Helpful ReplyHot!"The Canadians Are Coming, The Canadians Are Coming! Hide the Cheese Curds and Beer!"

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 979
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/12 22:07:25 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Throwing this out there with plenty of lead time...

Anybody up for dinner in the Milwaukee area on Saturday, June 8?  Mrs. C and I are going to the Brewers game that day and since it starts at 3:10 we'll be ready for some chow once the game's over, and Bluemound Road west from Miller Park certainly offers a lot of options.  I'm definitely interested in checking out Maxie's sometime.

Any further plans on this outing?
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 761
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/13 11:25:44 (permalink)
is all of the planning for the 24-26 on this thread? 
We have a bubble run the morning of the 25th (and will probably hotel it the night before)
but I think we'll be done fairly early-mid-day on the 25th,
and might be able to join up somewhere...
E
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3634
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/13 12:58:35 (permalink)
I will try to stop in at McBob's depending on the meet time.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6560
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/13 15:04:17 (permalink)
irisarbor
is all of the planning for the 24-26 on this thread? 
We have a bubble run the morning of the 25th (and will probably hotel it the night before)
but I think we'll be done fairly early-mid-day on the 25th,
and might be able to join up somewhere...
E

ScreamingChicken and I have asked the mods to split this conversation off into its own thread.  The thread's title refers to "spontaneous/casual/unthemed events".  Clearly the amount of planning and discussion involved for this gathering disqualifies it from any of those descriptors.

If they accomplish the split, further discussion will be handled there.  Otherwise, this is the place where you'll find the answers to all of life's most important questions, like, "What time will we visit Ed's Potsticker House, and is the Garlic Eggplant still on the menu?"

Answers: TBD and yes.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9095
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/13 17:41:49 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Clearly the amount of planning and discussion involved for this gathering disqualifies it from any of those descriptors.

I'm pretty sure that by the time it's all said and done, we're going to be in Minneapolis.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/13 19:56:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/13 22:26:59
No Brats allowed at Target Field, just Lutefisk and Hotdish.  And Camel Burgers.

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/15 16:41:16 (permalink)
We love Ed's potsticker house :)
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/18 16:52:18 (permalink)
Some new developments for our Canadian Friendship Weekend in general, and for our visit to Milwaukee in particular.

Starting with the Milwaukee stuff, I've got a firm(ish) schedule for Sunday the 26th:

10:45am-ScreamingChicken's tailgate at Miller Park
Noon-McBob's
1:15pm-Sobelman's
2:00pm-Pabst Mansion Tour (Chosen by our guests from a looong list of non-eating options)
3:30pm-Glorioso's
4:30pm-Chilango Express or Jalapeno Loco (maybe both if we get ahead of schedule)
5:30pm-Maria's
7:30pm-Kopp's (on Layton)

After that we'll either be exhausted and go home, or still kickin' and go for a nightcap at Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall.

Friday and Saturday in Chicago are shaping up as more or less North Side/South Side Tours.

North Side options, so far, include:
Sunset Pho (Vietnamese/Serb Fusion)
Nottoli Italian Foods (neighborhood family grocery serving Italian Beefs and Subs)
Pizza y Pan Pa' Ya (Colombian Pizza, Street Foods, and Pastries)
Charcoal Flame (Authentic Greek PORK Gyros in north suburban Morton Grove)
La Unica Food Mart (Cuban Sandwiches, etc. in a grcoery store)

South Side picks, so far:
Carnitas Uruapan Restaurant (Carnitas, duh)
Ed's Potsticker House (Smoked Pork Belly Pancakes and Garlic Eggplant)
Lawrence's Fish and Shrimp (Fried Seafood with maybe a side trip to Chinatown for Chinese bakeries)
Freddy's Pizza (Italian Deli stuff, Gelato, Italian Ice)
Ricobene’s (Breaded Steak Sandwiches)

AND...we have a special opportunity for a very special dinner.  But first a quick backstory...

We have brand new next door neighbors; a lovely young couple, Tony & Melena.  Turns out, he's the in-house butcher at Girl and the Goat!  See, told ya it was quick.

Anyway, he's offered us an instant reservation anytime we want.  This is not a comped meal, mind you, but still a generous offer for one of Chicago's best, and best known restaurants, with a reservation waiting list three months long.  Not sure which night we'll visit GatG.  I thought I'd gauge interest here first before settling on a day.

I'd like to make the reservation ASAP, so please let me know if this is of interest, even if you won't join us for the rest of the tour.  This would likely happen at the end of either day after we've visited all the other stops.

Hope to see everyone somewhere, sometime next weekend.

Buddy

JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5687
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/18 18:51:57 (permalink)
Jeff,

I don't think in & out of Miller Park and over to McBob's can happen in 1:15. Especially once we get a taste of the bratwurst prepared by the ScreamingChicken.

Jim
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/05/18 18:56:23
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/18 19:02:41 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Jeff,

I don't think in & out of Miller Park and over to McBob's can happen in 1:15. Especially once we get a taste of the bratwurst prepared by the ScreamingChicken.

Jim

I'm basing that on SC's instructions to arrive at 10:45, and his stated plans to head into the park by noon.  Google says McBob's is 5 minutes away.  If he changes his schedule, we can adjust.

Buddy
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1093
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/18 21:24:48 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Some new developments for our Canadian Friendship Weekend in general, and for our visit to Milwaukee in particular.

Starting with the Milwaukee stuff, I've got a firm(ish) schedule for Sunday the 26th:

Noon-McBob's
1:15pm-Sobelman's
2:00pm-Pabst Mansion Tour (Chosen by our guests from a looong list of non-eating options)
3:30pm-Glorioso's
4:30pm-Chilango Express or Jalapeno Loco (maybe both if we get ahead of schedule)
5:30pm-Maria's
7:30pm-Kopp's (on Layton)

After that we'll either be exhausted and go home, or still kickin' and go for a nightcap at Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall.

Friday and Saturday in Chicago are shaping up as more or less North Side/South Side Tours.

North Side options, so far, include:
Sunset Pho (Vietnamese/Serb Fusion)
Nottoli Italian Foods (neighborhood family grocery serving Italian Beefs and Subs)
Pizza y Pan Pa' Ya (Colombian Pizza, Street Foods, and Pastries)
Charcoal Flame (Authentic Greek PORK Gyros in north suburban Morton Grove)
La Unica Food Mart (Cuban Sandwiches, etc. in a grcoery store)

South Side picks, so far:
Carnitas Uruapan Restaurant (Carnitas, duh)
Ed's Potsticker House (Smoked Pork Belly Pancakes and Garlic Eggplant)
Lawrence's Fish and Shrimp (Fried Seafood with maybe a side trip to Chinatown for Chinese bakeries)
Freddy's Pizza (Italian Deli stuff, Gelato, Italian Ice)
Ricobene’s (Breaded Steak Sandwiches)

AND...we have a special opportunity for a very special dinner.  But first a quick backstory...

We have brand new next door neighbors; a lovely young couple, Tony & Melena.  Turns out, he's the in-house butcher at Girl and the Goat!  See, told ya it was quick.

Anyway, he's offered us an instant reservation anytime we want.  This is not a comped meal, mind you, but still a generous offer for one of Chicago's best, and best known restaurants, with a reservation waiting list three months long.  Not sure which night we'll visit GatG.  I thought I'd gauge interest here first before settling on a day.

I'd like to make the reservation ASAP, so please let me know if this is of interest, even if you won't join us for the rest of the tour.  This would likely happen at the end of either day after we've visited all the other stops.

Hope to see everyone somewhere, sometime next weekend.

Buddy

So sorry I'm going to miss it, but I'll be in Savannah on Friday and Saturday. I hope I can find something to eat down there.

David

irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/18 23:43:18 (permalink)
We’ll be around except late Fri and early Sat. If Girl / Goat is Sat nite I’d definitely be interested.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/18 23:43:19 (permalink)
We’ll be around except late Fri and early Sat. If Girl / Goat is Sat nite I’d definitely be interested.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/20 14:00:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiBears15 2019/05/20 14:34:25
BuddyRoadhouse

Noon-McBob's

Since tailgating is weather-dependent, you might want to figure an alternate schedule.  So far the forecast for Sunday isn't the greatest but there are still 6 days to go; if things are still iffy by the end of the week I'll probably make the go/no-go call sometime Saturday.  Personally I hope the weather cooperates, as I'd really like to regale you with fun stories of my battle with norovirus this past weekend.

BuddyRoadhouse
We have brand new next door neighbors; a lovely young couple, Tony & Melena.  Turns out, he's the in-house butcher at Girl and the Goat!

The way restaurant owners exploit labor makes me sick.  Here's a guy doing a critical job for a highly regarded and successful Chicago establishment, yet he's paid so little he and his wife are forced to live among the dregs of society...it's like a 2019 version of The Jungle.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/05/20 15:01:13
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/20 15:01:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/05/20 20:42:12
How dare you sir!  We are not "the dregs of society" as you claim.  Why, we barely register as dross or even debris.  I'd say we're closer to chaff.  Possibly residuum.  Gosh, I love thesaurus.com.

Anyhoo...I appreciate the heads up on Sunday's weather forecast.  The version I'm looking at keeps wavering between rain and just cloudy.  Currently showing a 20% chance of precipitation, but yesterday it was up around 60%.

If the tailgate gets washed out, we'll probably just move everything up a notch and make McBob's our first stop.  I might call an audible and add a stop midday, if we get ahead of schedule, but I think what we've got is already pretty ambitious.

While I have everyone's attention, we might as well talk about a Thursday night Welcome Dinner.  LAmuse Bouche recently posed the idea of visiting Mykonos (the restaurant in Niles, not the island off Greece).  The Contingent had a wonderful meal there several years ago, and it might be time for a return visit.  Yes, it's a bit of a journey for the CheeseHeads, but it's well north of the city, so no fighting Chicago traffic.  It's right off the Golf Road exit, so minimum tolls and easy to get to.  They have valet parking and outdoor seating if the weather cooperates.

It's also a good pick for our guests.  They'll have been on the road for a solid eight hours or more, and Mykonos is just a short drive from their hotel.

I estimate we'd be looking at 7pm or a little later for dinner.  Any interest?

Buddy
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/20 16:22:22 (permalink)
Mykonos was great the last time we ate there

ChiBears15
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 501
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/20 16:27:57 (permalink)
7pm Thursday works for me, Jeff.

Danny
nagle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 330
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/20 20:43:06 (permalink)
Mykonos sounds great Jeff.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5687
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 02:20:38 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

You are one in a million MFL.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 09:05:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2019/05/21 09:48:16
abe_froeman
ScreamingChicken
Anybody up for dinner in the Milwaukee area on Saturday, June 8?  Mrs. C and I are going to the Brewers game that day and since it starts at 3:10 we'll be ready for some chow once the game's over, and Bluemound Road west from Miller Park certainly offers a lot of options.  I'm definitely interested in checking out Maxie's sometime.

Nothing at the moment but still on the table.  Once the upcoming weekend passes we can work out the details.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 09:15:18 (permalink)
7 PM on Thurs would be great- I'm in, Frank is maybe or running late 
E
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 09:48:03 (permalink)
I don't think we'll be able to make it to Mykonos...maybe, depending on how late you guys are there.  I have an appointment that goes until 8:30, and is about 30 mins away.  Let me know if there's a nightcap somewhere and maybe I'll join you.

I am in for whatever happens Friday and Mr. Maki and I are both in for Saturday.  I think we're going to start Sunday at McBob's, though.

Buddy, something worth checking out- this week's episode of Chicago's Best was all markets, which I know is one of your favorite food venues.  Maybe some new places to consider.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 09:50:11 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
abe_froeman
ScreamingChicken

Nothing at the moment but still on the table.  Once the upcoming weekend passes we can work out the details.

Thanks, Mr. Chicken.  Just wanted to make sure it was still a potential thing and I'll continue to hold it on my calendar.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3634
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 14:06:39 (permalink)
JRPfeff
MilwFoodlovers

You are one in a million MFL.

or I guess maybe not.
post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2019/05/21 14:09:21
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 272
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 15:47:38 (permalink)
I'll be available for to/from tailgate rides Sunday.
Is there still a Cermak grocery stop planned.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 16:17:51 (permalink)
Gyp
I'll be available for to/from tailgate rides Sunday.
Is there still a Cermak grocery stop planned.

Even if we don't shop there, it seems like a convenient, close meeting place where we can leave our cars for an hour or so.  Agreed, or something better in mind?

ChiBears15
7pm Thursday works for me, Jeff.
Danny

nagle
Mykonos sounds great Jeff.

irisarbor
7 PM on Thurs would be great- I'm in, Frank is maybe or running late 
E

Including LA Muse Bouche, it sounds like a party of seven (maybe eight) for Mykonos.  If anyone else is interested, please let me know ASAP so I can adjust the reservation.  I'm calling it for 7pm at this point, but subject to change.  It all depends on the Nairn's travel time from Buffalo, NY to Chicago.  Google says 8 1/2 hours.  Add in gas/rest stop breaks and lunch and it'll be closer to 11 hours.  The wild card will be Chicago rush hour traffic.

Also, I'd like to make the reservation for Girl and the Goat ASAP.  Both Friday and Saturday nights work.  Hoping for a little more input from y'all.

Working on revisions for the rest of the days' activities.  Updated itinerary will be posted soon.

Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/21 18:28:29 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Also, I'd like to make the reservation for Girl and the Goat ASAP.  Both Friday and Saturday nights work.  Hoping for a little more input from y'all.

I vote for Saturday.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/22 10:57:38 (permalink)
Friday is out for me- Sat would work for Frank and I 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/22 17:52:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2019/05/23 07:26:04
Here's the head count, as I understand it, for dinner at Mykonos on Thursday, and Girl and the Goat on Saturday:

Mykonos, Thursday 7:30pm (need to allow a little extra travel time, in case nagle & Wawa Mama are running late)
nairn & Wawa Mama-2
LAmuse Bouche-1
irisarbor & Frank-2
ChiBears15-1
BuddyRoadhouse & Mrs.-2
Total: 8

Girl and the Goat, Saturday 7:00pm (or whatever time they can squeeze us in)
nairn & Wawa Mama-2
irisarbor & Frank-2
abe_froeman & Mr. Maki-2
BuddyRoadhouse & Mrs.-2
LAmuse Bouche-1
ChiBears15-1
Total: 10

If I've missed anyone, please let me know ASAP so I can adjust the reservations.

I'll post the rest of the weekend's activities shortly.  Sunday is pretty much a done deal, depending on whether (weather?) or not the tailgate happens.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/05/22 19:28:46
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Contingent casual/unthemed events 2019/05/22 18:58:41 (permalink)
After much struggling, I think I've nailed down the Chicago stops for our Canadian Cousins' visit.

As you can see, there are seven stops per day; probably more than we can handle.  The only sure bets are the first and last stops, each day.  Likewise, except for the first stop, all the times are approximate.  Anyone hoping to jump into the tour in the middle should call my cell first to find out where we are, and where we're going next.  If you need my cellphone number, send me a PM and I'll be happy to oblige.

Friday on the North Side
11am-Nottoli Italian Foods, 7652 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, (773) 589-1010
        (Neighborhood family grocery, serving Italian Beefs and Subs.  Big thumbs up from ChiBears15)
12:30pm-Charcoal Flame, 6800 Dempster Street, Morton Grove, (847) 966-1200
        (Authentic Greek PORK Gyros)
2:00pm-Hoosier Mama, 749 Chicago Ave, Evanston, (847) 868-8863
        (Chicago's finest sweet and savory Pies.  One of CTD's all time faves)
3:00pm-La Unica Food Mart, 1515 W Devon Ave, Chicago, (773) 274-7788
        (Another neighborhood grocery, this one serving Cuban Sandwiches, street food, etc.)
4:00pm-Pizza y Pan Pa' Ya, 3125 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, (773) 463-2617
        (Colombian Pizza, street foods, and pastries)
5:00-Red Hot Ranch, 2072 N Western Ave, Chicago, (773) 772-6020 IF THE WEATHER IS CLEAR
                                  3057 N Ashland Ave, Chicago, (773) 661-9377 IF IT'S RAINING
        (Ticks off a bunch of boxes: CSDs, great Smashdown Burgers, outstanding Fried Shrimp)
6:00pm-Sunset Pho, 2856 N Clark St, Chicago, (773) 275-2327
        (Vietnamese/Serb Fusion.  Very cool menu)

Saturday on the South Side
11:15am-Vito & Nick's, 8433 S Pulaski Rd, Chicago, (773) 735-2050
         (One of the best places to get Chicago Tavern Style Pizza; the non-touristy one)
12:45pm-Lem's BBQ, 311 E 75th St, Chicago, (773) 994-2428
         (Classic South Side Chicago 'Que, prepared in an "Aquarium Smoker")
2:00pm-Ed's Potsticker House, 3139 S Halsted St, Chicago, (312) 326-6898
         (Smoked Pork Belly Pancakes, Garlic Eggplant.  An irisarbor favorite!)
3:00pm-Ricobene’s, 252 W 26th St, Chicago, (312) 225-5555
         (Best known for their Breaded Steak Sandwiches)
4:00pm-Lawrence's Fish and Shrimp, 2120 S Canal St, Chicago, (312) 225-2113
         (Great fried seafood)
5:00pm-Carnitas Uruapan Restaurant, 1725 W 18th St, Chicago, (312) 226-2654
         (Regarded as Chicago's best Carnitas)
7:00pm-Girl and the Goat, 809 W Randolph St, Chicago, (312) 492-6262
         (High end menu, one of the city's best known spots)

Sunday in Milwaukee (Depending on weather.  If rain cancels the Tailgate, we'll make McBob's our first stop at 11am)
10:45am-Tailgate with ScreamingChicken at Miller Park, 1 Brewers Way, Milwaukee
Noon-McBob's, 4919 W North Ave, Milwaukee, (414) 871-5050
1:15pm-Sobelman's, 1900 W St Paul Ave, Milwaukee, (414) 931-1919
2:00pm-Pabst Mansion Tour, 2000 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, (414) 931-0808
3:30pm-Glorioso's, 1011 E Brady St, Milwaukee, (414) 272-0540
4:30pm-Chilango Express, 7030 W Lincoln Ave, West Allis, (414) 541-8201
         or Jalapeno Loco, 5067 S Howell Ave, Milwaukee, (414) 483-8300
        (maybe both if we get ahead of schedule)
5:30pm-Maria's, 5025 W Forest Home Ave, Milwaukee, (414) 543-4606
7:30pm-Kopp's, 7631 W Layton Ave, Greenfield, WI, (414) 282-4312
Optional Nightcap-Kochanski's Concertina Beer Hall, 1920 S 37th St, Milwaukee, (414) 837-6552

Quick note, Pabst Mansion Tours happen every hour, on the hour.  Cost is $14 for adults, $12 for seniors.

Hoping to see as many Contingencies as possible while John & Jen (nairn & Wawa Mama) are in town.

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2019/05/22 19:13:17
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5