Hot!The Best Thing to Eat in Every State

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11355
2017/05/02 11:12:50 (permalink)

The Best Thing to Eat in Every State

Surprisingly, this list is, for the most part, "regionally appropriate".

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodculture/the-best-thing-to-eat-in-every-state/ss-BBA5Z6U?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U356DHP

39 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9867
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 11:43:38 (permalink)
    Although I totally agree with Colorado's assessment, I know all the hipsters in Colorado are going ballistic
    (no pun intended)

I'm considering a  return to Colorado next spring after nearly a 10 year absence.  If I do, I know my off the plane meals will be in this order

1. Buckhorn Exchange

2. The Fort
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/05/02 11:45:25
    chickenplucker
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 648
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 11:48:21 (permalink)
    They were oh so close on Georgia. Peach Pie and Peach Cobbler are basically the same thing....
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 11:51:06 (permalink)
    I would happily eat 1lb. of King crab legs here next time I'm in Anchorage!!! 
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10232
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 12:04:51 (permalink)
    A very decent list.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8526
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 13:42:36 (permalink)
    Let's start the grand tour now...!!!
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 13:56:24 (permalink)
    Pretty good...enjoy everything, except haven't had many of the desserts...not a huge fan. ironically we got our Taylor Ham delivered on Friday and enjoyed a pork roll/egg on sesame bagel on Sunday. YUM!
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 16:01:26 (permalink)
    We both did find the choice of fried green tomatoes a little lame for Alabama.  Especially since they have that unique white BBQ sauce (Miss Myra's) and all the fantastic seafood we had at Wintzel's in Mobile with the Glee Club.  But.........I do love good fried green tomatoes!
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11276
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 16:29:07 (permalink)
    Mission Burrito for California?  It died a quick death outside of the Bay area... in the 80s!

What would our best dish be?

Smoothies! (Joking, Dale)

Nut crusted things?

French Dips?

Dungeness Crab?

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 16:40:35 (permalink)
    mar52
    Mission Burrito for California?  It died a quick death outside of the Bay area... in the 80s!

Nut crusted things?

French Dips?

Dungeness Crab?

I would go with cioppino or tri-tip bbq.

Wonder why they chose to call Indiana's selection Hoosier Pie? Every menu around me lists it as Sugar Cream Pie, not Hoosier Pie. Even Wicks Pies, the statewide mass producer of them, and the company cited by the state in the state pie proclamation, calls it Sugar Cream.
    IndianaPete
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 17:49:07 (permalink)
    Was wondering if a fellow Hoosier would pipe up.  Lived here since 1958, NEVER heard ANYone call it hoosier pie.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 17:55:34 (permalink)
    mar52

Nut crusted things?

French Dips?

Dungeness Crab?

Smoothies? Why not!  you guys have more juice shops than any other state in the US probably combined- although I think that's just a So-Cal thing - however I would automatically discount that since I think the listing is for "food" and not "drink" or I would have considered Agua Frescas for Arizona and Horchata for New Mexico.

I still think they should have listed calamari for Rhode Island- it's now the "official" state appetizer, but perhaps stuffies would have been an even better choice considering how much Chi Town Diner loves em'
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 18:16:01 (permalink)
    I was a little surprised about "clam cakes" for RI.  I would have thought calamari, stuffies or Johnny cakes for that state.  I'm not crazy, crazy about stuffies but I never met calamari I didn't love.......fried, in red sauce over linguine, white sauce over linguine, stuffed, calamari meatballs, etc.  My favorite place on the planet to get calamari is here.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 18:24:52 (permalink)
    lleechef
    I was a little surprised about "clam cakes" for RI.  I would have thought calamari, stuffies or Johnny cakes for that state.  I'm not crazy, crazy about stuffies but I never met calamari I didn't love.......fried, in red sauce over linguine, white sauce over linguine, stuffed, calamari meatballs, etc.  My favorite place on the planet to get calamari is here.

Oh...here in Rhode island it's fried calamari bathed in a garlic butter sauce, then  load them up with hot pepper rings...

Root-Beer Man
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 19:34:18 (permalink)
    lleechef

I don't know. When I, as a former resident of RI, think of iconic RI food it's clam cakes, Johnny Cakes, stuffies and coffee milk. Calamari doesn't even make a hit on my list, as other Italian fare from Providence makes the grade and fills out the list.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 19:47:15 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man
    lleechef

I don't know. When I, as a former resident of RI, think of iconic RI food it's clam cakes, Johnny Cakes, stuffies and coffee milk. Calamari doesn't even make a hit on my list, as other Italian fare from Providence makes the grade and fills out the list.

As a current resident I can tell you that things are constantly changing and that time marches on. Calamari is the official state appetizer of Rhode Island- look it up.  The younger folks want something new and different, they don't want what their grandparents ate. One of the most popular restaurants in Providence, Los Andes is a Peruvian Restaurant and is incredibly busy even during off hours.  I just had an amazing burger at Harry's Burger Bar
    Right now (and for the past few years)   this place is probably the most popular restaurant in Rhode Island. So popular that police need to direct traffic in and out of the place. Probably the only restaurant in Rhode Island that can claim that fame- this is what I call "the new Roadfood"
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 20:17:21 (permalink)
    Not really interested in what Millennial's consider "Roadfood". My interest is in classic, regional fare. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 20:30:53 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man
    Not really interested in what Millennial's consider "Roadfood". My interest is in classic, regional fare. 

Well, folks of all ages are changing their tune too, it's not just millenials, it's now generation x-ers like myself and many "in the know" baby boomers too. My interest is in classic regional fare too but when I mention it in places like Boston and The Twin Cities where its very much alive and well, I get rudely ridiculed
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 20:32:27 (permalink)
    I agree, Root-Beer Man. I know where to go if I want sushi, Columbian fare, etc. When my cousins came to visit from California, they wanted to know what WE love. And it was nothing they ever had. I am not sure Rhode Island has the biggest iconic restaurants.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/02 21:39:18 (permalink)
    That is wonderful! They had nothing else to claim  for a long time. I am not trying to be a bitch, but really? Jiggers?
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5315
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 09:44:54 (permalink)
    Cinnamon rolls from a Missouri joint with a suburban Ks location is bogus.
    I call foul.
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 11:26:45 (permalink)
    Rhode Island....Autocrat Coffee milk and Johnnycakes. 
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 11:36:23 (permalink)
    Wintahaba

In all my years in Rhode Island I've yet to come across anyone over the age of 12 that drinks coffee milk. I'm not trying to be facetious...I'm dead serious. I'm also convinced I'm the only one who eats Jonnycakes. I once took a poll of my coworkers  about Jonnycakes and here were their responses...

1.....What's a Jonnycake?

2..... Ewww...Gross.....

3. My grandparents eat them....

There are a handful of Restaurants that do serve them....so I guess I'm not the only one eating them...(I guess it's my coworkers' grandparents??)

Root-Beer Man
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 11:55:44 (permalink)
    I drink coffee milk almost daily. I get mine from Dave's Coffee in Narraganset. I eat Johnny Cakes, too. I buy my favourite mix from Kenyon's Grist Mill in West Kingston. I went to school with the man who runs it now. They make everything you need to eat like a real Rhode Islander. Their Clam Cake mix is killer, especially when you can get hold of some RI quahogs.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 12:47:17 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man
    I drink coffee milk almost daily. I get mine from Dave's Coffee in Narraganset. I eat Johnny Cakes, too. I buy my favourite mix from Kenyon's Grist Mill in West Kingston. I went to school with the man who runs it now. They make everything you need to eat like a real Rhode Islander. Their Clam Cake mix is killer, especially when you can get hold of some RI quahogs.

My girlfriend and I went to two different restaurants last Saturday for lunch and dinner.
    For lunch we went to Harry's Bar and Burger. They have two locations both in Providence. Rhode Island definitely has a decent burger culture and there's no shortage of good burgers in the ocean state. The burgers are served slider style and the restaurant was surprisingly hopping for a Saturday afternoon.

For dinner we went to an old mainstay in Wickford, Duffy's Tavern, a venerable seafood restaurant/dive bar that's been around as long as anyone could remember and is about as iconic Rhode Island as you can get. The restaurant and bar entrance are separate. In fact baseball hall of famer, the late  Ted Williams used to hang out there after fishing in Galillee. I remember going there 12-15 years ago, even during off hours you still had to wait for a table. We returned Saturday evening, the food is just as good as ever (even though I was disappointed that they didn't have my "usual" snail salad)k, however there was no one in the restaurant, and we were told to seat ourselves in the bar. We are in our early 50's yet we were the youngest people there. Sadly even though the food is just as good as it's always been, the restaurant somehow lost it's luster and seemed "old and tired". Like I said before, things change and time marches on... 

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 12:56:19 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Wintahaba

In all my years in Rhode Island I've yet to come across anyone over the age of 12 that drinks coffee milk. I'm not trying to be facetious...I'm dead serious. I'm also convinced I'm the only one who eats Jonnycakes. I once took a poll of my coworkers  about Jonnycakes and here were their responses...

1.....What's a Jonnycake?

2..... Ewww...Gross.....

3. My grandparents eat them....

There are a handful of Restaurants that do serve them....so I guess I'm not the only one eating them...(I guess it's my coworkers' grandparents??)

Dale -  I agree that it is hard to find Jonnycakes in restaurants.  When I lived in RI, I don't recall many restaurants having them back then, either. ... But, ... my Mom, and all my friends' Moms made them.  They are popular in RI, but made more in the home than in restaurants.   They were also a common item at festivals, firehouse, Grange, and Lions Clubs' breakfasts, including the "May breakfasts", etc.  (May Breakfasts' are a unique RI oddity).   It is likely likely that Jonnycakes are more common in their native "South County" (Washington County) than the rest of the state.   It would not surprise me if people in the central and northern parts of RI have never tried them.   As you know, RI has a unique population that thinks driving "all the way" to the other side of the state is an epic journey.  You find lots of South County people who have never had an Olneyville Wiener, or Caserta's, Angelo's, or Wright's in the northern part of the state.  ... And plenty of people from Providence County and some of Kent County who think it requires a passport and an overnight reservation to take a trip to Misquamicut.  ;)   

The big name in Jonnycakes is Kenyon's Grist Mill.  As Root-Beer Man has a connection with the person who runs it, it would be interesting if he could contact that person and ask how sales of the their Jonnycake mix compare between now and 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago, etc.  I'm guessing that the mix is still stilling selling fairly well in grocery stores for the people making them at home, and still not selling tons to restaurants, as they are not so common in restaurants, as you know.    Perhaps, they are not so much a  RI "RoadFood", but more of a unique RI "Home Food"?    It would be interesting if Root-Beer Man could obtain some sales info from them.  Even if they don't give out precise numbers, maybe they would at least indicate how sales are now compared to years ago.  

Jonnycakes were recently popular enough that they had an entire festival dedicated to them.   The Jonnycake Festival ran until 2014.  The reason cited for the cancellation was not lack of interested.  The reason given was that there was loss in the family, and that planning the event was such a monumental task that it took 14 months to plan.    

From the Jonnycake Festival site:  

<<<<...."[<font]In 2014 Johnny Cake Festival at Kenyon’s Grist Mill had been officially canceled.  To ensure the success of this event, our small staff at the mill and two main coordinators need to begin planning and developing the event 14 months in advance.  It is a monumental project!  Over the winter of 2013, the Drumm family suffered a tremendous loss of a loved one - Paul Drumm Jr., caretaker of a Rhode Island tradition and owner of Kenyon’s Grist Mill since 1971.  During a very long and trying time, amidst the most critical planning months, the difficult decision to cancel the 2014 festival was made.  At this time, the Johnny Cake Festival will be canceled until further notice.  [<font]We hope to bring it back very soon![<font][<font][<font]"....>>>>

[<font][<font][<font][<font]

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2017/05/03 13:08:04
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 13:32:08 (permalink)
    Dale, 2 questions.

What is the "Black" pastrami at Harry's on the Pastrami Burger?

At Duffy's...Have Steamers gotten that $ everywhere? The Littlenecks and the Maine's.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 13:32:57 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    Root-Beer Man

My girlfriend and I went to two different restaurants last Saturday for lunch and dinner.
    For lunch we went to Harry's Bar and Burger. They have two locations both in Providence. Rhode Island definitely has a decent burger culture and there's no shortage of good burgers in the ocean state. The burgers are served slider style and the restaurant was surprisingly hopping for a Saturday afternoon.

For dinner we went to an old mainstay in Wickford, Duffy's Tavern, a venerable seafood restaurant/dive bar that's been around as long as anyone could remember and is about as iconic Rhode Island as you can get. The restaurant and bar entrance are separate. In fact baseball hall of famer, the late  Ted Williams used to hang out there after fishing in Galillee. I remember going there 12-15 years ago, even during off hours you still had to wait for a table. We returned Saturday evening, the food is just as good as ever (even though I was disappointed that they didn't have my "usual" snail salad)k, however there was no one in the restaurant, and we were told to seat ourselves in the bar. We are in our early 50's yet we were the youngest people there. Sadly even though the food is just as good as it's always been, the restaurant somehow lost it's luster and seemed "old and tired". Like I said before, things change and time marches on... 

Interesting that you mentioned Duffy's.   Duffy's is in my home town , and across the street from my Jr. High School.   Last time I was at Duffy' was for a school reunion in summer of 2014.  (Same summer I saw you and Mike at Frank & John from Italy.).    The food at Duffy's was sub-par.  My parents, who still live in that town,  are also some of those former customers who don't go there any more.  They think the food has gone way down hill.  They are now frequent customers of Iggy's ... both the Narragansett/Galilee location and the Warwick/Oakland Beach location.   They used to not like Iggy's at all, until someone convinced them to try it again.  Iggy's has had a huge upswing of quality and business in the past few years.  Also, a lot of the former Duffy's customers now hit the Oak Hill Tavern, which is just a short drive (maybe a mile?) down the road from Duffy's.   We think Oak Hill is far better than Duffy's.   I know the owner of the Oak Hill Tavern.  He re-habbed and saved an old failing business.  He was a former business partner with the owner of Duffy's.  Many of the former Duffy's clientele followed and went to Oak Hill.  

Side story on Duffy's: ... Several of my former teachers at Wickford Jr. High used to hit Duffy's after school, and knocked back a few  (or so we heard!)!   As kids, we must've caused them a heck of a lot of stress!   

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2017/05/03 13:37:17
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re: The Best Thing to Eat in Every State 2017/05/03 13:54:54 (permalink)
    Glenn1234
    wanderingjew
    Root-Beer Man

Interesting that you mentioned Duffy's.   Duffy's is in my home town , and across the street from my Jr. High School.   Last time I was at Duffy' was for a school reunion in summer of 2014.  (Same summer I saw you and Mike at Frank & John from Italy.).    The food at Duffy's was sub-par.  My parents, who still live in that town,  are also some of those former customers who don't go there any more.  They think the food has gone way down hill.  They are now frequent customers of Iggy's ... both the Narragansett/Galilee location and the Warwick/Oakland Beach location.   They used to not like Iggy's at all, until someone convinced them to try it again.  Iggy's has had a huge upswing of quality and business in the past few years.  Also, a lot of the former Duffy's customers now hit the Oak Hill Tavern, which is just a short drive (maybe a mile?) down the road from Duffy's.   We think Oak Hill is far better than Duffy's.   I know the owner of the Oak Hill Tavern.  He re-habbed and saved an old failing business.  He was a former business partner with the owner of Duffy's.  Many of the former Duffy's clientele followed and went to Oak Hill.  

Side story on Duffy's: ... Several of my former teachers at Wickford Jr. High used to hit Duffy's after school, and knocked back a few  (or so we heard!)!   As kids, we must've caused them a heck of a lot of stress!   

Glenn

The few times I've been to Duffy's I usually just order the snail salad and a stuffie. And they've been just as good as ever. This time I ordered the baked stuffed shrimp which honestly was just as good as what is served at Twin Oaks. Sandra had a side salad, stuffy and chowder, and had no complaints. I know bad seafood and I was so disgusted with my last few visits at Iggy's (the last time I visited was in 2011 with buffetbuster) that I hadn't returned. I have heard they have improved tremendously so I do look forward to revisiting.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5