate.  All 6 look good but it seems like Paulie Gees and the additional Di Fara location are the only ones listed serving traditional slices.  

We have a Paulie Gee location here in Columbus that only serves whole pies.  I haven't tried it yet but it is definitely on my list.

hatteras04, while the Ray's on Prince Street has been gone for some time, it has been replaced by an even better pizza joint, Prince Street Pizza, which is one of my new favorite places.  Over the past few years, I've been there with Wanderingjew, Ralph & Lori Melton, The Travelin' Man & Tony Bad, many other friends visiting from out of town and numerous solo visits.  The Spicy Spring Street Sicilian slice is probably the best slice of pizza I have eaten in many years.  

joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5223
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/23 18:49:35 (permalink)
I’d crawl over the GW for that pizza!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/23 19:48:56 (permalink)
billyboy
hatteras04

hatteras04, while the Ray's on Prince Street has been gone for some time, it has been replaced by an even better pizza joint, Prince Street Pizza, which is one of my new favorite places.  Over the past few years, I've been there with Wanderingjew, Ralph & Lori Melton, The Travelin' Man & Tony Bad, many other friends visiting from out of town and numerous solo visits.  The Spicy Spring Street Sicilian slice is probably the best slice of pizza I have eaten in many years.  

WOW!!!
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/24 10:01:30 (permalink)
billyboy
hatteras04

I didn't realize this was in the same location.  And while I (obviously) haven't been there I have made the copycat recipe posted on serious eats and it was one of the best homemade pizzas I've ever done.  Now I just need to go compare with the original.

https://www.seriouseats.c...ian-pizza-at-home.html

lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/24 17:03:22 (permalink)

hatteras04, And while I (obviously) haven't been there I have made the copycat recipe posted on serious eats and it was one of the best homemade pizzas I've ever done.  Now I just need to go compare with the original.

I, too, made Kenji's recipe, two pans full for a family party.  Best pizza I've ever made, and top ten I've ever eaten.  
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5255
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/26 11:15:35 (permalink)
joerogo

You do and I'll buy the pizza. Just please watch for traffic.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/09/26 13:51:21 (permalink)
Tony Bad
joerogo

You do and I'll buy the pizza. Just please watch for traffic.

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2187
Re: The 6 best slices of pizza in NYC 2018/10/04 00:22:25 (permalink)
In the old days, 27 Prince Street was mobbed up:
https://nypost.com/2013/09/22/secret-mob-history-of-rays-pizza/

There are a couple of articles out on why Ray never trademarked his store name earlier. Hence, all the Ray's Pizzas in New York.

I don't even read those "10 Best" feature articles anymore. I am firmly convinced publicists are behind compiling all those lists.
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5