The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine)

Author
scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2411
2018/08/01 15:20:55 (permalink)

The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine)

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/best-bbq-restaurants

15 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5679
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/01 22:16:02 (permalink)
    Food & Wine and bbq is like oil and water.
    post edited by 1bbqboy - 2018/08/02 09:22:21
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/02 07:55:56 (permalink)
    Barbecue certainly isn't the first genre that comes to mind, that's for sure.

Surprisingly, I've been to 2 of the 3 Wisconsin places!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7088
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/02 09:28:57 (permalink)
    The headline should be:

"Barbecue/BBQ" Can Now be Found in Every State!"

God has truly Blessed America.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1339
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/02 12:11:14 (permalink)
    I don't know if it is really the best in the state, but I am very happy for the publicity for Ray Ray's here in Columbus.  I know it's been very good and consistent over the years.  I've been going to him since he opened in a convenience store parking lot a while back and I followed him a few blocks south to his current location.  Good ribs, pulled pork and burnt ends.  The brisket is decent but I've never gone on a Sunday for his grass fed brisket which is supposed to be better.  He seems to have a very serious personality and I think that comes through in the meat.  Only bad part is now the lines will probably be worse.   
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1514
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/02 15:09:22 (permalink)
    Nice to see Big Hoffa's in Westfield, IN made the list. I liked them the one time I went. They have good meats, but their sides are mediocre. Indiana just really doesn't have a lot of good 'que. The old GT South's in north Indy was pretty, but they suddenly closed up a while back. I hope Hoffa's stays around awhile, but I'd like to see them up their sides game.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3600
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/04 23:35:20 (permalink)
    I've read very good things about Mike's Barbecue, the place they give for Pennsylvania. They are in South Philadelphia and I just discovered the other day that they belong to a delivery service that we use frequently for lunch at my office. I am planning on trying them, probably some time this coming week.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9635
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/05 00:51:52 (permalink)
    I guess barbecue is becoming like pizza 60+ years ago: It's spreading out from its root locations across this great land. Good pizza...good barbecue now can be found anywhere!!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7088
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/05 09:06:16 (permalink)
    leethebard
    I guess barbecue is becoming like pizza 60+ years ago: It's spreading out from its root locations across this great land. Good pizza...good barbecue now can be found anywhere!!

I agree save for "anywhere".

As can be seen from the Travel & Leisure article MilwFoodlovers posted above, some places still confuse barbecue (smoking) with "grilling" (direct heat over wood or charcoal). 

Hell, it's all good, but not all of it is barbecue.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9635
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/05 11:02:30 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    leethebard

I agree save for "anywhere".

As can be seen from the Travel & Leisure article MilwFoodlovers posted above, some places still confuse barbecue (smoking) with "grilling" (direct heat over wood or charcoal). 

Hell, it's all good, but not all of it is barbecue.

Agreed!! 
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5679
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/05 11:14:35 (permalink)
    In different parts of the country, bbq gets merged into the soul food restaurant category which they can be, but don’t have to be.
    Meat, French fries, beans and beer
    define the category for me.
    And sometimes peach cobbler!
    McJeff
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/10 02:30:04 (permalink)
    West Virginia's not exactly a haven for BBQ, but I've been to Dem 2 Brothers three times and... I don't know, maybe I have terrible luck with Dem 2 Brothers because it gets tons of glowing reviews, but I've been there four times and my experiences with them have always been between "close miss" and "just not all that good."  Ribs tasty but too dry one time, tasty and moist but not too hot one time

Pioneer Pit Beef in Maryland is one of my all time favorites and deserving of a listing on roadfood.com, it's one of the few truly irreplaceable places from my move from MD to WV.  But it's not bbq at all - it's pit beef. 
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12331
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/10 07:02:33 (permalink)
    McJeff-
    100% agree on Pioneer Pit Beef.  I have been there a half dozen times and have good photos, so I need to get off my butt and get that place written up...
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4237
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/10 09:37:42 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    McJeff-
    100% agree on Pioneer Pit Beef.  I have been there a half dozen times and have good photos, so I need to get off my butt and get that place written up...

So happy that you are going to do  a review about this outstanding place. I wrote about it  here years ago and it is so worthy.  Over the years, we have taken many out of town guests here and everyone one loved it.
    phlmaestro
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    Re: The Best BBQ in Every State (according to Food and Wine) 2018/08/30 13:35:03 (permalink)
    I mentioned above that I'd give Mike's BBQ, the PA choice, a try. I had some brisket and pork ribs delivered by a local restaurant delivery service to my office for lunch today.  The order was a pound of brisket and a full rack of ribs for four people. We brought sides from home as it was a costly lunch even with just the meat.  The place is definitely legit and up there with the best barbecue in Philly, which isn't exactly like being up there with the best barbecue in Austin or Kansas City. But it's a lot better than anything we had here up until the past few years, when Fette Sau, one of the top BBQ places in Brooklyn, opened a Philly location.

I have no complaints about the ribs. They were as good as I could have hoped for this side of the Mason-Dixon line. The brisket had nice, oak-inspired flavor, but it was on the dry side. Having smoked a few briskets myself, I know how hard it is to avoid that.

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5