Hot!The Best Thing to Eat in Every State

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10068
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 13:57:02 (permalink)
Wintahaba
Dale, 2 questions.

What is the "Black" pastrami at Harry's on the Pastrami Burger?

At Duffy's...Have Steamers gotten that $ everywhere? The Littlenecks and the Maine's.

I had the sliders with onion straws and cheddar so I really can't comment on the Pastrami burger.
Steamers (and seafood) are quite expensive all around everywhere.

Like I said yesterday, the most popular seafood shack right now is the Matunick Oyster Bar (and that's with people my age, not millenials)
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 680
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 14:04:46 (permalink)
The menu at the Matunick Oyster Bar looks awesome and quite reasonable price wise. Jonesing for fresh seafood like I am, I would hate to see my bill after a visit there.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 806
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 14:05:04 (permalink)
lleechef
Surprisingly, this list is, for the most part, "regionally appropriate".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodculture/the-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-state/ss-BBA5Z6U?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U356DHP

Not a bad list, overall.   I never knew that cheese dip was a big thing in Arkansas.  

For Delaware, although there is a Thrashers Fries in Rehoboth Beach, the home of Thrashers (and where they are best known) is in Ocean City, MD.  

This list probably "gave" them to Delaware because MD already had the obvious choice of crab cakes.  

I wonder if they could have listed Date Shakes for Californina. Although they are mostly in small area of CA, they are one of the few foods (drink?) that can only be found in one state.  Has anyone ever found a date shake outside of CA?   

For RI, clam cakes are a decent choice.  I agree with Dale that calamari is "the appetizer" of RI, and could've also been a reasonable choice.  I also agree with others that jonnycakes would be a decent choice.  
I'll also throw in baked scrod, which is on almost every seafood restaurant menu.   (In MA, they add an "h", and spell it "scHrod", as they add Haddock to the mix.  In RI, scrod is almost exclusively cod.  In MA, it can be cod or haddock.)  
S.C. = Small Cod
S.C.H. = Small Cod/Haddock

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2017/05/03 14:07:36
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 14:32:10 (permalink)

The few times I've been to Duffy's I usually just order the snail salad and a stuffie. And they've been just as good as ever. This time I ordered the baked stuffed shrimp which honestly was just as good as what is served at Twin Oaks. Sandra had a side salad, stuffy and chowder, and had no complaints. I know bad seafood and I was so disgusted with my last few visits at Iggy's (the last time I visited was in 2011 with buffetbuster) that I hadn't returned. I have heard they have improved tremendously so I do look forward to revisiting.

I think it's a case where several visits are needed to get an overall impression.  It's funny how we were recently discussing restaurant meet-up possibilities, and we had opposite experiences with a few places.  Flo's versus Evelyn's, Duffy's versus Iggy's, etc.  ... And, my last couple visits to the venerable Twin Oaks have been sub-par.   Harry's burgers are sounding better and better!  Crow's Nest is consistently good, too.  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2017/05/03 14:34:21
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11375
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 14:40:06 (permalink)
Love date shakes!  They can be found all over the Palm Springs area but I've never seen one outside of CA.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5340
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 14:46:53 (permalink)
I'm 20 miles from California, but about 800+ from dates. I'm in on the fish tacos as I think they have become standard fare far beyond the Golden State's borders but are home grown.
I love Mission burritos, but they don't even make it to the whole state.
rudebarb
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 14:50:59 (permalink)
Glenn1234
lleechef
Surprisingly, this list is, for the most part, "regionally appropriate".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodculture/the-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-state/ss-BBA5Z6U?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U356DHP

Not a bad list, overall.   I never knew that cheese dip was a big thing in Arkansas.  

For Delaware, although there is a Thrashers Fries in Rehoboth Beach, the home of Thrashers (and where they are best known) is in Ocean City, MD.  

This list probably "gave" them to Delaware because MD already had the obvious choice of crab cakes.  

I wonder if they could have listed Date Shakes for Californina. Although they are mostly in small area of CA, they are one of the few foods (drink?) that can only be found in one state.  Has anyone ever found a date shake outside of CA?   

For RI, clam cakes are a decent choice.  I agree with Dale that calamari is "the appetizer" of RI, and could've also been a reasonable choice.  I also agree with others that jonnycakes would be a decent choice.  
I'll also throw in baked scrod, which is on almost every seafood restaurant menu.   (In MA, they add an "h", and spell it "scHrod", as they add Haddock to the mix.  In RI, scrod is almost exclusively cod.  In MA, it can be cod or haddock.)  
S.C. = Small Cod
S.C.H. = Small Cod/Haddock

Glenn

Actually, scrod stands for seaman's catch release of the day, not the name of a fish or fishes.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10068
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 15:15:48 (permalink)
Glenn1234

The few times I've been to Duffy's I usually just order the snail salad and a stuffie. And they've been just as good as ever. This time I ordered the baked stuffed shrimp which honestly was just as good as what is served at Twin Oaks. Sandra had a side salad, stuffy and chowder, and had no complaints. I know bad seafood and I was so disgusted with my last few visits at Iggy's (the last time I visited was in 2011 with buffetbuster) that I hadn't returned. I have heard they have improved tremendously so I do look forward to revisiting.

I think it's a case where several visits are needed to get an overall impression.  It's funny how we were recently discussing restaurant meet-up possibilities, and we had opposite experiences with a few places.  Flo's versus Evelyn's, Duffy's versus Iggy's, etc.  ... And, my last couple visits to the venerable Twin Oaks have been sub-par.   Harry's burgers are sounding better and better!  Crow's Nest is consistently good, too.  

Glenn

My last visit to Twin Oaks probably around 3 years ago, was just as good as my first visit way back in 2001.
I have an old thread about Flo's probably going back to 2005 and essentially it expressed my disappointment. I should try to dig it up- I haven't been back since.

****edit*****

I found it here

I was actually with Mike at the time.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/05/03 15:20:09
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 15:34:03 (permalink)
Cinnamon rolls from Stroud's?  Not even close to being the best cinnamon rolls in the area, let alone the best thing to eat. They have some fans, but frankly, in my family, no one wants to take them with them after we eat there.

Coney Islands I feel better about for Michigan. They were smart not to name a specific place. But I would have picked whitefish for Michigan.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 16:29:20 (permalink)
I have an old thread about Flo's probably going back to 2005 and essentially it expressed my disappointment. I should try to dig it up- I haven't been back since.
 ****edit*****
 I found it here

Dale -  I have not had the stuffies at Flo's.  I had fish and chips (possibly just the fried fish without the chips?).  My usual "go to" item for the first time at a clam/seafood shack type place is their fried cod.  I remember it being very good, but that was a few (5 or 6?)  years ago.  Also, it was the Island Park/Portsmouth location near the Sakonnet Bridge.  I think that sometimes when people have different experiences at places, it is often a matter that they ordered different items.  When people order the same menu item, it makes for more of an apples to apples comparison.   You would think that a seafood joint would have consistently good seafood across the menu, but surprisingly, it doesn't always work out that way.   For example, I loved the clam cakes at George's of Galilee, but I found nearly everything else I've had there to be mediocre, at best.  

Glenn

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5