The Burgerama at the Hungry A in Broomall, PA

Author
phlmaestro
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1083
2018/12/29 17:02:31 (permalink)

The Burgerama at the Hungry A in Broomall, PA

Broomall is in the western suburbs of Philadelphia. I may have mentioned it on here as the home of the first eastern outlet of Freddy's Frozen Custard. During our various drives over to Freddy's I've noticed a place that appeared to be a luncheonette with potential, but it was always closed when we went by. The place is called the Hungry A. I looked it up and it's only open for breakfast and lunch. We're rarely by there during that time on weekends and never during the week. But we had errands to run in that direction today and decided to give it a shot. It turned out to be a fantastic experience. It's one of those places where you go almost as much for the experience as the food. It's fairly small with no tables, but a good amount of counter space with plenty of stools. The grill and ordering counter is to the right as you walk in.

And they have a theme. There are 19th century posters, mostly for Philadelphia theaters and opera houses of the day, all over the walls. 

A special performance for the general and former president (I attended many Philadelphia Orchestra concerts in the Academy of Music before the Orchestra moved a block south to a new hall):

The good brother (and this performance was some years after the assassination):

This is the paper I have worked at for years. We're very old (no … I didn't write or edit that edition):

My wife had egg, cheese and mushrooms on a roll:

I had the sandwich I had read about online: The Burgerama.

It's not that unlike the sandwich they sell at Zaharakos in Columbus, IN: ground beef with cheese and the toppings of your choice, only on a cheesesteak roll instead of bread. I had it with fried onions, pickles and ketchup.  I liked it, but if there was a complaint, it was that the ratio of meat to roll wasn't that great. It needed a bit more meat. I ordered a regular Burgerama. They also have a Double Burgerama, which I assume is twice the meat on the same roll. I'll get that next time. 
The Hungry A will be celebrating its 55th anniversary this March. The husband, who has been there since it opened and mans the flat-top grill, and wife who own it are extremely friendly and welcoming. The wife greeted us at the door and asked if it was our first time there. She guided us through the experience. They also seemed to be on a first-name basis with most of the other people there. A mailman stopped by to chat and pick up his lunch. A priest was downing his regular sandwich and paused to joke around with the owner on his way out. It was just a great place to be for 45 minutes. 

I believe the LB before Burgerama stands for Little Bruce. The owner, named Bruce, told me his son created the sandwich about 15 years ago. 

They also have milkshakes. I'll have to try one the next time I'm there.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2019/01/27 18:56:29

4 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9240
    Re: The Burgerama at the Hungry A in Broomall, PA 2018/12/29 17:21:31 (permalink)
    Definitely looks like a cool place!  Are you going to try their version of a cheese steak sometime?  Incidentally, I noticed that on Hungry A's menu it's "cheese steak" while some other places call it a "cheesesteak"...are the 2 terms interchangeable in the Philly area?

The opera theme is right up your alley, sort of!

phlmaestro
    • Total Posts : 1083
    Re: The Burgerama at the Hungry A in Broomall, PA 2018/12/29 17:44:12 (permalink)
    I'm a lot more into orchestral music than opera, but I still enjoyed reading the posters.

I've always assumed cheesesteak is one word. But spelling it as two words still works grammatically. It's probably just a way to stand out a little.  I'd like to get a double Burgerama the next time I'm there. I don't see making it a frequent lunch spot for of the reason you and I have been discussing in terms of not going out much for lunch on Saturdays because I'm busy doing other things. But I would like to eventually try a cheese steak. If I live in my current area long enough and they don't go out of business soon, I'm confident I'll eventually get around to it.
    Davidsanders
    • Total Posts : 1191
    Re: The Burgerama at the Hungry A in Broomall, PA 2018/12/29 18:44:25 (permalink)
    I wonder if the Havana Opera Company sang in Spanish.
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2710
    Re: The Burgerama at the Hungry A in Broomall, PA 2018/12/29 20:28:16 (permalink)
    I like the prices.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5